• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 games for a mom

Makai

Just sent my mom a PS4 so she can play The Witness. Any other good games she might like? Definitely Dreams when it comes out. No Man's Sky is a maybe. Generally doesn't like violence but enjoys Zelda and other puzzle games.

Neiteio

Rocket League!

It's only $30 on Amazon. And it's AWESOME. My non-gamer friend and I had a blast playing it last night.

I spent like four hours playing it today, too. o_O

It's a title anyone can pick up and play. Feels so good to control, like a Nintendo game!

Neiteio

Batman: Arkham Knight is vaguely... vaguely Zelda-like, at least when you're in the more dungeon-like environments using your gadgets. But still, I think she might enjoy that. It's "violent" but not in a "killing people" way. You just... knock them the hell out! It's Batman, so that might be something familiar to her, too.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is a great family bonding game, outlining the classic rivalry of ninja schools as they battle it out on the beach.

Salarians

The Talos Principle for sure. The Unfinished Swan is a good choice too. Maybe Costume Quest 2 if you think she'd like an RPG?

Seconding Life is Strange and The Wolf Among Us, if their narratives and styles seem like things she'd like.

Abzu and Bound aren't out yet but they could be good choices.

Shin-Ra

Unravel, Tearaway Unfolded, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty and Gravity Rush Remastered if she's got the mega 360-degrees skillz.

Oddworld has some gore but it's presented in a humorous way.

edit: how did I forget Rayman.

Grimalkin

Abzû
Bastion
Beyond: Two Souls
Bound
Child of Light
Contrast
Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition
Dear Esther
Diablo III
Don't Starve
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
Dreams
Driveclub
Fez
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Firewatch
Flower
Gone Home
Grim Fandango Remastered
Grow Home
Heavy Rain
Infamous Second Son
Journey
King's Quest
Knack
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Lego The Hobbit
Life Is Strange
LittleBigPlanet 3
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Never Alone
The Order: 1886
Overwatch
Pix the Cat
Ratchet & Clank
Rayman Legends
Resogun
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
The Talos Principle
Tearaway Unfolded
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Walking Dead: Season One
The Wolf Among Us

Just sent my mom a PS4 so she can play The Witness. Any other good games she might like? Definitely Dreams when it comes out. No Man's Sky is a maybe. Generally doesn't like violence but enjoys Zelda and other puzzle games.

Hmm. Are you limiting your choices to single-player? I don't know if your Mom ever invites friends over frequently, but any game from Jackbox Games is a blast (such as Fibbage, Quiplash, Drawful 2, The Jackbox Party Packs 1, 2, and (soon) 3). Every player uses their phone to play. Singstar (which is free on PS4) does the same with a free companion app for iOS and Android.

Shevat

Neo Member
Life is Strange and telltale's games (depending on her IP interests) are great options for adventure games. Until Dawn depending on if she likes horror, you said she dislikes violence but I'm unsure if you meant as a gameplay mechanic or thematically

Gone Home, Firewatch, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture are all good exploration/narrative "walking simulator" games. SOMA, similarly to Until Dawn, if she likes horror and just doesn't like violent gameplay -- it's all exploration/story and no combat. Outlast would also be in SOMA's camp.

The Swapper is a very good puzzle/platformer game with quality writing.

Journey, Flower are great "artsy" experiences.

Child of Light is a good "storybook" JRPG-inspired game with pretty light violence.

Song of the Deep is a good "storybook" metroidvania, which may be right up her alley if she likes Zelda.

Wildcard: The Last of Us. Game is plenty violent and has a significant amount of combat gameplay, but I have met a lot of "non-gamers" who the game really resonated with due to the quality of its storytelling.

truth411

Defense Grid 2!!!

Elandyll

Banned
Non violence based great games imo

Journey
Flower
Bound
Abzu
Bastion
Transistor
Life is Strange
Child of Light