• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Producers fired over Asiana pilots' fake names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/KTVU-producers-fired-over-Asiana-pilots-fake-4685627.php
KTVU-TV has dismissed at least three veteran producers over the on-air gaffe involving the fake names of those Asiana airline pilots that became an instant YouTube hit - and a major embarrassment to the station.

Station sources confirmed late Wednesday that investigative producer Roland DeWolk, special projects producer Cristina Gastelu and producer Brad Belstock were all sent packing following an in-house investigation into the July 12 broadcast of four fake names of the pilots involved in the Asiana Flight 214 crash at San Francisco International Airport on July 6.

A fourth - noon news producer Elvin Sledge - told colleagues he was leaving for health reasons.

During its noon newscast on July 12, anchor Tori Campbell announced that "KTVU has just learned the names of the four pilots who were on board" the ill-fated plane - then proceeded to read from a teleprompter while the phony names were displayed on a graphic.

The names she gave were Capt. Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow.

Only after the station returned from a break did Campbell - who had clearly been unaware of the mistake - read an on-air correction, telling viewers that the station had confirmed the names with the National Transportation Safety Board.

By day's end, the NTSB issued its own apology for "inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed" to KTVU. Soon after, the NTSB announced that it had fired a summer intern over the incident.

Sources tell us the fake names - which had been posted on the Internet at least two days before - came to the station via e-mail from an expert source who had provided information to the station in the past.

Colleagues said they were saddened, but not completely surprised by the dismissals given the international attention the gaffe got, including a threat - later dropped - by Asiana to sue to the station.

Why would the source do that? Was it just for kicks?

jaxword

This is a strange "justice" story to read in the sea of non-punished police shootings and power abuse.

Hmm.

Monocle

The joke was fucking hilarious though. It's racist but not malicious or vulgar. I doubt it caused any authentic offense.

ramyeon

The joke was fucking hilarious though. It's racist but not malicious or vulgar. I doubt it caused any authentic offense.
How is it appropriate to make fun of a tragedy?

If this was Americans being made fun of in a similar circumstance would people be responding like this?

mrkgoo

I don't find the racism particularly offensive, just more the situation. Tragic event, someone making jokes.

Monocle

How is it appropriate to make fun of a tragedy?

If this was Americans being made fun of would people have the same response?
The joke used the situation as an abstract background, not as the punchline. It's tasteless to poke fun at a tragedy, but plenty of great jokes are irreverent. See: everything Louis CK has ever said on stage.

That broadcast was absolutely the wrong time and place to make a racist joke, but it was still funny.

Hitler visiting Auschwitz????
Word has it he loved juice.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Why were the producers fired is the NTSB confirmed the names to them? Did I miss something or did the producers know they were fake, or is this more a "You can't be that stupid, you're fired" type deal (which would be understandable)?

Dead Man

Why were the producers fired is the NTSB confirmed the names to them? Did I miss something or did the producers know they were fake, or is this more a "You can't be that stupid, you're fired" type deal (which would be understandable)?

Yeah, seems they were scapegoated a bit.

Steelrain

It's called "Covering your Ass". If you rely on people watching your program and those people call for blood, you better deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom