• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Ravage

swype.jpg

A visual presentation of what i was trying to propose.

Oxirane

I guess it depends on how accurate you can be on whatever size touchpad is included.
Maybe if you always start the line at a fixed spot then move it to the first letter of the word you want to type using the screen as a guide.

How do you make the line start on the q?
Is the whole keypad mapped to the touchpad?

Hovering cursor tech could make this work though.

Hm, good point.

What about just gesturing every character on the trackpad? Would need to be very precise, which I dont see apenning

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the controller will be wider but the handles and button areas will be the same size. It doesn't make sense if it's the exact same size. Keep in mind that devs may not have the absolute final controller design yet.

The_Afroman

I suspect the new controller will have all the features of the vita -sans screen. that way one of the features will be to dock/pair your psvita and actually use it as a controller for the PS4. allows them to sell more Vitas, and yet not make it a requirement.

Allows them to mimic WiiU and have multiplayer games like (4 Swords) or features like ZombiU multiplayer (Zombie King) which i might add is some of the most fun i have had in a couch multiplayer setting.

The problem is the touchpad is looking to be only a little bigger than a postage stamp unless they make the controller bigger

That's the only problem, really. Just feels like a total half-ass job if they dont modify the control and just copy paste the trackpad

Jack_AG

Banned
The thumbstick placement in the playstation controller is simple the worst. If they remain both at the bottom, then it will remain the worst controller.
When resting your hands - is one hand balled like a fist? Or do they rest symmetrically?

The offset analog design in the XBOX started because during the PS2 days - primary placement was left analog and right face button. MS shot for resting symmetry because it is a favorable position and didn't change it.

Now most games use both analogs and again, resting symmetry is favorable. My left thumb cramps on my 360 pad - I dont have that with my PS3 pad. Just sayin. Even MS was concerned with symmetry when they designed their controller and nobody bitched then about it. But all of a sudden offset is the way to go now that most games use both analogs? PFFFFFT. Right. Symmetry forever ago is fine. Forced offset this gen - symmetry sucks all of a sudden.

Ravage

I guess it depends on how accurate you can be on whatever size touchpad is included.
Maybe if you always start the line at a fixed spot then move it to the first letter of the word you want to type using the screen as a guide.

The hovering cursor tech would be key i guess. I've no idea how feasible it is to implement though.

The problem is the touchpad is looking to be only a little bigger than a postage stamp unless they make the controller bigger

I just hope Sony knows what they are doing. A tiny touchpad is not going to be useful for anything.

Wouldn't a better and more simple solution just be a connectable or slide out qwerty chat pad?

Using the trackpad would allow every PS4 owner to type without spending extra on a qwerty pad.

MooseKing

Banned
When resting your hands - is one hand balled like a fist? Or do they rest symmetrically?

The offset analog design in the XBOX started because during the PS2 days - primary placement was left analog and right face button. MS shot for resting symmetry because it is a favorable position and didn't change it.

Now most games use both analogs and again, resting symmetry is favorable. My left thumb cramps on my 360 pad - I dont have that with my PS3 pad. Just sayin. Even MS was concerned with symmetry when they designed their controller and nobody bitched then about it. But all of a sudden offset is the way to go now that most games use both analogs? PFFFFFT. Right. Symmetry forever ago is fine. Forced offset this gen - symmetry sucks all of a sudden.

They don't rest with my hands making crip gang signals and my thumbs extended. The controller sucks.

Hieberrr

Wouldn't a better and more simple solution just be a connectable or slide out qwerty chat pad?
Yup. It's pretty much the only viable solution next to using an on-screen KB with the d-pad and face buttons.

Swiping to type can pretty much be ruled out, imo.

Jack_AG

Banned
They don't rest with my hands making crip gang signals and my thumbs extended. The controller sucks.
Nor do they on a dualshock. My hands are large enough i can rest the controller across my palm and i dont have issues with a relaxed resting grip. But for you - don't use it/PS4 if it makes you this upset.

Duffyside

Banned
What I do think is potentially smart about the touchpad (still don't see why we need one at all) is that Sony could sell a peripheral controller that is a WiiU Gamepad knockoff. It would work exactly as the standard controllers, except your could have your PS4 stream to it like the WiiU does, or opt to move your inventory and/or UI to it while playing on the TV.

Though they wouldn't be able to design all games around it like Nintendo can, obviously. I'm speaking merely in the business sense of "hey, we can sell this thing too, and not at a loss."

What I do think is potentially smart about the touchpad (still don't see why we need one at all) is that Sony could sell a peripheral controller that is a WiiU Gamepad knockoff. It would work exactly as the standard controllers, except your could have your PS4 stream to it like the WiiU does, or opt to move your inventory and/or UI to it while playing on the TV.

Though they wouldn't be able to design all games around it like Nintendo can, obviously. I'm speaking merely in the business sense of "hey, we can sell this thing too, and not at a loss."

They already have one of those, it's called a Vita

i rather sony make a controller where they don't have to consider additional accessories to get the "full experience"

a dynamic screen on the controller would be neat. i think it was the razer who make a touchable screen that changes based on games or setting would be cool. big enough to do touch typing, and change settings and show game related content.

one concern obviously would be battery life.

androvsky

I'm going to guess that it's a combination of pauses if the letters are on the same line and changes in direction when they are not.

Pretty much. Works so well that even though I went to extra effort to buy an Android phone with a physical keyboard I almost never use it.

I don't think it'd work very well without direct visual feedback. You have to start with your finger somewhere, and if the keyboard is on the TV, you'll have to move your finger around a bit after touching it in order to get it on the key you want to start with... except you'll already have input a few letters. They'd have to set it up so you hold another button down when you want it to register input as opposed to finding the cursor.

Although I could see them having a keyboard overlay permanently printed onto the touchpad instead of the playstation symbol pattern (or the keyboard only shows up when an LED lights it up when text input is requested). Presumably, if they're going to have a dedicated share button then inputting bits of text quickly and easily is going to be important for adding descriptions and commenting on other's videos. I wouldn't be surprised if text entry is the primary purpose.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

D-d-d-d-d-dayumn. Sony is stepping their game up.

Ravage

Although I could see them having a keyboard overlay permanently printed onto the touchpad instead of the playstation symbol pattern (or the keyboard only shows up when an LED lights it up when text input is requested).

I'd like that, especially the LED idea ;)

Presumably, if they're going to have a dedicated share button then inputting bits of text quickly and easily is going to be important for adding descriptions and commenting on other's videos. I wouldn't be surprised if text entry is the primary purpose.

Text entry was the first thing to pop into my mind when i was thinking of non-gimmicky uses for the trackpad. A competent typing interface is a must if Sony is serious about promoting the social aspects of PS4.

corn_fest

Are your hands not the same? Why does the right stick being below the buttons feel fine for your right hand but the same thing on the left side hurts your left hand?

I would guess it has more to do with the right stick being used very infrequently for most games, while the left analog stick is the most used input on the controller.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All of which you could do with the dpad though. I am having trouble imagining some more practical uses. I feel like putting it on the back, allowing for more simultaneous uses would be more beneficial than on the front where you'd have to take your thumbs off the main controls

Not really - a touchpad would offer you fine grained analog control and the ability to change speeds quickly. You could whizz down a long list, slow down as you get near what you want, and stop just at the right place. I can imagine it being great for LBP or long OS lists

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is no way to have proper "touch" accuracy without a screen, however, swiping can still be utilized to great effect.

I think it intentionally minimalistic - swiping is simple enough you don't need to look at what you are doing, no need to break immersion to look at your controller.

No need to complicate what works - controllers are exceedingly simple devices. Adding swipe gestures sticks with that theme - simple and intuitive, low learning curve, you keep staring at the TV like you always do, etc. Familiar yet just enough "newness" to make it interesting without over-complication.

Of course there is. It's just relative vs absolute. People use trackpads every day on laptops

Top Bottom