• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Tweaked my controller shop

Vita buttons

K5ApBNu.jpg

Very nice, maybe the two handles should be a little longer and more spaced out.

MYE

This is very rough but its more or less the ergonomics I had in mind for the back.
The curved sides in the back are there to compensate the added chunkiness of the grips

...this is fun.

Alex

I've never understood the point of rumble, its completely unimportant to me

The implementation in the Wii U pad seems especially pointless, as its very weak and kinda noisy.

dude404

Touch pad for a controller is not a great idea, I rather they add cost to beef up the power of the console instead.

tbh I was hoping Sony would go balls-out-crazy next gen and make a completely new controller, just to shake things up a bit.

I'm all for keeping things traditional though.

Jack_AG

Banned
Touch pad for a controller is not a great idea, I rather they add cost to beef up the power of the console instead.
I doubt an extra 5mb of RAM would accomplish anything. A straight touchpad is actually cheap.

Fake Edit: probably beaten.

Edit: yup

Teletraan1

Banned
Huh, why not a screen, to save a penny? A touchscreen can do anything a touchpad can (location context swipes, presses, cursor control, etc), a touchpad can't do everything a touchscreen can (you can't visually separate it into precise locations to use for as multiple hotkeys in an MMORPG, a virtual keyboard, direct interaction with screen elements, etc). Or is it on its back?

How many pennies to drive content to a screen?

tbh I was hoping Sony would go balls-out-crazy next gen and make a completely new controller, just to shake things up a bit.

I'm all for keeping things traditional though.

A complete change up would piss the f out of a lot of people.

I still want to just hold the boomerang. Just once.

This is very rough but its more or less the ergonomics I had in mind for the back.
The curved sides in the back are there to compensate the added chunkiness of the grips

...this is fun.

Excellent. Love it. Can you increase the handles, or something? Controller looks a little "fat" if that makes sense.

What is that on the back, though?

beast786

couple of questions?

What about the rumor regarding vitality sensor stuff?

Why can't we have more sizes or different layouts ? why are confied to only one type?

different size people should have a choice of s/m/l etc

EDIT: I am glad no screen on this, I hate it when force to look at my controller instead of my tv where action .looking up and down and up and down becomes pain in the ass, the only some what thing I liked in WiiU was off tv play option.

Surf the web.

Finger gestures.

Writing.

jsnkKGB.png

Looks like the scribble pad came back with a vengeance.

Writing is probably fairly difficult without having a screen to look at directly.

I guess it depends on how accurate it is.

I wonder if it will ever be used for games and not just OS/browsing functions.

clav

Writing is probably fairly difficult without having a screen to look at directly.

I guess it depends on how accurate it is.

I wonder if it will ever be used for games and not just OS/browsing functions.

Writing Asian characters will be particularly useful.

Expect online social networking to be a big thing.

Tweaked my controller shop

zsMBdrk.jpg

Vita buttons

K5ApBNu.jpg

Scale comparison

tmXNJi2.jpg

i'm perfectly ok with this. as a matter of fact, i'm very ok with this. new stuff without losing the traditional shape and function.

send it to Sony for tweaking ;)

edit: can you make it black? just to see how it holds up visually.

knitoe

A touchpad without a screen as a spatial reference can really only be use as a cursor. I don't really see the point.

Orayn

A touchpad without a screen as a reference can really only be use as a cursor. I don't really see the point.

Gesture controls and scrolling could be pretty nice to have. If nothing else, it would provide more options for games with more congested control schemes.

Some people, myself included, think they can be awesome when used well. Pointer aiming in particular is so much better than aiming with an analog stick that it isn't even funny.

I agree.

Gesture controls and scrolling could be pretty nice to have. If nothing else, it would provide more options for games with more congested control schemes.

Like what, though?

Orayn

Like what, though?

I was thinking of scrolling through available weapons/items by swiping up/down on the far left or right side of the trackpad.

You could also just use it as a first-order camera control for pinpoint aiming rather than turning large amounts.

watershed

Banned
I'm not really sold on the great uses of a track pad and I'm not really looking forward to the part of the conference where Sony tries to show off how "innovative" it is. Its gonna be the ps vita rear touch pad demos all over again.

I'm not really sold on the great uses of a track pad and I'm not really looking forward to the part of the conference where Sony tries to show off how "innovative" it is. Its gonna the the ps vita rear touch pad demos all over again.

Yeah, it's probably gonna get minimal use just like Sixaxis. But I'm fine with that; I prefer this rather than a major change to the controller just for the sake of being different.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm not really sold on the great uses of a track pad and I'm not really looking forward to the part of the conference where Sony tries to show off how "innovative" it is. Its gonna the the ps vita rear touch pad demos all over again.
There is no way to have proper "touch" accuracy without a screen, however, swiping can still be utilized to great effect.

I think it intentionally minimalistic - swiping is simple enough you don't need to look at what you are doing, no need to break immersion to look at your controller.

No need to complicate what works - controllers are exceedingly simple devices. Adding swipe gestures sticks with that theme - simple and intuitive, low learning curve, you keep staring at the TV like you always do, etc. Familiar yet just enough "newness" to make it interesting without over-complication.

As do I, wholeheartedly.

I despise aiming with thumb sticks and I don't enjoy playing games with mice. No option for pointer controls will be a massive disappointment for me.

Pretty much. Pointer controlls>>>Dual analog sticks. I really wanted Sony to go with a break apart Move style controller. But unfortunately it looks like we'll be stuck with more antiquated input devices.

ds4.jpg

ds42riug5.png

K5ApBNu.jpg

Either one of those and I'm in love. Hell you can keep the controller the way it is and I'm fine. Just put some grip on those back buttons. I hate being in an intense moment, then my finger slips lol.

Top Bottom