• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

MikeB

Banned
I added a Resistance 2 comment to the original post (because IMO it's really interesting):

"Propriety game systems are now being heavily farmed out to the PS3's SPUs, keeping the central PPU as a sort of traffic cop that organizes what gets attention at any given moment. In simple terms, the game is taking much better advantage of the untapped potential of the console. In regard to visuals, the expanded use of the SPUs means more enemies on screen, significantly more complex AI from all of those foes and dramatically expanded options for special effects."

Source: Game Informer

Just as mind boggling it was for me, the slow pace some devs started to tap into the SPEs, it's just as mind boggling for me how quickly Insomniac has been able to with regard to adapting the PS2 originated legacy engine! (They seem to have almost everything ported over to the SPEs already!)

I recommend to get Game Informer and look at the huge spaceship hoverig over the golden gate bridge, all confirmed to be geometry, realtime calculated (procedural synthesis) sky animation, etc. This game seems to be quite a showcase for the PS3! :D

MikeB

Banned
Zen said:
THere's no way they're going to match all the tech and performance going on in Killzone 2.

MikeB said:
I think Resistance 2's engine could end up being more advanced

Although both Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 are my most anticipated games, with all the latest information I am strenghtened in my believes Resistance 2 will have some very significant technological advantages over Killzone 2. I think both games will end up being very impressive putting the PS3 in a spot of being the best and most interesting product for FPS fans.

MikeB

Banned
CowGirl said:
This thread is such bullshit

I am sorry you feel that way, it was my intention to counter much of the misinformation and FUD being spread around against the PS3. I am open towards suggestions and have since the beginning of this thread asked for input from NeoGAF members to try to enhance the original post where possible.

Could you be a little more specific with regard to which games you are referring to exactly and provide examples? IMO many games have seen huge advancements already, this mostly due to more extensive use of the Cell's SPEs. How would you explain these advancements then, why do you think there's such a huge gap between more demanding games like Unreal Tournament 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and how they are performing compared to far less demanding games which are performing (much) worse?

Kittonwy

Banned
MikeB said:
I added a Resistance 2 comment to the original post (because IMO it's really interesting):

"Propriety game systems are now being heavily farmed out to the PS3's SPUs, keeping the central PPU as a sort of traffic cop that organizes what gets attention at any given moment. In simple terms, the game is taking much better advantage of the untapped potential of the console. In regard to visuals, the expanded use of the SPUs means more enemies on screen, significantly more complex AI from all of those foes and dramatically expanded options for special effects."

Source: Game Informer

Just as mind boggling it was for me, the slow pace some devs started to tap into the SPEs, it's just as mind boggling for me how quickly Insomniac has been with regard to adapting the PS2 originated legacy engine! (They seem to have almost everything ported to the SPEs already!)
I recommend to get game informer and look at the huge spaceship hoverig over the golden gate bridge, all confirmed to be geometry, realtime calculated (procedural synthesis) sky animation, etc. This game seems to be quite a showcase for the PS3! :D

They have MIKE ACTION on their side, dat's why.
Indifferent2.gif

MikeB

Banned
Kittonwy said:
They have MIKE ACTION on their side, dat's why.
Indifferent2.gif

Yes, he's surely an interesting fellow.

Mike Action (Beond3D, June 2007):

"I think the main take away is that you can just "hide" the main issues with extracting performance out of Cell by using some clever library like SPURS, or using some new fancy programming language, or by sprinkling pixie dust over your code. These no way out of getting your programmers to really understand the issues. And the best solution at this point seems to be "better programmers" rather than "better tools". So they have been focusing on a training program and knowledge sharing to improve their programing team.

I don't think it's ever been about "better tools", regardless of what anyone wants to believe. The problem comes in when people forget that tools are there to help us to our job better or faster, not to do the job for us. Our team is responsible for the product that gets in the hands of the players - we're never, ever going to tell them that we couldn't do something "because the tools wouldn't allow it." or because "it was too hard." Those are the poorest of excuses."

MikeB

Banned
At upcoming GDC:

Insomniac's SPU Programming Practices
Speaker: Mike Acton (Engine Director, Insomniac Games)
Date/Time: TBD
Track: Programming
Experience Level: Advanced

Session Description
Insomniac is now on its third generation PlayStation 3 game and technology. Mike Acton, engine director, and Eric Christensen, principal engine programmer, will describe in detail the state of Insomniac's proprietary engine from RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN and RATCHET AND CLANK FUTURE: TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION to our current project. This talk will describe the steps taken to understand the SPU, fit more code and data on the SPU, and the steady progression toward a state where the SPUs dominate our game update. Developing an engine from the ground up on any platform is a difficult task. This talk will cover what went wrong, what went right, and what steps are being taken to continue in a direction that we keep Insomniac on the competitive edge and prepare the studio for future platforms. This presentation will include concrete examples of some of key systems and how they've been improved over time. Step by step code examples will be used to answer common questions related to SPU programming methods, including Insomniac's techniques for breaking the 256k barrier. Details on Insomniac's use of "SPU Shaders" and the benefits of that system will also be covered.

MikeB

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Did you happen to hear the latest Criterion Games podcast, Crash FM? Some pretty interesting views on multi-platform development.

Their most interesting points IMO:

The average disc speed they said is comparable between the 360 and PS3, advantage to BluRay for constant read-speed (streaming). A lot of FUD and misinfomation was spread about this in the past (360 fans, at least the PS3 doesn't sound like a broken vacuum cleaner and discs don't scratch, apart from providing more space for games and Blu-Ray movies, IMO Kudos to Sony for this!).

For them the 360's lack of default HD is most annoying difference between the platforms.

MikeB

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
All teams developing first party Sony titles help each other. Which is why they almost all come out look very impressive.

They are also sharing much knowledge with 3rd party developers.

Calen

Call of Duty 4 uses the SPUs extensively. I don't have any kind of a capacity metric like "97.36954% utilized" or anything silly like that, but we have room to grow.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Calen said:
Call of Duty 4 uses the SPUs extensively. I don't have any kind of a capacity metric like "97.36954% utilized" or anything silly like that, but we have room to grow.

Oh hell!

I love this thread.

itsgreen

MikeB said:
Their most interesting points IMO:

The average disc speed they said is comparable between the 360 and PS3, advantage to BluRay for constant read-speed (streaming). A lot of FUD and misinfomation was spread about this in the past (360 fans, at least the PS3 doesn't sound like a broken vacuum cleaner and discs don't scratch, apart from providing more space for games and Blu-Ray movies, IMO Kudos to Sony for this!).

For them the 360's lack of default HD is most annoying difference between the platforms.

Have you even listened? average are about equal. But if you put the most used files in the edge of the disc, DVD has an advantage.

360 does sound like a vacuumcleaner with a gerbal stuck in it :)

itsgreen said:
Have you even listened? average are about equal. But if you put the most used files in the edge of the disc, DVD has an advantage.

In the case of Burnout, the most used files could be the car assets from the traffic. If you don't manage that cleverly, it'll end up doing way too many accesses and that could be counterproductive. It really is not that simple, and by that I mean both of our arguments.

Anyway, you can't put that much data on the edge of the disk, and dual layered disks are even more limited in terms of reading speed and access time. Blu-ray's constant read rate + standard HDD, plus an SPU dedicated to uncompress data from the drives, makes the PS3 much more potentially suitable for streaming, that is, for games like Burnout Paradise, GTA IV, Uncharted, UE 3.0 powered games, etc.

MikeB

Banned
Calen said:

Would love to know how much has been moved onto the SPEs so far (and what you use them for already!), in any case people in this thread already believed this to be the case considering 60 FPS and comments from the devs stating the PS3 version is slightly better.

I assume you guys pushed the 360 to its near max potential, many seemed more impressed by your game from a technical perspective than Halo 3 (high profile, high budget, long development time exclusive) or Mass Effect (Unreal engine based exclusive) which don't have as solid of a framerate.

I would like to know why the game only renders in 600p on both consoles though, was this related to storage sacrifices (also considering the single player campaign is a little short), performance related or anything else? Will future games take advantage of Blu-Ray disc, like for instance including lossless 7.1 audio?

kevm3

It's impressive how Insomniac games can continually get games out on time, and yet each one looks substantially better than the game released before it. Ratchet looks a good deal better than Resistance, and Resistance seems to take the positives from Ratchet and build on top of that. Amazing.

MikeB

Banned
itsgreen said:

360 does sound like a vacuumcleaner with a gerbal stuck in it :)

That's bascially the summary. On average the PS3 drive is a little faster compared to dual layer 360 DVDs, but sustained read speeds means predictable with regard to streaming.

And BTW the PS3's default harddrive is much faster than the outer edges of a DVD. Much loaded assets can easily be stored on the PS3's harddrive, again giving the PS3 a significant edge in this regard.

MikeB

Banned
Calen said:

MikeB said:
Would love to know how much has been moved onto the SPEs so far (and what you use them for already!), in any case people in this thread already believed this to be the case considering 60 FPS and comments from the devs stating the PS3 version is slightly better.

I assume you guys pushed the 360 to its near max potential, many seemed more impressed by your game from a technical perspective than Halo 3 (high profile, high budget, long development time exclusive) or Mass Effect (Unreal engine based exclusive) which don't have as solid of a framerate.

I would like to know why the game only renders in 600p on both consoles though, was this related to storage sacrifices (also considering the single player campaign is a little short), performance related or anything else? Will future games take advantage of Blu-Ray disc, like for instance including lossless 7.1 audio?

I found some more info, from February issue of PSM:

"PSM: How much do you consider COD4 tapped the available power of the PS3?

RB: It is hard to fully quantify how much potential the PS3 has. We certainly have a significant amount of untapped SPU power. Even though we moved many of our systems to the SPU's for COD4, we are planning on moving more of the collision and AI to the SPU. We are also investigating doing more procedural animation on the SPU for our next project. Using the SPU for procedural animation allows for another level of interactivity that wasn't really practical on the previous generation of hardware,

This just reaffirms how vital of a role the SPU's are to the PS3. Now that devs are starting to use the cell to perform similar tasks as a GPU would. The evident power of the PS3 is unfolding right before them. This also making the RSX that much more efficient. PS3 games are now going to be setting the bar higher than ever before."

MikeB said:
I don't think it's ever been about "better tools", regardless of what anyone wants to believe. The problem comes in when people forget that tools are there to help us to our job better or faster, not to do the job for us. Our team is responsible for the product that gets in the hands of the players - we're never, ever going to tell them that we couldn't do something "because the tools wouldn't allow it." or because "it was too hard." Those are the poorest of excuses."

Who do you work for, Mike?

MikeB

Banned
Bearillusion said:
Who do you work for, Mike?

I am a physical therapist (independent), I have worked for tech companies in the past as an advisor and have been a tech writer for various websites in the past. Why?

MikeB

Banned
I have added the comments to the original post:

19) Call of Duty 4

"It is hard to fully quantify how much potential the PS3 has. We certainly have a significant amount of untapped SPU power. Even though we moved many of our systems to the SPU's for COD4, we are planning on moving more of the collision and AI to the SPU. We are also investigating doing more procedural animation on the SPU for our next project. Using the SPU for procedural animation allows for another level of interactivity that wasn't really practical on the previous generation of hardware,

This just reaffirms how vital of a role the SPU's are to the PS3. Now that devs are starting to use the cell to perform similar tasks as a GPU would. The evident power of the PS3 is unfolding right before them. This also making the RSX that much more efficient. PS3 games are now going to be setting the bar higher than ever before."

Source: Playstation Magazine

MikeB

Banned
I also moved this comment to the OP, as part of the PS3 Oblivion comments:

Fallout 3’s Executive Producer Todd Howard - from Oblivion developer Bethesda - understands that PS3 “has more than enough power. No single game is using it all yet - not even close”. (Source: Games Radar)

Any suggestions for improving the OP would be most welcome and helpful. Please provide sources while doing so.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Found this interesting, I'm not sure if it's been discussed here already.

It appears that Cell is a perfect match for procedural texturing and ray tracing, as witnessed with these ProFX middleware technology benchmarks. ProFX is now in some form, apart of PS3 middleware.

The Bayou benchmark below was completed in 10 seconds by the 360, 5 seconds by the 8800GTS and 1.2 seconds by the PS3.

99kv4xyosw.jpg

vnn2eiicc8.jpg

yzlyg66o8g.jpg

More at ps3forums.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=120130

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Interesting page there, made even more interesting with the mystery!!

When I first saw this and took some screenshots, I talked with some developer friends in the Los Angeles area as I was down visiting some relatives. I lived in worked in Santa Monica and West L.A. 7 yrs ago. Showed them the ProFX website and that the PS3 could outperform a PC with a Nvidia 8800!

When I got home here in the Northwest, three days later, the only references to Sony were in their Brochure written in 2006 for with their Middleware icon along with Microsoft's, and Epic's. The 4D Tab page was sanitized along with the Benchmark for PS3. All the 4D demos like the aging Bathroom and the Barrels in the basement were linked directly off that 4D Tab with the Sony Middleware Icon. Like it was only meant for the PS3.

But when I found everything gone, I questioned everyone I had talked to about it including the L.A. developers. I got the impression he had contacted ProFX and Sony or Nvidia about these Benchmarks. Although he develops for Multi-platform and not just the PS3, he tells me nothing and avoided talking directly about the ProFX web site or the benchmarks.

I get the impression that Nvidia wouldn't like people knowing the PS3 can outperform their 8800GPU. Sony of course is still hiding just what the RSX really is, yet it pretty obviously is capable of pushing 4K to a screen. That's why they wanted HDMI 1.3 (not the older version that's in Xbox 360) in it. To make it capable of pushing full 4K uncompressed data through FLEXiO through an eventual double-link. Originally Kutaragi wanted 2 HDMI 1.3 ports from the start in the PS3. From what I've read they still plan on putting another HDMI 1.3 port in at some point over the next 10 years of it's projected life cycle!

EDIT: Another interesting note i spotted in that guys subsequent posts

With Uncharted running so much Procedurally Generated Real Time animations and graphics, we aren't seeing any Load Screens and no transitions between cut scenes and game play!

That guy seems to be in the know... I wonder who he is.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Here's an interview with Sebastien Deguy, president of Allegorithmic.

Graphics, Games, and Multi-core
Jonathan Erickson
The challenges for developers may not be just technical

Today's guest is Sebastien Deguy, president and founder of Allegorithmic.

DDJ: Sebastien, the Allegorithmic web site mentions "procedural textures." What does that mean?

SD: Procedural textures are textures defined according to an algorithm. Instead of painting (by hand) the texture pixel by pixel, you define the way these pixels have to be lit to produce the texture you want. It's basically like writing a program, and with that program comes all the power of algorithms over frozen (bitmap) data -- compactness, data amplification, parameterization, and the like.

When the procedural texture is defined, you launch an engine for actually generating the bitmap textures. These are called realizations of the procedural description, and it's a lot like the difference between a -- possibly random -- process and the realization of that process.

In the case of Allegorithmic's procedural textures, you'd define the procedures in a nice visual way using our product MaPZone, then use our other technology ProFX to rasterize the images, producing the final result to be displayed by a game engine or any renderer.

There are many advantages to using procedural textures instead of bitmap textures, one of them being that procedural texture files are typically 500-1000 smaller than bitmaps (making them ideal for online games).

DDJ: I'm familiar with 3D textures. But what are 4D textures?

SD: 4D here stands for 3D + Time. 4D textures means evolving textures, evolving environments and games. On our web site we showcase a demo around that idea, where a bathroom goes from a clean state to a dirty state in real-time.

Procedural textures, because they are driven by parameters, can be driven by time. And by letting time go by, the aspect of the textures can be changed, going for example from a clean state to a deprecated one.

Now imagine that applied to a game, where the whole environment and characters are changing, evolving, according to time but also to your actions within that environment. Actual PCs and consoles can handle this, and I must say I can't wait to see games using this as a feature.

DDJ: If I recall from your web site, a platform you will shortly be supporting is Playstation 3. What benefits and challenges do multi-core processors bring to the scene?

SD: Procedural techniques are demanding in terms of power, so the more power you can get, the better it is in that respect. Going multi-threaded is quite easy generally speaking for image-based work (you can divide the image in several pieces and work in parallel), and so the more cores you can get, again, the better it will be.

That said, programming the PS3's eight Synergistic Processing Units (SPUs) can be quite challenging from time to time, but there is definitely a lot to gain from the architecture, and ProFX on PS3 should run impressively fast. (We should get confirmation on that by the end of the year or so

A very cool side effect of the PS3's architecture is that ProFX should be able to continuously stream textures -- using one or two SPUs to compute the textures to be given to the GPU to be displayed, that's a huge bonus for adding rich content to games without having to stream that content from the BluRay or overloading the sole GPU of the machine.

You should see more graphically impressive games than ever with that kind of combination.

DDJ: We've seem to have made great strides in terms of texture mapping and other forms of 3D modeling. What's the next big challenge?

SD: There are many technical challenges that I could point out here. But I'd like to focus on one. Game developers now have a lot more content to produce, store, and distribute than ever before. MMORPGs are a good example here, filling up a BluRay of 50GB of content (instead of 5GB for a single layer DVD) is another one.

The question is then, for producing 10 times more content, do you want to grow your company by a factor of 10? Although I like the idea of allowing the industry to grow significantly, and although I love the idea of providing the maximum people with a cool job, I don't believe it's feasible that way.

Therefore game developers have to find new ways of not only producing that content, but also storing and delivering it.

I strongly believe procedural techniques for content creation are a major solution to that challenge:

* It's proven that, because defining procedural content is a highly non-linear process, you produce more content faster than with traditional techniques by reusing a lot of the base elements you've been producing along the line.
* Procedural content can be easily customized and created by gamers, and user-generated content is another key element for producing never-ending content.
* Procedural content files are typically parameters or code, which is usually extremely small compared to what it can produce. And that makes them ideal for the storage and furthermore the delivery of that content.

Of course, going from a traditional approach for content production to using generative techniques can be quite a challenge by itself, but it's worth the effort, and one of the only ways I see for raising the bar in terms of next-generation content creation.

DDJ: If readers want to find out more about these topics, can you suggest a web site? [okay to point to www.allegorithmic.com - YES]

SD: First, I invite readers to take a look at the web site dedicated to ProFX, Allegorithmic's middleware for procedural texturing, where they can find a lot of information regarding procedural texturing for games:

They can also check the Wikipedia webpage about procedural generation as a whole, and see that it's quite a hot topic right now (waiting for Spore!

belvedere

Junior Butler
BeeDog said:
I can't see the reference to the PS3 generation time on the ProFX site, wtf?

It definitely was there. This apparently became a very heated topic at B3d and dozens of citations can be found by other insiders as well. Maybe allegorithmic took it down now that they have the ability to stream the demo?

MikeB

Banned
An overall misinformative and not very useful interview with Epic, it mainly demonstrates how far they are behind Insomniac with regard to adapting their engine for the Cell's SPEs.

Unlike Insomniac which has nearly everything running on the Cell's SPEs, Epic refers to the code they are running on the SPEs as "frees up the primary CPUs from having to do those mindless, but necessary, tasks.". It seems advanced SPE AI like we will see in Resistance 2 and other exclusive games shouldn't be expected for the Unreal engine anytime soon.

Insomniac: "SPUs means more enemies on screen, significantly more complex AI"

They also talk as if you can't use the XDR memory for increasing texture memory and increasing texture bandwidth, Epic: "The PS3 has two memory chunks, one for texture detail and one for geometry complexity".

In addition to the Cell's SPEs they are talking about other CPUs residing inside the PS3, this is being referred to plurally and I don't understand what they are talking about there. If you don't use the SPEs, it's just the PPE which acts as a CPU (just one) and you have the RSX which is the GPU.

Of course we know this all to be incorrect, but anyway here's the interview:
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/158468.shtml

MikeB

Banned
I added the following comment with regard to Naughty Dog's Uncharted:

"Naughty Dog uses a Job Manager developed jointly by Naughty Dog’s ICE team and SCEE’s ATG group. This means that we can send any type of job to any SPE, and all of the scheduling of jobs is done through a priority system. This works well, since the overhead is minimal and we achieve good load-balancing between SPEs, something that would be hard to do by allocating a whole SPU to a single task."

Source: n4g.com

Diablos

Cell is a really nice processor.

Is there anything special about RSX or is it basically a mainstream GPU slapped onto the board? I've heard mixed things.

Durante

Diablos said:

Is there anything special about RSX or is it basically a mainstream GPU slapped onto the board? I've heard mixed things.
The last thing I read was that RSX is basically G71 with some larger caches.

MikeB

Banned
Diablos said:

The GPU has been adapted to work well with the Cell (pre-processing) and use XDR memory.

Beyond3D:

"While the RSX might have some parts removed compared to the G71, such as its PureVideo technology, transistor count is likely balanced back by having more redundancy and larger caches: indeed, we believe that most of the RSX's internal caches are larger compared to any G7x part, including the post-vertex transform cache and compression caches. In addition to its normal 48KiB of texture cache to its local memory, it also has an extra 96KiB of cache dedicated to communication with the XDR memory pool, in order to improve bandwidth utilization and average latency, and make it possible to use that memory pool for texturing operations - resulting in greater overall system bandwidth utilization."

WrikaWrek

Banned
MikeB said:
Would love to know how much has been moved onto the SPEs so far (and what you use them for already!), in any case people in this thread already believed this to be the case considering 60 FPS and comments from the devs stating the PS3 version is slightly better. (uh?)

:lol

Holy crap you are one biased funny poster aren't you? Let's forget the fact that GEARs looks better than Halo 3 or Mass Effect, and also Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4, which are amongst the most impressive games on both platforms.

But keep at it, the thread itself is cool.

methane47

WrikaWrek said:
:lol

Holy crap you are one biased funny poster aren't you? Let's forget the fact that GEARs looks better than Halo 3 or Mass Effect, and also Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4, which are amongst the most impressive games on both platforms.

But keep at it, the thread itself is cool.

:lol wut??

WrikaWrek

Banned
methane47 said:
:lol wut??

kettle: you're black

I think GEARs looks better than Halo 3 or Mass Effect. And Cod4 and AC look better than Gears in my book.

And no, i'm not biased. I mean, i'm biased with certain games, but no don't walk down that road with me because you are sorely mistaken.

methane47

WrikaWrek said:
I think GEARs looks better than Halo 3 or Mass Effect. And Cod4 and AC look better than Gears in my book.

OHHHhh.. because how you phrased it earlier suggested you thought Gears looked better than COD4 and AC as well

belvedere said:
It definitely was there. This apparently became a very heated topic at B3d and dozens of citations can be found by other insiders as well. Maybe allegorithmic took it down now that they have the ability to stream the demo?
crazy.

Different techniques get different results on different platforms. Nothing really new.

Criterion wrote code that ran better on the PS2 than it did on the PS3. So going on that one could say the ps2 was more powerful.

I suspected the PS3 would be much better than the 360 at procedural synthesis though.

Yea Homer Gears does look pretty damn incredible and yes there are most definitely ways it looks better than COD4 or AC no question about that. It's one of the reasons why I'm so interested to see how much they could improve on the look in Gears 2.

The lighting will be better there's just no doubt about that, but I wonder what else they'll be able to improve.

SRG01

CowboyAstronaut said:
Different techniques get different results on different platforms. Nothing really new.

Criterion wrote code that ran better on the PS2 than it did on the PS3. So going on that one could say the ps2 was more powerful.

I suspected the PS3 would be much better than the 360 at procedural synthesis though.

Yea Homer Gears does look pretty damn incredible and yes there are most definitely ways it looks better than COD4 or AC no question about that. It's one of the reasons why I'm so interested to see how much they could improve on the look in Gears 2.

The lighting will be better there's just no doubt about that, but I wonder what else they'll be able to improve.

Efficient thread distribution between the three cores would definitely be up there on the list of priorities. The next would be working in 600p.

MikeB

Banned
@ WrikaWrek

I was just trying to lure the dev into producing some comments. :lol

"Infinity Ward studio head Vince Zampella has bellowed. He's been explaining why Sony's edition has a bigger online capacity (24 max players vs 360's 18) and, according to those with cyborg-eyes, improved visuals." (Source: CVG)

(IMO it has little to do with bias, technically I don't think the 360 will be pushed much further looking at the bottlenecks, with GTA IV or Gears 2 I think the platform will see its peak performance wise in big commercial games)

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Gears is one of the best looking games out there still, and for me in some ways Gears does look better than AC and COD4.

Gears looks good, although a bit slow moving. I do think the game was overhyped though, but not with regard to its graphics, more with regard to story telling, acting, freedom of movement, unrealistic crouched running and quite a few not so fun sections.

Top Bottom