• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Firmware 4.20

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm no programmer or engineer, but wouldn't introducing the copying of multiple items simultaneously require only a few extra lines of code? Surely that could fit into a tiny 40MB memory footprint no matter what?

I wasn't referring to just the "features" we are getting in this update but to the ones people always say they want, and i mentioned the footprint reduction not because of the small features that require code tweaking but to point out that they have done a lot to the OS already and to bring up the point they probably don't want to mess with it too much as it is.

I think it was only a few updates ago that they managed to block people using their own HDD for no reason and had to update it again to fix the problem that crept up out of nowhere.

Sony aren't a software company and it isn't their strong suit, and they sure don't have the engineers that MS do to fit all the changes and features that they managed to fit into the smaller footprint the 360 uses.

jakeellis01

Edit: Any yeah, what is the source of this info?

No source means major sites can't copy this news, lol

It's fake isn't it??

updated OP

Ds4Az.png

I know you can have double/triple/quadruple dip titles, but how do you get Gravity Rush onto that PS3 list and state it as VITA title (you know make it stand out)

Also does Sony want to go through the trouble doing it

Already done .. just look at your trophies on the official Sony website.

I have Vita trophies on the same list WItha "PS VITA" below , "PS3" for the rest.
On ps3 , i dunno , just display the title in another color, or under another tab with (triangle ) .

there are plenty of ways to do it ..without breaking the existing design ...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is this the update which brings back otherOS?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good update for those of us with the headphones. The mic volume has been driving me nuts since it was added and the virtual surround for movies will be awesome.

patsu

you can do that by pressing triangle and group contents.

It only works for installed PSP games but not for PSP Install bubbles. These install bubbles are needed to copy PSP games to a Vita.

It uses a usb dongle so as far as I know, just ps3 and pc. Stereo only on pc. $99 normally, $85 on amazon. The headset coming out this fall will support more devices, but it's $149.

Hmph, will check the $149 one out.

Melchiah

- When the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. Select [Sidetone] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings].
--o Off: Disable microphone audio from the headset
--o 1-5: Enable microphone audio from the headset

- Virtual surround sound functionality enabled for the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) for Blu-ray or DVD movies, giving you a superior audio experience.

Fuck yeah! Bought the headset a few months ago, and these two things have been my only gripes with it.

patsu

4D was already added and demonstrated during APOCALYPS3. How else would the problem go away by itself the next day ?

Sony aren't a software company and it isn't their strong suit, and they sure don't have the engineers that MS do to fit all the changes and features that they managed to fit into the smaller footprint the 360 uses.

Which makes me wonder: Why won't they hire more people that ARE skilled in this regard, so they can form their own team and deal with these kind of things?

Or, alternatively, why don't they outsource it to a company (or BUY a company) that specializes in this field?

patsu

Which makes me wonder: Why won't they hire more people that ARE skilled in this regard, so they can form their own team and deal with these kind of things?

Or, alternatively, why don't they outsource it to a company (or BUY a company) that specializes in this field?

They have people who are skilled in OS development but probably not at the scale of Apple, Google and MS.

PS3 OS and OtherOS were created with IBM's assistance.

For UI challenges, they probably need a bigger and more powerful UI team, as well as product marketing folks.

However for some of the lower level issues, it's easier to design from the ground up to address. Sony also allows developers to program closer to the metal, which makes changes harder.

MS has years of existing software and teams they can port/bring to 360. The lucrative Windows business sustain the software team.

Sony need to build and grow new platform software teams slowly. But they do spend a lot on building up game studios though. Those are software and content companies.

I love it how everyone on that PSBlog either has PSN+ or a paid avatar. Sony has these people by the balls.

They had everyone "by the balls" when they gave us awesome content for our money. Its not like they're forcing you to subscribe by say... locking out online gaming.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Still baffled that they can't implement alphabetical sorting for games. That frustrates me to no end.

But at least this fixed one of my gripes.

patsu

Does the web browser score more than a 3DS in the acid3 test yet?

It has since February, or is the 3DS higher than 92/100? PS3 is 99/100 last I checked.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm sure you could get jeff_rigby to explain how there's going to be a major overhaul in the fall, but he was saying that last year too. And even if there is a huge update, it'll still probably have the XMB as the interface.

I just checked.

PS3 web browser is now 100/100 in ACID3 test.

However html5test.com fails to show up. ^_^
Perhaps they changed the tests (Now total score is 500 instead of 475).
The 4.10 WebKit browser scored 80/475 according to the GAF Firmware 4.10 thread.

Before the 4.10 WebKit browser, PS3 scored 1/475 in html5test.com and 29/100 in ACID3.

Browser feels even faster now. Not sure if it's placebo.

Still baffled that they can't implement alphabetical sorting for games. That frustrates me to no end.

But at least this fixed one of my gripes.

The PS3 still has a few years left in it. I suppose I'm being somewhat optimistic, but I do think that Sony is going to be gradually tweaking the XMB for the better. I'm still totally expecting them to add things like sub-folders, better file sorting, and other general UI changes before the console is done.

I just checked.

The 4.10 WebKit browser scored 80/475 according to the GAF Firmware 4.10 thread.

Before the 4.10 WebKit browser, PS3 scored 1/475 in html5test.com and 29/100 in ACID3.

Somewhere Jeff ruby is stroking his chin and nodding approvingly.

androvsky

I just checked.

Browser does feel faster, but youtube says it doesn't support html5 video yet. I couldn't get html5test to load either.

Top Bottom