• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Provocative Russia Today ads rejected at US airports *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meus Renaissance said:
That is...one of the silliest things I've read on GAF. That takes some doing. Don't know if I should be impressed or not

Except it's not silly. This is an airport choosing what is allowed on their walls. They have every right to choose what is and isn't allowed on their own walls, these are paid advertisements. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with private advertising.

-viper-

Banned
Dali said:
http://rt.com/ads

2a0mgqv.jpg

12348s1.jpg

29vjx1y.jpg

]
these are good

Truant

You guys are crazy, the camera one is the worst one. Looks like something created by an angsty high school kid.

jorma

is now taking requests
elrechazao said:
The only person assuming a bearded persian is a terrorist is you, friend. I get that reading for context is hard though, keep working at it.

Your skills at projection are somewhat lacking. But if it helps you sleep at night i guess we can pretend this never happened, buddy.

X26

Banned
Truant said:
You guys are crazy, the camera one is the worst one. Looks like something created by an angsty high school kid.

Because if nothing else they line-up well on top of each other. The rest just look sloppy, I mean the obama one an eye lines up...but other than that, it's just sloppy looking and lame

ILikeFeet

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Obama represents USA...USA hold a large stock of nuclear weapons, if a war pops off....Now ask yourself the question in the picture. Maybe you should watch the news more

It seems the Americans in the thread are taken this personally because it's coming from Russia..:lol

I'm not taking it personally, but I think using Obama is a bad representation for the nuclear ad. as I said, I dont watch the news very much (and I dont plan on fixing that), so I dont know what's Obama's plan with the weapons.

Truant

elrechazao said:
"the pen is mightier than the sword" has been displayed in much more intelligent and clever ways than that was the point really.

Yeah, exactly. I don't think the point of these is the cleverness of the ads - because they're certainly not clever - but that they exist in the first place. They're not going to change anything, but I'm glad they're made.

Alx

ElectricBlue187 said:
Obama is the greater nuclear threat...really?

It's like one of those things people say on GAF just to illicit a reaction from everyone

Well at least you can ask the question... and the answer is not obvious. After all the US (among others) have fully functional nuclear weapons that they can use in most parts of the world. While Iran has at best the knowledge and materials to build a (prototype of a) bomb.
If a nuclear weapon is used in the next years, it is more likely that it will come from the US (or one of the others "official" nuclear armies) than from Iran.

elrechazao said:
"the pen is mightier than the sword" has been displayed in much more intelligent and clever ways than that was the point really.

So what?

Everyone here got the message, and that is an advert's point. Just because something might not look good, or looks amateurish doesn't mean that should overlook the voice message, especially if it's understood in the first place

Alx said:
Well at least you can ask the question... and the answer is not obvious. After all the US (among others) have fully functional nuclear weapons that they can use in most parts of the world. While Iran has at best the knowledge and materials to build a (prototype of a) bomb.
If a nuclear weapon is used in the next years, it is more likely that it will come from the US (or one of the others "official" nuclear armies) than from Iran.

what?:lol

there are 9 countries with nukes, among those the US and particularly Obama have been the most vocal about nuclear disarmament. Meanwhile amaimajihad routinely talks about wiping Israel off the face of the earth soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Red Nightmare said:
One thing Russia Today won't question is the Russian government. It's a propaganda rag.

Pro-tip: Don't do vapid sophomoric ads at people who will assassinate your ass.

what?

there are 9 countries with nukes, among those the US and particularly Obama have been the most vocal about nuclear disarmament. Meanwhile amaimajihad routinely talks about wiping Israel off the face of the earth soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Think of it this way; the ad was for two kinds of people: Russian patriots, and Fortified. Think about it.

Alx

ElectricBlue187 said:

I don't say that he will do it... but at least he could if he wanted to. While Ahmadinejad can yell all he want, he still lacks the possibility. So if the probability of a nuclear attack by the US is 1%, the probability for Iran would be 0.01%. So 1% is still the higher risk, even if it's already low.

Anyway even if I'm wrong, the fact that we or other people disagree on this shows that the question has a good reason to be asked. So it's not only gratuitous provocation.

Dali said:
That reason alone is why Iran would be more dangerous with nukes. You think they are stupid enough to take credit for a nuke attack? The more likely scenario would be a "stolen" nuke making it's way into the hands of an organization with the same anti-Israel agenda.

It's interesting how these crazy ideas are being entertained even in the media when it's about a US enemy but when someone implies anything similar about the US they're looney conspiracy theorists.

