• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 or PS4??

Help me decide

• PS3

Votes: 82 48.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 89 52.0%

• Total voters

MilkyJoe

People who had/have a PS3 and PS4 - I'm done with modern games, they just suck balls. Time to try something else. People are saying the PS3 was the best console ever, and being that the PS4 has a lot of PS3 remasters, I'm torn between the two....

Pulp Fiction Thinking GIF

PS If you think PS3 - what do the games look like on a 4K tv?

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you're ok with the image quality and frame rate of that generation, PS3 does have a lot of cool exclusives. Takes some getting used to though.

PS4, has tons of great games, but you really are just better off spending the extra money on a PS5 which can play 99.99% of the games better.

The PS3 has arguably one of the best games ever made (Metal Gear Solid 4), and a shit ton of great games.

And the PS4 is VERY solid. A lot of great games, and hidden gems as well, but also a lot of bloat.

But either way, if you can get your hands on both, you won't need any other console anymore.
If you have acess to the PS2 library, even better! You will be playing great games till you die.

Filben

For PS3 era games in general? Xbox 360. Performance on PS3 is so bad in many cases while offering worse visuals in many games. Let's say Red Dead Redemption 1, it has a lower resolution, lower texture resolution, lower shadow quality, lower/no anti-aliasing compared to the 360 version and it still runs worse than on Xbox. There are so many games, like Condemned 2, Assassin's Creed, FEAR, The Darkness, Fallour 3/New Vegas etc. that run worse on PS3 than on Xbox 360.

For PS3 exclusives that haven't got remastered/remade yet... well, obviously PS3.

If not for PS3 era games or PS3 not-yet-remastered exclusives, PS4.

Shut0wen

People who had/have a PS3 and PS4 - I'm done with modern games, they just suck balls. Time to try something else. People are saying the PS3 was the best console ever, and being that the PS4 has a lot of PS3 remasters, I'm torn between the two....

Anyone who told you ps3 is the best console is a liar friendo, one of the worst consoles ever and only decent thing worth playing on it is mgs4, everything else is 20fps stuttery lag

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Oh fuck that Then.

PS4 it is. Now... Pro or Slim...

Weighing Options GIF
You should've gone for the PS4 (Pro) from the start since you can emulate the PS3 on PC with 4K resolution and 60 FPS on most games. This is me playing Killzone 3 with mouse and keyboard @ 60fps:

So PS4 Pro it is!

Last edited:

SScorpio

For PS3 era games in general? Xbox 360. Performance on PS3 is so bad in many cases while offering worse visuals in many games. Let's say Red Dead Redemption 1, it has a lower resolution, lower texture resolution, lower shadow quality, lower/no anti-aliasing compared to the 360 version and it still runs worse than on Xbox. There are so many games, like Condemned 2, Assassin's Creed, FEAR, The Darkness, Fallour 3/New Vegas etc. that run worse on PS3 than on Xbox 360.

For PS3 exclusives that haven't got remastered/remade yet... well, obviously PS3.

If not for PS3 era games or PS3 not-yet-remastered exclusives, PS4.
It can depend game to game, as that was still the dark ages of ports. But a PC could be the best place for some of those games as you can run them at 4K on a potato. And there might be texture pack mods and the like to make the games look better. An Xbox Series X and the enhancements it does to backwards compatible games can also be a good choice if the titles you want to play are supported.

Outside of a very, very small handful of games that aren't supported, I really don't see why you'd get a PS4 or PS4 Pro over a PS5 if money isn't an issue. The PS5 can just outright run some of the games better even without a PS5 patch. And other games run that have a patch are improved event more.

StereoVsn

Oh fuck that Then.

PS4 it is. Now... Pro or Slim...

Weighing Options GIF
At that point, PS5. Enhanced patches for stuff like GoW, SpiderMan, Ghost of Taushima( etc… make it worth it. Plus it plays virtually every PS4 game with couple minor exceptions.

If you’d get a PS4, replace Hard Drive with SSD. I would normally say Pro, but got to be careful of that jet engine sound in it.

Edit: PS3 is pretty great and you can find it fairly cheap. So why not both !?

If you do get one, make sure to buy version with couple actual Sony controllers as they are hard to find separately. Or use an adapter for others.

