• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 full page advert in UK newspaper, "Coming 2013"

dc89

CVG and MCV seem to think this 'confirms' a 2013 EU launch. Not in my eyes. It doesn't confirm anything.

ttech10

Hope we get a PS4 ad during the UEFA game here in the states.

Also good news for you in the EU, so it's likely we're looking at a world-wide launch. Wonder if we get to camp out for pre-orders again.

What has the current climate been in the UK about the PS4 and Xbone for all of our UK Gaffers? What's the general feel for the consoles?

PS4 is definitely in the lead for mindshare, a lot of my friends were waiting to see what MS brought to the table, but most of it was too US focussed and Kinect focussed but were worried that PS4 wouldn't be out in 2013. With this semi-confirmation I think it's all falling into place for Sony in the UK for them to take it back and reinforce their stronghold in Europe without worrying about Nintendo (other than in France possibly).

CVG and MCV seem to think this 'confirms' a 2013 EU launch. Not in my eyes. It doesn't confirm anything.

I think it does. I guess we'll have to wait and see if there is an advert that flashes up "COMING 2013" all over Europe in the UCL final tomorrow. If there is then MS might as well pack up and leave.

Socky

Makes sense to prioritize Europe. If there's a market they can probably launch later in, it's Japan.

Fair point, but after the PS3, when they promised an EU launch and then forced into pushing it back by months, I can't imagine they would do this unless they were sure it was achievable, especially this early. I think Japan might be undecided on right now - they will launch there if possible in 2013, but if they have to push to 2014 they will do so.

It's one hell of a misleading ad if it doesn't confirm a 2013 release. It says 2013 and says that this year players will become legends. What else is it saying if it isn't saying that you'll be able to buy a PS4 in Europe this year?

Ikkarus

What has the current climate been in the UK about the PS4 and Xbone for all of our UK Gaffers? What's the general feel for the consoles?
Too early to tell to be honest, E3 should clear it all up though.

As it currently stands though more people are leaning towards the PS4 than the Xbox One.

N.A

Banned
I was planning to upgrade my PC instead and get PS4 at the first pricedrop as I assumed it would be spring 2014 here.

+1 PS4 sale if they do indeed launch in the UK this year.

Addnan

YES! Sony need to get in early, UK has no loyalty and PS4 will do well if it launches before or close to Xbone at a similar price.

Yeah PS3 launched in March 2007 and at £425 in the UK, crazy price. Took a good while to get momentum going after that.

This is great news. Bet retailers are happy too. Now, the pricing...

And at the time £425 was around $850, lol...

It's strange how some seem to think the UK has a sense of loyalty to either of these two. It's always been about value.

KpfzFZB.jpg

ahh, so this is the year I finally become a legend. Greatness Awaits :p

Withnail

"Players" "Play" "Players"

Not "Consumers", not "CAWWNTENT", not "TV", Sony are playing up the fact that it's a console, and they've seemingly moved away from the "Computer Entertainment branding".

Well I think the intention is that the words refer to both the PS4 and the CL final. Couldn't really call football players consumers :)

dalin80

Banned
And at the time £425 was around $850, lol...

It's strange how some seem to think the UK has a sense of loyalty to either of these two. It's always been about value.

For a long time we had to endure the yanks moaning about '$599!' when the rest of the world was paying a hell of a lot more.

8bit

Knows the Score

If this is leading to an ad during the Champions League it pretty much does. It's not going to state coming 2013 (but only for the UK) for an advert that will play across Europe.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shiiit, converting my currency to USD, I payed 1000 US Dollars for the PS3 on launch day...

And people in the US complained about 599?! Fuck.
For a long time we had to endure the yanks moaning about '$599!' when the rest of the world was paying a hell of a lot more.
Exaaaaaaactly.

Mogwai

Crossing my fingers in the hope that the actual console won't be as bulky as XB-one. Judging by its controller, the PS4 should be very sleek looking!

Withnail

Crossing my fingers in the hope that the actual console won't be as bulky as XB-one. Judging by its controller, the PS4 should be very sleek looking!

I think the console's going to be big. That fast RAM is going to generate a lot of heat unfortunately and they will want to play it safe with new hardware. But Sony has pretty good hardware designers so hopefully they've come up with something attractive.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Ah some next gen excitement amidst the tide of X1 discourse. Great stuff. Can't wait for the PS4 this year. Seeing ads in print makes the next generation seem that much more tangible.

Linkified

It is all anecdotal of course but friends like the specs of PS4 more than XB1, and people prefer the XB1 controller over the DualShock 4. Although I have some friends are anxiously waiting to here about how Sony will attempt to constrain the used games market though before they start dropping to their knees and praying Sony.

Me: Don't like what I've seen from either, and it all comes down to price here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's one hell of a misleading ad if it doesn't confirm a 2013 release. It says 2013 and says that this year players will become legends. What else is it saying if it isn't saying that you'll be able to buy a PS4 in Europe this year?

The one thing I can think of is if there was some breakdown in communication between Sony and a more external marketing agency, and the latter just took the '2013' thing from the Feb announcement and ran with it in their ad without really running it by Sony.

However, otoh, I don't think Sony would be greenlighting a newspaper or TV marketing budget for PS4 at this point if it wasn't coming until 2014. A Champions League ad touting this would be harder to fathom not being run by Sony fully.

I guess we shall see!

I think the console's going to be big. That fast RAM is going to generate a lot of heat unfortunately and they will want to play it safe with new hardware. But Sony has pretty good hardware designers so hopefully they've come up with something attractive.

Old PS3 fat had 200Watts this new one much less.
So PS3 size is maximum i can see.

Hope we get a PS4 ad during the UEFA game here in the states.

Also good news for you in the EU, so it's likely we're looking at a world-wide launch. Wonder if we get to camp out for pre-orders again.

I forgot about the Champions League final. Would be a good chance to do a big ad - especially because of their close sponsorship of the competition.

M.D

The one thing I can think of is if there was some breakdown in communication between Sony and a more external marketing agency, and the latter just took the '2013' thing from the Feb announcement and ran with it in their ad without really running it by Sony.

However, otoh, I don't think Sony would be greenlighting a newspaper or TV marketing budget for PS4 at this point if it wasn't coming until 2014. A Champions League ad touting this would be harder to fathom not being run by Sony fully.

I guess we shall see!

The one to watch is the ad on the CL.

DBT85

The GDDR5 ram on my 6950 only has small 1cm square heatssinks on and is cooled by the air from the fan wafting over it. It isn't as big a deal as some are making out

Sendou

It better be confirmed now... Great that they have started advertising. Why emphasize the controller's light bar though? Weird.

I guess we shall see!

I think this also a part of Sony's counter-marketing campaign against the Xbone reveal. This kind of stuff will get them headlines on all of the tech media and if an advert does materialise then they will take over all of the press around the world if they reveal something big other than the EU date. Just days after the reveal of the new Xbox the world will be talking about PlayStation again.

Who said going first was a bad idea?

I have done 90% of gaming this gen on my 360 but intend to get a PS4 as things stand at the moment. The day after the PS4 announcement I got into a few chats with friends about how good the PS4 looked. The main takeaway from the Xbox One reveal was it seemed to be very American TV focused.

Sony have been making great advances in the UK market, price reductions, great PSN content and good exclusives this year. Also PS4 specs seem a good step above Xbox One.

Mogwai

If Sony includes a built-in PSU again, I'm going to have my worries. It will be enormous.

Arthea

I have done 90% of gaming this gen on my 360 but intend to get a PS4 as things stand at the moment. The day after the PS4 announcement I got into a few chats with friends about how good the PS4 looked. The main takeaway from the Xbox One reveal was it seemed to be very American TV focused.

Sony have been making great advances in the UK market, price reductions, great PSN content and good exclusives this year. Also PS4 specs seem a good step above Xbox One.
I think PSN plus already won them Europe. Now they only need to have good launch games and similar service for PS4.

ttech10

I forgot about the Champions League final. Would be a good chance to do a big ad - especially because of their close sponsorship of the competition.

There was a thread on here last month about them having an ad during it, but it wasn't said if it would be short, long or a simple "Sponsored by" one.

I hope we get one similar to the opening of the February event. This ad seems similar to that one.

Completely agree.

Me and most of my friends game primarily on Xbox 360, but I have noticed PS3 slipping in. I saw someone on my Facebook feed trying to swap his Xbox 360 for any model of a PS3. I've also noticed some friends being die-hard fans of FIFA on PS3.

Personally, I've had an Xbox 360 since Oct 2006 and bought a PS3 on launch day in Mar 2007. First time I had any disposable income. But while I have literally hundreds of games for Xbox 360, I have maybe 40 or so for PS3 -- not including PS Plus.

PS Plus has started changing my gaming habits, though. I completed Bulletstorm not so long ago, a game I didn't really think I'd like and if I was going to play it, would have bought it on Xbox 360. But I finished (and loved it) on PS3 because of Plus.

Top Bottom