• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does not support CD and SACD

But doesn't dvd playback make that moot?

DVD and CD also use different lenses.

Because consumers have already invested agood amount of money in their CD audio and CD-ROM collections, it was considered a top design priority thet DVD palyrs read axisting CDs as well as new disc.To make DVD payers with this ability required specific optical design features. The simplest design is to mount two lenses in a single optical head-one optimized for a 1.2 millimeter-thick substrate and another for a0.6 millimetre-thick one -and then to switch mechanincally from one to the other as needed.

A more elegant solution that emerged uses a single molded optic with a holographic element at its center.Theelement at its center.The light passing throght the outer annulus of the lens is unaffected by the hologram and focuses to a spot size in the plane small enough to be suitable for DVDreadout.About one thid of the readout beam incident onthe centralpart is focused by both the the and the hohgram to aspot suitable for reading pits on the thicker CD.

http://library.thinkquest.org/26171/diffrent.html

Xamdou

PS4 is so advanced that it can't even play regular CD's!

Seriously though doesn't all blu-ray players have CD playback by default?

Doesn't the second paragraph that you quoted indicate that they can actually use the same lens, and now generally do?

This seems like such a strange omission. If basically every DVD lens produced can read CDs as well, isn't it actually more expensive to have a custom lens rather than using the normal off the shelf parts, especially if the latter approach is going to remove a feature that many users take advantage of (through not just music but PS1 games as well)?

I have my PS3 hooked up to my home cinema system (far and away the best speakers in my house) and so use it as my CD player as well. One of the driving reasons I bought a PS3 in the first place was because it meant I could play CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays through a single unit. I play a lot of CDs through it and if the PS4 can't play them it's going to be a royal pain in the arse for me.

I don't see the problem really. The drive is still capable of reading the disc. If Sony aloes open sourced apps or something for their PS4 then someone can just make software to playback CD and SACD. That being said most music is digital now. As long as the PS4 has FLAC and M4A then I will be happy. Once again if those lossless formats aren't available, then someone will make it so in the future.

Bittercup

You must be joking. lol.

But, no...no backward compatibility. At all. It's been repeated like a thousand times since they announced PS4 this past week.
I have seen this repeated many times over but is there a source to it?
I only heard the "no PS3 BC" David Perry said during the Playstation meeting and later confirmed by Yoshida but no official word about PS1 or PS2.

Doesn't the second paragraph that you quoted indicate that they can actually use the same lens, and now generally do?

This seems like such a strange omission. If basically every DVD lens produced can read CDs as well, isn't it actually more expensive to have a custom lens rather than using the normal off the shelf parts, especially if the latter approach is going to remove a feature that many users take advantage of (through not just music but PS1 games as well)?

I have my PS3 hooked up to my home cinema system (far and away the best speakers in my house) and so use it as my CD player as well. One of the driving reasons I bought a PS3 in the first place was because it meant I could play CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays through a single unit. I play a lot of CDs through it and if the PS4 can't play them it's going to be a royal pain in the arse for me.

It says you can use the same lens if you use a special lens with a holographic center. I can only speculate why Sony is not doing that. It must make the design simpler or cheaper in some significant way.

Ah, thanks.

Still, will this be the only blu ray player that can't read cd's?

Probably? It's weird.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
CD support is irrelevant because you should be ripping them to PCs (perhaps in lossless or WAV), and streaming/moving the files to wherever you need.

SACD support is irrelevant because it's SACD... who even has those?

That said, I have a 60gb PS3 for the blue moon that I actually want to play CD and/or SACDs.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Good idea. Save up front costs, reduce the amount of warranty repairs. My PC can't read punch cards either.

CD support is irrelevant because you should be ripping them to PCs (perhaps in lossless or WAV), and streaming/moving the files to wherever you need.
I should be pushing the disc into my PS4 and pressing play. This goes not only for CDs but DVDs and Blu-rays as well.

If I'm going to buy a new device I want it to make my life easier, not harder.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
weird, but i guess it doesnt matter. if there's no PS1 compatibility, it shouldnt matter.

i guess they can always add it back in since Blu-ray drives are compatible with them hardware-wise

We're never going to see a 'it does everything' console like the PS3 again, are we?

Looking back, the (SACD compatible) PS3 played back an amazing amount of formats and file types.

Top Bottom