For example, when some people implied that USA's intelligence services purposely overlooked Mutallab's obvious extremist ties which is a perfectly logical hypothesis they were laughed at. But insinuating that Iran will give nuclear weapons to terrorists without any evidence to support it: Perfectly fine. And for the record these weapons can be identified even after they have been used.

Magni

ILikeFeet said:
I'm not taking it personally, but I think using Obama is a bad representation for the nuclear ad. as I said, I dont watch the news very much (and I dont plan on fixing that), so I dont know what's Obama's plan with the weapons.

"Watching the news" doesn't mean much, but I hope you at least follow what's going on in the world, right? I mean, I haven't watched TV regularly for the past three/four years or so, but that doesn't mean I don't follow what's going on.

If you don't care..

They're using Obama because Obama = POTUS = USA. Obama to his friends and family is Barrack/Daddy/Honey/whatever. To everyone else, he's the USA.

ElectricBlue187 said:

In other completely unrelated news, Obama has been vocal about gay rights, health care, lobbyists, transparency in Washington, Guantanamo, the Patriot Act, the war in Iraq etc etc etc.

Alx said:
it is more likely that it will come from the US (or one of the others "official" nuclear armies) than from Iran.

Um, that was a terrible sidestep. Just say "India or Pakistan." Bar none the most likely place a nuclear war might happen within the next 10 years.

Dooraven said:
I don't understand this one. I think it has a police officer and something else.

29vjx1y.jpg

This is really really good.

Which one is more dangerous: the civilian rebelling against his government or the police officer oppressing him?

leroidys

I would be happy if the irony of this being Russian state owned news wasn't lost (ignored?) on so many gaffers. I am disappoint. This isn't like some small web operation, this is basically a branch of the Russian government.

Dali said:
That reason alone is why Iran would be more dangerous with nukes. You think they are stupid enough to take credit for a nuke attack? The more likely scenario would be a "stolen" nuke making it's way into the hands of an organization with the same anti-Israel agenda.

That seems like a somewhat foolish situation since they could still trace it back to Iran whether its done by them or a terrorist cell. The most likely reason why Iran nuclear program is such a huge issue is that it probibly will result in an arm race across the region.

PoliceCop

Banned
elrechazao said:
The only person assuming a bearded persian is a terrorist is you, friend. I get that reading for context is hard though, keep working at it.

Who was arguing it should be banned? I specifically said it shouldn't be . That doesn't mean I don't find it amusing still. I already said, post it everywhere for maximum hilarity. That "censored" version is a trainwreck of foolishness.

As an objective third party, you are wrong. Your posts suck.

leroidys said:
I would be happy if the irony of this being Russian state owned news wasn't lost (ignored?) on so many gaffers. I am disappoint. This isn't like some small web operation, this is basically a branch of the Russian government.

I think most (sane) people realize this is Russian agitprop. Not to mention that Russia isn't well known for their journalistic integrity (and we all know what happens if you "question more" if you're in the Russian media).

Not to mention that the questions they ask are only what you'd find in some 18 year old's Live Journal or 100 level Journalism class.

Deku

Banned
The Experiment said:
I think most (sane) people realize this is Russian agitprop. Not to mention that Russia isn't well known for their journalistic integrity (and we all know what happens if you "question more" if you're in the Russian media).

Not to mention that the questions they ask are only what you'd find in some 18 year old's Live Journal or 100 level Journalism class.

I think its with this understanding that some of the opinions expressed here are quite disconcerting.

Technoob said:
itt: People are impressed by propaganda pictures created by state owned russian media. :lol
"Being impressed" is different than "agreeing with." Some of the "best" propaganda, in terms of aesthetics, has come from the Soviets. I love post-Revolutionary Russian art. I would decorate my home in Constructivist imagery if I could, but that doesn't make me a Bolshevik.

For those criticizing the camera/AK image for being cliched, let's see your brilliant update to the "pen vs. sword" concept (or if you're not actually creative, just a critic, post better examples).

adamsappel said:
"Being impressed" is different than "agreeing with." Some of the "best" propaganda, in terms of aesthetics, has come from the Soviets. I love post-Revolutionary Russian art. I would decorate my home in Constructivist imagery if I could, but that doesn't make me a Bolshevik.

For those criticizing the camera/AK image for being cliched, let's see your brilliant update to the "pen vs. sword" concept (or if you're not actually creative, just a critic, post better examples).
I agree with you. The images are both stark and startling enough to stick with a person long after they've seen them, and that's a good thing if your creating propaganda.

However, if I had to change something on the camera/AK image, I would replace it with the "Is terror only inflicted by terrorists?" tag-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom