• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Euro launch rumors (Nov 17 launch, 599 version only, no shelves sale till 2007)

Superfrog

This was posted by a user named "CWM" in the German MAN!AC (multiformat print mag) forums. He recently was at a local Media Markt store (a large German retail store chain, comparable to Best Buy in the States) to buy a DS Lite and coincidentally listened to a conversation when a floor manager informed his staff members on recent news regarding the German (European?) PS3 launch. He heard the following:

- launch day on November 17
- ONLY the €599 version will be released "for the time being"
- PREORDERS ONLY will be supplied for the rest of the year, there won't be A SINGLE CONSOLE freely available on shelves until 2007 (at the earliest)
- preorders will be coordinated with Sony, everyone who preorders will be registered by Sony
- preorders start at the beginning of next week

Original link (for all of you who understand German):

http://www.maniac-forum.de/forum/pxmboard.php?mode=message&brdid=1&msgid=1267272

This guy is a reliable source, I don't think that he posts bullshit. I don't know if all this applies to Germany only or to Europe as a whole. But since Germany is Playstation country, I could imagine a similar situation even for the UK. Let the Sony hype train roll. Discuss.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Superfrog said:
preorders will be coordinated with Sony, everyone who preorders will be registered by Sony

That's actually a really good idea.

But no french riots :(

Y2Kevbug11 said:
That's actually a really good idea.

But no french riots :(

Yeah, GREAT idea. My Worldwide BodyCount prediction is now completely boned. Good going Sony.

(Frickin' pick NOW to start making smart moves...grumble grumble...go down there and kill some people myself...grumble grumble....think they can make this an orderly damned process when I've got money riding on it...grumble grumble...)

Superfrog said:
Well, there's still the US... :D

That really only accounts for 60% of my projections, unfortunately. I'd show you my graphs and charts but I'm using an old Basic program I built myself and can't figure out how to export it. I'm keeping around an old Performa just to run the damn thing!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BenjaminBirdie said:
That really only accounts for 60% of my projections, unfortunately. I'd show you my graphs and charts but I'm using an old Basic program I built myself and can't figure out how to export it. I'm keeping around an old Performa just to run the damn thing!

Your avatar really fits you :lol

Zeed

Banned
Superfrog said:
He recently was at a local Media Markt store (a large German retail store chain, comparable to Best Buy in the States) to buy a DS Lite and coincidentally listened to a conversation when a floor manager informed his staff members on recent news regarding the German (European?) PS3 launch. He heard the following:
Yeah, I don't think that's the most reliable scource.

Rhindle

I wonder what the rationale for apparently not relasing the Gimp Pack in Europe is. If anything, Europe is the market with the lowest HDTV and HDMI penetration and could have the greatest resistance to the higher priced pack.

Rhindle said:
I wonder what the rationale for apparently not relasing the Gimp Pack in Europe is. If anything, Europe is the market with the lowest HDTV and HDMI penetration and could have the greatest resistance to the higher priced pack.

In Britain I'm pretty sure all HDTVs sold have HDMI ports, we're not bloody yokels.

Mrbob

Rhindle said:

The losses taken in the USA are countered by the profits made in Europe. Sony probably trying to walk a tightrope balancing act lose as little money as possible at launch.

Danj

Europe has a standard for HDTVs called "HD Ready", and this standard mandates the presence of HDMI or DVI with HDCP.

Zyid said:

Allocation has not been set yet, and very few are doing preorders, so any site that claims that they'll be sold out through the end of the year is speculating, although it's likely, no actual numbers are floating out there yet either for day 1 shipments other than the global 2M number Sony threw out, and preorder volume is unknown.

sonycowboy said:
Allocation has not been set yet, and very few are doing preorders, so any site that claims that they'll be sold out through the end of the year is speculating, although it's likely, no actual numbers are floating out there yet either for day 1 shipments other than the global 2M number Sony threw out, and preorder volume is unknown.

They're not actually claiming to be "Sold Out", they're outlining a very cogent plan on Sony's behalf to distribute consoles until the end of the year.

Striek

I don't see them selling out in Europe this year actually. Not if they ship 1-1.5M anyway. Not having them on shelves wont make sense if they don't sell out.

Superfrog

BenjaminBirdie said:

I fear that my English lingo knowledge is not good enough to give you an appropriate answer on that. But go ahead with your inquiries and let us know the results. ;)

Zyid said:

That's why it's called rumors. We'll see.

WalkMan

Banned
Ok how many do you predict dead because of the PS3 launch? X360 launch was like 5 dead or something?

I'll say, 65 people dead.

WalkMan said:
Ok how many do you predict dead because of the PS3 launch? X360 launch was like 5 dead or something?

I'll say, 65 people dead.

Was there really 5? Was it Freeze Related? Shootings? I'd really need to feed this stuff into my algorhythms.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

Just...I don't why, but that was great.

It just gets to me, it seems to crop up every time, like "I don't know why they are releasing the PS3 in Europe, I heard a high percentage of Europeans don't have apposable thumbs" "yeah Sony's so arrogant, but them dumb Europeans will still buy it."

travisbickle said:
It just gets to me, it seems to crop up every time, like "I don't know why they are releasing the PS3 in Europe, I heard a high percentage of Europeans don't have apposable thumbs" "yeah Sony's so arrogant, but them dumb Europeans will still buy it."

I hear you man.

For the record, I visited London in like 1997 and cell phones and widescreen TVs were EVERYWHERE, way before I saw them with any prevelance in the US.

So suck on THAT, ethnocentrism!

Rhindle

travisbickle said:
In Britain I'm pretty sure all HDTVs sold have HDMI ports, we're not bloody yokels.
Yes, but hardly anyone has an HDTV. Adoption is absolutely dismal, and it isn't much better elsewhere in Europe.

On a more positive note, you're now up to like 5 channels on your TVs now, congratulations.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rhindle said:
Yes, but hardly anyone has an HDTV. Adoption is absolutely dismal, and it isn't much better elsewhere in Europe.

On a more positive note, you're now up to like 5 channels on your TVs now, congratulations.

you got numbers? Pretty much most major electronics retailers moved heavily into HDTV sets this year. Moved the CRTs out of the way. Even little 23" sets are HD ready with HDMI inputs.

Penetration will grow rapidly simply due to normal replacement cycles. Almost by default, any TV replaced will be HD ready.

pulsemyne said:
There are about 30+ channels on free to air digital TV and well over 200 channels with sky.

and 10 HD channels on SkyHD. Enjoying the world cup and Wimbledon in HD, with the Ryder cup to come.

Wink

Wait... Media Markt cares about gaming? Over 4 months before launch? Probably being threatened by Sony.

Uncle

Hasn't the €599 Version Only rumor been around for awhile now? I remember reading the same thing for UK and Finland (both were retail sources IIRC) ages ago.

Gc-Freak

Banned
Superfrog said:
This was posted by a user named "CWM" in the German MAN!AC (multiformat print mag) forums. He recently was at a local Media Markt store (a large German retail store chain, comparable to Best Buy in the States) to buy a DS Lite and coincidentally listened to a conversation when a floor manager informed his staff members on recent news regarding the German (European?) PS3 launch. He heard the following:

- launch day on November 17
- ONLY the €599 version will be released "for the time being"
- PREORDERS ONLY will be supplied for the rest of the year, there won't be A SINGLE CONSOLE freely available on shelves until 2007 (at the earliest)
- preorders will be coordinated with Sony, everyone who preorders will be registered by Sony
- preorders start at the beginning of next week

Original link (for all of you who understand German):

http://www.maniac-forum.de/forum/pxmboard.php?mode=message&brdid=1&msgid=1267272

This guy is a reliable source, I don't think that he posts bullshit. I don't know if all this applies to Germany only or to Europe as a whole. But since Germany is Playstation country, I could imagine a similar situation even for the UK. Let the Sony hype train roll. Discuss.

I can confirm this. Got the same information

teiresias

It will be interesting to see how this affects the ebayers, at least the UK ones, anyway. On the one hand, coordinating the preorders with Sony may keep people from getting there hands on multiple consoles at a time. On the other, if people are impatient waiting for their name to rise to the top of the pre-order queue the asking price may grow so high that people with only one console will be willing to give them up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
almokla said:
Did they start producing the console yet?

Some component manufacturing may have begun, but I wouldn't expect final assembly to begin until Fall.

I wonder if official preorders will be taken across Europe from next week, or if this is just in Germany.

JCX

Wouldn't believing to these rumours be the same as believing rumors you heard from some EB games employees?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
I'm in the Netherlands and except for my fellow X-Friends nobody as an HDTV. There are no HDTV channels (they're starting to come) and there's no other reason besides the X360 to get a HDTV at the moment. It's starting to come but not selling the 499€ version is going to upset some people. My dad was smart enough to buy an HDTV without HDMI and I don't have HDTV myself so it's Tard Pack or No Pack for me.

ram

JCX9 said:
Wouldn't believing to these rumours be the same as believing rumors you heard from some EB games employees?

agree, even it is realistic, that you should preorder your ps3, when you plan to get one at launch.

Top Bottom