• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

Few questions:

On my setup, Can I achieve 60fps/1080p on 3770k, 980ti, 16GB ram?
Is this game optimised well?
Controls better than the first on gamepad?
Size of game on PC. ( steam says 50GB, but not sure if correct)

Thanks for any help.

This looks amazing:
https://youtu.be/esBOwD6-LpI

Klocker

Regarding the crashing issue...

Is there any way on PS4 to reset the entire system without having to download all of the games again?

Regarding time trial I think that's where I am right now. FM7 for racing and PC2 for hotlapping.

There is a known issue on Xbox where any races with more than 16 total cars causes your car to Veer left and right on its own.

until that's fixed I think time trials is where I will enjoy this game.

fresquito

That's tough. I thought the problems you were having were common to all users, so I was confident they would fix them in the next patch, but going by the thread you linked to, sounds like some problem with some PS4 Pros. I honestly don't know whether this problem can be fixed by SMS alone. Maybe a firmware update or Sony working with SMS can do the trick.

Doesn't sound encouraging, in any case. Good luck, Dan.

SliChillax

Played this on PC with an Xbox One controller, absolutely horrible. The Mclaren 720s refused to brake, even with all assists on, correcting an oversteer is hopeless cause the steering wheel reaction is so slow. Maybe I'm encountering a bug? I refuse to believe people are enjoying this game like this, it's probably just my game. I tried controller settings suggested in this forum and on PC2 forums, still nothing. Cars behave like boats and I find nothing about the way cars handle enjoyable. I was also underwhelmed by the graphics.

danowat

Banned
Regarding the crashing issue...

Is there any way on PS4 to reset the entire system without having to download all of the games again?

Regarding time trial I think that's where I am right now. FM7 for racing and PC2 for hotlapping.

There is a known issue on Xbox where any races with more than 16 total cars causes your car to Veer left and right on its own.

until that's fixed I think time trials is where I will enjoy this game.

There isn't, and I've already restored the entire system once, I'm not doing it again!!!

That's tough. I thought the problems you were having were common to all users, so I was confident they would fix them in the next patch, but going by the thread you linked to, sounds like some problem with some PS4 Pros. I honestly don't know whether this problem can be fixed by SMS alone. Maybe a firmware update or Sony working with SMS can do the trick.

Doesn't sound encouraging, in any case. Good luck, Dan.

Yeah, it's an odd one, doesn't affect all PS4 Pros, but the only system it does affect is a PS4 Pro, there is no pattern to which machines it affects, like I said, I would be happy to take my system to SMS if it would help them identify the issue.

yume_2501

I want to play career mode but it s a bug fest atm on PS4. If the first patch doesn't fix at least the major bugs i m going to get a refund. i like the game a lot when it works, but at this moment it'isn t the case, on PS4(pro) at least.

cooldawn

Yay... obtained 'B' status on my licence yesterday.

Also, I'm starting to win races in a Bentley. I love that thing. I swear, with the right players, racing can be tremendously rewarding.

Klocker

There isn't, and I've already restored the entire system once, I'm not doing it again!!!

Yeah, it's an odd one, doesn't affect all PS4 Pros, but the only system it does affect is a PS4 Pro, there is no pattern to which machines it affects, like I said, I would be happy to take my system to SMS if it would help them identify the issue.

That sucks. Good luck sorting it out.

I'm curious: when you say this is it because you know or because you are guessing?
The ARB doesn't have these clips or more holes to change the length of the side-levers quickly, but I'm pretty sure there are lors of cars in pCARS2 that allow you to change the anti-rollbar stiffness, where this is not the case either.
There is basically no sports car in the world for that you can't buy a different anti-roll bar for. But lets say the shape is really that special and no after market supplier makes one for this car, the you could still at least install harder front springs.

It might be that the usual cup leagues don't allow this to be changed...
I would still think that nobody would be happy with this behavior if the one rear wheel left would constantly loose grip and slide. If one wheel can take it, this might make the car very agile, but as it is in the game, you slide too much and would be faster if you traded the agility against some more understeer but also more grip. If higher rear camber angles were allowed, that one wheel might be enough, but 2.5 degrees is the max.

Few questions:

Yes, with the right detail settings. I guess a mixture of medium and high with not too much AA.

Is this game optimised well?
Much better than the first. It doesn't tank its framerate too badly in the wet or when there are many cars on screen. It also scales down better, so low settings still look reasonable.

Controls better than the first on gamepad?
Yes, but some are still not comfortable with it.

Size of game on PC. ( steam says 50GB, but not sure if correct)
Disk usage: 47382 MB

fresquito

Yes, with the right detail settings. I guess a mixture of medium and high with not too much AA.
As far as I know, the 980ti is better than the 1060 6GB, so he will be able to max most everything. I, with a 1060, have all maxed, except AA (medium MSAA), EnvMap (High) and Shadows (High). And this only because I want to keep 60fps in all circumstances (Storm included).

The ARB doesn't have these clips or more holes to change the length of the side-levers quickly, but I'm pretty sure there are lors of cars in pCARS2 that allow you to change the anti-rollbar stiffness, where this is not the case either.
There is basically no sports car in the world for that you can't buy a different anti-roll bar for. But lets say the shape is really that special and no after market supplier makes one for this car, the you could still at least install harder front springs.

It might be that the usual cup leagues don't allow this to be changed...
I would still think that nobody would be happy with this behavior if the one rear wheel left would constantly loose grip and slide. If one wheel can take it, this might make the car very agile, but as it is in the game, you slide too much and would be faster if you traded the agility against some more understeer but also more grip. If higher rear camber angles were allowed, that one wheel might be enough, but 2.5 degrees is the max.
I see. I guess they wanted competition cars to be faithful, while keeping a bit of an open approach to street cars? After all, Nic Hamilton races (raced?) on the UK Clio Cup, so they no doubt have great knowledge of how the real thing is.

Mascot

As far as I know, the 980ti is better than the 1060 6GB, so he will be able to max most everything. I, with a 1060, have all maxed, except AA (medium MSAA), EnvMap (High) and Shadows (High). And this only because I want to keep 60fps in all circumstances (Storm included).

Yeah, I'm on a 6600k/980Ti combo and (during my brief time with this beta) was running higher than 1080p in 2D with max settings, minimum 60fps.

Gestault

Yeah, I'm on a 6600k/980Ti combo and (during my brief time with this beta) was running higher than 1080p in 2D with max settings, minimum 60fps.

I've seen the upper framerates for people running variable comfortably 80+ on similar builds, if not 100+ in clear conditions. There's still stutter, but it's the consensus is looking like this runs better than the first game on similar hardware. I know from personal experience that PC1 had some odd limits/hitches even on a 1070 w/ an 6700 and 16 gb of DDR4, so it's great news on my end.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I'm running a GTX 960 with an AMD Phenom ii x4. Even with an ancient CPU I can run 60fps on 1080p with medium settings. I'm actually amazed at the optimization. With PCARS 1 on the same system, the game slows down with more than 24 cars. I haven't experienced that yet in PCARS 2.

Grassy

Played this on PC with an Xbox One controller, absolutely horrible. The Mclaren 720s refused to brake, even with all assists on, correcting an oversteer is hopeless cause the steering wheel reaction is so slow. Maybe I'm encountering a bug? I refuse to believe people are enjoying this game like this, it's probably just my game. I tried controller settings suggested in this forum and on PC2 forums, still nothing. Cars behave like boats and I find nothing about the way cars handle enjoyable. I was also underwhelmed by the graphics.

I posted earlier about how badly the 720S handles with a controller and there's a thread on the official forum discussing which cars feel like shite with a controller - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51707-Can-t-get-the-car-to-stay-straight-(controller)

On the plus side some cars do feel great to drive with a controller, so I hold out hope it's 'just' another bug and will eventually be fixed...

TJP

To follow on from other posts, my system has an overclocked i5 4690K and single Asus ROG GTX 1070 (slightly better than a 980ti) and pCARS 2 with max grid size at Imola which is 31 AI and max graphics settings and medium MSAA at an average of 118fps with small dips here and there. I started at the back of the grids to stress the CPU & GPU.

Same grid in the wet was sub 60fps - the worst being 47fps - in a storm and this rose to 90fps when racing alone.

Dropping the reflections and environmental map down as suggested above might significantly assist the frame rate.

Klocker

I posted earlier about how badly the 720S handles with a controller and there's a thread on the official forum discussing which cars feel like shite with a controller - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51707-Can-t-get-the-car-to-stay-straight-(controller)

On the plus side some cars do feel great to drive with a controller, so I hold out hope it's 'just' another bug and will eventually be fixed...

yes that's the one I alluded to earlier, it actually goes on to determine that while some cars are affected worse than others that the real culprit has been determined to be related to AI omtrack. over 16 total grid and it is happening, under, it is not.

try the cars you have issue with in Private testing and see if it is better

Grassy

yes that's the one I alluded to earlier, it actually goes on to determine that while some cars are affected worse than others that the real culprit has been determined to be related to AI omtrack. over 16 total grid and it is happening, under, it is not.

try the cars you have issue with in Private testing and see if it is better

Well that didn't work for me, but I 100% fixed it by going into the Project Cars 2 folder in 'My Documents" and deleting the tweaked controller config....holy fucking shit! The 720S feels amazing now and as I'd expected it to in the first place, as do all the other cars that previously felt terrible to drive. Even the few cars I thought handled OK like the Formula Rookie cars feel so much better now...Fuck! AI races or 'Private Testing" have no effect on the handling at all for me.

Like many others, one of the first things I did was to tweak my controller settings. This obviously completely fucks the handling of the cars, it seems to mess with tyre temps too.

Fucking hell...feels like I'm playing a new game now and starting fresh after 15 hours. On the plus side, I managed to come 444th in the GT-R community event @ Sugo, and 314th in the Caterham @ Knockhill event with completely borked controller handling...LUL.

On the first game, I managed to configure the controller in a way I was happy with.

I like having it so that in cockpit view, the steering wheel movement correlates pretty much directly with what I do with the analogue stick. For example, if I move the stick from the far left to the right, the steering wheel on-screen will snap that way too.

In PC2, the movement of the steering wheel on-screen seems to be 'dampened' somewhat, in that it doesn't move quickly. It's almost as if the steering wheel follows the movement of the front wheels instead.

Any ideas which setting I can change to get it more to my liking?

danowat

Banned
On the first game, I managed to configure the controller in a way I was happy with.

I like having it so that in cockpit view, the steering wheel movement correlates pretty much directly with what I do with the analogue stick. For example, if I move the stick from the far left to the right, the steering wheel on-screen will snap that way too.

In PC2, the movement of the steering wheel on-screen seems to be 'dampened' somewhat, in that it doesn't move quickly. It's almost as if the steering wheel follows the movement of the front wheels instead.

My experience with trying to alter the default controller setup has been terrible, anything I do to the settings makes it terrible to drive, and putting the settings back to what they were doesn't return it to how it felt before, the only way I can do that is to delete the settings file on my PS4.

Anyone else really struggle with doing any trail braking in PC2?,
Missed your question at first.

Some cars have this weird tire problem: you lock the inside front wheel and instead of understeer(because the overall front grip went down) you gut a burst of oversteer that wants to rotate the car around the locked up wheel. I think I've read somewhere that ABS systems in real life also exploit a phenomenon where inducing braking slip to a higher degree then the wheel normally can take, but only for short amounts of time <500ms, let the tire exceed its limits. But that this could result in such stopping and rotating power is just really in my opinion. pCARS1 had this too. Try the AMG GT3, brake bias to the front at Road America first corner for example... it's in both games more or less the same. Worse in pCARS1. In pCARS2 the McLaren P1 seems to be worse in thi regard than in pCARS1 though. Overall the FFB gives me better feedback and the screeching braking noise has almost not spool-up(/fade-in) until you recognize it, so it's overall easier in PC2 for me.

Other cars still show the opposite, brake balance to the rear, you'd expect to get a better turn-in response braking into a corner, but you get understeer from braking with no locking wheel. Weight should be shifted to the front, how would you get understeer. But this was much more prominent for me in pCARS1. It' almost gone entirely for me in PC2.

What problem with trail braking are you experiencing exactly?

Oversteering into the apex mainly, some cars seem to get really light on turn in.

If you have it in most cars, then it's probably something solved by using wheel and pedals. If most cars are ok and some are just very different and bad at this... then it might be the tire/brake model.

danowat

Banned
If you have it in most cars, then it's probably something solved by using wheel and pedals. If most cars are ok and some are just very different and bad at this... then it might be the tire/brake model.

Not all cars, some cars you expect to be a handful, i.e. the F40 LM, are really planted, and others, like the Formula Rookie (I know there are issues with tyre heat on the FR) are really skittery at low speeds.

But it's always under braking, I'll just have to rejig my braking points and threshold brake rather than trail.

Well I caved and bought it off steam. I own the original on PS4 but strangely didn't play it much, but did enjoy the driving model. Hoping this has better controller support because I did struggle with it on PS4.

Also GTS in two weeks, heh.

Should I bother with the new drivers optimised for PC2?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Well I caved and bought it off steam. I own the original on PS4 but strangely didn’t play it much, but did enjoy the driving model. Hoping this has better controller support because I did struggle with it on PS4.

Also GTS in two weeks, heh.

Should I bother with the new drivers optimised for PC2?

I always update drivers unless there are issues with the newest version. You might as well, it'll probably help you get the best performance out of PC2.

Not all cars, some cars you expect to be a handful, i.e. the F40 LM, are really planted, and others, like the Formula Rookie (I know there are issues with tyre heat on the FR) are really skittery at low speeds.

But it's always under braking, I'll just have to rejig my braking points and threshold brake rather than trail.

Some things are not really for you on a pad, but to me braking felt years better by reducing sensitivity to 20 and on every car brake pressure to 75.

Also, for these types of techniques, i think a balance of 58-60 braking in the front should help, even if the car has a good weight distribuition.

You should dial up the steering sensitivity to 50. That supposedly makes the wheel position one for one with the analog controls. Try higher if that's not quick enough for you.

Also, for these types of techniques, i think a balance of 58-60 braking in the front should help, even if the car has a good weight distribuition.
60 will normally still lock up the rear first in a straight line. Depending on how much more front side-slip angle than rear you put on while trail-braking, 60 should be fine though and not send your rear flying first.

But the brake balances in pCARS1 and 2 are weird. In reality even cars with a very low and rearward CoG like a 911 GT3 Cup (62/38 weight balance ; 270mm front tire width / 310mm rear) have an ideal brake balance of ~61% front (Formula 1 is about 58-60 front too, over 60 even on courses with the most important braking zones at over 200km/h).
So many cars in pCARS1 and 2 have default brake balance settings under 60(?!). Of course, if you don't get to the highest possible deceleration and almost always underbrake the car, you are closer to the best deceleration with a more rearward (fake edit: "closer to 50/50") brake balance, because the ideal brake balance changes with the amount of weight shifted - if you pussy-foot the brake pedal, a 50/50 brake balance will decelerate the car more than the ideal threshold brake balance of maybe 35r/65f.

And another thing most people don't consider:
The center of gravity height, not the weight distribution, is the most important criterion for the ideal brake balance, the lower the CoG, the closer the ideal brake balance will be to 50/50 (unless you have very different tire widths front to rear of course).

Klocker

Well that didn't work for me, but I 100% fixed it by going into the Project Cars 2 folder in 'My Documents" and deleting the tweaked controller config....holy fucking shit! The 720S feels amazing now and as I'd expected it to in the first place, as do all the other cars that previously felt terrible to drive. Even the few cars I thought handled OK like the Formula Rookie cars feel so much better now...Fuck! AI races or 'Private Testing" have no effect on the handling at all for me.

Like many others, one of the first things I did was to tweak my controller settings. This obviously completely fucks the handling of the cars, it seems to mess with tyre temps too.

Fucking hell...feels like I'm playing a new game now and starting fresh after 15 hours. On the plus side, I managed to come 444th in the GT-R community event @ Sugo, and 314th in the Caterham @ Knockhill event with completely borked controller handling...LUL.

ahh sorry that is an xbox thread so I thought you were on that... the AI causing player cars to weave on their own over 16 cars issue is an xbox known issue

danowat

Banned

Yup, I am not sure why this isn't more widely known, and not sure why they aren't doing anything about it.

Mascot

Almost caved and re-bought this game for £29. Almost.
Had it in my basket then went on GTP and the official forums and found out about a whole ream of new bugs.

What's the progress with the various patches?

danowat

Banned

Someone else with the issue

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...ivity-Missing-linearity-option-(PC-X1-gamepad)

What does that mean?

Edit : Another question, is the forced removal of assists, even if the car has authentic assists IRL, a design decision?

ValfarHL

Had it in my basket then went on GTP and the official forums and found out about a whole ream of new bugs.

What's the progress with the various patches?

It's worth it, IMO. The driving when it works, which is most of the time, is sublime!
Racing against AI with the correct settings is fun as hell.

I have no game breaking bugs, except some tyres not warming up, some inconsistent AI, some setups not saving etc. Nothing that really detracts too much.

I haven't gone online yet, though.

TJP

There are no serious issues with this game; just ask Ian Bell.

Wait for the Steam sales before re-buying. Rushing back in when the bug list is growing rewards the publisher. So many other sims to play right now.

With FM7 full of loot crates & GT an unknown quantity (although looking good), pCARS2 released at the right time. Too bad the release is as botched as it is.

danowat

Banned

Wasn't 6 major bugs the threshold for a buggy release or something ridiculous?

I understand the PC version isn't half as bad as the consoles, I'd like to see him play for a few hours on my PS4 and tell me it doesn't have serious issues.

On another subject, has anyone else played about the SC?

It's something that I've found I've had to turn on, for pad driving, otherwise I am always driving on a knife edge, and it's just not fun.

It feels quite intrusive and does really pull the car out of line with quite a jolt if you start sliding, I don't believe it's at all adjustable? (like it is in AC).

Mascot

Wait for the Steam sales before re-buying. Rushing back in when the bug list is growing rewards the publisher. So many other sims to play right now.

With FM7 full of loot crates & GT an unknown quantity (although looking good), pCARS2 released at the right time. Too bad the release is as botched as it is.

I agree with all of this. I decided to definitely wait, then I see a pretty cool YouTube video, then I start looking for deals, then I start hearing about new bugs, then I go back to Assetto Corsa, then I look at my wallet and smile.

Assuming pCARS 2 is eventually kicked into some sort of shape then I'll definitely pick it up. It'd be madness to rebuy it until then.

Top Bottom