Last edited:
Imho there are not really that many PS3 exclusives left to actually consider those more worthwhile than what you get on any of the newer systems.
A PS4 makes only some sense if money is really really tight, a Pro even less so, in relation to a PS5.
Loading times on PS3 were long, even longer on PS4 with some games, so not choosing PS5 considering that point is also quite peculiar.
You can of course really really hate the PS5 tower, but then, if that is relevant, I think the Double Whopper Pro is not nice looking either compared to original or slim PS4.
Steamdeck or practically any PC for older games might be a better choice for that. Maybe even getting a N64, Gamecube or wii-u used or whatever. Would at least be actually legal even though it could be done on Steamdeck as well.

BlackTron

I find the PS4 Pro that I already have to be sufficient, but if I didn't have any systems I would just get a PS5 (or hold out for the Pro model).

Just play all the old games, ports/remasters on the newer hardware. Unless there are really specific titles you want that are both trapped on PS3 AND can't be emulated. I wouldn't get a PS3 over 4/5 for a few outlier games.

Bojji

I wanted to do my own thread but thank you for this one!

I bought (my 4th since 2009) PS3 - model 2500 (the best one) and I use it with DS4. It's far better on 4K OLED than I expected, I would say it looks better than on my 2015 1080p LCD.

Input lag is super low and even 30FPS doesn't look bad (for some reason better than in modern games).

Je0KNlC.jpg
NdZUjUI.jpg
76AueQr.jpg
o8InUMc.jpg
zOzAK8I.jpg

zmm2tR0.jpg

JVOznZw.jpg

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. and thanks for the screenshots Bojji Bojji You won't believe how difficult it's been to get a decent representation

Re PS5 - i'm kind of doing this on a budget as my free time is almost zero these days, so i'll kick myself if i sped 5 or 600 on a console and games and they just collect dust, i just thought it's time i try LoU and GoW3 etc

MilkyJoe

Question. Forgive my naivety. Can you play those ps2 titles online let’s say any of the SOCOM games? Or are the emulators just for single player purposes? Thanks in advance.

I dunno, i doubt it. i nev er thought to try. It's a great system though. Does up to Wiiu with some PS3 and 360 titles, but not demanding ones

Sleepwalker

My backwards compatible PS3 is still alive, ive been meaning to give it a spin but havent had the time. Going to get that done this weekend I think.

WoodyStare

I recently installed a 1TB SSD and Hen on my PS3 Super Slim and it’s unbelievable what you can do with this console. The SSD doesn’t make a substantial difference but install times are faster, and I now have a ton of PSX/2/3 games installed on one console. I use it almost everyday. The games look fine on a 4K TV but I’m not too picky. So many great exclusives.

Last edited:

Bojji

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. and thanks for the screenshots Bojji Bojji You won't believe how difficult it's been to get a decent representation

Re PS5 - i'm kind of doing this on a budget as my free time is almost zero these days, so i'll kick myself if i sped 5 or 600 on a console and games and they just collect dust, i just thought it's time i try LoU and GoW3 etc

PS3 and PS5 gives me ability to play - PS1, :(, PS3, PS4 and PS5 games.

PS4 just like PS1 is absolutely not worth it when you have systems (PS2 and PS5) that play all their games in better quality. I would say get PS3 now to actually enjoy all old games in their original version (still with modern HDMI output) and PS5 later (when you have money for that) to get all PS4/PS5 games.

SpiceRacz

I’d grab a PS3 off Facebook Marketplace or OfferUp. I see them going for under $50 all the time, usually with games. Games are super cheap as well. PS4s on the other hand are still $120+ for some reason.

SScorpio

LoU on PS3 was really pushing the hardware and had bad slowdown at times. The PS4 remaster made it run much better, but the PS5 remake compares to LoU2 which recently just got a PS5 remaster.

GoW3 is OK on the PS3, but runs better on the PS4.

A used disk PS5 with controller can be had for under $400. While a PS4 or Pro can be $125 to $150. I'd say the extra $250 is worth it for the better experience, and it will still be getting games for at least five more years.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
What year do modern games start for you? If you're done with modern game, and unless you want to play PS exclusives, get a raspberry pi and set up an emulator under your TV.

Top Bottom