• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype 2 |OT| There's a Prototype 2?

Sojgat

Yes, its dlc though, and available near the middle of May..part of the pre-order Radnet junk.. i'm done with the game, unless they're adding new bosses or scenarios, armor i don't need, races and obstacle courses won't change that.

Oh for fuck sake, I pre-ordered this and just got it yesterday. I haven't played it yet and now I am going to have to really wait until all this radnet crap unlocks. This is such a shitty idea from a consumer standpoint that you would think EA had come up with it. Works for Activision though, I had to preorder to get all the stuff and now I have to keep the game for at least 2 months to use it, brilliant it's literally a trap.

BurningNad

Meh, I don't mind that stuff simply because I already plan on keeping it. I'm super powerful now, I can just imagine how it'll be like when I have every power unlocked and available.

Oh for fuck sake, I pre-ordered this and just got it yesterday. I haven't played it yet and now I am going to have to really wait until all this radnet crap unlocks. This is such a shitty idea from a consumer standpoint that you would think EA had come up with it. Works for Activision though, I had to preorder to get all the stuff and now I have to keep the game for at least 2 months to use it, brilliant it's literally a trap.
EA did come up with it. Look up Bad Company 2 VIP. And yes, it's the worst. Punishes everyone. At least Activision PR's not constantly releasing statements in which they pretend they're doing consumers a favor though right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A really cool moment for me that's probably only cool for me. I'm sitting the red zone on top of a building. Look over a rooftop and see two Hunters climbing up the side of the skyscraper. I then fight two hunters on top of a building while
New York is burning with toppled towers and only infested on the ground

The combat music really helps sell it.

Also, upgraded tendrils break this game. they turn hunters into jokes.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Alright, another story, So I'm on a rooftop in the Yellow Zone, and I spot a Blackwatch soldier. I immediately pick him up. Just as I'm about to consume him, he exclaims, "Killing me won't bring back your family, Heller!". Taken back, I instead throw that prick as far as I possibly could, while Heller remarks "Send the ground my regards, motherfucker." and watch him splatter against a building a couple of blocks away.

I'm having way too much fun with this game.

Joystiq - 3 out of 5 http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/25/prototype-2-review/

How much you get out of Prototype 2 depends on how much you enjoy its wonderful mobility and its particular brand of mass destruction, and how much you're willing to forgive its more brain-dead moments – both in terms of repetition and witless dialogue. In the end, perhaps Prototype 2 is best encapsulated with a quote from Heller himself: "Now that's some motherfuckin' gratuitous violence, right there."

v0mitg0d

Prototype 1 was a mess.

The had it moments, but generally speaking it was all over the place. The graphics were sub-par and coupled with a banal aesthetic, making it fairly routine. The gluttonous leveling system shoveled new skills and power-ups at you at an overwhelming pace, and after 4-5 hours I found it to be, frankly, a pretty stale experience. However it felt like that game had a ton of potential. All someone had to do is work out the pacing of it all.

I'm happy to report Prototype 2 has dial back where it needed to, and improved in many of it's systems.

Graphics
Though it's not going to win any awards, the game is now much more appealing to see in action. Textures are now more defined, there appear to be many more things happening on screen, contemporary visual effects are now in place, and it all happens at a fairly sustainable framerate.

Despite all this, it's probably worth mentioning most characters in the game lack any real character to define them other than "I'M UPSET! BLARGH!". That is to say, there is very little depth to anyone in their design and thought. Is this a surprise? Not sure. Plus the cutscenes appear to be running is a much lower framerate than the actual gameplay segments.

Gameplay
Much like the first one, this game is extremely fast and vicious. However unlike the first one it's very rewarding. Moves are responsive, and gave me a sense of extreme power. Running, jumping, gliding and smashing through things amongst the people in this world made me feel unique. I suppose trashing 57 foes in a matter of seconds helps with that though.

Health is replenished by "absorbing" other people. That is to say, you snatch someone out of the crowd and slurp them up, with tentacles, into your skin. Its disgustingly thrilling every. single. time.

Once the game takes the training wheels off and opens up the city, you're allowed to go wherever--yup, time to party! Seriously, running down the street and up the side of a building to the top, leaping hundreds of feet into the air, snapping into a glide and then air-thrusting as you near the ground and then finally slamming into the ground like a goddamn boss is awesome!

Radical Entertainment has done a wonderful job of dialing back the skill system just enough to keep it rewarding and enticing, and not annoyingly overwhelming like the first.

Side-missions yield gameplay rewards and not just pointless achievements or trophies. For example finding all 5 radio drops (similar to the Satallite Uplinks in iNFAMOUS) will unlock a list of options where you can boost melee damage by 10%, or even jump 10% higher. They're fun to seek out, thanks to the furiously quick gameplay, and make sense to the narrative.

I don't mind cussing all the much, but when it's gratuitous it's annoying. The protagonist makes damn sure he drops the F-bomb in almost every scene, because you know, HE'S REALLY PISSED OFF GUYS!! In fact in one instance where he got frustrated with using a computer he was like "WHAT THE FUCK MAN, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THIS FUCKING THING. THIS FUCKING THING SUCKS. FUCKING COMPUTERS!!!!!!111ONE".

Ok. ok. We get it. He's upset. I suppose my annoyance with it all is because it just comes across as lazy. There are many other ways to express frustration. How about trying to do it through gameplay? Blah. Tangent.

Conclusion
Anyway, I really do like Prototype 2. The sense of speed and power the game gives you in second to none. inf act I don't think I've ever played a video game that knows how to make you feel like you're completely able to traversing a city within a few moments, and without flying. It's a very good video game.

However this one more thing I'd like to share--food for thought really.

At one point in the game I went to slurp up one of the Blackwatch soldiers and he exclaimed "Killing me won't bring back your family Heller!". It was a reminder that my mission was a pointless one--he was right. Though it was a very small morsel of the overall Prototype 2 experience, it was enough to completely take me out of the game. What the hell was I doing? Yes the protagonist was angry, seeking vengeance, but I couldn't help but wonder what the point was. Perhaps all this is a missed opportunity for Activision? What about choice? What about cause and effect? What's happening to all these people I've been slurping up for health? What if this game offered different paths with varying conclusions? Something other than a path filled with the lust for vengeance, blood and power.

It's true, Radical Entertainment and Activision intended to make the video game they made, but like Clint Hocking with Far Cry 2, why not take the opportunity to push farther a flawed game (Prototype 1) into new territory?

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't know what's worse, the fact that these radnet events unlock over the course of the next month rather than all at once, or the fact that that radnet is even a thing. This stuff seems like the basic events and challenges that almost every other open world game has as a given.

oh well.

1stStrike

Banned
I don't know what's worse, the fact that these radnet events unlock over the course of the next month rather than all at once, or the fact that that radnet is even a thing. This stuff seems like the basic events and challenges that almost every other open world game has as a given.

oh well.

Yeah, by the time they all unlock I won't give a shit. The thing is, though, they also have some DLC coming in the midst of all the little RADNET events, so that may be enough to rekindle my interest at that time.

Yeah, by the time they all unlock I won't give a shit. The thing is, though, they also have some DLC coming in the midst of all the little RADNET events, so that may be enough to rekindle my interest at that time.

i agree with the negative reaction, the event that did open is unfun, i wish it had a UGC thingy like Infamous :( ran out of lairs to raid and the recon teams hidden on the map are too weak to care about. a random evolved would have been nice.

BurningNad

Well, beat it today on hard, and cleaned up some trophies, all I have left is to level up enough to buy the last 3 or 4 points worth of health and I'll have it platinumed. Going through NG+ on Insane now for the mission EP. Overall I'd give the game a 9/10, but I was a big fan of the first (and prefer it in some ways to this one) so I may be slightly biased. For the extra content, I'll just wait until it's all out and take a few days to finish it all.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I just finished the game, got all trophies, platinum'd, and acquired all upgrades possible. Overall, I thought it was a really good kind of game, full of gore, guts, and some great moments. Honestly, I'd give it an 8.5/10 if I was rating the game. I'll keep the thread updated with news on all of the DLC that will be released later.

Finished the game today. I will have my full review up later today.

Did anyone else feel the standard difficulty was a joke? Especially with all of the mutations?

EvB

Finished the game today. I will have my full review up later today.

Did anyone else feel the standard difficulty was a joke? Especially with all of the mutations?

To be honest, hard was barely a challenge, just a couple of annoying bits with big monsters and the end fight.

I've since discovered after getting my hard cheev that the easier modes give you prompts to block, which makes quite a few sections lots easier.

My initial impressions sounded really harsh and I should be clearer, despite not much having changed since the first game, it's a distinct improvement over the first and is a far superior game. I really did enjoy every moment of this game.

Except the cutscenes. Which were tedious.

I'm just on new game plus trying to max Heller out

Zabka

I miss some of the move variety from the first game but what you get in this works well enough. Maybe it's just the frame rate drops but the animation transitions were a little bit smoother in the first game too. Other than that this game is a big improvement on the first.

Once I hit the Red Zone with level 4 Hammer Fists I got that old feeling again. The 3-way battle between Blackwatch, the infected and the player was my favorite part of the first game and advancing that just a bit with a totally bombed out NYC setting is great. The lighting looks way more natural compared to the first, especially at night with the helicopters and their searchlights tracking you. Unfortunately the added detail in the environment leads to a lot more aliasing and moire on the buildings. Physics are a bit improved too, a little bit more realistic with enemies sent rolling after some attacks. Tossing enemies around with the fully powered up Hammerfists, Bio-bomb and Whip fists looks fantastic.

Thank God they put hints for the the Blackbox, Lair and...that third thing's locations on the map screen. I breezed through the collectibles instead of farting around like an idiot. That plus the improvements to the stealth system helped make the optional elements of the game a little less frustrating. Unrelated to that, it took me way too long to realize hitting right on the d-pad puts your "weapons" away.

It's definitely a worthy sequel to the first, unlike Infamous 2 which felt like a half-hearted, watered down, weak-ass version of Infamous. The only thing that would prevent me from recommending it to someone is the dumbass RADNet bullshit. I don't think the 2 month trickle of content being announced at the same time as a 3 month delayed PC release was a coincidence. I only just took a look at the future content and it looks like they locked the full armor mutation away for over a month! Just the idea of locking away something from the first game as an anti-piracy measure is fucking crap since they only added two new mutations (tendrils and the Pack) and dropped a bunch of the original move set. If you're gonna hold out a carrot on a stick give me something original.

Sojgat

I just completed Protoype 1 yesterday and loved it, I'm kicking myself for not playing it sooner, it fast became one of my favourite games this gen. So I have gone straight into Prototype 2 and I am not feeling it at all. I hate the way the boosting and gliding inputs have been changed to the exact opposite buttons from the first game. It's totally throwing me off and I just can't get used to it, no jump charge keeps fucking me up and I just keep walking off the tops of buildings. The draw distance is also kind of a let down, while the detail level of the city is higher, it comes off as far less impressive, even with the added rain effects. The combat doesn't seem to flow as well as it did in the first game either, the dodge is a nice addition but the inputs for everything almost seem laggy. I have been playing for about 4 hours and have done quite a bit, should I return the game, or does it get better?

1stStrike

Banned
I just completed Protoype 1 yesterday and loved it, I'm kicking myself for not playing it sooner, it fast became one of my favourite games this gen. So I have gone straight into Prototype 2 and I am not feeling it at all. I hate the way the boosting and gliding inputs have been changed to the exact opposite buttons from the first game. It's totally throwing me off and I just can't get used to it, no jump charge keeps fucking me up and I just keep walking off the tops of buildings. The draw distance is also kind of a let down, while the detail level of the city is higher, it comes off as far less impressive, even with the added rain effects. The combat doesn't seem to flow as well as it did in the first game either, the dodge is a nice addition but the inputs for everything almost seem laggy. I have been playing for about 4 hours and have done quite a bit, should I return the game, or does it get better?

It gets better as you proceed through the game. Once you hit the red zone, especially, you get back to that old feeling you had in Prototype 1 with the massive city, hijacking helicopters, and huge/crazy battles.

I beat it the other day and had a lot more fun in the red zone than I did leading up to it, but I have to say that the final boss battle was garbage. It was a QTE-fest and the ending left a lot to be desired.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed with this. It's still fun, but it's not much of a leap from the previous game. Plus, it seems like it's much shorter and not nearly as in depth as the original. Even though the first game was only on Manhattan, it seemed like a much larger space, or rather more dense, than P2.

Plus they removed a number of moves and abilities. I know they wanted to go more streamlined with it, but there isn't much in the way of abilities and techniques, compared to the original. I REALLY miss the armor defense ability. Also, the dodge is really weird and finicky. The 'updated' targeting system doesn't make it any better either.

I'm not really too into Radnet either. I like the idea, but they clearly took a number of missions that were openly available in the previous game, and stuffed them into this new game mode. Which I find a bit disturbing. Considering that they're gonna charge out the ass for new missions, and new (?) abilities that were already present in the previous game.

Though what really bugs me is the change in Alex Mercer as a character.
After the first game, he saved NYC from a nuke. Now in this game, he wants to create an army of evolved and control humanity with the Whitelight virus. What the hell brought this change? I feel like we were missing some important bit of information. It was just weird for them to pull this out of their ass. I know Mercer wasn't really 'good guy', but he wasn't really a megalomaniac either. It just seems like Radical wasn't happy with the character and they just wanted to get rid of him altogether.

I still liked it, but they could've done way better than this.

Anyone else get this weird screen when browsing the DLC?

WP_001252.jpg

I ran the math -- the DLC would cost about $66,571,993. Anyone know why it comes it up?

Dave1988

Though what really bugs me is the change in Alex Mercer as a character.
After the first game, he saved NYC from a nuke. Now in this game, he wants to create an army of evolved and control humanity with the Whitelight virus. What the hell brought this change? I feel like we were missing some important bit of information. It was just weird for them to pull this out of their ass. I know Mercer wasn't really 'good guy', but he wasn't really a megalomaniac either. It just seems like Radical wasn't happy with the character and they just wanted to get rid of him altogether.

They portray "Mercer's" change from hero to villain in a two-issue comic book series. Basically, after the events of Prototype 1, "Mercer" sets out to travel the world. He visits various regions of conflict and tries to help the oppressed. He becomes more and more resentful of humanity because of their petty and violent nature as time goes by. In the end, "Mercer" decides that humans are no better than ants and sets his plan of replacing humanity in motion.

And "Mercer" may yet return for P3. As he is the virus itself and not just another infected, he may well be "alive" inside Heller.

1stStrike

Banned
I think we need to see sales figures before we start talking about a 3rd iteration of this game. Personally, I'll be incredibly surprised if they do make a 3rd one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think we need to see sales figures before we start talking about a 3rd iteration of this game. Personally, I'll be incredibly surprised if they do make a 3rd one.
Yeah. I don't see Radical being around much longer. There's no way this hit Activision's projections. It makes me scared for Transformers, but I imagine Hasbro has a deal with that, and I'm sure all Transformers games sell well enough.

Sojgat

I'm starting to get into the swing of this thing now. The game has some good ideas and the environment is much more varied than the original Prototype, lots of cool little details (love how the screen goes b&w when you're low on health). The whole first area reminded me of Infamous with all the lower roof heights of the buildings, kind of funny really. I'm gonna keep this, it's getting better, but I still prefer the first game.

Anyone else get this weird screen when browsing the DLC?

WP_001252.jpg

I ran the math -- the DLC would cost about $66,571,993. Anyone know why it comes it up?

Never mind, it was just because I had special "VIP" access. Not an official line but I was told "Given that the DLC isn’t available for purchase yet but it is still listed when you use a VIP code, 66 billion is the default amount it tries to charge you to make sure no one can buy it."

Mystery solved.

And for those complaining of an "easy" final boss fight: it had better be. Heller spends the whole game levelling up and becoming more powerful. If Heller came up on a "one hit kill" final boss, that would be zero fun.

mujun

I had a lot of fun with this. The traversal is the best in any game I've played (yep, even better than Crackdown) and they really know how to make you feel like a badass super hero. If they could just improve on their story telling and put more variety into the next one.

Pandemic

Played for a while. I'm really enjoying it. I enjoyed the original Prototype, so no surprise that I find the sequel enjoying too...

Mdk7

I usually hate open-world games (i find them boring and dispersive for my taste), but i've always been weirdly attracted by this one.
I don't know, it might be because i like the main character, the cover or whatever... i just felt like playing it (and consider i've never, ever touched the original).
So today i eventually bought it for little money, trading in a couple of old games.

