• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

EmiPrime

I just got mine and it works perfectly. No noticeable input lag with a DS4.

I think I know why you were having issues. The bluetooth receiver in the adapter isn't very strong. I'm surprised they don't have it where it plugs into the USB port for power. If you've got too much 2.4ghz interference it'll cause issues or if you are out of a line of sight with the adapter.

I'll do some more experimenting. Recently I was unable to use it at all for some games as it wasn't being detected as a Dual Shock 2 (just a standard PSX pad) and they would refuse to start despite being fine previously.

There's no way I have too much 2.4GHz interference though as I live in a detached house right now and use ethernet for most of my consoles. I think the Wii U is the only device using 2.4Ghz wifi that's anywhere near my PS2. If it can't work in my use case then it can't for 99% of people.

Maybe I got a dud...

I'll do some more experimenting. Recently I was unable to use it at all for some games as it wasn't being detected as a Dual Shock 2 (just a standard PSX pad) and they would refuse to start despite being fine previously.

There's no way I have too much 2.4GHz interference though as I live in a detached house right now and use ethernet for most of my consoles. I think the Wii U is the only device using 2.4Ghz wifi that's anywhere near my PS2. If it can't work in my use case then it can't for 99% of people.

Maybe I got a dud...
I think you did. Star Wars Battlefront II is one game that doesn't work with PS1 controllers yet I'm using a DS4 with the adapter in the game just fine.

dubc35

Just got all these brand new for collection purpose. About $15 each, pretty cheap due to reprint.

Nice! I grabbed Nocturne for $15 NIB recently. I've only played a bit of it but it seems interesting so far. It was between that and Shadow Hearts Covenant when they both came out. I chose SH...and at some point since sold it/traded it in. :(

EmiPrime

I think you did. Star Wars Battlefront II is one game that doesn't work with PS1 controllers yet I'm using a DS4 with the adapter in the game just fine.

I was using it to play We Love Katamari just fine before. Then I put in Silent Hill 2 a few days after because someone made a thread about it and it wouldn't boot.

anyone here still collecting ?

im still missing a few titles that i wanted for my PAL collection

i'm still grabbing ps2 rpg. (US versions) once i'm done with that, i'm just getting started with JYP titles. i brought phantasy star collection since it has english text. then i'm going to grab some JYP shooters. i still don't have a JYP system though.

I still have a list of ~50 games I'd like to at least try but most are expensive. I'm also rethinking what I want to keep; I like b/c-tier novelty games but I don't know about having so many taking up precious space.
Re: PAL games, I'd like to try Michigan and Gregory Horror Show and there are a couple Simple 2000 games that were localized.
I'm currently looking out for the Taito Legends 1/2 collections at an auction price.

Galdelico

anyone here still collecting ?

im still missing a few titles that i wanted for my PAL collection

I must say, my PS2 wishlist is pretty short, at this point.

That said, it's a system I still keep discovering new, quirky titles I've never heard about, so it's very hard to say I'm done with it. In fact, some of my latest 'random' pick-ups' are PlayStation2 titles (PAL WRC: Rally Evolved and NTSC-J Urban Reign).

Palom

Does anyone know if its possible to fit Dual Shock 2 internals inside of a Dual Shock 4?

If you're looking to use a Dual Shock 4 on a PS2 and have your system modded with Free McBoot, recent versions of Open PS2 Loader have the ability to play games with a Dual Shock 3 or 4. I'm using a Bluetooth adapter with a Dual Shock 3 to play wirelessly, and just played over a USB cable before that. Haven't tried with a Dual Shock 4, personally, but it's supposed to work just the same.

_Ryo_

If you're looking to use a Dual Shock 4 on a PS2 and have your system modded with Free McBoot, recent versions of Open PS2 Loader have the ability to play games with a Dual Shock 3 or 4. I'm using a Bluetooth adapter with a Dual Shock 3 to play wirelessly, and just played over a USB cable before that. Haven't tried with a Dual Shock 4, personally, but it's supposed to work just the same.

Thought I read that the DS4 wouldn't work in game with that. Only during the homebrew stuff. Do you hook up the Bluetooth adapter to the PS2 usb port? Also unfortunately I don't have a modded PS2 right now, nor a network adapter.

Palom

Thought I read that the DS4 wouldn't work in game with that. Only during the homebrew stuff. Do you hook up the Bluetooth adapter to the PS2 usb port? Also unfortunately I don't have a modded PS2 right now, nor a network adapter.
Ahh, looks like you're right. I just double checked, and the options only allow you to pick Dual Shock 3 for games. Sorry about that.

jsnepo

Wow! It's been years since I did some OPL tinkering. Never knew the new versions have this now. I wonder though if you can connect a wired Xbox 360 controller to it and work.

Ugh I'm at the point where I'm tired of having to switch between two ps2s. Anyone have a slim region free ps2 they'd like to part with (sell or trade for my JP slim lol) by any chance? I know this isn't the market thread but I would think this would be the place to start with y'all :).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Almost done with my 100+ game collection, would technically be done already but my original KH1 copy started messing up :( gotta buy another copy...

then all i need to do is part with some redundancies(vanilla GGX Accent core, vanilla Persona 3, Vanilla DMC3 ect)

Bulk_Rate

Fired up my unit originally purchased a short while before GT3 came out. Connected to a craigslist Trinitron 20" I just picked up. Good shit! On the 20" CRT everything still looks just fine. Baldur's Gate, etc. and SF Alpha 2 really pop! My son even noticed how good everything looked. Then I threw on the 2004 holiday demo disc with Battlefront !

This PS2 is still running great - had to adjust the laser once years ago but that was it. Need a new DS2 however. Are any of the knockoffs worth a shit?

Now to find a place to permanently connect this thing and score a used copy of Xmen legends to play with the boy.

GOAT

warheat

Just started game collecting recently, got myself some PS and PS2 games.

Qsj4i2O.jpg

Fired up my unit originally purchased a short while before GT3 came out. Connected to a craigslist Trinitron 20" I just picked up. Good shit! On the 20" CRT everything still looks just fine. Baldur's Gate, etc. and SF Alpha 2 really pop! My son even noticed how good everything looked. Then I threw on the 2004 holiday demo disc with Battlefront !

This PS2 is still running great - had to adjust the laser once years ago but that was it. Need a new DS2 however. Are any of the knockoffs worth a shit?

Now to find a place to permanently connect this thing and score a used copy of Xmen legends to play with the boy.

GOAT

i picked up a logitech wireless ps2 controller recently. been awesome, as i love that it runs off AA batteries and my little one cant drag the system around by the controller cord. hardly any lag i could tell, and i didnt have direct line of sight issues.

Dwayne

Some recent pickups from a trip to Japan :) Found everything I was looking for, except for a well priced Outrun 2SP. Maybe next time.
Finding the last volume of the Taito Memories collection was super awesome, my set all have the extra books which aren't that common to find, was really lucky to find this in pretty much the last game store I visited in the trip.

And a handful of games I've picked up while travelling around Europe so far. Find it super interesting looking through the games here, as the rarity of titles is quite different than New Zealand. Hopefully can find some more goodies while i'm over here.

Top Bottom