• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nirolak said:
Well, Metal Gear Solid 2 was ported to the Xbox and PC, but not the GameCube, which I think says something about what Konami thought of the platform.
To be fair, Microsoft probably paid for the port considering they had a 3 month exclusivity window in the US. And Konami didn't even bother releasing the Xbox version in Japan.

Same thing pretty much happened with Silent Hill 2, they were both announced before Xbox even hit shelves, and then their sequels skipped the system.

Krowley

Nirolak said:
Nintendo's goal here would presumably be to not end up like the GameCube, where the system was fully capable of receiving ports, but didn't because publishers didn't believe there was an audience for their titles on the platform.

If Nintendo is publishing successful games in the genres that third parties make their games in, third parties will believe that a market exists on the Cafe for their titles, and thus keep porting them.

It's actually probably true to some extent. If nintendo wants FPS type gamers and the xbox crowd, they need to make a killer first party FPS or something along those lines. Multiplatform games, regardless of quality, aren't going to be system sellers, and nintendo's traditional fans have often proven to be fickle. I can understand why some devs would fear a gamecube scenario where the software might sell too poorly to bother porting.

Nirolak said:
What Microsoft showed with Kinect was that they could appeal to the same casual audience that liked the Wii by offering them a new concept designed around things that appeal to them.

Nintendo would be well served by releasing a few core games with innovative new concepts to appeal to Western core gamers if they want that market. Obviously a Call of Duty clone won't work, but neither will just releasing a new 3D Mario game with even higher production values.

Also, this quote seems to indicate they plan to do just that:

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429086

I think the success of this effort will determine much of their success with the Cafe, especially in terms of expanding beyond the Wii audience.

E3 is gonna be insane.

P90

Amir0x said:
Right, but it's also likely because the core game is smaller and thus easier to fit on 1.8GB. Metal Gear is not the type of game that should be disc split.

In other words, Konami is not adverse to the idea of Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms. They jumped at the opportunity to remake for 3DS, and they jumped at the opportunity to remake for GCN. i just think GCN was primarily missing such big games as GTA and Metal Gear ports due to disc space more than 'kiddie lol'

IIRC MGS1 for the PSX was multi disc. MGS1> MGS 2 thru 4. Multi disc ftw.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
lunchwithyuzo said:
To be fair, Microsoft probably paid for the port considering they had a 3 month exclusivity window in the US. And Konami didn't even bother releasing the Xbox version in Japan.

Same thing pretty much happened with Silent Hill 2, they were both announced before Xbox even hit shelves, and then their sequels skipped the system.
This is true.

Though you do bring up a good point. While Microsoft's efforts failed initially, they paid off in the long run, so Nintendo should consider paying to get ports if they can't incentivize third parties through other means to port games to the system.

Amir0x said:
I agree that Nintendo should stick to being Nintendo. But I disagree with your assertion that helping third parties out and forming partnerships and making the environment friendly to their titles amounts to Nintendo 'changing its focus.' They compete in an environment where they must compete. If they don't, others will simply take the window of opportunity to make their platforms even better.

I think Nintendo realizes that.

Third parties should do what they're good at same as Nintendo should do what they're good at. Nintendo merely needs to facilitate an environment that seems friendly to what third parties are good at while fostering their own talents. Same as you wouldn't ask Nintendo to change who they are, we definitely should not ask third parties to change.

No I agree with you here.

Nintendo is really stupid sometime.

They had a 'Dream Team' before, but they need to stop telling 3rd parties what they can and cannot do let them do things that they are strong at and stop cutting corners on the tech that 3rd parties need.

GameCube
(a purple purse without dvd-playback and a small amount of disk-space when compared to other platforms at the time)

^ Stop doing this first before trying to be friendly because no matter how cozy you are with your partners when you get the hardware wrong from the start they cannot make a profit from a failing piece of crap hardware. Only your Mario and Zelda will sell because they fans cannot get it on Playstation.

I don't think Nintendo was ever lacking in friendliness well not since the arrogant days of the NES-SNES when the Pimp was in charge.

What they lacked was to give 3rd parties hardware that were just barely enough to make the grade. If it had power they found other ways to gimp it.

Wii no matter how successful could not provide a death blow to PS3 and 360 because of simple lack of power and HD that was all it would have taken for the Wii to really crush them with motion, power, and HD early on.

They are the ones that limited their own platform enough that the 3rd parties went with the HD and eye candy over motion enough times to provide 360/PS3 and environment to have their own success.

If I was a 3rd Party I would not rush back to Nintendo, I would take my sweet time and wait it out as long as my games sold well on 360/PS3 I would not care much about Cafe.

ElFly

Amir0x said:
Right, but it's also likely because the core game is smaller and thus easier to fit on 1.8GB. Metal Gear is not the type of game that should be disc split.

Eh, MGS1 was born split, and MGS4 could have easily been split in 4 or 5 discs if necessary, given its structure.

In both versions of MGS1 (psx and gc) the whole game is repeated and the bulk of the data is voice. At least MGS2 could have been easily done that way. Dunno 3.

FoneBone

Nirolak said:
This is true.

Though you do bring up a good point. While Microsoft's efforts failed initially, they paid off in the long run, so Nintendo should consider paying to get ports if they can't incentivize third parties through other means to port games to the system.
The market is not what it was last generation; if Nintendo needs to pay third parties just to get simultaneous versions of multiplatform games, then they're fucked.

EDIT: And I don't buy that there's any reason that they would need to do that - that's the argument I'm used to hearing from crazy Nintendo fanboys with massive persecution complexes.

Now, keeping third-party support is another matter entirely.

ElFly said:
Eh, MGS1 was born split, and MGS4 could have easily been split in 4 or 5 discs if necessary, given its structure.

In both versions of MGS1 (psx and gc) the whole game is repeated and the bulk of the data is voice. At least MGS2 could have been easily done that way. Dunno 3.

Oddly enough, 3 is going to be on a 2GB storage device now.

Amir0x

Banned
P90 said:
IIRC MGS1 for the PSX was multi disc. MGS1> MGS 2 thru 4. Multi disc ftw.

Please. MGS3 eviscerates MGS1. Nostalgia ftl.

But, there is a reason we leave behind certain archaic principles. Also it was cheaper to produce CDs than multiple-GCN discs, certainly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FoneBone said:
The market is not what it was last generation; if Nintendo needs to pay third parties just to get simultaneous versions of multiplatform games, then they're fucked.

EDIT: And I don't buy that there's any reason that they would need to do that - that's the argument I'm used to hearing from crazy Nintendo fanboys with massive persecution complexes.

Now, keeping third-party support is another matter entirely.
Right, I meant for my comment to apply to the entire generation, so if they need to moneyhat to get ports from the PS4 and Xbox 3, they should do it.

you guys are raising another question:

now that they are coming into the HD generation

Can Nintendo create a real CORE Game?

Can we see a Metal Gear, Call of Duty, Halo type game from Nintendo? (don't say Prime)

Is that Nintendo?

Smiles and Cries said:

Can we see a Metal Gear, Call of Duty, Halo type game from Nintendo? (don't say Prime)

Is that Nintendo?

Of course they can.
They have Monolith and Retro studios that could make those kinds of games, and already have.
disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080118040034094.jpg
mp2.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Smiles and Cries said:

Is that Nintendo?
Well, Iwata specifically used the phrase "reinforce Western development", which implies to me that this Western core game isn't coming from their normal staff.

AceBandage said:
Of course they can.
They have Monolith and Retro studios that could make those kinds of games, and already have.
http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080118040034094.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mp2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I think he specifically meant core games that can sell well.

FoneBone

Nirolak said:
Right, I meant for my comment to apply to the entire generation, so if they need to moneyhat to get ports from the PS4 and Xbox 3, they should do it.
Oh, yeah. That makes more sense. But if it comes to that, I think it's a lost cause for them.

Smiles and Cries said:

Can Nintendo create a real DUDEBRO Game?

Is that Nintendo?
Fix't

P90

Amir0x said:
Please. MGS3 eviscerates MGS1. Nostalgia ftl.

But, there is a reason we leave behind certain archaic principles. Also it was cheaper to produce CDs than multiple-GCN discs, certainly.

Ah, Amir0x. We totally disagree again. Not surprising.

Yes, GCN disc cost more than CDs though. Not like it was a huge loss, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FoneBone said:
Oh, yeah. That makes more sense. But if it comes to that, I think it's a lost cause for them.
I think at that point it's more of an investment in trying to get a core audience for the generation after the Cafe, like Microsoft's Xbox efforts mainly served the Xbox 360.

Nirolak said:

Oh well...
That might be a bit more difficult, since Nintendo's western like games aren't as simplified and basic as a Call of Duty is.

Azure J

Smiles and Cries said:

Is that Nintendo?

Thing is, if you are using those as a benchmark, then nope they can't and probably won't. Nintendo will opt to make a new series playing to their own strengths before they look at what has been and take a cue from there. How much of a showcase of what they're after and what they can do with Cafe depends entirely on how unhinged they can be both from their own stable of IPs and from other examples of core* games while delivering an experience that plays up their strengths and makes folks stand up and take notice.

Can the buzzwords please die already? :lol

Krowley

Smiles and Cries said:

Is that Nintendo?

This is what I'm dying to find out.

IMO mario, zelda and metroid are all core games as well... about as core as you can get, but they're specifically nintendo-style core games, which obviously have their own particular flavor.

I'm very curious to see if nintendo can find the right people to make an awesome game or games that will poach a significant people from the ps360 crowds.

artwalknoon said:
Thank you, I was about to do that myself. To argue that Nintendo doesn't make "core" games is ridiculous.
While I was taking a shit, I did think of a potential (timed) exclusive dudebro game that they could run with.

Sequel to Borderlands. If they had a 3 month lead over the other platforms......well, let's just say that I know more than a couple of people who would take the plunge just for it.

yes I should have said Dudebro maybe

Nirolak said:
Well, Iwata specifically used the phrase "reinforce Western development", which implies to me that this Western core game isn't coming from their normal staff.

Yeah I can see them getting behind a western dev. I think they would need to buy one out if they really wanted an exclusive that will stand next to the other two platforms

by the time the Next Xbox and Playstation joins Cafe on the store shelves they will need this kind of game much more. IF the trend of copying Nintendo's 'surprise tech' continues they will not have much to fight with but Software.

I think supporting 3rd parties is one thing but buying a few good teams that can created for western tastes is crucial.

I for one think they already have JRPGS covered. Xenoblade - The Last Story - Pandora's Tower shows that they can support devs and get some good exclusives all they need is to duplicate that with some western devs even if they have to buy or fund a few exclusives

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BMF said:
While I was taking a shit, I did think of a potential (timed) exclusive dudebro game that they could run with.

Sequel to Borderlands. If they had a 3 month lead over the other platforms......well, let's just say that I know more than a couple of people who would take the plunge just for it.
I think Borderlands would be an especially hard game to get though.

2dj1gg6.png

The game pretty much lived and died by word of mouth over Xbox Live.

Nintendo would need an extremely robust online service to even get them to think about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Smiles and Cries said:
yes I should have said Dudebro maybe

Yeah I can see them getting behind a western dev. I think they would need to buy one out if they really wanted an exclusive that will stand next to the other two platforms

by the time the Next Xbox and Playstation joins Cafe on the store shelves they will need this kind of game much more. IF the trend of copying Nintendo's 'surprise tech' continues they will not have much to fight with but Software.

I think supporting 3rd parties is one thing but buying a few good teams that can created for western tastes is crucial.

I for one think they already have JRPGS covered. Xenoblade - The Last Story - Pandora's Tower shows that they can support devs and get some good exclusives all they need is to duplicate that with some western devs even if they have to buy or fund a few exclusives
I totally agree with you here.

I would say the five major dudebro approved genres are:

-First Person Shooter
-Third Person Shooter
-Open World Game (Either GTA or Assassin's Creed-Esque)
-God of War-like Action Game
-WRPGs

For every genre they can get a 2+ million selling exclusive title in that they develop, the harder it becomes for third parties to ignore the audience for that genre on the Cafe.

If they get two or three of those genres, I think they have a solid shot at maintaining third party ports throughout the generation even if we end up with a less favorable hardware divide.

It really wouldn't take a lot of exclusive titles to keep this kind of third party support as Microsoft has shown, the games just need to be well made, well marketed, and well aimed.

Outside of this, Nintendo could still easily dedicate the vast majority of their resources to Nintendo like games and casual titles.

AceBandage said:
Of course they can.

I am afraid Retro Studios may be stuck making Donkey Kong games after the financial success of DKCR.

I hope not, but I fear so.

Sadist

Pandora's Tower is more akin to God of War actually.

Still, I don't know if I want a third/first person shooter from Nintendo.

TekkenMaster said:
I am afraid Retro Studios may be stuck making Donkey Kong games after the financial success of DKCR.

I hope not, but I fear so.

Eh, DKCR was a pretty quick title they did.
They've been reving up production, so even if they do make another one, that won't be the only thing we'll see from them.

JohnTinker said:
So which dev's title will be the first one to leak? I'm betting Ubisoft first with Sega being second

Ubisoft has done all the leaks for the Cafe so far, so yeah, probably some crap game from them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sadist said:
Pandora's Tower is more akin to God of War actually.

Still, I don't know if I want a third/first person shooter from Nintendo.
Did you like Metroid Prime or Perfect Dark?

