• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DragonKnight said:
not that RAM you don't. 1.5-2GB or bust

Considering IGN claimed that the total amount of RAM would = 1GB, I'd rather believe this. 512 XDR2 system RAM and 1024 GDDR5 doesn't excite you? Are you joking? That would blow the current consoles out of the water!

Thraktor

One of the main problems spec-wise with the "leak" is the Power6-based processor. The Wii and Gamecube CPUs were both capable of out-of-order execution, meaning that, if Nintendo wants to ensure backwards compatiblity, the Cafe's CPU will almost certainly support out-of-order execution too. The Power6, however, is a purely in-order processor, which pretty much puts it out of the running. Sufficiently fast in-order CPUs can emulate slower CPUs with out-of-order execution in many circumstances, so it's not impossible, but it would break with Nintendo's tradition of providing perfect backwards-compatibility, which they've done on the GBC, GBA, DS, Wii and 3DS. Much more likely is a CPU based on Power7 (significantly stripped down to fit within power, heat and cost restrictions), or an almost entirely custom-designed IBM chip.

I wouldn't rule out 4 cores though. The rumour which everyone's relying on only said that the CPU was similar to the XBox 360's CPU, which isn't necessarily a cast-iron guarantee that it'll be 3 cores. The 360's CPU is also, as far as I know, the only 3-core CPU that IBM's ever made, so it may even be the case that a 4-core chip is actually more cost-effective.

Instro

Fourth Storm said:
Considering IGN claimed that the total amount of RAM would = 1GB, I'd rather believe this. 512 XDR2 system RAM and 1024 GDDR5 doesn't excite you? Are you joking? That would blow the current consoles out of the water!

They were talking about system RAM.

bgassassin said:
Well you are only looking at a small part of the post and expanding it to cover a lot. Please do not take offense to this, but I would suggest reading my post again.

I read the whole thing, including the edit. The part after that small part was more unrealistic. 128mb of sram and 1.4gb of vram ? And you said you think your original prediction, 128mb sram and 898mb gddr-5 was second most likely. Your original prediction is unlikely, of 128mb of system ram in Nintendo's next gen system won't cut it for receiving ports of next gen 3rd party games. It's half as much as they've got now. And 1.4gb of gddr-5 sounds like total overkill for a console powered by an R700 powered GPU. The spec sheet rumor is more realistic than your prediction.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Some people here seems to think consoles works like computers with their RAM comments.

WHY NOT 4GB OF RAM WHILE WERE AT IT.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fourth Storm said:
I had no idea that the predictions claimed 1 GB total. The fake looks more like a fantasy of a dedicated fan now.

Exuro said:
So are we looking at a reveal(like the 3DS) slightly before E3 or during their conference?

The 3DS reveal was at the press conference. They mentioned two key features in a minor press release on the website a few months in advance (DS/DSi backward-compat and 3D visuals without glasses), but that's all.

[Nintex]

Smiles and Cries said:
more sources should release specs list
its fun to look at them and cry later
The crazy thing about this list is that the math and numbers work out. Unlike many other fakes this list is actually 'possible' in theory. This seems to be a design that only someone who knows something about putting systems together would come up with. It's actually not some crazy fanboy dream.

Instro said:
They were talking about system RAM.

The whole article was somewhat confounding, so you might be right. That's not the way I read it, though, despite them including a video card with 1 GB VRAM. I took that more as them not really having a firm grasp on what they were talking about.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Instro said:
4 IS NOT ENOUGH, NEED 16 FOR FUTURE PROOF!!

16!? My uncle works at intel and he says AMD ram will make Wii 2 have much much better gfx than the ps4lol.

Thraktor said:
One of the main problems spec-wise with the "leak" is the Power6-based processor. The Wii and Gamecube CPUs were both capable of out-of-order execution, meaning that, if Nintendo wants to ensure backwards compatiblity, the Cafe's CPU will almost certainly support out-of-order execution too. The Power6, however, is a purely in-order processor, which pretty much puts it out of the running. Sufficiently fast in-order CPUs can emulate slower CPUs with out-of-order execution in many circumstances, so it's not impossible, but it would break with Nintendo's tradition of providing perfect backwards-compatibility, which they've done on the GBC, GBA, DS, Wii and 3DS. Much more likely is a CPU based on Power7 (significantly stripped down to fit within power, heat and cost restrictions), or an almost entirely custom-designed IBM chip.

