• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

test_account

XP-39C²
Bollox, an ISO is literally a disc image, if an iso works a disc works too.
He just asked a question, nothing bollox about it. It wasnt a statement. I just answered to another to point out what the question was about.

Yeah, discs will probably work as well. The difference is that you need disc drive support, and make sure that the emulator knows how to read from the disc instead of from one mounted ISO file.

Right. But look:

God of War 2-Major Issues-Huge slowdown when special FX are onscreen.

But then there's:

Gran Turismo 4-Minor Issues-screen jumps at car selection screen
1 or 2 minor (random) stutters on certain tracks during gameplay
random slowdown during replays when the car is close to the camera.

and

Killzone-Playable-None.

These games make use of heavy alpha blending. But it's very case by case. This emulator probably has a 50% compatibity ratio.

How long were any of those games even played? Was every track, every weather condition and every car tested in Gran Turismo? Did someone play the entire Killzone campaign, or did they run through the first 15 minutes an not notice anything serious? In any case, a 50% compatibility rate is still atrocious and not suitable for general release. And that's why all the outrage and venom being expressed towards Sony over this in this thread is so absurd and unwarranted. The OP and thread title should both be changed to reflect the actual state of the emulator.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
How long were any of those games even played? Was every track, every weather condition and every car tested in Gran Turismo? Did someone play the entire Killzone campaign, or did they run through the first 15 minutes an not notice anything serious? In any case, a 50% compatibility rate is still atrocious and not suitable for general release. And that's why all the outrage and venom being expressed towards Sony over this in this thread is so absurd and unwarranted. The OP and thread title should both be changed to reflect the actual state of the emulator.

A software based emulator released to the public years ago would have the benefit of continual development.

If they had half a brain they would have bundled it in with Playstation Plus, explaining very clearly that part of the subscription revenue would fund further development, and maybe that service wouldn't have been a joke for it's first two years.

I say we leave the damn thread the way it is. If you can play the game, even with bugs, it remains accurate.

GrayFoxPL

It isn't. Have you looked at the compatibility list today? http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

Half the unsupported games tested so far have either minor, or major problems, often involving performance issues, which is just like knowledgeable people have always expected. The problem isn't just emulating the hardware, it is doing so reliably and fast enough for game performance to not be impacted.

Do you read posts? I was saying the software emulator compatibility is probably the same as PAL PS3 bc. The compatibility list is the same as it always was since Sony stopped updating emulation software. Games labeled as official classic I played and finished in PS3 bc long before they landed on the store. I tested shitload of PS2 games and know what games can and can't be released because those that end up "official classic" already worked on pal ps3 bc long ago.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Do you read posts? I was saying the software emulator compatibility is probably the same as PAL PS3 bc. The compatibility list is the same as it always was since Sony stopped updating emulation software. Games labeled as official classic I played and finished in PS3 bc long before they landed on the store. I tested shitload of PS2 games and know what games can and can't be released because those that end up "official classic" already worked on pal ps3 bc long ago.

That's funny. So they never even bothered continuing development of the emulator to enable PS2 Classics, they just accepted the title limits on what they could release?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I had to go through some boxes for old ps2 games. Tried def jam vendetta. Worked fine. Will I rip the rest of my games? Probably not, ps2 looks like shit without running it on a pc emu.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Do you read posts? I was saying the software emulator compatibility is probably the same as PAL PS3 bc.

No reason to assume that at all, the PAL launch PS3 actually did have one of the two PS2 chips in it, the Graphics Synthesizer. Once that was cut out, PS2 compatibility was gone.

This PSN PS2 Classic emulator really is a new thing being all-software.. totally different compatibility.

Veezy

que?
That's funny. So they never even bothered continuing development of the emulator to enable PS2 Classics, they just accepted the title limits on what they could release?

Sounds probable, although it wouldn't really matter. My guess is their logic was:

A. Our emulator is not 100% and we're not willing to devote resources to work on it anymore.
B. Remove use of the emulator since we're not going to advertise it anymore as we're not going to use any resources to work it. Tell people to go buy a PS2, which will make us money and we know they can play their games on, if they ain't happy and remove mention of it from the menu. Don't spend any more amount of money than required.
C. Sell, individually, PS2 games that we can get to work, digitally, and we can get the rights to resell. Bundle each game with a generic PS2 to PS3 emulator that we used in the past.
D. Literally, profit.

In this case, it doesn't seem incredibly dickish, just minorly dickish. So, still dickish, but it's not like their doing extra work to fuck people over, just the bare minimum. Which, hopefully, calms some emotions. They're not actively fucking anybody over, just, well, taking advantage of a situation.

Still being a company, but they're not EA or anything.

GrayFoxPL

Yes. They only released games already 100% compatible years ago. I can already say they won't release Digital Devil Saga 1, due to broken emulation, but DDS2 works. Also PS1 Medievil 2 has bad emulation so wont be out, even when it's often requested.

And like I said many, many pages ago, we already knew an emulator existed but wasn't released due to compatiblity issues. We knew this years ago. In like 2008.

All this hack does is confirm that hasn't changed.

People jump to conclusions as usual.

Imbarkus

And like I said many, many pages ago, we already knew an emulator existed but wasn't released due to compatiblity issues. We knew this years ago. In like 2008.

All this hack does is confirm that hasn't changed.

People jump to conclusions as usual.

I bought a whole PS3 console with the emulator advertised, even though it still had compatibility issues, as did all those folks from the EU.

What hasn't changed is the fact that hackers and homebrewers have access to a built-in emulator, capable of reading games off PS2 disks, that I don't have access to.

And as a result of this, anyone who bought a PS2 Classic version of a game they already had on disk so they could play it on their PS3 got ripped off.

Because everything they bought, they already had.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is worse consumer deceipt than anything EA has pulled recently.

So I'm keeping this one in the column of "unforgivable bullshit," personally.

Veezy

que?
I bought a whole PS3 console with the emulator advertised, even though it still had compatibility issues, as did all those folks from the EU.

What hasn't changed is the fact that hackers and homebrewers have access to a built-in emulator, capable of reading games off PS2 disks, that I don't have access to.

And as a result of this, anyone who bought a PS2 Classic version of a game they already had on disk so they could play it on their PS3 got ripped off.

Because everything they bought, they already had.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is worse consumer deceipt than anything EA has pulled recently.

So I'm keeping this one in the column of "unforgivable bullshit," personally.

Let's not be too hasty here.

Charging you X amount of dollars for the ability to play X game on a console is dodgy, but it's still not disallowing you access to an advertised feature. Sony was very clear about what consoles would not be able to play their games. I knew something was odd as the 80gig PS3 has software BC, but them discontinuing a feature and not advertising isn't lying.

Sony guaranteeing compatibility and then charging for access sucks for people who have a slim or super ugly slim PS3, but they didn't even know going into the relationship if they'd have ANY ability to play ANY PS2 game on the console. Yes, it's bullshit to charge for something it turns out the system could but Sony didn't sell the console on the pretense of being able to play PS2 games on it. Actually, they sold the console on the pretense of NOT being able to play the games and encouraging people to buy a PS2 instead.

We've already went back and fourth on this, so we'll have to agree to disagree. However, saying this is in the same category as SimCity, the shutting down of online game servers that are for peer to peer games with no warning on those products, the previous on titles that have online passes people paid for after the fact, etc. is not as bad as this. I think there's a distinction between the capability of a console and what a console advertises. Going outside those bounds is great, but if you bought a console and it does what is advertised, then the company fulfilled its end of the bargain.

Although, at this point, we should probably just make out and get it over with. The sexual tension is thick enough to cut with a knife. I'll bring the wine if you cook.

Wait til next gen. Sony's gonna make you pay for everything and stream it even though PS4 is powerful enough to emulate everything on PS1/2/P/Vita perfectly.

Imbarkus

Let's not be too hasty here.

Charging you X amount of dollars for the ability to play X game on a console is dodgy, but it's still not disallowing you access to an advertised feature. Sony was very clear about what consoles would not be able to play their games. I knew something was odd as the 80gig PS3 has software BC, but them discontinuing a feature and not advertising isn't lying.

Sony guaranteeing compatibility and then charging for access sucks for people who have a slim or super ugly slim PS3, but they didn't even know going into the relationship if they'd have ANY ability to play ANY PS2 game on the console. Yes, it's bullshit to charge for something it turns out the system could but Sony didn't sell the console on the pretense of being able to play PS2 games on it. Actually, they sold the console on the pretense of NOT being able to play the games and encouraging people to buy a PS2 instead.

It's not dishonest to sell a Slim or Super Slim PS3 with a vestigial emulator therein, 'tis true. Like you said, no advertised BC, no BC expected.

I'm railing against the dishonestly in selling a PS2 Classic, pretending it's the only way for you to play said game on PS3, even if you're selling it to someone who already has the disk.

I can't even think of an EA/Simcity analogy for this.

Okay, here goes:

Simcity 4 won't play in Windows 7. Ea develops a patch that let's you play SimCity 4 in Windows 7. But they don't release the patch publicly. Instead, they let you buy SimCity 4 for $10 over Origin only, and only through this method will the Windows 7 compatibility patch be applied. If you have SimCity 4 on disk, you are welcome to buy it again, and essentially pay $10 for a compatibility patch.

Savvy?

Although, at this point, we should probably just make out and get it over with. The sexual tension is thick enough to cut with a knife. I'll bring the wine if you cook.

You might end up on the couch, mister. ;)

Wait til next gen. Sony's gonna make you pay for everything and stream it even though PS4 is powerful enough to emulate everything on PS1/2/P/Vita perfectly.

Oh no, my fears!

Like I said, I would have also accepted PS2 compatibility as part of Playstation Plus, because I understand that developing an emulator isn't free.

I guess we'll see...

Minions

I like that they are doing gaikai. I keep my consoles, and I like the option of playing ps2/3/4? games on my vita.

They decided to spend their money taking a route that has the ability to make them more money. You can hardly fault them for that. Adding physical BC only (potentially) helps them sell more hardware. This is hardware they are likely already going to be taking a loss (subsidizing).

Of course I read posts. Do you? Because I keep trying to correct your persistent misconception that the compatibility rate of your PS3 which features a hardware GPU from the PS2 will be identical to the pure software emulation being used for the PS2 Classics sold on PSN. The compatibility rate will be very different and the games that work in pure software will be a subset of those that worked with your PAL PS3's partial hardware solution. Of course you were able to play some of the Official PS2 Classics, you bought a system advertised as backwards compatible with the majority of the PS2 library using hardware. That doesn't prove anything about anything in this discussion.

Well I'll keep my cfw since It's the only way my PAL PS3 gets to read my imported library of discs (ps1/2/DVD/BD) , tyvm.

I mean I can play imported PSN psone classics but not my discs? What's up with that. Hypothetical PS2 PS+ emu would be the same anyways.

When you pay for a psone classics game you own as a disc, do you actually rebuy the game or do you pay for the right to rent a solution to emulate a game on ps3/PSP/vita until Sony decides to stop supporting those systems?
I'm inclined to think the later but I might be wrong.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well at least this got me to be able to play my old Def Jam FFNY game again, and fuck yeah that game is still amazing~!!!

Dereck

I don't understand how to get more than one PS2 game to show on my PS3, right now I'm just using /dev_hdd0/game/PS2U10000/USRDIR/ISO.BIN.ENC

EDIT: oooooo, I think understand how this program works now

EDIT: These PS2 games look wonderful brah

Top Bottom