• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probably most of Scientology's funds come from us spending on Tom Cruise movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
As much as I'm against religion in general that really is a false equivalency, it's not about what nut jobs do in the name of religion it's about what the religion itself does, if the pope starts signing kids up to 1000 year slave labour contracts then you might have a point

Uh, have you read the holy books of the Abrahamic religions? Their God is jealous and bloodthirsty. Except in Christianity where he changed his mind and instead punishes you with eternal torment in Hell if you don't play along with Jesus.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
well if it's true, Scientology would have a flea ridden shack as the main HQ if it were for me

IISANDERII

Oblivion is terrible? It's one of the best scifi films I've ever seen, right below top tiers like Alien, Blade Runner, Interstellar etc
Fuck you, Sally.

I guess it beats "Now stick it back in, it fell out." for last lines in a movie script.
Though it is a bad line, that isn't the last line in the film.

Famassu

not to defend scientology here but if we dissected how all celebrities went about spending their earnings from films we'd probably find ourselves not really liking any of them
Of course it's not possible for people to investigate every actor's personal life & how they spend their money & what kind of shitty things they possibly fund, but in case of very widely known cases like Tom Cruise providing funding to a horrible organization like scientology with all the money people throw at his movies, I don't think it should be that hard for people to vote with their money. I mean, if we found out Peter Jackson funds ISIS, would you still go see a movie version of Silmarillion or something of his in the future (let's assume it's actually good unlike Hobbit)? Of course scientology isn't as bad as ISIS, but it's still pretty far up there as far as scummy organizations go.

That said, yes, I have stopped watching Tom Cruise movies for exactly this reason. Edge of Tomorrow was the last movie I'll see from Tom Cruise.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I liked Oblivion.

Scientology has a lot of money regardless of Tom Cruise - they took money from people and put them in labour camps, didn't pay taxes for decades, and have countless high-valued properties all around the world.

Thank you for being straight on how they keep getting money. Too many people don't really examine the why or how of how this nasty organization operates. I hate scientologist more than I hate jesuits and satanist, though not freemasons. Scientology knows what it is doing and only wants more people to brainwash and abuse to keep themselves going.

I wonder how many gaffers know they have vaults in certain mountain ranges with their shit imprinted on gold tablets, even moses used stone for the ten commandments. The only thing I should be thankful for is that it's unlikely to be discovered that way if everything goes to shit.

They've had money for a long time. My not going to see his movies probably would do jack shit to harming them. They are a financially smart organization.

Syriel

Along with other rich famous people in the Church.

"When Tom Cruise's last movie came out [Oblivion]. It was a terrible movie. But we were going around telling everybody how awesome the movie was. Go see the movie. So Tom Cruise can get paid. And we can get paid."

Scientologists have poor taste in movies, confirmed.

Oblivion certainly wasn't terrible. It was derivative, but it wasn't bad. Enjoyed watching it on the big screen. Would watch again.

They've had money for a long time. My not going to see his movies probably would do jack shit to harming them. They are a financially smart organization.

Anybody can be successful financially if they're allowed to steal. Scientology isn't a smart organization, it's a crooked, dishonest organization that strong armed the IRS through endless lawsuits in order to save millions in taxes and fleeces its members for as much as they can squeeze out of them. There's nothing smart about that, it's just evil.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I heard that rumour too. Probably did it to boost his image and get people to see his mov . . .

FUCK

The source was one trash magazine that claimed the same thing a few years earlier.

Fj0823

Uh, have you read the holy books of the Abrahamic religions? Their God is jealous and bloodthirsty. Except in Christianity where he changed his mind and instead punishes you with eternal torment in Hell if you don't play along with Jesus.

Woooosh!!!

What a way to miss the point. No euphoria for you .

He means the actual practices of the organization as a whole. Not the beliefs themselves. Watch going clear.

Edit; The guys force you out of your family, spy on you, force you to give them money, force you to abandon friends and family, they kidnap people too if they tryoto leave or talk.

No shit. They make all their money off their own. And since Tom is high on the rank, makes sense he makes the biggest donations.

But i don't feel bad for liking his movies. (Never go to the theater to see them anyways)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom