• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firware update (2.10) coming tomorrow - Blu-Ray 1.1 support! Divx! splooooge

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
- DivX y VC-1 WMV (WOOOOOT) are now compatible. *
- The system is now compatible with the Profile 1.1 Blu-ray Disc. **

These are going to make alot of people very happy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TTP said:
Please elaborate on the implications of this :)
Well, supporting one single HD format instead of two would be nice. MP4 only is not an option since it doesn't work out of the box on a PC, so...

skybaby

It's a pity every HD file out there is in a fucking MKV container. The rat race will never end :(
And no, demuxing and muxing back is a CHORE, sometimes different audio and video sources don't mux into the same container, IT DRIVES ME INSANE ARRRRRGH.

NekoFever

itsgreen said:
Voice changer lol. That worked out great with XBL. This must do miracles for the already limped talking community on the PS3.
You didn't like being moaned at by someone who sounds like an incomprehensible robot? The fact that they dropped the feature almost stopped me from buying a 360 in protest... (lol)

Why is this update so much better than 2.0, though? So much for the big number theory.

Rabid Wolverine said:
So would it be possible for the HD-DVD rips floating around to be viewable on the PS3?

That would be epic :lol
the 360 can already play Blu-Ray rips as far as i understand. nothing epic about it either way.

avaya

Rabid Wolverine said:
So would it be possible for the HD-DVD rips floating around to be viewable on the PS3?

That would be epic :lol

Yes. If there isn't a container issue. Which there will be.

Danj

skybaby said:
It's a pity every HD file out there is in a fucking MKV container. The rat race will never end :(
And no, demuxing and muxing back is a CHORE, sometimes different audio and video sources don't mux into the same container, IT DRIVES ME INSANE ARRRRRGH.

You could try this app which is supposed to make remuxing from mkv to mp4 a lot easier.

theBishop

Banned
Blimblim said:
Well, supporting one single HD format instead of two would be nice. MP4 only is not an option since it doesn't work out of the box on a PC, so...

works out of the box on my PC.

protip: stop running windows :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Danj said:
You could try this app which is supposed to make remuxing from mkv to mp4 a lot easier.
Subtitles won't work though.
theBishop said:
works out of the box on my PC.

protip: stop running windows :)
Protip: I use Linux at home, but 95% of the regular people out there use Windows.
Protip: Don't patronize me.

Danj

Blimblim said:
Subtitles won't work though.

That's true, but I don't think there is any home entertainment device, portable or TV-tethered, that supports soft subtitles that are not in a DVD MPEG-2 container.

itsgreen

NekoFever said:
You didn't like being moaned at by someone who sounds like an incomprehensible robot? The fact that they dropped the feature almost stopped me from buying a 360 in protest... (lol)

Why is this update so much better than 2.0, though? So much for the big number theory.

When xbox live turned 5, major nelson did some podcasts with the team behind xbox live. I believe that the general feeling was 'voice masking was the worst mistake we have made with live. ever.'

NekoFever said:

SONY already stated that we can't go by the 'big number theory'. Their 1.8 version had quite a few new additions.

kbear

So can I play all Xvid .avi files on my PS3? I can put them on my pro duo and transfer to the PS3 and they'll work just like that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
skybaby said:

yeah, I wish sony would get with the program and give us stuff to more easily play pirated movies in HD :/

seriously though, that is unlikely to happen. They have to have some barriers in place. Not like you need to transcode them. Just gotsent them.

If its that much of a deal, just download the mpeg2 versions - PS3 plays those just fine.

theBishop

Banned
BruceWayneIII said:
SONY already stated that we can't go by the 'big number theory'. Their 1.8 version had quite a few new additions.

yeah, it seems like .1 updates are add whatever new features are tested and available at the time, while .01 updates are specific security/stability fixes.

has there been a semi-regular schedule for .1 updates, like monthly or something?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Crisis said:
I wonder what all they'll stealth-add.

Same here. That's always what I'm interested more. Video streaming was a very nice stealth addition with 2.00 :lol

I wonder if Sony will ever lift the 50 ppl cap on the friends list. And if so offer an official statement about it.

NekoFever

itsgreen said:
When xbox live turned 5, major nelson did some podcasts with the team behind xbox live. I believe that the general feeling was 'voice masking was the worst mistake we have made with live. ever.'
Ha, I might have to look that episode up. I stopped listening to his show a while ago.

It was really bad. They were touting it as this brilliant feature back when the Xbox launched and yet it was annoying and made voices completely unintelligible. I'd assume the PS3 one will be the same - either subtle and therefore pointless or ludicrous and therefore a magnet for griefers.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
itsgreen said:
In this case though, it's just a simple pitch modulator, not a series of cartoonish voice masks.

Slavik81

TTP said:
Same here. That's always what I'm interested more. Video streaming was a very nice stealth addition with 2.00 :lol
Except you still can't select background downloading as quick as you used to. 2.01 seemed to improve it, but you still have to wait for the play button to appear before you can select the background downloading.
Admittedly, that's only like a quarter or a half a second at most, but it still bugs me.

Crisis

Banned
WingM@n said:
Any chance for using subtitles with DIVX movies ?

Almost none unfortunately.

TTP said:
Same here. That's always what I'm interested more. Video streaming was a very nice stealth addition with 2.00

I wonder if Sony will ever lift the 50 ppl cap on the friends list. And if so offer an official statement about it.

You have to admit that it is kind of fun to run around the XMB looking for what all got changed. :lol

NekoFever said:
Ha, I might have to look that episode up. I stopped listening to his show a while ago.

It was really bad. They were touting it as this brilliant feature back when the Xbox launched and yet it was annoying and made voices completely unintelligible. I'd assume the PS3 one will be the same - either subtle and therefore pointless or ludicrous and therefore a magnet for griefers.

I'm more confident in Sony's sound engineers, to be honest.

Tntnnbltn

Slavik81 said:
Except you still can't select background downloading as quick as you used to. 2.01 seemed to improve it, but you still have to wait for the play button to appear before you can select the background downloading.
Admittedly, that's only like a quarter or a half a second at most, but it still bugs me.
It's worse on a slow connection. You have to wait 5-10 seconds for the play button to appear.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Slavik81 said:

I actually never used that button. I use to go the download management section, hit triangle on the video being downloaded, and hit play there.

Edit: ah you are talking about bg downloading. Hmm... odd. It appears immediately to me. BEFORE the play button on top of it.

Tntnnbltn

TTP said:
I actually never used that button. I use to go the download management section, hit triangle on the video being downloaded, and hit play there.
Even if you don't want to play the video, you can't actually select 'Perform in background' until the Play button pops up. And for the Play button to appear it has to have loaded a certain amount of the file.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tntnnbltn said:
Even if you don't want to play the video, you can't actually select 'Perform in background' until the Play button pops up. And for the Play button to appear it has to have loaded a certain amount of the file.

Not to me, oddly. Edited my prev post. Maybe is due to faster dl speed.

Cool, but when will we ever get in game XMB? Is it even going to happen, is it possible? :S

I'm sure I heard on 1UP yours that the Home and LBP betas were rumored for Christmas day but it didn't sound that likely.

In game XMB is the only feature I want on the PS3 apart from a little more customization of separating demos and games on the games list. Also being able to change PSN ID for something like a couple of quid wouldn't go wrong (but I'm probably the only one that would want this).

Nice update though and it wasn't too long after the Fall dashboard update.

theBishop

Banned
Paranoid_Robot said:
Cool, but when will we ever get in game XMB? Is it even going to happen, is it possible? :S

I'm sure I heard on 1UP yours that the Home and LBP betas were rumored for Christmas day but it didn't sound that likely.

In game XMB is the only feature I want on the PS3 apart from a little more customization of separating demos and games on the games list. Also being able to change PSN ID for something like a couple of quid wouldn't go wrong (but I'm probably the only one that would want this).

Eric Lempel has been an increasingly public face for the Playstation Network. He's said in multiple places that Sony is "looking at it" and "Sony hears you", and "we're working on it", etc with regard to in-game XMB/messaging.

It seems pretty clear that the feature is on the way. Whether it comes in the next update, or a distant update, or alongside Home, or whatever is the question. It is definitely coming.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
theBishop said:
It seems pretty clear that the feature is on the way. Whether it comes in the next update, or a distant update, or alongside Home, or whatever is the question. It is definitely coming.

Better be, Jesus Christ. Hopefully they're only holding it back to make it part of a huge rollout of stuff like Home, in-game invites, etc. We'll see I suppose.

Crisis

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
WMV?!
That means I won't have to wait as Nero converts my WMV to mp4?!

Amazing.
Now get avi support there and I'll be happy(er)

It looks like it said WMV VC-1. That's not wmv per se. VC-1 is an HD codec. We'll see if you can just put whatever .wmv file on the PS3.

SRG01

PS. In the wake of this announcement, which UPnP NAS do you guys recommend? I saw some LaCie ones, but then I'd have to pay the "LaCie tax" on it. :lol

bryehn

ouch, no files larger than 2GB, and no universal custom soundtrack option.

C'Mon Sony, we know you can do it. High Velocity Bowling is sweet, but we seriously want custom soundtracks on everything.

androvsky

Paranoid_Robot said:

It's a bit of a pain, but you can (oddly enough) edit the album information for games now, essentially allowing you to create whatever folders you want. I now have a PS1 folder, a PSN folder, and an Unknown folder, since I don't feel like tagging all my demos.

And last interview with Jack Tretton said they were shooting for a Q1 2008 for the Home beta. Argh.

Top Bottom