• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 download speed. Comcast. 40-59 Mbps. PC 80-85 Mbps. How to fix?

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't think you understand what im saying. I'm saying specifically go into speed test and CHOOSE a server that is the same geographic location as where the PSN servers reside and NOT to let speed test choose the default nearest server. That way you get an accurate comparison of like-for-like pathway from source to destination.

In other words, I'm quite sure my speed test default to a server in San Diego is going to be faster than testing a server in New York. Test to the city where PSN resides. I don't know where that is, but you are obviously wanting an accurate accounting of speed difference and this is the only way it will be accurate.

Pretty sure the PS4 is testing to THEIR server and not the same nearby server the PC speed test is choosing.

The hell are you tlaking about?

Distance isn't going to change speed. It'll only change latency.

squadr0n

This has become a huge issue lately among my household. I dont think its mainly the PS4s fault, as when I first got mine the download speeds were amazing compared to the XBone especially. We live in a smaller area with only one cable provider, Suddenlink, and they have a monthly download cap at 250 gigs a month. The first month this began we went over just from normal usage; Netflix, online gaming and the occasional MMO, and just downloading updates on Steam and PSN. After we started noticing problems with the connection they told us our internet was turned off and we had to pay extra just for another 50 gigs.

After this I started tracking all the internet usage in the house. How much bandwidth is being used when and where and see if I can locate any large offenders or leaks if you will. Obviously streaming is a huge problem at High quality so we stopped that most of the week. If we do happen to get anywhere near 50gigs though I noticed they start throttling the bandwidth to a slow crawl. It has become such a huge problem that anything I need to download I have to do it at work and transfer it to my pc at home. Online games that I used to play for hours and hours are now after thoughts due to the lag from the connection being throttled. If I try to play Bloodborne on PS4 I have to do it offline for fear of someone trying to invade me just so I can be sent back to the game's homescreen. Its ridiculous.

Something needs to be done to the Cable industry and its practices. This bandwidth cap is just another way for them to charge people extra even after we already pay for the highest speed available. I cant be the only one who just cant/wont play games that they used too or purchase online for fear of this crap. How was this download only industry supposed to work if the pipeline is so small they have to resort to these kinds of tactics.

PSN speeds have always been shit, so I don't see how it's a PS4-centric glitch.

Not true, PSN downloads maxed my connection from 2007 (when I bought a PS3) to 2014 (2.0 fw). I have a 35mb connection and it was unbelievably consistent for 7 years, more so than Steam which always seems to stop dead every few minutes for me and fluctuate wildly.

It's not even completely because PSN servers are slow, I've directly downloaded a file from it onto my PC and it downloaded at full speed (~60Mbps, 7-8MB/s ) but when I did it from my console it still generally tops out at ~12Mbps. Unless it's due to the direct download not going from some other route before going to the console anyway. Granted my experience is only with PS3 and Vita currently but meh...

KyleCross

Not true, PSN downloads maxed my connection from 2007 (when I bought a PS3) to 2014 (2.0 fw). I have a 35mb connection and it was unbelievably consistent for 7 years, more so than Steam which always seems to stop dead every few minutes for me and fluctuate wildly.

Well I've been on PSN since 2009 and it has always butchered my connection speed, and this has been over different ISPs, equipment, and even locations. I've seen far more people stating the same than I have people stating the opposite. Sorry, but I refuse to believe that this is a recent issue because it's not.

Melchiah

My ps4 can never break the 30down 6up barrier, and my internet is 200down 20up. Its been in the 20-30mb down 4-6up range since I bought the system at launch.

Just checked, and there seems to have been a slight increase since the last patch on my end.

bamx6wVl.jpg

czcuhVOl.jpg

The PSN test used to give ~67Mbps download speed at max on my 100-70/10-4Mbps wired connection.

farisr

That's pretty much the max the PS4 downloads at from PSN. I say the PS4 because PS3 gets even slower speeds on average, and the PC, using a download manager, can download files from the Sony servers a lot faster (talking about downloading PS4 firmware updates).

So I've concluded whatever download method is implemented on the ps4, is limiting it to that speed,much like the download method on the ps3 was limiting it to even slower speeds.

I can sometimes get fast speeds on the PS4, then it just tanks and drags its feet along in the speeds. I sometimes have to make it check the network connection to make it stop acting up.

Melchiah

That's pretty much the max the PS4 downloads at from PSN. I say the PS4 because PS3 gets even slower speeds on average, and the PC, using a download manager, can download files from the Sony servers a lot faster (talking about downloading PS4 firmware updates).

So I've concluded whatever download method is implemented on the ps4, is limiting it to that speed,much like the download method on the ps3 was limiting it to even slower speeds.

Yeah, the max download speed on PS3's network test was about 35Mbps IIRC, a half of of the PS4's speed, on the same connection.

le-seb

Distance isn't going to change speed. It'll only change latency.
And increased latency will limit the speed at which TCP acknowledgements can be sent back to the server, hence reducing speed.

