• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 motherboard pictures (including new 40GB model)

Rolf NB

duk said:
does this mean the initial 40GBs aren't 65nm? hrmmm if so.

i want to buy this puppy day 1.
Who and what is giving you this idea now?
They draw less power than the old models, and significantly so: from 190W to 130W. A shift to 65nm production for at least one of the two major chips is just about the only plausible way to achieve this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever seen any company do three motherboard revisions in less than a year to a product of such complexity. The design, integration, testing, SW variant and production line retooling investment is enormous. It's not just "taking a chip out", this stuff is damn complex.

Sony's got some crazy R&D bandwidth for sure.

bigswords

Chittagong said:
I don't think I've ever seen any company do three motherboard revisions in less than a year to a product of such complexity. The design, integration, testing, SW variant and production line retooling investment is enormous. It's not just "taking a chip out", this stuff is damn complex.

Sony's got some crazy R&D bandwidth for sure.

They need to reduce cost, or they will be in trouble. But nonetheless, their R&D and engineers are really awesome, to drop power requirements of the system by 60 watts. Very impressive.

Truespeed

bcn-ron said:
Who and what is giving you this idea now?
They draw less power than the old models, and significantly so: from 190W to 130W. A shift to 65nm production for at least one of the two major chips is just about the only plausible way to achieve this.

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps a redesigned power supply, the removal of chips, a redesigned southbridge. There are many ways to reduce power consumption without going to 65nm. Besides, wasn't the 65nm announcement by Engadget debunked by Sony?

tanod

when is my burrito
Truespeed said:
Oh, I don't know. Perhaps a redesigned power supply, the removal of chips, a redesigned southbridge. There are many ways to reduce power consumption without going to 65nm. Besides, wasn't the 65nm announcement by Engadget debunked by Sony?

yep Gonna edit the OP.

Peter303

Do the new 40gig PS3s have a standard 110-220v power connector? I seem to remember the first Japanese machines only supported 110v?

I'm thinking of importing a Japanese one to Australia.

Johnkers

Peter303 said:
Do the new 40gig PS3s have a standard 110-220v power connector? I seem to remember the first Japanese machines only supported 110v?

Me too!

bigswords

Peter303 said:

Isn't it safer to get an Asian one? They have the white PS3 as well.

tanod said:
yep Gonna edit the OP.

You should also add that the 40GB pic in the OP is from a PAL unit (or maybe US NTSC), because the white japanese one seems to have an entirely different motherboard.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Peter303 said:

No the first japanese machines definitely supported both 110 and 220. I have one of these so I would know ;)
As for the 40 GB models, I don't think anyone has an answer yet.

Raist

Banned
TerryLee81 said:
You should also add that the 40GB pic in the OP is from a PAL unit (or maybe US NTSC), because the white japanese one seems to have an entirely different motherboard.

Huh ?

I doubt they're making 2 different MBs for the same model

bigswords

Peter303 said:
Are the Asian ones 220v??? If so, that would be ideal. I really want a white one too.

From the last I checked Singapore's voltage and Australian's are the same ;), just the plug's shape is different.

Power AC 220V, 50/60Hz

Edit: here's more information on the release in Singapore (Asian PS3)

http://asia.playstation.com/eng_sg/index.php?q=node/1199

New 40GB in 2 colors at only SG$559 (including tax)
Black (CECHG06) / Ceramic White (CECHG06CW)

Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong Limited (SCEH) today announced details of its exciting new 40GB PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) model that will launch in Singapore on 11th November 2007 at the highly attractive price of SG$559.00 (including tax). Also for first time, the new PS3™ model will not only offer in black but also in a new color, CERAMIC WHITE.

Please don't buy too many white PS3s I want one as well

Raist said:
Huh ?

I doubt they're making 2 different MBs for the same model

At least the position and the order of the connectors are VERY different, it could be only that, but I doubt it.

My black PAL 40GB looks like the black one in this picture. Note that the white one looks completely different (if the picture is real).

09f44960e05dc1262fd362985e694985.jpg

tanod

when is my burrito
TerryLee81 said:
At least the position and the order of the connectors are VERY different, it could be only that, but I doubt it.

My black PAL 40GB looks like the black one in this picture. Note that the white one looks completely different (if the picture is real).

Just because the white console hasn't been released to retail yet, I'm waiting to see if the final version matches up with that picture.

Just found a couple bonus pictures I might add to the OP.

PS3 Heatsink
PS3Heatsink.jpg

360 Heatsink
DSC03168.jpg

Raist

Banned
TerryLee81 said:

09f44960e05dc1262fd362985e694985.jpg

yeah you're right. I thought the PAL 40GB model would have the same AV/HDMI/Optical/LAN layout than the japanese CW, but when you look at the 40GB motherboard shot in the OP, the layout is strictly the same than the 60GB's one..

That's really weird. I don't see the point of manufacturing less SKUs, if one of them has 2 different MB layouts now. Meh.

Top Bottom