• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and PS4 Pro Owners, is the upgrade worth the cost? Why or why not?

Poona

I don't think so.

If I could rewind back the hands of time and decide whether I want my white ps4 back when I was last playing games on it, or keep the current ps4 pro, I'd choose to have my white ps4 back.

I only have a 1080p TV. Have played Shadow of Mordor and Ratchet & Clank to see what they're like now I have the pro and it isn't as though I'm wowed by the difference now. Would have been fine to keep plugging on with games how I was previously. That and I feel like I really only paid a bit over $200 or so (the amount I paid after I traded in my previous console in Australia) just so I could now have a poorer colour (I'm missing the white console) and lose all my saved images and video (for some reason the system backup to save them only my saved games, apps and settings got backed up). So yeah I feel like I paid for a loss. Had I known my images and video wouldn't have transferred I definitely would not have done it at least until I had a 4K TV.

Oh and yeah I already had a 2TB hard drive in my white ps4 (which I had previously did a back up and restore on and my images and videos got restored from the 500GB to the 2TB), so it wasn't like I was gaining console space (another loss there going from 2TB to 1TB so I just took out the 1TB and put my 2TB in it's place).

For me it was worth it. Most games i have played since setting the pro have given me cleaner image quality along with a better / more stable frame rate.

Pretty much all i expected and wanted. My old ps4 is now in my wife an I's bedroom giving me an easy way to watch Netflix while she sleeps with wireless headphones from the controller or i can even play a game in bed i i want to or access internet video like giant bomb premium content.

Now this is from my perspective as someone who is fine with spending £330 on such an upgrade for that kind of boost. I however totally get why the upgrade isnt worth it for many. Games still look and run well on the slim to the point i can totally play a round of bf1 in the bedroom on the OG PS4 and be fine with it.

The pro is easily a luxury and not a necessity. But its a luxury i am personally be happy to pay for.

Yes, supersampling, higher res (even on 1080p for certain games like The Witness), more effects and/or better performance in certain games and it comes with better Wi-Fi, the new DS4 and a larger hard drive. Mine is quiet as well, luckily.

Happy owner.

No. The actual improvements on screen are negligible. I can see them if I specifically look for them or compare them side by side but I'm not doing that as I just play the game so I don't care. And as there are no exclusive games I really have no reason to buy. Similarly, I'll probably get an XO at some point but it will almost certainly be an an S not a Scorpio.

dyergram

I had a launch ps4 it wasn't going to last forever (I assume). I doubled my hdd and games are now higher res. My tv is 4k but not hdr so they are for the most part just higher res. TF2 and BF1 and Dishonoured 2 all look fantastic but I didn't play them on my old system so I don't really have a comparison point. The UI looks crisp as heck and seems to be smoother overall It cost me £160 and seems like the slight upgrade I was expecting.

TheYanger

OP is asking us PS4 Pro owners. Well, this is my answer. On larger 1080p / Full HD TVs, I can see a clear difference. Night and day for me. Just like I saw the differences back then, when the 720p->1080p or even 900p->1080p comparisons popped up. I'm not here to sell console to some random casual gamers. OP asked a question and current Pro owners, like me, replied.

People being happy with their Pro purchase / people seing clear differences seems to seriously bother you.

I don't give a crap if you're happy. That's great, everyone should be happy. But you're basically dismissing everyone claiming that the difference on 1080p screens is almost nonexistant as 'oh it's just people acting like you can't see a difference' - which is frankly insulting. Lots of people can see the difference between 900p and 1080p. higher res downsampled to 1080p vs normal ass 1080p though are not the same situation, you can't just claim "Oh I notice the difference cause I'm an expert" when it is LITERALLY just a better form of anti aliasing. It's not like you can see 'between' the pixels and notice that it's rendering at 1440 or something if it's still a 1080 screen.

It's a PS4 with more HD space and better IQ. Not going to set anyone's pants on fire. Personally, I'm quite disappointed with mine. It's a bit of a lemon imo.

Putting so much extra GPU power into better IQ while still at 30fps makes next to no sense to me. I wish the machine had a better CPU.

On 1080p it was a bullshot upgrade. That alone made it worth for me. I played a bit of Final Fantasy XV this morning on my new 4k TV and it's absolutely worth it for that.

Kudo

I bought mine solely with Nioh in mind, I have 1440p IPS screen.
Currently, it's very big regret of mine, such an expensive upgrade but I'm sure Nioh will redeem it for me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Way worth it.

I'd much rather own 2 less games, and have all of the games I do own look much much better.

I have both my PS4 and my Pro. And have both a 4K and a 1080p Samsung. Both flagship models.

PS4 Pro is a fantastic improvement on both models.

Own a 1080p set and not upgrading for the next few years? No.

Own or will own a 4k set soon? Yes.

Own a PSVR set? YES!

Own a PSVR+4KHDTV? What the fuck are you waiting for??

TheYanger

Way worth it.

I'd much rather own 2 less games, and have all of the games I do own look much much better.

I have both my PS4 and my Pro. And have both a 4K and a 1080p Samsung. Both flagship models.

If you're a current owner, it costs more than 2 games to upgrade. The question isn't if it's worth buying a pro rather than a base ps4 (Whcih seems like an OBVIOUS yes to me), but if it is wortha current owner to go drop 300+ more to get one. You're looking at at least 200 bucks to do that, even with your trade in value for a ps4.

From someone that's just purchased a PS4 standard and has an Xbox one I'm not buying into this half generation "upgrade" it's nice we have the option but I'm not interested.

I got my standard PS4 for a steal of price I could have waited another month and spent an extra 200 to get a pro but to me the standard model is fine, also did I mention I own an Xb1? Lol.

Oh and MS can fuck off too with the whole 4K tv is mandatory, no thanks I'll wait a few more years till the next actual gen and spend half the money to buy one.

Surfheart

If I didn't have vr, which I feel the pro has made significant improvements to, I would have felt that it wasn't worth it. Except for a couple of games where performance has been improved, the visual differences to games on a1080p tv are, for me, incredibly subtle.

Cleve

Given that it was a $150 upgrade, and I do have a 4k set I think it's very worth it. The difference in IQ is very noticeable to me. It also makes a huge impact in VR games.

I don't know why so many people bought it sight unseen expecting 60fps miracles. It's still got a wimpy cpu and memory bandwidth that's just not where it needs to be.

keezy

I don't have a 4k TV and I'd say it's worth it.

BF1s performance is absolutely terrible on PS4. The frame rate is highly inconsistent and the resolution would scale in some battles which made it look like I was playing minecraft. The PS4 Pro seems to maintain a constant resolution on every map.. Although the frame rate is still pretty poor.

It's a PS4 with more HD space and better IQ. Not going to set anyone's pants on fire. Personally, I'm quite disappointed with mine. It's a bit of a lemon imo.

Putting so much extra GPU power into better IQ while still at 30fps makes next to no sense to me. I wish the machine had a better CPU.

You sold yourself a dream expecting all 60fps games with the Pro.
Seems like you didn't do all that much research before buying?

OléGunner;225755740 said:
You sold yourself a dream expecting all 60fps games with the Pro.
Seems like you didn't do all that much research before buying?
I bought it because I didn't have a PS4 currently. But yes, it wasn't the most rational purchase I've ever made.

pswii60

Based on what we have so far, I'd say that Pro has been a disappointment. Especially when games like TLOU run WORSE than they did on my OG PS4. It's a crime that there's no 'OG' option when needed.

That said, it's early days, and providing Pro sells well then we'll see support improve and developers take better advantage of the additional power. I'm still glad I upgraded, just a little frustrated.

Tomb Raider at 4K looks phenomenal though.

RudoIudo

As a former D1 ps4 owner (I traded it in + 200 Euro ) I'd say is worth it.

In my view for that prize I got:
-double hdd size
-WAY better wi-fi
-F**KING PHYSICAL POWER ON AND EJECT
-2 year warranty
-A brand new controller
-"premium" HDMI cable

In my opinion these features alone are already worth more than half of the upgrade cost.

If you consider the extra power and better loadings it was a no-brainer for me (since it also delayed my need of a gaming pc).

Upgrading from a 1tb-ps4 or a slim is a little bit tricky tho but still worth if you manage to sell them for a good price.

Raylan

Banned
I don't give a crap if you're happy. That's great, everyone should be happy. But you're basically dismissing everyone claiming that the difference on 1080p screens is almost nonexistant as 'oh it's just people acting like you can't see a difference' - which is frankly insulting. Lots of people can see the difference between 900p and 1080p. higher res downsampled to 1080p vs normal ass 1080p though are not the same situation, you can't just claim "Oh I notice the difference cause I'm an expert" when it is LITERALLY just a better form of anti aliasing. It's not like you can see 'between' the pixels and notice that it's rendering at 1440 or something if it's still a 1080 screen.
You are talking about stuff that I never said. Seems like it does really bother you.
I simply said what I can clearly see on my TV. And I said it remembers me of the good old 720/1080p comparison.
Again: OP asked me, as a Pro owner and I replied. I don't care if you (or whoever) can't see a difference. I never talked about you, or for others. You are the one who's angry here. Check your latest posts here in this thread.

Again: This topic here clearly bothers you, for whatever reason.

Fliesen

As a former D1 ps4 owner (I traded it in + 200 Euro ) I'd say is worth it.

In my view for that prize I got:
-double hdd size
-WAY better wi-fi
-F**KING PHYSICAL POWER ON AND EJECT
-2 year warranty
-A brand new controller
-"premium" HDMI cable

In my opinion these features alone are already worth more than half of the upgrade cost.

If you consider the extra power and better loadings it was a no-brainer for me (since it also delayed my need of a gaming pc).

Upgrading from a 1tb-ps4 or a slim is a little bit tricky tho but still worth if you manage to sell them for a good price.

- a fucking USB port on the back of the device. (where you can plug in your PSVR or your headset dongle)

I bought it because I didn't have a PS4 currently. But yes, it wasn't the most rational purchase I've ever made.

I hope you still manage to get some decent use out of it.
Some tasty exclusives coming in the next few months, barring annoying delays (assumed your mostly a PC player)

I had the pro for a week with my 1080p tv before got my 65 inch Ks8000.

Not worth it for 1080p tv. Very little difference in the games I've tried.

Worth it for psvr and 1080p tv. The changes in vr games were big enough for me.

Obviously worth it with 4k tv regardless of owning vr.

This post summarizes it good

@Wreck

I am too broke to buy a PS4 Pro at the moment, so I went with a PS4 Slim for $215.

The cheapest I could have gotten a Pro for that I have seen so far is $343. I just couldn't justify spending an extra $125 on a Pro, particularly since I'm still on a 1080p set.

The 1TB hard drive vs the 500GB hard drive is also a moot point for me since I already run off a 2TB drive.

So for owners of the Pro, do you really notice a difference as you play compared to your normal PS4? If you could post what kind of TV (1080p or 4K) you're on that would also be helpful. Also if you just got a new LG OLED or something along with your PS4 Pro, I don't want to hear about how amazing your PS4 Pro looks. Of course it will along with your brand new TV...I'm just looking for PS4 to PS4 Pro impressions.

the pro has been good faster load times and quite i have OG and Pro also have a Vizio M43-C1

the pro buttons are better the power cord is more robust but for some reason no ground?

if this a good future proof buy if you're into that, i do use the optical out so thats a nice plus

these current games were not developed with the pro in the eco system, so when that next round comes it should look and run even better imo

this is what i see in my bubble

Ah that's why I notice it more on the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer as that was 900p and now 1080p on the Pro. Makes sense now.

Way worth it.

Costs a lot more than 2 games, more like 4-6+ but if you're happy that's all that matters at the end of the day though.

I'd have to disagree totally though about the 1080p screen. Perhaps you're playing more games than me that have sub 1080p and are now 1080p on the Pro.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Yes, i can never go back to regular ps4. I bought a 4k tv too and the difference is pretty damn big. Uncharted 4 is graphically insane, and Warframe's godlike performance and clarity have sealed it for me.

I also had it before the 4k tv, not nearly as dramatic of a visual increase but the performance was still a big leap to me.

OsirisBlack

Banned

So what you're saying is that people cant notice a much sharper image with less jagged edges, better performance, better load times, improved draw distances, better effects and even better texture filtering? Hmm Ok. I have played my pro on a 1080 tv as well as my 4K both are larger than 60 one by a fair margin the difference is night and day all around. I still have my OG ps4 go play Infinite Warfare,R and C, Paragon or FFXV on an OG PS4 at 1080 and then play those exact same games on the PRO at 1080 then tell me you don't see a difference. Ill wait.

upgraded wifi is nice too

For me that's super important, as I use a daily LTE flatrate option (5€) from my mobile provider to download my games. It's so much faster now to download games. 10GB per hour is possible now. Never came anywhere close to that before.

dedhead54

Worth it for me. I bought a 4K TV about a month before it came out and everything looked amazing on it on my PS4 but there was a very noticeable upgrade in IQ when I hooked my Pro up and started playing TLoU, Watch Dogs 2, Ratchet and Clank. I am going to have to double dip and buy the PS4 version of RotTR to experience that with better IQ now.

mike6467

I still have a new one in box sitting here. My most anticipated games in the next six months are FFXV, Persona 5 and Yakuza 0. I sold my day one, but kept my anniversary edition (thank God, considering I'm still working through WoFF). I'm still not sure it's worth the money for me, going to wait a bit longer for the FF impressions to settle down and see if SE does anything immediate.

It's always been 60fps or bust for me, I'll kill graphics as far as necessary on my 980ti to get there. I'd really hoped there would be more options relating to that here, so I can't help but be kind of let down. Really surprised people are saying the screen comparisons are night and day, then turning around and saying that frame rate and frame pacing really shouldn't effect enjoyment. Nothing breaks immersion for me faster then a choppy experience, I don't care how good IQ is.

It has been absolutely worth it for me. When I first picked up my Pro I only had a 1080p TV, but even then, the down sampling on ROTTR was phenomenal. I recently picked up a 4K HDR TV, and damn it is wonderful playing games with Pro patches. I have no regrets.

So what you're saying is that people cant notice a much sharper image with less jagged edges, better performance, better load times, improved draw distances, better effects and even better texture filtering? Hmm Ok. I have played my pro on a 1080 tv as well as my 4K both are larger than 60 one by a fair margin the difference is night and day all around. I still have my OG ps4 go play Infinite Warfare,R and C, Paragon or FFXV on an OG PS4 at 1080 and then play those exact same games on the PRO at 1080 then tell me you don't see a difference. Ill wait.

This post sounds somewhat exaggerated imo. I've got a Pro on a 68" screen @ 1080p and I don't notice any of those things you're talking about. None of them.

- 'Much' sharper screen?
= Nope. Only UC4 Multiplayer looks sharper to my eyes and my Son's (he has excellent eyesight) and this is doing a 3 seconds HDMI switch between the two.

- Less Jagged Edges?
= Yes in TLOU. No difference in R&C, UC4, Skryim.
= I have a shit load of stutter in Skyrim though...you forgot to mention that btw unless you don't own it of course...

- Better Performance?
= See Skyrim, FF15 amongst others...

- Better Load Times?
= Not noticed at all. Do you have any direct comparisons? Are we talking seconds or minutes here or perhaps milliseconds?

- Improved Draw Distances?
= Seen plenty of pop in on Pro enhanced games. Draw distance in Skyrim (which has a very big one) has no improved Draw Distance...

- Better Effects?
= Not noticed anything. Would you like to elaborate?

- Better Texture Filtering?
= Not noticed anything. Would you like to elaborate?

Fair enough you have your opinion but please don't expect everyone to think the same. Same goes for me although I know what my eyes are telling me and they aint telling me the same things yours are, that's for sure...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I never thought i would care about downsampling or AA, but it is absolutely insane how much it cleans up the image on a 1080p TV. I see no jaggies. No shimmering while moving. Just a pristine image quality in nearly everything i have played.

- Battlefield 1 - Has a 20 fps difference over the Vanilla PS4 version. Crystal clear image helping you make out enemies in the distance. if its dropping frames i cant tell. And BF1 is the most chaotic game i have ever played.
- TitanFall 2 - Rock solid 60 fps and crystal clear image helping you make out enemies in the distance.
- Ratchet - No jaggies. Absolutely pixar quality image quality. This is the greatest looking game ever made.
- Tomb Raider. Again no Jaggies at 4k downsampled mode. Or you can play the 60 fps mode. I switched b/w the two modes during combat and went on a 22 headshot spree.
- Hitman - Again the framerate gets a huge boost and the IQ is sublime.

These are all great looking games on the vanilla PS4 but you have no idea how much the jaggies and shimmering effect the game's look. PS4 Pro is basically a bullshot machine. All those 4k downsampled shots we used to see as promotional materials are now playing on our screens. This is literally the greatest console ever made lol.

Scorpio will be even better but next week i will be playing FFXV on higher quality graphics at a rock solid 30 fps. Yes, its worth it.

Lexxism

I'm definitely happy with my B6 + Pro set-up. It all started on an Impulse buy when eb games had a promo for Pro. Definitely cost quite a fortune but I'm going to be good in 3-4 years.

I never thought i would care about downsampling or AA, but it is absolutely insane how much it cleans up the image on a 1080p TV. I see no jaggies. No shimmering while moving. Just a pristine image quality in nearly everything i have played.

- Battlefield 1 - Has a 20 fps difference over the Vanilla PS4 version. Crystal clear image helping you make out enemies in the distance. if its dropping frames i cant tell. And BF1 is the most chaotic game i have ever played.
- TitanFall 2 - Rock solid 60 fps and crystal clear image helping you make out enemies in the distance.
- Ratchet - No jaggies. Absolutely pixar quality image quality. This is the greatest looking game ever made.
- Tomb Raider. Again no Jaggies at 4k downsampled mode. Or you can play the 60 fps mode. I switched b/w the two modes during combat and went on a 22 headshot spree.
- Hitman - Again the framerate gets a huge boost and the IQ is sublime.

These are all great looking games on the vanilla PS4 but you have no idea how much the jaggies and shimmering effect the game's look. PS4 Pro is basically a bullshot machine. All those 4k downsampled shots we used to see as promotional materials are now playing on our screens. This is literally the greatest console ever made lol.

Scorpio will be even better but next week i will be playing FFXV on higher quality graphics at a rock solid 30 fps. Yes, its worth it.

Maybe you're right on BF1 & TF2 but you're certainly not on Ratchet & Clank. There are still jaggies on a 1080p screen and most of the ones that were there before are to do with a patch that is also out on the base PS4.

I just cannot agree to people who are saying the Pro cleans up all jaggies and shimmering making games look like bullshots....nope!

edit:

Anyway I'm out off discussing this any more. I've seen enough and its not adding to the topic. Apologies.

Is the Pro Worth it, lets see

Pro 400
4k TV 1700
PSVR 400
4K/HDR AV Receiver 300
not including tax and shipping & Handling

Games in the hundreds of dollars because of the Pro

Can I tell a difference Hellz Yeah. NBA 2K17 and HDR is sublime, Call of Duty/Titan Fall 2 WOW. RIGS/BattleZone/COD Jackal damn near on Vive/Oculus level of crispness in VR.

No one mentioning the biggest new feature: You can trim video clips without suspending your current game. :D

And they are captured at a higher resolution, so are screenshots.

That's a big one for me. I'm like a tourist wandering around virtual worlds taking photos everywhere.

Morts

I wish my launch PS4 wasn't functioning perfectly so that I could justify an upgrade. I have a 4k TV but haven't seen any 4k content yet. My receiver isn't 4k compatible though so that's another hurdle.

DirtyLarry

Absolutely 110% worth it. The difference in Battlefield 1 has been pretty much enough to justify it for myself, and I am actually playing BF1 as much on the Pro as I do on PC, which has never happened with a BF title in the past (I always double dip for friends on consoles).

The way I looked at it as I just purchased a new GPU for my PC. Except it was not my PC and my PS4. That has helped me justify the purchase in my head, but I do without any doubt whatsoever notice the improvement in visuals then performance, in that order.

Absolutely 110% worth it. The difference in Battlefield 1 has been pretty much enough to justify it for myself, and I am actually playing BF1 as much on the Pro as I do on PC, which has never happened with a BF title in the past (I always double dip for friends on consoles).

The way I looked at it as I just purchased a new GPU for my PC. Except it was not my PC and my PS4. That has helped me justify the purchase in my head, but I do without any doubt whatsoever notice the improvement in visuals then performance, in that order.

Bf1 does look shockingly good on the pro. We are getting to a point of diminishing returns though.

rawd

Yes worth it if you appreciate the graphical upgrade.

1080p looks so good. It's pushed out my purchase of a 4K tv set to an even farther date cuz I'm enjoying how good ten eight pee looks.

Based on what we have so far, I'd say that Pro has been a disappointment. Especially when games like TLOU run WORSE than they did on my OG PS4. It's a crime that there's no 'OG' option when needed.

That said, it's early days, and providing Pro sells well then we'll see support improve and developers take better advantage of the additional power. I'm still glad I upgraded, just a little frustrated.

Tomb Raider at 4K looks phenomenal though.

The thing is that I think saying things like TLOU run worse is misleading. Hell even saying it about deus ex was kinda unfair. The ran at a much better resolution and mostly ran exactly the same.

With TLOU in 30fps mode it runs at locked 30 and way higher resolution than 30fps mode on PS4. On high frame rate mode it still runs at a way better resolution and for the most part runs at the same framerate. Its just here and there it drops to say 51 fps as opposed to 54fps for a very short period of time.

With DE when DF did further testing it turns out it actually pretty much ran the same or better but at a much better resolution with the odd strange moment of dropping really low for a second or 2. However since the patch it just all round runs better.

In almost all cases, games on the pro run in a much higher resolution and at either the same or better frame rate. Some even have addition visuals. BF1 is the one that ticks the box on all 3 and is quite noticably better.

However a lot of people got the wrong idea about what to expect with this console and many still think the Scorpio will be different. They are mainly to account for the rise in 4k TVs and that take a lot of addition power for that alone. At best the Scorpio will get even closer to notive 4k than the PS4 Pro and look and run about the same as the Pro in all other regards.

The plus side of all this is that if a new gen arrives in 3-4 years then the whole resolution bump thing will have already been accounted for and we might see a better bump in other visuals instead.

dcx4610

If you have a 4K TV with HDR, perhaps. If you have expendable income, maybe. If you have VR and want a slight bump in quality, maybe. If you don't already have a PS4 and can afford it, definitely. Otherwise, no.

I bought mine because I have a 4K TV and wanted to get credit for my existing PS4 while I could. Considering how cheap the PS4 got on Black Friday, I wanted to get the $150 trade while I could.

Just sold my PS4 and bought a pro, don't have a 4k TV or that many games but I consider it an investment in the future (TLG, HZD and especially Spiderman), plus I had the money.

Happy so far with the supersampled games I've played, great IQ.

lum0s

Banned
If you have a 4k TV it might be worth it, if not then don't bother. The upgrades are negligible otherwise.

Got mine yesterday from Amazon after the $340 sale. Bigger HDD, better WiFi card and better graphics was too much to resist, not to mention future proofing in case I get a 4KTV soon.

Ratchet and Clank is gorgeous.

Top Bottom