• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

MEGATON. I've always hoped Sony would do this, but I never expected it. Having it be an option that defaults to 'Off', buried in a menu and with a clear warning, is the perfect way to do it. I'm sure it'll break a few games, or just straight up have no effect in others, but there's bound to be some great stuff, too.

Izuna

Banned
Hey look it's me again lol

I'm sorry but you know VERY WELL that this isn't what you were arguing, especially with Arkham or the other game.

You were suggesting that the Pro switched entirely to FP16 (???) and that's why it was doing better.

This update is exactly what people were wanting from the Xbox One S and was a huge reason why people were disappointed with the Pro.

All is good and well in the world now, though.

Wereroku

Atleast its a toggle so you can just redirect it back to turning off the toggle.

No its not. If your getting 30 to 35fps, a lot of judder and screen tearing, no its not a positive thing.

So the real question to you would be is it better to have a game jump around from 25-30 or 30-35?

I'm sorry but you know VERY WELL that this isn't what you were arguing, especially with Arkham or the other game.

You were suggesting that the Pro switched entirely to FP16 (???) and that's why it was doing better.

This update is exactly what people were wanting from the Xbox One S and was a huge reason why people were disappointed with the Pro.

I believe Cerny said they had this kind of thing going before but they decided to lock it off because it broke some games. Either they worked through those games or they figured giving the user the option to turn it on and off wasn't as detrimental as they thought. I know they got a lot of push back asking for this solution.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, but fixed framepacing and more stable fps - maybe.

Lol, dream on. That issue is not because of any lack of power, it's just FROM being incompetent. But more stable 30fps with the same incorrect framepacing, sure (although BB is already rather stable, it only drops noticeably at certain points).

This is an interesting choice.

Games with locked settings might be more stable, while games with variable operations like open framerate and variable resolutions could use more brute force than the original PlayStation 4

While this is great, I think games that performs badly due to wrong programing might be the same or even worse.

Cases like Bloodborne are my main concern without a very open speech. This could make the game more stable (since there are some frames that need to be ironed out) but the frame pacing issue putting frames at wrong refreshes might not get better with brute force.

JP

Yeah, I meant as a separate thing.

What I mean is that because they're doing this with frame rates they could also be working on the leaked/rumoured system level downscaling. I think with that though, it wouldn't happen by default but only when the developers tag their games with the Pro flag for it to be active.

If that does happen, it may not even be in this release but seeing this happen makes me feel more comfortable that they are looking to expand the way that the Pro deals with improvements...hopefully. ��
To add to what I said earlier, why would they deal with the frame rate boost with a simple on/off switch and warning in the settings but make the developers deal with system wide super sampling be enabling the Pro flag?

The way I was thinking about this that it could simply that that super sampling in general is going to be GPU based whereas a frame rate boost could also involve the CPU.

Cerny's been pretty clear that just switching everything on for all games can cause issues for some games and that's why the pro doesn't turn all games into Pro version when you slip the disc in.

By separating the two it allows them to be dealt with separately and not have a simple binary on/off option that covers both. To enable the Pro flag developers have to test what that actually does to and ensure that they aren't introducing potential performance issues by activating supersampling because rendering at a higher resolution, however they elect to do that, needs to be happening the Pro and not making that game perform worse than on the standard PS4.

In terms of the frame rate boost, people can flick the switch and see what happens. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe the won't like the changes or maybe it messes up the physics. If so, you flick the switch back to the standard mode. We don't even know yet what is "boosted", is it the CPU? The GPU? Both?

What I'm saying isn't fact and I'm sure people will have differing views on my thoughts, it's just something that may or may not be possible.

belvedere

Junior Butler
On mobile so I'll link later, but DF did a Return to Arkam video analysis and before it was patched for Pro it allowed a FPS boost very much like what we'd see here.

IIRC, the framerate during gameplay went from the 40s to "nearly locked 60".

No its not. If your getting 30 to 35fps, a lot of judder and screen tearing, no its not a positive thing.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. This Boost Mode doesn't remove FPS caps that are already in place. Playing game in Boost mode will simply mean that game will reach 30fps cap or 60fps cap more consistently. So yes, like I said, more FPS is always a good thing.

For example game ran at 40-60fps on the regular ps4. It will now run at nearly 60fps at all times with boost mode.

Kinan

Do not forget that not only CPU got clock increase in Pro from 1.6 to 2.1GHz, but also GPU clocks were increased from 800 to 911MHz. Times 8 for the amount of cores its basically like unlocking another core, only better, since no additional thread management is needed. :) Very curious about the effect on GTA5, Witcher3 and Bloodborne. :)

Sony is playing it smart, pulling away whatever bragging rights Microsoft still have one by one. Now Ps4 Pro only 4K BD support away from total domination. Wait for 5.0 ? :)

Gacha-pin

https://twitter.com/ILikeLego/status/827516432753770500/photo/1

C3vtyy7WIAA6czA.jpg
Is this google translation?!?!?

Izuna

Banned
So the real question to you would be is it better to have a game jump around from 25-30 or 30-35?

Games are locked to their respective targets. Typically, if you can look up at the sky in a game you'll probably hit it's lock.

under 30 fps games should hit 30
under 60 fps games should hit 60

or at least try better to

onQ123

What? this is exactly what I said might happen. did you even read the quote?

Besides I think if you give them time to test a lot of games we might get a sneak update that boost the frame rate of some unpatched games

How is this not the same thing?

Let's look at the tests before we call this a megaton.

Great to see Sony finally add something like this. Let's hope system-wide supersampling is next.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I keep seeing ads on this page for Fifty Shades Darker. Now I'm horny.

Because of the thought of playing Until Dawn with a stable framerate

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not sure what you are trying to say here. This Boost Mode doesn't remove FPS caps that are already in place. Playing game in Boost mode will simply mean that game will reach 30fps cap or 60fps cap more consistently. So yes, like I said, more FPS is always a good thing.

For example game ran at 40-60fps on the regular ps4. It will now run at nearly 60fps at all times with boost mode.

I was not referring to this, just your claim in general.

Wereroku

Games are locked to their respective targets. Typically, if you can look up at the sky in a game you'll probably hit it's lock.

I was speaking specifically about Until Dawn. It has an unlocked framerate but can dip really low. So the question is are you better with a game going down to 25 and jumping back up or going above 30. I don't really know which one would look or feel better.

That's not what i was responding to. I was responding to someone saying there is no downside to an fps increase.

What doesnt make sense IN PARTICULAR?

I know and I was asking a related question. Does it feel better to jump above 30 or below 30? Dropping into the 20s seems like it would be worse them going above 30.

And games that lowers the resolution when there's too much things on screen tends to not lower the resolution on those events anymore.

This is amazing

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This might be what makes me finally get a Pro. I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, and although the Pro provides other benefits on a 1080p TV in many games, this is pretty damn big regardless of what resolution you game at.

Izuna

Banned
I need to update my Valentines Day analogy

XboxS is that great date you had but you found out later on she was shallow and was actually full of shit on her promises, disappointed with that one big thing

And now PS4Pro is that date that didn't appeal and had issues, but spend the rest of the relationship working on those issues and ended up being better than imagined.

Been trying to finish SOMA but it runs like ass on my Pro. Will hold off on continuing until this feature is live so I can test it.

Lots of other games will benefit too. Great news.

(Also: pretty sure Sony hinted at this during the original reveal of the Pro, citing that even games that don't have a Pro patch could benefit)

cakely

Wow, unexpected.

My first instinct is that "it's too good to be true" and that someone is just messing with us.

Top Bottom