• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

Busty

Banned
carlosp said:
someone who works in a gaming company which works on some ps3 projects. I hope you understand the fact that i don't want to interduce my self and my company here :)

@Care to elaborate?:

I am sorry but at this stage everything is too technical. I am not a dev guy my self, for that reason i am the wrong one to explain the results. I can tell some more in a few weeks when we get the first visual results.

Fair enough but surely you can answer these....

A) Is this gaming company working exclusively on PS3 only projects?

B) Are they known to be working on PS3 projects at this time?

Hopefully they are vague enough to answer.

carlosp

Banned
Busty said:
Fair enough but surely you can answer these....

A) Is this gaming company working exclusively on PS3 only projects?

B) Are they known to be working on PS3 projects at this time?

Hopefully they are vague enough to answer.

a) Yes
b) Yes but not B2C

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Worm_Buffet said:
He's developing WMDs that utilize the power of the PlayStation.

I always wondered what happened to Saddam's massive collection of PS2s. He must have hosted some bangin' link-up/LAN games in his time.

SRG01

AranhaHunter said:
If you tell me what company you work for and the games planned, I'll register to vote and vote for Obama.

You should register and vote for Obama regardless. But that's OT. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Worm_Buffet said:
He's developing WMDs that utilize the power of the PlayStation.
I remember PS2 was not allowed to be exported to a number of countries, is PS3 the same way? Completely off -topic of course./

SRG01

andydumi said:
I remember PS2 was not allowed to be exported to a number of countries, is PS3 the same way? Completely off -topic of course./

I think it was because it contained some specific US IP/technology and the US is not allowed to export such IP to certain countries.

It may have been the MIPS processors, but I'm not sure. Quite powerful for its day.

carlosp said:
someone who works in a gaming company which works on some ps3 projects. I hope you understand the fact that i don't want to interduce my self and my company here :)

@Care to elaborate?:

I am sorry but at this stage everything is too technical. I am not a dev guy my self, for that reason i am the wrong one to explain the results. I can tell some more in a few weeks when we get the first visual results.
Lies!

MikeB

Banned
belvedere said:

Interesting comment, I guess the PS3 potentially being better with regard to AA or not depends on resolution, HDR and such. At 600p adding AA on the 360 version is performance wise nearly free, however with higher resolutions (like 720p and beyond) the PS3 should technically have an edge due to tiling significantly affecting framerates.

The usefulness of AA however depends on various other factors though. Resolution, used color pallete for graphics, special effect, lighting, etc all play a role. And there are several different techniques to reduce jaggie perception besides for example MSAA, like edge blurring, a technique also applied to animated movie production. The end result is what matters the most, not the tricks applied to achieve this end result.

The Ghostbusters comment is also very interesting. Being able to handle far more activity should be expected if comparing the Xenon and Cell technical specs and implementation within the full hardware architecture.

MikeB

Banned
With regard to the 360/PC to PS3 game ports situation I missed these comments from HouseMarque from last year:

"Speaking at the Assembly ArTech Seminar today, Lead Programmer Jere "XMunkki" Sanisalo said that all you need is a little planning and understanding of the PS3 hardware: "You can't just pick the Unreal engine and hope it works". Housemarque, Sanisalo says, has extensive experience in developing for the PS2, and PS3 is by far the better platform to develop for."

"Developing for the PS3 architecture's specific requirements gave a huge speed boost on a PC as well, as the small data packets Housemarque used achieved coherent cache hits on a PC processor. Sanisalo's comments harken back to the good old days of Commodore and getting the most out of the hardware with smart coding.

Super Stardust HD was developed on the PC in the first place because Sony apparently forgot to send out Development Kits to Housemarque. In fact, the game was 4 months into the 10-month development cycle before it graced the target platform. "

http://www.yougamers.com/news/8488_housemarque_working_with_the_ps3_is_fun_helps_pcs_too/

carlosp

Banned
thx guys for all you interest. All i can tell you now is please wait until GC in august and we will reveal our project and everything.

MikeB

Banned
MikeB said:
With regard to the 360/PC to PS3 game ports situation I missed these comments from HouseMarque from last year:

"Speaking at the Assembly ArTech Seminar today, Lead Programmer Jere "XMunkki" Sanisalo said that all you need is a little planning and understanding of the PS3 hardware: "You can't just pick the Unreal engine and hope it works". Housemarque, Sanisalo says, has extensive experience in developing for the PS2, and PS3 is by far the better platform to develop for."

"Developing for the PS3 architecture's specific requirements gave a huge speed boost on a PC as well, as the small data packets Housemarque used achieved coherent cache hits on a PC processor. Sanisalo's comments harken back to the good old days of Commodore and getting the most out of the hardware with smart coding.

Super Stardust HD was developed on the PC in the first place because Sony apparently forgot to send out Development Kits to Housemarque. In fact, the game was 4 months into the 10-month development cycle before it graced the target platform. "

http://www.yougamers.com/news/8488_housemarque_working_with_the_ps3_is_fun_helps_pcs_too/

More comments with regard to SSHD's Solo Pack, added to the OP:

"We probably draw about twice the number of objects compared to the original game. We are pretty close to maxing out the RSX, but in our next game we will still push the chip more. Currently we do not use SPUs to pre-process the geometry for RSX — that will make a major difference. I estimate that we can further boost the graphics performance by 50%."

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008...ve-playstation-3-game-explained-and-expanded/

Kittonwy

Banned
MikeB said:
I added a link to the following PDF to the OP:

Uncharted Tech GDC 2008

So they use logluv?
Indifferent2.gif

MikeB

Banned
An interesting IEEE award winning research paper has been published online. The Cell's SPEs are especially single (and half) precision code monsters, running one thread per SPE. Although their efficiency drops when creating additional software threads and taking a double precision approach this study demonstrates the Cell can still be multiple times more powerful in such far from ideal situations than other top CPU architectures.

This paper researches the performance of several top processors, the Cell in these double precision tests is running 16 threads on 8 SPEs (the PS3 has 7 SPEs in addition to the PPE, one of which one is used for OS functionality running in the background). The study focusses on the Lattice Boltzmann application (LBMHD) "that historically has made poor use of scalar microprocessors due to its complex data structures and memory access patterns." The performance increase per extra SPE unlike for the other CPUs shows a near linear increase in performance:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~samw/research/papers/ipdps08.pdf

Sam_Williams_IPDPS2.JPG

MikeB

Banned
A little quote with regard to Motorstorm: Pacific Rift from Evolution regarding the SPUs:

“PS3 is just fantastic. It’s tricky to develop on, but that’s just a learning curve. You work that out and you cut corners and squeeze more and more out of it with each game you do. We had just got to grips with the PS2 when the PS3 came out. I’m sure it will come to point where it plateaus and [the jump between] our games will become smaller, but at the minute, because it’s a whole different architecture and you have the SPUs running in parallel, it’s a different way of development and we’re just cultivating different ways to use the SPUs, different ways of feeding them different technologies and getting different results out of it. It’s not necessarily trial and error but you try something for a week, which then gives you another idea and you try something else, so we’re still on that curve at the moment, going up and the future looks really good.”

Read the full interview here:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?o...k=view&id=10355&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Developing for the PS3 architecture's specific requirements gave a huge speed boost on a PC as well, as the small data packets Housemarque used achieved coherent cache hits on a PC processor

I felt this required to be quoted again :)!

MikeB

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
I felt this required to be quoted again :)!

I agree this is very important. PCs have gone multi-core, but most PC games haven't been very efficient in getting the most out of the platform.

IMO reasons for this:

- Single CPU PC have been dominant for a very long time, the 1995 BeBox already took the multi-processor approach, but the first dual core x86 PCs arrived no earlier than a decade later and thus PC sofware was still single threaded and so there was little to no advantage for consumers to go multi-core for quite a long period.

- Also Windows and DirectX are very inefficiently designed, sucking up huge amounts of memory and about half the available CPU cycles on a single core machine. For many years the general approach was to let consumers just buy a higher clocked CPU and more memory instead of optiming the software, this counts for Windows (and still does) as well as for games developers and worked well for a decade.

But now we are at a point where cheap PCs are able to fullfill what most people expect from them and people are now wary of everlasting upgrades just to play the latest and 'greatest' games. Vista is even more of a resource hog and thus most consumers prefer to stick with XP if provided a choice (Microsoft doesn't for new PCs and laptops).

The best selling PC games are the least demanding ones. This is one of the reasons why I think PC games developers should heavily investigate on improving their game code. In the past you could expect PC gamers to blindly upgrade their PCs while thinking they are getting the most out of their system. Now consoles are able to play online and play in high resolutions on a much larger TV display, even able to connect mouse and keyboard if so desired. This all far more effortlessly, more comfortable playing with a wireless controller sitting on a couch in the living room. There's nothing gaming wise a console cannot provide what a gaming PC can provide and many may actually prefer the overall experience.

Making games which make better use the PC's available hardware resources will significantly widen the potential PC gamer audience who are able to play your games. In the past devs may look at this as being too costly investments compared to the potential gains, I hope more devs will see the potential of such investments as a method of boosting their sales.

Sadly though the average consumer isn't very well informed, making a far more efficient game which runs well on lowend hardware may make some hardcore PC fans believe it's unimpressive compared to a very inefficiently developed game which only runs well enough on high end machines.

MikeB said:
There's nothing gaming wise a console cannot provide what a gaming PC can provide and many may actually prefer the overall experience.
Not really true at all. Much easier player communication (by virtue of keyboard), mods and a much more complex, powerful online system in most games are all things that PC has over console.

dalin80

Banned
proposition said:
Not really true at all. Much easier player communication (by virtue of keyboard), mods and a much more complex, powerful online system in most games are all things that PC has over console.

The ps3 has mouse and keyboard support its up to each developer to choose to add it, it also has mod support and the power and complexity of a online system comes from the developer and has nothing to do with the base being either a console or PC.

dalin80 said:
The ps3 has mouse and keyboard support its up to each developer to choose to add it, it also has mod support and the power and complexity of a online system comes from the developer and has nothing to do with the base being either a console or PC.
So optional mouse + keyboard support is as good as de facto mouse and keyboard input? Hokay.

dalin80

Banned
You were criticising what a console was capable of in comparison to a pc in way of features. Features that are there if you want there as far as the console is concerned its upto each developer to use.

dalin80 said:
You were criticising what a console was capable of in comparison to a pc in way of features. Features that are there if you want there as far as the console is concerned its upto each developer to use.
But each developer doesn't use it, so it's mostly irrelevant.

FirewalkR

I got this feeling that the PS3 came out just to teach people how to code properly again. :lol

OT:
proposition, your avatar is from Homeworld?

MikeB

Banned
proposition said:

Just wanted to point out the functionality is there.

It's still early days for the PS3 and I hope good keyboard and mouse support will be implemented whenever this makes sense, such as for point & click strategy games. I don't think having mouse and keyboard gaming as a de facto standard is appealing to all gamers, I always played my FPS games with mouse & keyboard in the past, but no more. I now prefer a Playstation controller.

With regard to online I think the PS3 can provide all the functionality a PC does for games, GTA IV and UT3 are using Gamespy technology. The online flexibility of the PS3 has been hailed by PS3 developers and an exclusive game like Resistance 2 will feature 8 player online co-up modes and 60 player multi-player, breaking new ground for FPS gaming on the PS3. IMO Playstation Home may well give the PS3 an edge with regard to features appealing to consumers.

MikeB

Banned
Little comments from DICE Studio with regard to Mirror's Edge:

During Decker's on-stage presentation he said that "thanks to the incredible processing power of the PS3" DICE was able to make its "vision of what the game really is".

He added: "The other thing is the Cell really allows us to push the resolution of our textures much higher and we've taken full advantage of that as well. So there's a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/09-05-2008-8239.html

bj00rn_

Banned
lupinko said:
Isn't that game multiplatform?

Don't try to make sense out of this thread. It's all about snowing with data and babble with technobabble. What it means actually means, if anything, doesn't matter, it's all about those SPEs man!

lupinko said:

That doesn't really mean anything. A multiplatform game can take advantage of a systems strong points, it's just most haven't so far.

With that said, given how Sony is acting with this game it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to secure some sort of exclusivity deal on it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
lupinko said:

They want PS3 owners to buy the game. It's PR. Texture resolution is largely a GPU intensive domain. He's (Dice guy) is trying to garner sales.

SolidSnakex said:
That doesn't really mean anything. A multiplatform game can take advantage of a systems strong points, it's just most haven't so far.

With that said, given how Sony is acting with this game it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to secure some sort of exclusivity deal on it.

It's been in the Gamestop system for a two weeks on PC/PS3/360. You might see an advertising campaign exclusive to Sony, but nothing more. Both Sony and Microsoft have introduced games to the world at their conferences. This is nothing new.

Agent Icebeezy said:
It's been in the Gamestop system for a two weeks on PC/PS3/360. You might see an advertising campaign exclusive to Sony, but nothing more. Both Sony and Microsoft have introduced games to the world at their conferences. This is nothing new.

Yes I know it's currently multipaltform, but it wouldn't be the first game to be announced as that and later turn out to be an exclusive (or time exclusive). While there were several 3rd party games at Sony's Playstation Day, this was the only one to receive a presentation. And on the PSN store the description of the trailer says "Introducing a new PS3 icon - Faith". At the show they also talked about securing more 3rd party exclusives. So it certainly seems possible that they're going to at least attempt to land this as an exclusive in some way.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SolidSnakex said:
Yes I know it's currently multipaltform, but it wouldn't be the first game to be announced as that and later turn out to be an exclusive (or time exclusive). While there were several 3rd party games at Sony's Playstation Day, this was the only one to receive a presentation. And on the PSN store the description of the trailer says "Introducing a new PS3 icon - Faith". At the show they also talked about securing more 3rd party exclusives. So it certainly seems possible that they're going to at least attempt to land this as an exclusive in some way.

I look at it as no different as when Peter Moore said that GTA was going to be on 360, implying only, only to have Rockstar clean up the mess. They are playing with words.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I look at it as no different as when Peter Moore said that GTA was going to be on 360, implying only, only to have Rockstar clean up the mess. They are playing with words.

It's possible. But then again if MS could've they would've secured it as an exclusive. Securing an upstart franchise wouldn't cost nearly as much.

MikeB

Banned
Some comments with regard to FlOw and thegamecompany's new "FlOwer" game project:

“When we were working on flOw we didn’t really use any SPUs, which is the biggest asset of PS3. Or, even if we used them, it was done by other programmers, not the programmers on our team,” explained Chen. “But now, the team has caught up, and they’ve all started doing SPU programming. So that is really making a difference. We actually used the power of the PS3 this time.”

http://ps3.yourbloggingpro.com/2008...flower-and-sonys-interest-in-grown-up-gamers/

Top Bottom