3 hours in, i'm fucking BLOWN AWAY.
My god, this game is so much fun...
Few things really surprised and amazed me:
- the intro, with a very intense and movie-like video that feels surprisingly emotional
- the main character, who's just badass and fucking cool
- the attention to detail: from the real-life videos to the menus, you can clearly see that lot of care was put in the project
- the atmosphere, with this awesome mix of contagion, curfew, conspiracy and freaky, gory shit
- the gameplay, which is nothing but stellar. It's one of those games where even the dumbest action is pure, genuine fun.
- the superpowers... i already feel like a fucking god, and i'm only at level 3, with like 85% of the real cool stuff yet to unlock.

Surprise of the year for me, along with Pandora's Tower.
Do NOT overlook this little gem...GG Activision!

DrBo42

On the fence, really like the locomotion is this series. Can you upgrade the jump to be completely ridiculous? I'd rather play it Crackdown 1-esque rather than the bizarre glide animation.

Jaroof

Just finished this game earlier.
Gotta say that I'm pretty disappointed, overall.
It started off strong, but as I progressed, it just got too repetitive, and the unlockables didn't even seem worth it.

The fact that this game had less moves than the first, along with a terrible lock-on system.. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first game.

I did love the silly over-the-top dialogue, though. I don't think there were many lines Heller had where he wasn't cursing.

I just really love the transition from the main menu into the game. It's so buttery smooth. I wish all open-world games could do that.

I do agree on this, though..
This was done extremely well.

exYle

I just really love the transition from the main menu into the game. It's so buttery smooth. I wish all open-world games could do that.

dethforce

Banned
They portray "Mercer's" change from hero to villain in a two-issue comic book series. Basically, after the events of Prototype 1, "Mercer" sets out to travel the world. He visits various regions of conflict and tries to help the oppressed. He becomes more and more resentful of humanity because of their petty and violent nature as time goes by. In the end, "Mercer" decides that humans are no better than ants and sets his plan of replacing humanity in motion.

And "Mercer" may yet return for P3. As he is the virus itself and not just another infected, he may well be "alive" inside Heller.

thank you for the explanation, i asked myself too, why mercer changed so much after P1. the story is crap and this doesnt make much sense imo.

i am in the red zone now, but i am feeling more and more, that i am playing prototype 1 with better visuals. the gameplay gets stale, there arent any new elements in the gameplay too and the cutscenes / story is horrible. i dont like heller too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Me too, I love how that's pulled off.

I beat this earlier and am really impressed overall. The lockon system can be annoying but aside from that I think it plays well and feels much more polished overall, helped by a difficulty curve that isn't all over the place. Hard was pretty much perfect to me, though Pack Leader in general seem insanely overpowered. I'm on Insanity now and having 4 of them basically fucks up anything.

madmook

Beat it today, really had fun. Never played P1 so this came outta nowhere. I like being so over-powered in a game. Only have minor quibbles like a jerky camera, flaky lock-on and a sometimes unstable framerate (360 version here). I also don't like the radnet staggered release of content, but oh well.

Anybody else playing the 360 version, add me to your friends list (gamertag madmook) so I have more challenge scores to compare against!

DrBo42

What's the replay value looking like on this? Can you just go nuts in the red zone after beating the game? Is there a NG+?

I feel like I need to play this game on mute to enjoy it. The screams and sound effects are so generic and the writing is horrendous.

Yeah.

I did start+select through every cutscene on my FIRST playthrough. Game is not exceptional, but mad mindless fun. Starting my Hard-run tomorrow to mop up all the trophies.

I also love the collectible hints and the fact that the game felt more streamlined. I want to feel like a badass and not get 1-hitted by stupid enemies. Makes everything less difficult as a result but difficulty is not the point in these games imo. I just wanted a mindless cathartic whack-fest, and for that I got my money's worth.

DrBo42

Copy arrives Monday, hopefully I'm in for some mindless fun. Amazing how over-the-top the lead character is in terms of the whole "angry black guy" stereotype, it makes me laugh. Not really because of the stereotype but because someone at ATVI thinks that's cool.

Top Bottom