The game doesn't have to come from the teams that make the archetypal Nintendo series.

Nirolak said:

-First Person Shooter
-Third Person Shooter
-WRPGs

For every genre they can get a 2+ million selling exclusive title in that they develop, the harder it becomes for third parties to ignore the audience for that genre on the Cafe.

If they get two or three of those genres, I think they have a solid shot at maintaining third party ports throughout the generation even if we end up with a less favorable hardware divide.

It really wouldn't take a lot of exclusive titles to keep this kind of third party support as Microsoft has shown, the games just need to be well made, well marketed, and well aimed.

Outside of this, Nintendo could still easily dedicate the vast majority of their resources to Nintendo like games and casual titles.

Doing this to prove to other 3rd parties that there is a market for it on Cafe is a great point this is something they really need to do

and they also need to address Xbox Live

If they had a partner like say Google's new Social Network that Facebook has been worried about recently as something that could have exclusive features on Cafe

since dudebro games have a huge online component that makes them a win or lose it will be the make or break for any exclusive they fund that they also address this online issue

so a good online partner that can provide a secure network

Smiles and Cries said:

Is that Nintendo?

If they ever release a first-person shooter, I would imagine it would be a lot closer to Team Fortress than Call of Duty. I could see them reviving Wild Gunman and having an over-the-top FPS with comedic elements, but I can't see them ever making a game for the dudebros. This is not to say that they don't care about the so-called "hardcore" audience, however. Fire Emblem wasn't exactly made for soccer moms, and Nintendo doesn't greenlight projects like Xenoblade or Sin and Punishment for teh kiddies.

On a related note, I don't understand why games like Metal Gear and Call of Duty are considered "real CORE" games while Mario and Zelda aren't. Mario and Zelda helped defined the entire industry as we know it when they were first released, and their 3D iterations were also revolutionary. Why are these games not considered core games? Is it because of their accessibility? Is it because they don't feature guns? Is it because they are colorful?

Sadist

Nirolak said:
Did you like Metroid Prime or Perfect Dark?

The game doesn't have to come from the teams that make the archetypal Nintendo series.
The Prime series is fantastic, but I never thought it was a traditional FPS.

And the games could be made by partner second party studios in the same vein like the Nintendo/Team Ninja collaboration.

It'd help greatly if Nintendo could actually buy a western studio to make such games.

And in my opinion, I don't think there are much more fitting than Eurocom.

They did make Goldeneye Wii after all, and one of the rare studios to make good licensed games (other than 007) such as Ice Age 2. They're also not tied to any publisher.

Shin'en could be a good one as well, but they're more than happy staying as their tiny selves and they're Nintendo-exclusive by choice anyway. A buyout could possibly do more wrong than good.

Back to Eurocom, they also have a few ex-Free Radical folks (whom did work on GE Wii, and most of them also on Extraction), they could do an original shooter, and an original platformer. It's about time Nintendo had a western platformer IP like Sony's, I don't know, just for a different taste for a AAA Nintendo platformer. (Eurocom also made Spyro: A Hero's Tail)

Nirolak said:
I think Borderlands would be an especially hard game to get though.
The popularity will make it hard to get, but at the same time the newness of the franchise should work to their advantage. I don't think that they could do it with a more established franchise, and a new franchise (even from a known developer) is a crapshoot if you're looking for something to be console defining. It's like getting David Lynch to make you a movie after he did Eraserhead and Elephant Man. You may end up with Dune, but it will at least be very memorable.

Nirolak said:
The game pretty much lived and died by word of mouth over Xbox Live.

Nintendo would need an extremely robust online service to even get them to think about it.
Absolutely agreed. It would be difficult. It would take a major moneyhat, and they would have to have a hell of an online service already lined up before hand, but if they're as serious as they appear to be, then it just then becomes some sort of possibility.

Indyana

Nirolak said:
I think at that point it's more of an investment in trying to get a core audience for the generation after the Cafe, like Microsoft's Xbox efforts mainly served the Xbox 360.
I am not sure that's a good idea. It might work to avoid losing an avid gamer. But Cafe games are going to look worse than PS4 and Xbox Next. Both Microsoft and Sony have bigger franchises to the mature western audience and many players have invested a lot in their online platforms.

So Nintendo is going to pay, a third party willing to ignores its userbase, for a game, that will look worse (maybe much worse), to attract a gamer that has waited for the launch of Microsoft and Sony consoles... And if a third party gets this kind of deal, the others will want something too.

I think it would be wiser to pay before and get much better looking games to make people jump from PS360.

On the other hand...
Nirolak said:

-First Person Shooter
-Third Person Shooter
-WRPGs

I agree with you here. Paying for a pair of exclusives is going to be more expensive upfront, but it could be cheaper in the long run.

Amir0x

Banned
P90 said:
Ah, Amir0x. We totally disagree again. Not surprising.

Yes, GCN disc cost more than CDs though. Not like it was a huge loss, though.

MGS3 has better gameplay, better level design, better bosses, more variety, better graphics, better music... and the only memorable plot strand (Big Boss and Naked Snake's relationship) in the whole series of bizarre, unbelievable stories involved in the series. Frankly, I'm not sure what about MGS1 is supposed to better.

It was better at, um, being more pixelated and shit. And also better at having more blocky, low-res characters

Boney said:
it's better than 4...

and portable ops... if that counts

2 is da best though

Certainly true. What a disaster 4 was... MGS2 I always go back and forth on. It had an amazing first act...

Hero of Legend said:
It'd help greatly if Nintendo could actually buy a western studio to make such games.

And in my opinion, I don't think there are much more fitting than Eurocom.

They did make Goldeneye Wii after all, and one of the rare studios to make good licensed games (other than 007) such as Ice Age 2. They're also not tied to any publisher.

Shin'en could be a good one as well, but they're more than happy staying as their tiny selves and they're Nintendo-exclusive by choice anyway. A buyout could possibly do more wrong than good.

Back to Eurocom, they also have a few ex-Free Radical folks (whom did work on GE Wii, and most of them also on Extraction), they could do an original shooter, and an original platformer. It's about time Nintendo had a western platformer IP like Sony's, I don't know, just for a different taste for a AAA Nintendo platformer. (Eurocom also made Spyro: A Hero's Tail)

I still think Nirolak's idea that TimeSplitters 4 is a semi Cafe exclusive is Nintendo's best bet.

Krowley

Coolio McAwesome said:
If they ever release a first-person shooter, I would imagine it would be a lot closer to Team Fortress than Call of Duty. I could see them reviving Wild Gunman and having an over-the-top FPS with comedic elements, but I can't see them ever making a game for the dudebros. This is not to say that they don't care about the so-called "hardcore" audience, however. Fire Emblem wasn't exactly made for soccer moms, and Nintendo doesn't greenlight projects like Xenoblade or Sin and Punishment for teh kiddies.

On a related note, I don't understand why games like Metal Gear and Call of Duty are considered "real CORE" games while Mario and Zelda aren't. Mario and Zelda helped defined the entire industry as we know it when they were first released, and their 3D iterations were also revolutionary. Why are these games not considered core games? Is it because of their accessibility? Is it because they don't feature guns? Is it because they are colorful?

I've heard many people describe them as core games,and they certainly appeal to plenty of hardcore gamers. So yeah, they are definitely hardcore games.

They don't appeal to the FPS/Shooter crowd though, and that crowd can move a lot of consoles. They appeal to nintendo's own hardcore gamers, and those people are going to buy the system regardless. What they need are exclusives in other genres that do appeal to the same audience that spends the most money on ps360 games. A large portion of those people could care less about zelda/mario, but they might come over for a game with the same level of quality that was made according to their own tastes.

Coolio McAwesome said:

I really did mean Dudebro its not like I don't consider Mario and Zelda core but being realistic here

You have Anime as a whole, then you have a Hayao Miyazaki film

For fans of gaming it would be unfair to place Mario and Zelda and lump them up as core games in general they have a different flavor

Not every fan of One Piece or Naruto are going to find Spirited Away to their liking.

So for me Mario and Zelda are just Nintendo exclusive and things you expect from Nintendo calling them core is really strange I see them more as a brand that will never really go away.

I ment Dudebro the kind of games that drive PS360 sales in the west

swerve

Most developers I know who love Nintendo also cry when they are asked to make games on Nintendo systems. The tools - historically - have been horrible. They need to fix their preferred tools providers (3DS is a bit better in this regard) and they need to run technical seminars and the like, just as SCE and MS do.

Impress the developers with your tools, and the developer good will will be significantly boosted. I think NGP is going to be a prime example of this.

Also:

OMG F-ZERO CAFE NOW PLEASE

That's core, right?

[Edit] Whoops. Didn't mean to ctrl-a first.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
I still think Nirolak's idea that TimeSplitters 4 is a semi Cafe exclusive is Nintendo's best bet.
Well, specifically that it's one of the biggest possibilities of a larger Western title they could get exclusively that would also fit with their general persona.

I think though it's quite possible that it isn't either, but if I had to guess a title, that would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom