• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype 2 |OT| There's a Prototype 2?

I enjoyed the first one a lot but from what I've seen there doesn't seem to be much changed.

The first one suffered greatly once the elite military and uber freaks were your main enemies which made you feel weak.

If the side missions and difficulty have had favorable changes I might consider keeping the game from gamefly.

Teknoman

The commercial for this is cheesy as hell.

Also the first game sold over 2 million copies. What is the matter with you people?

For me, it was a case of deciding between Prototype and Infamous 1. Prototype 2 looks really interesting from what i've seen, but I really hope the impact noises and hits are alot stronger sounding than what was shown in the 11 reasons trailer.

EDIT: With him having all those crazy super powers, I really dont see a point to him having weapons. If anything, ranged bioweapons would have been the best way to go.

Yo Gotti

Banned
EDIT: With him having all those crazy super powers, I really dont see a point to him having weapons. If anything, ranged bioweapons would have been the best way to go.

Jumping in the air and 1-shotting a dozen dudes from 100 feet away with an Assault Rifle >.

Unicorn

The thermobaric tank in Prototype is probably the coolest weapon in gaming since the Rocket Launcher in Turok (reboot).

Amagon

Could never get into the first game, maybe I should try again but I got my eyes on the reviews for Prototype 2.

Man, that live-action trailer is unintentionally hilarious. Possibly an all-time nadir for the "moody music and slow-mo in an attempt to imbue an action game with unearned emotional significance" trend.

This, so much. It wasn't cool when gears of war did it, it's not cool now. Games trying to get emotional/Hollywood in a generic sci fi action game with 1 dimensional characters is the worst thing to come out of this gen.

Jac_Solar

There are 3 cities, each completely open to explore however you want.

Minor spoilers:

The other 2 cities open up once you complete a certain amount of story quests. It's quite large in total (Counting all 3 cities.), maybe 1.5 times larger than Prototype 1.

Radnet comes with the pre order edition and it's a menu option in the info (map, your stats, upgrades, etc.) menu -- and in one of the submenus (Challenges, bonus content like dev diaries/vids, and one more but I forgot its name.) there are challenges listed for specific dates. There are a couple of pages each containing 5 challenges, but all the rewards seem to be an Alex Mercer skin at the moment.

I'll give it a rent, and I'm sure it'll be okay. But, seriously. Promotional shit for this has been just awful...

nepCG.jpg

Hm, is that PC delay new? I'd swear it was day and date at one point.

They always start that way...

Thread title about sums it up for me. Honestly didn't realize there was a sequel and may have forgotten there was an original.

Is the first game still relevant/probably necessary to enjoy the sequel? If not, might give this a rental this at some point.

Jac_Solar

Thread title about sums it up for me. Honestly didn't realize there was a sequel and may have forgotten there was an original.

Is the first game still relevant/probably necessary to enjoy the sequel? If not, might give this a rental this at some point.

Not really, and there's a summary, or so, in Prototype 2 of what happened in Prototype 1 I think.

I'm somewhat interested in Prototype 2. Never played the first, but I do like open world games and mindless fun. I rather wait and see though. No reviews up on any major sites so I'll play it by ear.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Right, so what's new about this that should make me want to get it? I didn't care about the story in the first game and nothing in the "11 reasons you must get Prototype 2" advert really made me think it's in any way improved or really changed beyond a different character I don't care about.

I want to be interested in the game, like Hulk Ultimate Destruction before it, playing Venom The Game (how I refer to Prototype 1) and running up buildings and doing super jumps was a blast with random bouts of action here and there. Hopefully this sequel is yet another continuation of that, but right now I just don't see it yet.
Of course I'll read the reviews, but surely I should have something now.

I was a big fan of the first game. Much like the first I hope they improved on the physics of under free running. The powers and mass chaos? Meh. Parkour on steroids is what I like.

mocoworm

Prototype 2 review - Activision gets impressive 9/10 from OPM - Is this the surprise of the year so far?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/344476/prototype-2-review-activision-gets-impressive-910-from-opm/

"Prototype 2 looks set to be one of the surprises of the year, with Official PlayStation Magazine UK following up GamesMaster's 86% review with an even more impressive 9/10.

In its next issue writer Rob Taylor describes the Activision sequel as, "the ultimate manifestation of comic book violence".

"The combat recalls GOW meets Arkham City, though it's far more simplistic," he explains. While it's not perfect - "The oft-repeated dodge moves and finishers against tougher identikit enemies grate before the end"- it is, according to Taylor, "a far stronger game in every aspect than the original and a compelling counterpoint to Infamous 2″.

He closes by describing it as, "a gore-packed sandbox masterpiece". There's a box quote for you.

In its new issue GamesMaster says of the game: "Prototype 2 gives power to the player in ways many titles can only dream of. It gives you options, it lets you explore and experiment, and it's a riotous and compulsive experience. Drink it in."

Good stuff. Activision recently released a slightly emotional live-action trailer for Prototype 2, but if you'd prefer straight up face-smashing gameplay, have a gander at this recent tank mayhem trailer."

Xater

This is out tomorrow? I didn't like the first one and the lack of marketing and impressions makes me smell a bomb.

mocoworm

First Prototype 2 review is pleasant surprise: 'an open-world gem' - GamesMaster goes with 86%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343967/first-prototype-2-review-is-pleasant-surprise-an-open-world-gem/

"The first Prototype 2 review has arrived via the latest issue of GamesMaster, and it seems Activision might have a surprise open-world hit on its hands.

GM's given the sequel 86% - the same score it gave the excellent InFamous - and said that compared to the original it's "a much more unique proposition for fans of superheroes and civilian bashing alike."

The mag sheds most praise on the amount of choice the Radical game offers to players, encompassing "satisfying" action and an "accomplished, varied and ultimately enjoyable" stealth system

"Prototype 2 gives power to the player in ways many titles can only dream of," it writes. "It gives you options, it lets you explore and experiment, and it's a riotous and compulsive experience. Drink it in."

Good stuff. Activision recently released a slightly emotional live-action trailer for Prototype 2, but if you'd prefer straight up face-smashing gameplay, have a gander at this recent tank mayhem trailer.

GamesMaster 251 is out on April 24 with a world-first look at Crysis 3. Buy it online."

NBtoaster

I really liked Prototype even though is was a deeply flawed game. The sequel just isn't doing it for me though. Prototype wasn't a pretty game back in 2009 and now in 2012...Prototype 2 looks downright ugly.

I think it looks decent but constant distant fog in an open world game seems outdated.

bryanee

Amazong Uk has just shipped my copy, I should hopefully get it tomorow. I'm not suprised most people didnt know it wast coming I had no idea until I spotted it when looking through pre-order lists, not a single ad on TV either.

Pretty weird there hasnt been any ads in the UK saying its out on a Tuesday, that wont help the sales.

The first one was decent, even if overshadowed by Infamous which I'm pretty sure released around the same time. I'll be this up eventually, it's just not a priority.

Twinduct

I'd rather have a delayed PC release if it means it's not a terriport.
So I guess we'll have to wait for that verdict.

Having said that, I remember the first one's PC version being pretty ok. I might be wrong here but it ran fine on most hardware and there was no porting caps (ala 30 frame lock and etc).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
First one was a blast to play. It was one of those games where you knew it was unrefined and totally not excellent but was an absolute joy to kill things and travel.

I loved Prototype 1, can't wait to play the second one. It's unfaire to compare it to wide-open sandbox games like Just Cause 2, as the gameplay focus isn't really the same.

Also Prototype 1 had one of the most badass rage-cry
"NOTHING WILL PROTECT YOU FROM ME! NOT MEN, NOT WEAPONS, NOT ARMOR!"

Mr. Sam

Pretty weird there hasnt been any ads in the UK saying its out on a Tuesday, that wont help the sales.

That's odd - I've seen the advert all over UK TV for the past few days. Pretty sure there were some ads attached to the football and Formula One yesterday; otherwise I wouldn't have known it were coming out either.

Good, simple OP.

MEATER

My local game store got it early so I bought it on Saturday. Have only put about 2 hours in so far though.

I really loved Prototype 1 since moving around was so much fun. Really enjoyed the running, jumping and flying from rooftop to rooftop and dropping down to street level spontaneously to devour the memory of some poor scientist.

If you didn't like the first game this is not for you. Basically it's more of the same. As far as I can tell only minor things have changed.

If you want more superhero parcours this is (still) where it's done best in my opinion!

I *sorta* get the OT thread name, but at the same time, this game has had a steady flow of trailers and adverts for at least the last 6 months.

glaurung

I *sorta* get the OT thread name, but at the same time, this game has had a steady flow of trailers and adverts for at least the last 6 months.
The thread title is a bit of an exaggeration.

The ad train for Prototype 2 has been coming hard and fast for the last year or so. The game was delayed a lot, the original release window was supposed to be a lot earlier. I thought they'd use the time to polish the game, but instead they ploughed all the resources into the rubbish ad campaign. I was genuinely interested in the game, I liked the first game's ideas, but the broken story mode was a major letdown. That was why I was hoping they'd fix it in the sequel. It appears they haven't.

And of course delaying the PC version is a standard move. If they had not done that, their sales would have been completely in the toilet, because every thieving bittorrent monkey would have gotten their half-baked product ASAP, declare it shite on every social network site there is and move on to wait for Diablo III. It makes me sad.

bryanee

That's odd - I've seen the advert all over UK TV for the past few days. Pretty sure there were some ads attached to the football and Formula One yesterday; otherwise I wouldn't have known it were coming out either.

Good, simple OP.

I dont have Sky Sports so I wouldnt of seen any on those channels but I havent seen any on Freeview avaiable channels. I have been glued to Witcher 2 though.

Don't know why everyone is so surprised of this game coming out tomorrow...there were actually lots of gameplay videos and interviews and the release date was known like ages ago...

I have to deal with the monstrous delay of the pc version but still curious to hear some opinions from console players.

Top Bottom