• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5 Review Thread

What the fuck happened?! It's Project Zero mayne, these games usually review well.

My concern is that the battle system becomes commonplace and the strategy doesn't change, which will make everything less scary and exploration less fun if battles constantly happen. I'm just getting this sense from the reviews, I hope it isn't true because I'm really excited for the game

Astarte

This definitely seems like a hit or miss title for most people.

Unfortunately the sad reality of it is that in "gamers" eyes a 7/10 is an absolute abomination, financial fiasco, and all around disaster that must be purged with fire!

When in reality the average score makes it seem like an solid "good" title.

For me, an average is a 5 because a 5 is literally middle of the road. If something is given a 7, I'd consider it above average so I'm fine with it. A lot of my favorite games are given 6's or 7's so I don't really care.

4 came out only in Japan. Nobody else got it.

At least there was a fan translation patch

Rymuth

Damn. If Jim doesn't like it (he's a big survival horror guy), I'm worried.
Jim took a big dump on Mad Max. I, myself, picked it up used and can't stop playing it.

Unless I see plenty of 4s and 3s, I think this could be another case of the critics and the fans not seeing eye to eye.

Sakura

I enjoyed it for the atmosphere and story. But if you are looking for an epic horror game then that's not what it is. It's very obviously a lower budget game.

The buzz surrounding this game seemed pretty good, so I'm surprised at the mediocre reviews. I was looking forward to picking this up, but now I'm not sure.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sounds like it starts out strong and then goes downhill. Guess I'll be skipping this one, or at least play the first part.

joedick

Why is everyone passing based on 5-7 scores? Isn't the first chapter free? Why not test it out rather than go by its metascore?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Everyeye.it: 8/10: Mount Hikami is there for you; but be aware, don't trust all the shadows hiden in those woods: one of them could be your own, still trapped in the melancholic aura of this nightmare.

Multiplayer.it: 8/10: Story is very good and the horror cinema inspirations, in particular from the traditional japanese folklore, are there for you, being a key factor for the purchase.

IGN.it: 7/10: A survival horror game with the right atmosphere.

Diebuster

As a big fan of the first three games, these scores are a bummer. Fatal Frame was pretty much the last quality franchise of PS2-era survival horror. :/

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'd argue that it ramps up towards the end. The bosses and closure to each personal story are sweet.

Litri

I will buy it anyway... I don't understand how a run of the mill teenager-scare story like the one in Until Dawn can get away just like that... but maybe it's me.

I will buy it anyway... I don't understand how a run of the mill teenager-scare story like the one in Until Dawn can get away just like that... but maybe it's me.

Until Dawn has fairly good portrayals of its purposefully cliché characters... and you're actually in charge of their daft decisions, for the most part.

This seems far more wooden.

Why is everyone passing based on 5-7 scores? Isn't the first chapter free? Why not test it out rather than go by its metascore?

I've got a lot of games to play, so I can't afford to waste time with something mediocre, even if it's free. Plus, going by the reviews, there's a dramatic drop off in quality after the first chapter so it's a deceptive indicator of what the rest of the game is like.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Luckily is free to start, so I will try it and see (acknowledging the fact that it might get repetitive according to Jim). It's a bummer that the scores are all over the place.

For me, an average is a 5 because a 5 is literally middle of the road. If something is given a 7, I'd consider it above average so I'm fine with it. A lot of my favorite games are given 6's or 7's so I don't really care.

At least there was a fan translation patch

I agree. In a perfect world a 5 should tell you the game is neither good or bad but sadly that's not how gaming review journalism developed over the years.

Given what the reviews have shown so far, and the fact that I don't have any external storage, I think I might have to hold off for now. Love horror games but not sure the cost of the external HD and the game is worth it right now.

Was dual-audio ever confirmed in the NA version?

catbrush

4 was so good! Why couldn't they just follow that game's formula? I'll still give this one a try since it's free to start.

Hopefully the critics just have wrong opinions.
(lol)

mr-paul

I've reviewed it and it's a good game. Not mind-blowing, but it was fun. 7/10.

Not scary enough, but it's unique. It's worth playing. It isn't bad by any means.

As long as you don't go in expecting the best horror game you've ever played, you shouldn't be disappointed.

It's got a great atmosphere and using the Gamepad as camera is very fun.

RK128

Never played the series (despite owning two of them on my PS3 thanks to PS2 Classics) but I thought this was a outstanding horror series from impressions people had on it.

So this new one being weak from reviewers comments is....not great to hear :(. Then again, I don't trust most reviewers and the ones I do trust (Jim Sterling's reviews and GamExplain's reviews) seem to have conflicting scores with one another.

If I get a Wii U at some point, will give the demo a shot and see how much I enjoy that before I judge the game.

Great review... Really looking forward to trying the demo at least.

Thanks! Definitely do try the demo. You have nothing to lose since it's free, and I really have been enjoying the game!

I've got a lot of games to play, so I can't afford to waste time with something mediocre, even if it's free. Plus, going by the reviews, there's a dramatic drop off in quality after the first chapter so it's a deceptive indicator of what the rest of the game is like.

IMO it's the exact opposite, and I said so in my review: the prologue and first chapter are worryingly slow, and then the game takes off once the second chapter (which is part of the free-to-play demo) begins.

Unison

Never played the series (despite owning two of them on my PS3 thanks to PS2 Classics) but I thought this was a outstanding horror series from impressions people had on it.

So this new one being weak from reviewers comments is....not great to hear :(. Then again, I don't trust most reviewers and the ones I do trust (Jim Sterling's reviews and GamExplain's reviews) seem to have conflicting scores with one another.

If I get a Wii U at some point, will give the demo a shot and see how much I enjoy that before I judge the game.

I watched a playthrough of the JP version on Kotaku. It looks a lot like the old games... The guy who was doing the stream was a big fan of the series and basically said it was as strong as most of them.

I think it's less that this is a bad entry than it's more of the same (plus Gamepad controls). Honestly, it looked good to me, if a bit slow paced and old-school (i.e. more similar to RE1-3 or Silent Hill 1-2 than contemporary horror games).

raven777

CRsCi4fUEAAZ3S6.jpg:orig

Marche90

Good thing this game is free to start. I'm sure it will help people decide if the game is for them or not.

As for me, I don't have a wii u yet, but I'll be sure to give it a chance when I do (yes, I know the NX is coming next year probably. I'll get one on the cheap)

Edit: wait, what? What was cut from this release?

The problem with this mindset is that game scores are not typically based on a "5 as average" scale but instead more on a school grading system, where 50% is a failing grade and 70% is considered merely adequate. I don't think there's any publication that would score something a 6/10 and consider it an above-average game.

RK128

I watched a playthrough of the JP version on Kotaku. It looks a lot like the old games... The guy who was doing the stream was a big fan of the series and basically said it was as strong as most of them.

I think it's less that this is a bad entry than it's more of the same (plus Gamepad controls). Honestly, it looked good to me, if a bit slow paced and old-school (i.e. more similar to RE1-3 or Silent Hill 1-2 than contemporary horror games).

That is an odd complaint, considering the last main-line one never made it out of Japan (though I think it did came out in EU....), so this should feel refreshing to most critics.

In a way, its kinda like some of the reviews for Tools of Destruction when that came out in 2007; GameSpot gave it somewhere in the 7's due to it being so similar to the PS2 installments and not being a 'proper' upgrade over the PS2 titles.

But it didn't need to do anything majorly new; just have the polished gameplay of the PS2 series but with higher production values that the PS3 can provide, which the game did. The only issues was that the story was weaker and that the camera was an issue (when it wasn't in the PS2 titles) but still, good game :).

Top Bottom