Code:
Round trip latency 	TCP Throughput
0ms 			93.5 Mbps
30ms 			16.2 Mbps
60ms 			8.07 Mbps
90ms 			5.32 Mbps
Source

It does on speedtest, but its probably because I have a shit internet provider called Time Warner Cable.
No, it's because latency actually kills TCP throughput.

Chabbles

I put in MKX earlier to let it install and download the patch, i get back nearly an hour later and the patch is crawling along at dialup speed (on a 100Mb connection). So i pause and unpause and it downloads in under 10 minutes. What a joke sonys servers are.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any other solutions to this? It's actually impacting my ability to finish work since it takes so long to download games I need to cover. It's insane how slow it is.

Any other solutions to this? It's actually impacting my ability to finish work since it takes so long to download games I need to cover. It's insane how slow it is.

The best way is to pause the download, run the connection test on the PS4 (which somehow resets the connection), and resume the download. If you're lucky you'll be downloading at max speed afterwards. It might take a few tries but it generally works for me (until it stops working again).

The best way is to pause the download, run the connection test on the PS4 (which somehow resets the connection), and resume the download. If you're lucky you'll be downloading at max speed afterwards. It might take a few tries but it generally works for me (until it stops working again).

Works for me sometimes when I just pause and resume.

Makes no sense, but works sometimes.

Works for me sometimes when I just pause and resume.

Makes no sense, but works sometimes.

I've had much less success with just pause/unpause. Running the test or physically unplugging the ethernet cable in-between worked so much more frequently for me that I doubt it's just placebo. I have the feeling that it's actually a bug in the PS4 FW, since there is absolutely no consistency.

Mastperf

Dark10x, is there any way you guys can do a Digital Foundry artice on this? It's a major issue for a lot of people and nobody even mentions it when interviewing people from Sony.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dark10x, is there any way you guys can do a Digital Foundry artice on this? It's a major issue for a lot of people and nobody even mentions it when interviewing people from Sony.
If there were someone at Sony that I could talk to that could actually help me I'd be thrilled and would love to put something up. As it stands, all I could do is write "yep, it's broken and slow".

I'm trying to download a 20gb file right now and it's saying 25 hours remaining. I'm on 200mbit fiber!

MMaRsu

Banned
If there were someone at Sony that I could talk to that could actually help me I'd be thrilled and would love to put something up. As it stands, all I could do is write "yep, it's broken and slow".

I'm trying to download a 20gb file right now and it's saying 25 hours remaining. I'm on 200mbit fiber!

Thats ok, just write that bro. At least it will hain some attention. Shit is ridiculous

I'd love to see someone grill Sony on this. I'm not even sure they are aware there is a porblem.
There are some weird solutions to fix the speeds as you can see in this thread and many others, so something has to be broken.

.la1n

It has to be an issue with the playstation as far as I can tell. My PS3 and Xbox One are both hard wired yet the Xbox One shows accurate down speeds for my internet service while the PS3 is about 10mb/s slower.

Honestly, I think the community is too forgiving when it comes to PSN. Historically, it has been a massive disappointment compared to the other networks. Don't get me wrong - it's a lot better now than it was a few years ago, but there are several underlying issues that Sony wont respond to for another generation.

Nheco

MAYBE, I repeat, MAYBE it's not an issue, works this way by design.

Let me explain, since some users report that in rest mode their PS4's seems to download faster, maybe when you are using your console, the downloads are throttled down to prevent the download writing so fast to the disk that the game data transfer could be negatively impacted, because the disk is busy.

MAYBE, I repeat, MAYBE it's not an issue, works this way by design.

Let me explain, since some users report that in rest mode their PS4's seems to download faster, maybe when you are using your console, the downloads are throttled down to prevent the download writing so fast to the disk that the game data transfer could be negatively impacted, because the disk is busy.

That would make sense while running a game, not when the console is idling. Also doesn't explain that it's possible to fix it in several ways.

le-seb

Yeah that's one of the solutions, but it never worked for me for example.
Reducing the MTU doesn't make sense unless you're getting your Internet connection through HAM radio or a 56 kbps modem, though, so it's not surprising it didn't had any effect for you.

Pausing/resuming downloads may cause the console to connect to another -faster- server at the CDN's side, on the other hand.

Melchiah

It would be nice to know why the speeds have been inconsistent during the past weeks. I've usually gotten pretty good download speeds on my 100MB wired connection, but now it often starts to crawl below 1Mbps, and pausing and restarting doesn't always help. I dunno if the problem is related to PSN, the ISP, or what, and if it has anything to do with the recent online disconnections in my household. I contacted the ISP about the disconnections, and they said it's because I've got seven devices connected, when the maximum is five, but I don't have seven online devices here; only four on weekdays, and five on weekends when my girlfriend comes over.

Top Bottom