• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 or PS4??

Help me decide

• PS3

Votes: 82 48.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 89 52.0%

• Total voters

Filben

I really don't see why you'd get a PS4 or PS4 Pro [...]
Oh yeah, me neither. I don't see how a PS4 solves the issue for the OP to "escape" modern gaming. It was kind of a strange question to begin with but I wanted ti answer in good faith.

Personally, I'd just get a somewhat decent PC and play the amazing indie library. Also, I think even on a PS5 the AAA bullshit is avoidable. Make educated purchases and that's it. If I still wanted to escape ALL of that, I'd still go for a PC and run any pre-PS3 era game via emulator.

Last edited:
If its mainly for exclusives, then PS3 without a doubt. Sony's studios were firing on all cylinders and there's just more variety as well compared to PS4 for me.

Question. Forgive my naivety. Can you play those ps2 titles online let’s say any of the SOCOM games? Or are the emulators just for single player purposes? Thanks in advance.

I think there's some additional programme that can be installed via PC or homebrew which uses the integrated LAN modes to still run online servers, but official servers for PS2 games are long gone - especially since DNAS was shut down. Several 3rd party games were run through Gamespy Arcade too which went under several years back.

rm082e

My son got really curious about some PS3 games last year, so we picked one up on eBay and got some games for it. Seeing them today...wow. They really look like shit by modern standards. But good games are good games. The PS3 had a slow start for the first 2 years, but certainly built a great library over time.

PS4 got more great games though and good cross-gen support. If you haven't had a PS4 previously, it's an easy choice.

Fbh

As a gen I liked the Ps3 better. More innovation and more new IP's.
But you can play a lot of the best games from that gen on Ps4/5 with better performance and visuals.

Can't say I think there's any particularly amazing games stuck on Ps3, maybe Killzone 2 and 3. But the multiplayer was the best part and that's probably dead.
I don't think the games hold up that well technically either, once you are used to playing at 1080p+ and 60fps it's hard to go back to 720p 25-30fps

Shifty1897

The PS3 was rough. Long load times, rough frame rates.

I don't know why you're done with modern games or why you think they all suck. Maybe play better games.

Shut0wen

Oh fuck that Then.

PS4 it is. Now... Pro or Slim...

Weighing Options GIF
Might as well go pro since theres afew games that are pro enhanced

El Muerto

PS3 for the library. But if you're wanting to play them on a 4k tv i would buy a ps4 and emulate the ps3 library.

cireza

You can't do anything about it unless you emulate. It's still much better experience than PS2 on modern tv or playing PS3 games through that shit cloud system on PS4/PS5.
PS2 was meant to be played on CRT anyway. Still has the shittiest picture of its gen.

PS3 can be a decent experience nowadays if you know how to pick your games. And there aren't a ton that are 60fps. The console also supports Saturn USB controllers which is nice to have for fighting games.

sono

But it's so fuxk ugly in the living room

That is my issue with the PS5 and defo a blocker to purchasing one.

I mentioned in the other thread that I hope the 5 pro is way smaller and better looking.

I have 3 PS3s (!) and I will never sell

nordique

Solely looking at your criteria
PS4 > than PS3

PS3 had great games. But PS4 has some of the best ps3 games that were remastered on ps4, ps4 games look better, I think ps4 exclusives were better personally. Also games run better. PS3 games were not the main platform and ports suffered vs 360, whereas script was flipped w PS4 … games Ran better than Xbox one

Also DualShock 4 is the better controller

Last edited:

lordrand11

At that point, PS5. Enhanced patches for stuff like GoW, SpiderMan, Ghost of Taushima( etc… make it worth it. Plus it plays virtually every PS4 game with couple minor exceptions.

If you’d get a PS4, replace Hard Drive with SSD. I would normally say Pro, but got to be careful of that jet engine sound in it.

Edit: PS3 is pretty great and you can find it fairly cheap. So why not both !?

If you do get one, make sure to buy version with couple actual Sony controllers as they are hard to find separately. Or use an adapter for others.
At that point if you want to play them at their best, get em on PC
Can get dark plates that are more compact that make it look a lot better.
Nah these are bulky crappy designs, changing the color isn't going to help. Hell the only one that would IMO would be getting the Tom and Jerry skin where he eats the fridge for the Series X. The PS5 and Series X are just fugly.

XXL

Unless your looking for the exclusives.....Steam (PC) is by far the best option for playing older games. The games are cheap as hell (on Steam sales) and look and run way better.

Last edited:

Crayon

Ehhh I think PS3 was solid but with sooooo many rereleases from that era, I'm not sure there's a ton of reason to go back.

You might be better off digging into some smaller games either on pc or console. Catching a rerelease of a classic here and there.

And as a keeper of many old consoles, repairs do come up.

sachos

I have an emu PC with pretty much every ps2 game on it
Voted PS4 because games run much better on it but there are exclusives that are locked to the PS3 if that is what interests you. Is your emu PC good enough for RPCS3? ~70% of the PS3 is playable so you may want to check the compatibility list for the games you are interested in and see if they run.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Easy choice for me, I wasn't interested enough to get a PS4. The only game I missed out on was Bloodborne.

PS3 on the other hand was full of great games and holds great memories playing COD and BFBC2 with friends. It was an era of social gaming, and it was free.

Granted that doesn't really help OP, but the point still stands if OP wants to get a PC and run emulation of PS3's single player games.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Voted PS4 because games run much better on it but there are exclusives that are locked to the PS3 if that is what interests you. Is your emu PC good enough for RPCS3? ~70% of the PS3 is playable so you may want to check the compatibility list for the games you are interested in and see if they run.

It can do ps3 arcade and games like sonic and such, I doubt it could do god of war 3 or something like that

RAIDEN1

Problem with PS4 is it had a woeful "backward compatibility" catalogue when there was talk that they were bringing back some PS2 games to that system, on top of that some of the screenshots shared on this thread explain it all, PS3 was where it was at; The last great Bond game, Motostorm series, Resistance series, the last great Ridge Racer, the last great Metal Gear game -(MGS 5 is nowhere near as good as 4, open-world be damned..) the last time there was some great PES games as well...PS4 doesn't have anything on those games mentioned above, much less the state-of-the-art PS5

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean how the color palettes of games was dulled out or grey. Like resident evil 4 or MGS3.
That's probably because of games being lower than your TVs native resolution. Back then I had a 1080p Bravia so it wasn't as stand out as some other TVs but I could definitely tell the difference when a game was outputting in true 1080p and not.

SScorpio

That's probably because of games being lower than your TVs native resolution. Back then I had a 1080p Bravia so it wasn't as stand out as some other TVs but I could definitely tell the difference when a game was outputting in true 1080p and not.
I think it's more that this was the era of the brown / piss filters where everything was just dull colors that had a brown or yellow filter on top making everything muted.

And some games did target 1080p, but the PS3 really was more of a 720p system. That's why new scalers that support HDMI like the RetroTink 4K and Morph 4K are exciting because you can do a clean 720p -> 4K versus all the extra processing modern TVs do. But those are $400-700. So if you are on a budget, those really aren't something you'd get.

If you can find a OG fatty PS3…. That be cool plus you can play PS1 games.
If not, just go with the last model PS3, some stellar exclusives to be had still.

Bojji

I mean how the color palettes of games was dulled out or grey. Like resident evil 4 or MGS3.

I don't know, maybe it's developers fault. PS3 has basic capabilities of 7800GT GPU when it comes to display.

If you can find a OG fatty PS3…. That be cool plus you can play PS1 games.
If not, just go with the last model PS3, some stellar exclusives to be had still.

Every PS3 has full BC with PS1 games. FAT PS3s are big, noisy and time bombs - all of them have failed (and rebailed) or will fail.

Slim 25xx, 3xxx and Super Slim systems are most reliable but SS is ugly and super noisy with disc inside.

Last edited:

sachos

It can do ps3 arcade and games like sonic and such, I doubt it could do god of war 3 or something like that
God of War 3 is not officially playable yet though. Yeah if you want to play that you will need either of the consoles.

SkylineRKR

PS3 honestly doesn't look that bad. The framerates are terrible in quite a bit of games but even then I still had a ton of fun with Resistance 3 despite its low IQ and fps and this game is sort of the lower end. Atmosphere is spot on though.

But if you play something like RR7, Driver SF or VT3 on it, you might be surprised at how good it looks and those games maintain 60fps.

Sure many games are remastered by now, but if you want to play Motorstorm, Infamous, A crack in Time, Tekken 5 DR you name it, then there is no real other way besides streaming or emulators. And you can sign up for the JP store, and buy tons of PS1 classics too.

Chinese retro handhelds can play PS2 now, just get one of those. PS3/360 are the first "modern" consoles, most of the good games are available as remasters on PS4/PS5 (MGS4 is the only major exception I can think of).

SHA

If trilogies are the golden standard, not just for exclusives, then it's obvious which one is it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS5 so that you can play PS4 games at their best. PS3 is hard to go back to these days, a lot of sub-HD, sub-30fps games with tons of screen tearing.

RoboCain

PS5 for PS4 content, PC for PS1-3. PS3 is cool but its performance hasn't aged well.

Now, if you are really tired of modern games, your answer is PS2. It has endless possibilities when it comes to niches games and genres.

BlackTron

PS3 for the library. But if you're wanting to play them on a 4k tv i would buy a ps4 and emulate the ps3 library.

This. The PS3 is actually the newest "retro system" hooked up to my CRT. I find the experience less offensively janky there. Plus PS1 games lol

Majormaxxx

Sadly the tablet targeted Jaguar were just too weak to emulate it. And I can't see Sony going the Microsoft route on recompiling games to work on their new system.
Yeah I didn't mean emulation... Sadly that's not possible.. But in an alternate universe 1080p ps3 games would have been awesome. What if there were a ps3 pro lol

SScorpio

Yeah I didn't mean emulation... Sadly that's not possible.. But in an alternate universe 1080p ps3 games would have been awesome. What if there were a ps3 pro lol
Sony kinda did this already with the PS3 games that were remastered like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, and the Last of Us Remaster. Sega brought Yakuza 3-5.

But they missed so much like the Infamous games, and they had ports of Jak, Ratchet, and Sly trilogies. But then only just released emulated PS2 version of Jak on PS4. There was also soo much on PSN that's just trapped there. I ended up rebuying what I could on the Xbox

Top Bottom