• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

jbug617

Banned
Eurogamer thinks it just to maintain the max fps the game runs
By opening up the Pro's additional CPU and GPU power, unpatched PlayStation 4 titles could potentially run more smoothly. Games that aim for 60fps but don't quite hit the target - for example, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition or Project Cars - stand a better chance of sustaining a locked 60fps. Similarly, games with a 30fps target that are subject to noticeable frame-rate drops - like Batman: Arkham Knight, Just Cause 3 and The Witcher 3 - could also stand to benefit. Titles using dynamic resolution scaling, including Doom 2016, could also see improvement from more sustained performance and a tighter lock on higher resolutions.

However, to be clear, what we won't see will be games running at frame-rates higher than their established caps, and neither will we see drastic changes in resolution. Games that do consistently hit their performance targets will look and play exactly as they do already.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...de-makes-standard-ps4-games-run-more-smoothly

660.gif

That made me smile.

This is real?

Ugh, goddammit...now I actually want a PS4 Pro. I was content to stick it out with my standard PS4; I legit just bought a new HDD to upgrade its memory and everything. But now that extra horsepower, and for all games too?

farisr

FFXV already has the Pro patch like you said, so no, the boost mode would do nothing. It's already using the available power.
I wasn't saying it would fix FFXV, I was using FFXV as an example where Lite mode is not experiencing as much frame pacing issues as HQ mode, and using that as reasoning for why an increase in available power may fix frame pacing in other games like bloodborne. And as I said, I don't know jackshit about this stuff. Just guessing based off that, that it may be possible.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Boost mode is quite cool but I imagine it won't work well with some games. They should let you enable it on a per game basis instead of just on/off for all games.

If a game has its framerate locked then this will just help achieve that target. So if Bloodborne is locked to 30fps that is the best you'll get. Developers would need to patch the game to let it run higher.

farisr

So if a game has a Pro patch but still runs at 30 like Uncharted 4, is it possible to unlock that as well?
Uncharted has a 30fps lock patched and unpatched, and I don't think there were any dips to the framerate IIIRC, so it wouldn't benefit from this.

I wasn't saying it would fix FFXV, I was using FFXV as an example where Lite mode is not experiencing as much frame pacing issues as HQ mode, and using that as reasoning for why an increase in available power may fix frame pacing in other games like bloodborne. And as I said, I don't know jackshit about this stuff. Just guessing based off that, that it may be possible.

Sorry I misread! I still don't think Bloodborne will be helped because the standard PS4 has no framepacing issues with FFXV, so it seems more power isn't the solution.

BigEmil

AndyD

aka andydumi
"Turn this off if you..."

No Sony, pls. I'll take a side dish of jank with my speed if need be.

I'm thinking more like crashes. But I agree, an occasional bug might be tolerable for stable framerate.

I do look forward to random games having odd unintended consequences like super fast modes, odd physics...

Vuze

This is good news. Makes PS4 Pro a little more attractive.
Should be fun to revisit the old threads where some members were claiming it would be irresponsible to add such an option because of game stability etc ;)

Audioboxer

I'm thinking more like crashes. But I agree, an occasional bug might be tolerable for stable framerate.

I do look forward to random games having odd unintended consequences like super fast modes, odd physics...

I know it's not going to happen because it hasn't happened for controls remapping, but they should have some basic .txt document that whitelists titles on a per title basis (depending on what the user selects).

prwxv3

This is good news. Makes PS4 Pro a little more attractive.
Should be fun to revisit the old threads where some members were claiming it would be irresponsible to add such an option because of game stability etc ;)

It would have been stupid to have it at launch and on by default. There would have been a shit tone of stories about how games are broken on their new machine.

Top Bottom