• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita firmware 1.8 is the one to watch for PSOne Classics

BradleyUK

Sony has said today that PS Classics support will be added to Vita via the system’s version 1.8 firmware update. Although this was previously announced, this is the first time that Sony has mentioned the firmware by number.

Firmware version 1.8 firmware update was mentioned during Sony’s announcement of the PlayStation 2 Game Archives service for PlayStation 3 which hits Japan soon – the latter is already available in the US and Europe.

There is currently no date for PS Vita Firmware V1.8 other than ‘Summer’.

(Sorry if old)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Too far away :(

Remember that Sony firmware numbers don't make any sense so this could happen tomorrow or in two years.

I still think that it's mind boggling how the emulator wasn't there on day 1.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ugh, still no actual date. It's embarrassing that this still isn't out.

Sintoid

As previously told it's not an emulation problem, it's licensing problem. That's why all the catalogue won't be available on day one...
Sad but true, like for PSP PSOne games need to be licensed by third party in order to be emulated on another system...

sam-jackson-clapping-v0x13.gif

Just release it already, Sony! FFS

As previously told it's not an emulation problem, it's licensing problem. That's why all the catalogue won't be available on day one...
Sad but true, like for PSP PSOne games need to be licensed by third party in order to be emulated on another system...

wat

I better be able to play FFIX and Parasite Eve at the very least.

DMeisterJ

Banned

I'm pretty sure that the whole catalog not being available is just speculation since when they talked about it at E3, they mentioned specific games, and people just ran with the worst-case scenario. Nothing about the whole catalog being unavailable is confirmed.

I'm pretty sure that the whole catalog not being available is just speculation since when they talked about it at E3, they mentioned specific games, and people just ran with the worst-case scenario. Nothing about the whole catalog being unavailable is confirmed.

I could be wrong, but I believe the opposite was actually confirmed -- that all games available on PSN (outside of those with possible emulation issues) will be available from day one.

With a million new games coming out all the time, and new consoles on the way...I just don't understand people wanting to replay old, dusty PS1 games anymore.

Gravijah

With a million new games coming out all the time, and new consoles on the way...I just don't understand people wanting to replay old, dusty PS1 games anymore.

who said i'd be replaying games?

i will be, along with checking out titles i just haven't gotten around to yet.

JCizzle

Hopefully they'll add support for Shadows of the Colossus & God of War HD remote play (as they advertised during E3) along with this update.

I could be wrong, but I believe the opposite was actually confirmed -- that all games available on PSN (outside of those with possible emulation issues) will be available from day one.

That's what I remember hearing as well. But then I believe that was from a show floor rep, the same people that caused the "Killzone is real time" controversy and the clusterfuck over Vita accounts last year, so who knows if they know exactly what's going on.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

They're

A) Cheap
B) Fun

Many are better than a ton of the crap put out today, anyway.

sajj316

Sounds strange to me that they would hold off PSOne emulation due to licensing of "all" the catalog. Most would be fine with 70% of the catalog available day one with the remaining sprinkled in monthly.

sajj316

I think it's more of the expectation that I should be able to came my catalog of PSP, mini, and PS One games that I could play on the PSP and continue on the Vita. Sounds reasonable to me.

I'm hoping this firmware also adds some sort of folder/classification structure to the UI because it will be difficult to manage otherwise. Some would like to do this manually .. me, no thanks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just want to replay Crono Cross. I want to reevaluate it, and it has to be on a portable. If catalog is going to be plagued by compatibility issues then I'm going to harass yosp more than usual. I know it's out of his hands but dammit I need to take it on someone.

Gravijah

I just want to replay Crono Cross. I want to reevaluate it, and it has to be on a portable. If catalog is going to be plagued by compatibility issues then I'm going to harass yosp more than usual. I know it's out of his hands but dammit I need to take it on someone.

i need to play x, y, z & pi.

too many games to play.

KAL2006

Banned

The games I get from PS1 Classics are games that I have never played before. I would like to play Grandia and FFVIII as I have never played those JRPGs before and nowadays the JRPGs are not as good as the ones in the PS1 heydays. Of course I have played FFVII, IX, Crash Bandicoot and etc, so I haven't bought those games, but I don't see why it isn't a good idea for people to replay those games on a nice OLED thats on handheld if they really like those games. Hell I do feelt empted to replay Crash Bandicoot series as it's ben over a decade since I played those games.

bede-x

A good game is a good game. It doesn't matter when it was released. Just like people still watch old movies or read old books.

zroid

Banned
Despite this being an almost meaningless number, the knowledge still makes me slobber all over myself with glee.

Curse you, Sony

Sounds strange to me that they would hold off PSOne emulation due to licensing of "all" the catalog. Most would be fine with 70% of the catalog available day one with the remaining sprinkled in monthly.

I think it's like if they want to get them all out at once they could just have all the publishers that currently have psone games on psn to agree to modify the licensing terms to include vita. That would avoid legions of people bitching "but why isn't X on vita even though it's on ps3?". Plus it seems way more exciting to have them all release at once, or at least in large quantities. Also keep in mind it's a firmware update so it could possibly just enable them suddenly.

One thing I forgot to mention is expanding psp title compatibility. Did they ever add more titles? Their blog page for the full list of titles doesn't appear to have been updated.

snap0212

If this is the real excuse then they shouldn't have announced PSOne support in the beginning. I mean, PSOne support was announced back when the device was called NGP.

They announced it, didn't talk about it anymore, then it wasn't ready for the launch in Japan, wasn't ready for the US/PAL launch, still isn't ready. It's embarrassing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is me exactly. Started to play the HD collection and decided a replay of the entire series is my best option. Unfortunately, having started Snake Eater, I am impatient to start MGS.

I started playing via remote play. Will I be able to transfer my save game across somehow when its playable natively on vita?

Banned
People replay old games for the same reason we watch old reruns on tv or old dvds of movies (star wars). They are classics and we want to experience them again. They are also great for dealing with software gaps of new games (something the vita is suffering from right now IMO).

My question is this. I have never played FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, and Metal Gear Solid. I have them on my ps3 but want to play them on my vita due to a smaller screen(less pixelation). I want to know if the vita firmware will be like the psp one where I just go to my downloads list on the ps store and redownload the games onto my vita. I don't want to have to wait for each game to get emulated. I want them all day one.

Top Bottom