I wouldn't rule out 4 cores though. The rumour which everyone's relying on only said that the CPU was similar to the XBox 360's CPU, which isn't necessarily a cast-iron guarantee that it'll be 3 cores. The 360's CPU is also, as far as I know, the only 3-core CPU that IBM's ever made, so it may even be the case that a 4-core chip is actually more cost-effective.

One of the more knowledgeable posters regarding these matters (I think it was Brain Stew) stated recently in one of these threads that the Gamecube CPU's OoOE was quite meager and that, given sufficient customization, an in-order chip could quite possibly provide sufficient emulation.

[Nintex]

Also at first glance this is how an average game journalist would see these specs: "RV770, PowerPC6 4 cores 3.5ghz, 512MB XDR2 DRAM.... yeah roughly on par with Xbox 360, only 1 core more, 300mhz more and a bit better GPU than the Xbox 360"

So that may explain the difference in reporting: "this is just an Xbox 360+/this is a beast"

Instro

Fourth Storm said:
The whole article was somewhat confounding, so you might be right. That's not the way I read it, though, despite them including a video card with 1 GB VRAM. I took that more as them not really having a firm grasp on what they were talking about.

Its a weird article, IGN is pretty stupid. Their build had 2GB system RAM +1GB VRAM, 3GB total, but then they go on to say:

Most importantly, the Wii 2/Project Café's total RAM is likely to be 1GB, but we added an extra GB to offset the Windows 7 OS, which is pretty taxing otherwise.

If they were talking about total RAM, and the total RAM of the Cafe was only 1GB, then that would mean their extra 1GB would only add up to 2GB rather than the 3GB they actually had. Which means in reality they were talking about system RAM.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Experiment said:
E3 is a week away, so I really don't care about if this leak or fake or not. You guys should just wait a bit and you'll get everything you want.

BUT WHAT DO WE DO UNTIL THEN??? *Faints*

Death Dealer said:
I read the whole thing, including the edit. The part after that small part was more unrealistic. 128mb of sram and 1.4gb of vram ? And you said you think your original prediction, 128mb sram and 898mb gddr-5 was second most likely. Your original prediction is unlikely, of 128mb of system ram in Nintendo's next gen system won't cut it for receiving ports of next gen 3rd party games. It's half as much as they've got now. And 1.4gb of gddr-5 sounds like total overkill for a console powered by an R700 powered GPU. The spec sheet rumor is more realistic than your prediction.

LOL. Yeah I figured you were missing the point. I think you are thinking more PC, less console, and even more less Nintendo. And the edits were to correct spelling problems (bad spelling problems) and one adding problem. First you're not understanding what 1T-SRAM does. It's embedded and is used normally to replace eDRAM. To put that in perspective, I acknowledge that the 360 had more total memory. It used 10MB of eDRAM. The fake specs suggested Cafe would use 16MB of eDRAM. The Wii used 3MB of embedded 1T-SRAM. I went with 128MB of that memory as a progression from that (GC/Wii used 3MB). The supposed benefits of 1T vs eDRAM keep me believing that Nintendo will go that route. If I understand correctly you are interpreting that 128MB to be main memory. That's not what I said.

I also didn't say the GDDR5 would be used as VRAM. It's the main memory to be used however the devs want to use it. For comparison purposes, the 360's main memory was 512MB of unified GDDR3 memory. In my proposed scenario Nintendo would use 896MB-1.4GB of unified GDDR5 memory. The combination of GDDR5 and 1T-SRAM sounds more like something Nintendo would do to keep efficiency a priority.

EDIT: And keep costs down. That wouldn't happen with XDR2 memory.

Thraktor

Fourth Storm said:
One of the more knowledgeable posters regarding these matters (I think it was Brain Stew) stated recently in one of these threads that the Gamecube CPU's OoOE was quite meager and that, given sufficient customization, an in-order chip could quite possibly provide sufficient emulation.

I'm sure it could provide emulation sufficient for most Wii/GC games most of the time, but Nintendo has been ultra-conservative about backwards-compatibility in the past, with all their handhelds and the Wii providing perfect hardware-level compatibility with the previous gen. Hence, I'd bet on an out-of-order CPU (and some 1T-SRAM, for that matter). It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but it'd be a break from Nintendo's old BC philosophy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
bgassassin said:
I went with 128MB of that memory as a progression from that (GC used 3MB, Wii used 24MB). The supposed benefits of 1T vs eDRAM keep me believing that Nintendo will go that route. If I understand correctly you are interpreting that 128MB to be main memory. That's not what I said.
Wii has exactly as much 1t-sram as cube has.

[Nintex] said:
Also at first glance this is how an average game journalist would see these specs: "RV770, PowerPC6 4 cores 3.5ghz, 512MB XDR2 DRAM.... yeah roughly on par with Xbox 360, only 1 core more, 300mhz more and a bit better GPU than the Xbox 360"

So that may explain the difference in reporting: "this is just an Xbox 360+/this is a beast"

Yeah, I can see this too.

StevieP

Banned
The GC's 3mb framebuffer is the same as the Wii's 3mb framebuffer. Both consoles also had "24mb" of the same memory, in the name of BC. The Wii just added 64mb of other memory to help out. I think you're thinking about different memory pools.

Wasn't the GC/Wii just a Power3 chip? (and didn't Power3 have standard OoOE?)

bgassassin said:
Yeah I think that gets forgotten. I always felt they didn't want to release them for the Wii because they knew they would get ridiculed for the decision and it would take away from what they were trying to establish.

Yeah they didn't release them because they knew the 'conversation' would become about specs instead of what they were offering: something different. The moment people can quantify performance in real numbers, it becomes a dick swinging contest, and Wii couldn't win in that regard, it wasn't even designed to - so why publish?

In this instance, it wouldn't surprise me if we do get numbers, because they know they've got a year or more on the competition.

Instro said:
Its a weird article, IGN is pretty stupid. Their build had 2GB system RAM +1GB VRAM, 3GB total, but then they go on to say:

If they were talking about total RAM, and the total RAM of the Cafe was only 1GB, then that would mean their extra 1GB would only add up to 2GB rather than the 3GB they actually had. Which means in reality they were talking about system RAM.

Yeah, you definitely make more sense than the IGN article.

[Nintex] said:

It's also possible 1 of the 4 cores is reserved for the OS, thus leading to the 3 vs 4 core confusion. Then again, I may be trying too much to shoehorn previous reports into the "leaked" spec sheet, which I desperately want to be legit.

wsippel said:
Except for the GPU performance. At that clock speed, it'd need 912 shader units to achieve the performance claimed. Problem is that with R700, the number of shader units need to multiples of five. Northern Islands on the other hand uses multiples of four. If true, the GPU would be so heavily modified that it wouldn't really be an HD4xxx anymore, it'd basically be a R700/ Northern Islands hybrid. While the numbers are odd, the math is sound - 912 is indeed also a multiple of 16, so that would lead to the unusual, but possible number of 57 TMUs. It's also kinda odd that both chips are supposedly 32nm parts. The AMD roadmap posted all over the internet only mentions 40nm and 28nm if I remember correctly, but IBM actually does manufacture 32nm chips in their East Fishkill plant. Don't know, maybe all that actually makes the rumor more believable - or the faker did his homework. I don't think the guy who posted the image would be knowledgeable enough to come up with that...

Interesting, to say the least.

Hylian

chaosblade said:
There are so many things wrong with this picture I don't even know where to start with it. I guess a good place would be the compression and overlay text mentioned above.

Shorty said:
prcspec13iu.jpg

Wow , Where did this come from ?. I want this to be true. But.

Cpu - > Pretty high clocks, what might be the power consumption a chip like this?
Gpu - > Is it possible to get that high flops from r770 withou making it a power hog/heater?.
RAM - > Is 512MB XDR2 Really financially feasible, how much benefit would there be to DDR3?
HDD - > 250/320GB Hard drive from Nintendo ? -> where is my 8gb flash?.
32nm -> Will this be ready for cafe lauch with high enough yields and low enough premiums?.
Rom -> Custom Blue Ray?, is this for copy protection/ DRM and what would be the costs?.

radioheadrule83 said:
Yeah they didn't release them because they knew the 'conversation' would become about specs instead of what they were offering: something different. The moment people can quantify performance in real numbers, it becomes a dick swinging contest, and Wii couldn't win in that regard, it wasn't even designed to - so why publish?

In this instance, it wouldn't surprise me if we do get numbers, because they know they've got a year or more on the competition.

LOL. I can see the "swinging" coming back again.

StevieP

Banned
Hylian said:
Rom -> Custom Blue Ray?, is this for copy protection/ DRM and what would be the costs?.

At the very least, I can answer this one for you (because the other questions are quite valid).

Nintendo, since the GC, has been using DVD tech. Standard, decades old DVD tech. Mini DVD in the GC, Dual Layer DVD on the Wii. However, with a caveat. 1) No DVD license, so no DVD playback. 2) They're printed differently than standard DVDs (i.e. won't read in most DVD drives).

It is speculated (by IGN, Kotaku I think) that the Wii2 will use similar blue-laser tech but without the BluRay license, so no movie playback but same capactiy and (now) low-cost laser. And likely, the same printing method as the Wii/GC's optical discs (so that you can't rip the games in a standard BD-ROM).

Thraktor said:
I'm sure it could provide emulation sufficient for most Wii/GC games most of the time, but Nintendo has been ultra-conservative about backwards-compatibility in the past, with all their handhelds and the Wii providing perfect hardware-level compatibility with the previous gen. Hence, I'd bet on an out-of-order CPU (and some 1T-SRAM, for that matter). It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but it'd be a break from Nintendo's old BC philosophy.

I don't know about that. How are they emulating the DS on the 3DS? I think the ARM11 can run the ARM 9 code natively, but the 3DS GPU is a whole different beast from the DS's oddball unit. The ONLY home console that Nintendo has implemented BC in is the Wii, which is much more a byproduct of their decision to cut costs by using a slightly modified GCN chip set.

blu said:
I'm not sure what you believe the above signifies, so I'll say it again:

Wii has exactly as much 1t-sram as the cube. And that memory is interfaced in exactly the same way as it was on the cube. The new mem pool on the wii is the gddr one.

OK? What are you basing that on?

EDIT: Nevermind I see that now. Just misread the GC specs.

EDIT2: Worse yet I misread both of the badly. I've seen those lists who knows how many times and can't believe I did that.

*thinks about what I did early*

Actually I can.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You people are either crazy or don't know what you're talking about. Fake or otherwise, 512MB system RAM would be great. This is not a PC. It's not going to be doing much multitasking, it's not going to be running a massive Windows OS. It's going to run a small OS that will probably have 32-64MB reserved, and the rest is for nothing but games. Combined with 1GB GDDR5, that's perfect for a next-gen console, and honestly, it's about what I would expect the PS4/360 to have a year later.

If Nintendo doesn't go with unified RAM, it's more likely they would have like 256MB system RAM and 768MB video RAM. 512MB/1GB would really surprise me.

antonz

As has been mentioned the thing about the sheet is really the fact none of it is really outlandish to the point of being able to outright say thats bullshit.

XDR2 is the odd part out mostly because it would be pretty expensive though Nintendo does like its exotic ram. XDR2 basically offers double the bandwidth of DDR5 so even 512MB of it would be pretty sufficient.

wsippel

Banned
[Nintex] said:
The crazy thing about this list is that the math and numbers work out. Unlike many other fakes this list is actually 'possible' in theory. This seems to be a design that only someone who knows something about putting systems together would come up with. It's actually not some crazy fanboy dream.
Yeah, that's probably the oddest thing about this fake: 1398GFLOPS / 2 / 0,7666GHz = 912 shader units; 912 is a multiple of 4 (VLIW4). That should mean either 16 or 24 shader units per TMU, 912 is a multiple of both. 57 TMUs seems weird, 38 doesn't. While there is no AMD GPU with 38 TMUs, there are off-the-shelf GPUs with 36 or 40 TMUs after all. The problem is that all R700 GPUs are VLIW5, but maybe that's where the "custom"-part comes into play...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom