• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

I installed my new drive with no problem... but somehow the backup of all my files I had on my external drive became corrupted. Its like a brand new drive too, I dunno what happened. :(

I'm feeling very thankful for my saves being backed up to the cloud right now.

molnizzle

Or if you want you can almost double the price of your PS4 and add a 1 TB SSD.

Where in the world were you able to buy a PS4 for $165?

yE1eurf.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226596

CLEEK

Think I might get this external HDD and strip it. Anyone try it with this specific external?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I used the slightly different model, the Seagate Expansion Portable.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILALU9G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The only difference is case of the Expansion is a tiny bit bigger than the Slim, as well as being slightly cheaper. They both have the exact same 2TB Samsung Spinpoint M9T drives inside them, and the process to get the drive out is the same.

Instructions for opening up the Seagate HDD and swapping it over here: http://imgur.com/a/JF5jA

I installed my new drive with no problem... but somehow the backup of all my files I had on my external drive became corrupted. Its like a brand new drive too, I dunno what happened. :(

I'm feeling very thankful for my saves being backed up to the cloud right now.

i dunno if its a bug but saved data cant be copied unless you install the game otherwise it will appear with a grayish icon (missing i think it says)

Where in the world were you able to buy a PS4 for $165?

yE1eurf.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226596

$399 PS4 + $349 SSD = $748 for a 1TB SSD equipped PS4.

$748 being almost double what a normal PS4 costs.
Ok $728 with that discount, but the point still stands. Words.

---
Speaking of hard drives, I backed up my entire PS4 last night in anticipation of putting in my new 7200rpm 1 TB drive. Since I don't have a USB 3 enclosure yet, had to use my old USB 2 one. The backup of my nearly-full PS4 took over 6 hours :/

My estimated back-up was to 7-hours. I did this over night. The restore to the new 2TB hdd found in the Seagate Bakup Slim was only 3-hours. Other than the difficulty in finding the full 2.5 FW ( the links on the PS4 FW page lead to the 2.5FW upgrade file which is significantly smaller than the full package), the upgrade went seamlessly. I have not noticed any increase in speed, but the additional space is appreciated.

Cheers

molnizzle

Fuck backing up all game installs like that, I'll just re-download the ones I want to play. Thanks to automated save file upload I don't have to backup any of those shits either.

Living in 2015 kicks ass.

Fuck backing up all game installs like that, I'll just re-download the ones I want to play. Thanks to automated save file upload I don't have to backup any of those shits either.

Living in 2015 kicks ass.
If ever I need to upgrade again it's likely that I'll do this too. Just like on PC, when I reinstall Windows from time to time, it feels good to clear out the junk you're not actually using.

As of now, I believe the 2TB Seagate drive is the biggest option. And if that 3TB Toshiba is indeed 15mm thick, 2TB will likely remain the largest for a good long while.
fuck man, I don't wanna have to constantly swap hdds. I'd rather just put a brolic one in my Ps4 and be done with it.

Handy Fake

$399 PS4 + $349 SSD = $748 for a 1TB SSD equipped PS4.

$748 being almost double what a normal PS4 costs.
Ok $728 with that discount, but the point still stands. Words.

---
Speaking of hard drives, I backed up my entire PS4 last night in anticipation of putting in my new 7200rpm 1 TB drive. Since I don't have a USB 3 enclosure yet, had to use my old USB 2 one. The backup of my nearly-full PS4 took over 6 hours :/

LOKI_approves.gif

Zerophase

Neo Member
Has anyone benchmarked the Samsung 850 Pro? There doesn't seem to be much info on how it performs on the ps4. It's one of the faster SSDs, but the hardware limits of the ps4 might make a cheaper SSD perform almost as well.

If ever I need to upgrade again it's likely that I'll do this too. Just like on PC, when I reinstall Windows from time to time, it feels good to clear out the junk you're not actually using.

Yeah, honestly, backing up everything to external was a waste of time. My Diablo 3, Dragon Age, and Bloodborne saves were fine, and that's all that mattered to me. Redownloading Bloodborne took forever though...

Idba

Has anyone benchmarked the Samsung 850 Pro? There doesn't seem to be much info on how it performs on the ps4. It's one of the faster SSDs, but the hardware limits of the ps4 might make a cheaper SSD perform almost as well.

Id go with a cheaper ssd model, perhaps Bx100 by Crucial

I picked up a Seagate 2TB expansion (STBX2000401) the other day at Fry's while searching for Evil Bong on DVD. Haven't swapped yet because I'll need access to super fast internet to re-DL my stuff beyond saves and profile, right?

Should I keep this or go for something else? Cost me $80

I picked up a Seagate 2TB expansion (STBX2000401) the other day at Fry's while searching for Evil Bong on DVD. Haven't swapped yet because I'll need access to super fast internet to re-DL my stuff beyond saves and profile, right?

Should I keep this or go for something else? Cost me $80
There is no need to re download anything. Use the new Back up feature in FW 2.5 with an external hdd, swop out the internal 500 GB hdd with your new Seagate ( install the full 2.5 FW from a thumb stick USB) and then Restore from the external hdd to your Seagate.

I just did this a week ago today. The only difficult part was finding the full 2.5 FW and not just the update file. Backing up to the external hdd took 7 hours and restoring to the Seagate hdd I purchased ( Seagate backup Slim 2 TB) took 3 hours. The swop out itself mere minutes.

Cheers

There is no need to re download anything. Use the new Back up feature in FW 2.5 with an external hdd, swop out the internal 500 GB hdd with your new Seagate ( install the full 2.5 FW from a thumb stick USB) and then Restore from the external hdd to your Seagate.

I just did this a week ago today. The only difficult part was finding the full 2.5 FW and not just the update file. Backing up to the external hdd took 7 hours and restoring to the Seagate hdd I purchased ( Seagate backup Slim 2 TB) took 3 hours. The swop out itself mere minutes.

Cheers

Sony really, Really needs to make the pull firmware easier to find. I thought I was going mad when it kept telling me it couldn't use the 2.50 firmware update I downloaded.

The actual one you need is from a very small icon on that page, which I thought at first was just an image, causing me to scroll up and hit the download button there.

The key is the full file is 700+ megs, while the update is only like 250.

That being said, the backup takes for freaking ever, so be sure to delete any game you really don't plan on playing soon, or don't mind redownloading\repatching. It will save you hours of your time. 250gigs took like 2.5 hours to backup, and about 1.6 hours to restore for me.

How reliable is backing up your saves along with all your apps/games etc?

Should I back up to the cloud incase the saves get corrupted?

Yes, I might as well back up to USB to be even more safer. Not looking forward to back up and restore part which takes very long, like 5hrs each...

Is there a way to format my current HDD that's in my ps4 without using a computer and could this be done through my ps4 after I back up my data to an external HDD?

le-seb

I'm certainly considering it, but it only has 16mb cache. Does that matter? Any help would be great!
With the uses you'll be having of the disk in a console, no, cache size doesn't really matter.

So if I want a 1TB or 2TB Drive for my PS4 should I buy. SSHD hybrid or a 7200 rpm HDD? What are the good ones?
If you want a 2 TB drive, you only have the option of getting a classical 5400 rpm one, I think.

Digital Foundry had written an article where they'd tested performance using different drives, and their conclusion was that - unless you wanted to go the SSD route - there weren't that much of a difference when using a SSHD or 7200 rpm drive, and that buying a 2 TB disk would probably offer the best bang for bucks.

Hello!

So if I want a 1TB or 2TB Drive for my PS4 should I buy. SSHD hybrid or a 7200 rpm HDD? What are the good ones?

Thanks!
Decide between the speed and the size because you can't completely have both unless you feel like blowing a bunch of money on a 1TB SSD.

2TB drives currently are 5400rpm and so a bit slower than 7200rpm drives but obviously you get more storage space. The Seagate 2TB drives (also this one here) are still slightly faster (improvements of a couple seconds in load times) vs the stock PS4 hard drive. So you get the storage space plus a little improvement in load times. The other bonus of these is that while you have to remove the drive from it's enclosure to put it in the PS4, you can then take the stock PS4 drive and put it in the enclosure and use it as an external drive.

If you want a 7200RPM drive you should get this one which is 1TB.

You can also get a slightly more expensive Seagate 5400 RPM SSHD which is also 1TB and a little faster usually (but not always) than the 7200rpm drives with regards to load times.

Here is a comparison of some of these drives I'm linking to and their load times in Bloodborne. Scroll down to the chart and see if it helps you decide what you want.

Anyone used this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DULWSXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Im not sure if its 9mm's thick.

Theere are comments in the Amazon reviews that it's too thick for the PS4.

Deku Tree

With the uses you'll be having of the disk in a console, no, cache size doesn't really matter.

If you want a 2 TB drive, you only have the option of getting a classical 5400 rpm one, I think.

Digital Foundry had written an article where they'd tested performance using different drives, and their conclusion was that - unless you wanted to go the SSD route - there weren't that much of a difference when using a SSHD or 7200 rpm drive, and that buying a 2 TB disk would probably offer the best bang for bucks.

Decide between the speed and the size because you can't completely have both unless you feel like blowing a bunch of money on a 1TB SSD.

2TB drives currently are 5400rpm and so a bit slower than 7200rpm drives but obviously you get more storage space. The Seagate 2TB drives (also this one here) are still slightly faster (improvements of a couple seconds in load times) vs the stock PS4 hard drive. So you get the storage space plus a little improvement in load times. The other bonus of these is that while you have to remove the drive from it's enclosure to put it in the PS4, you can then take the stock PS4 drive and put it in the enclosure and use it as an external drive.

If you want a 7200RPM drive you should get this one which is 1TB.

You can also get a slightly more expensive Seagate 5400 RPM SSHD which is also 1TB and a little faster usually (but not always) than the 7200rpm drives with regards to load times.

Here is a comparison of some of these drives I'm linking to and their load times in Bloodborne. Scroll down to the chart and see if it helps you decide what you want.

Theere are comments in the Amazon reviews that it's too thick for the PS4.

Thanks!

93xfan

Banned
Thanks le-seb. It's between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Laptop-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429445426&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate%20sshd&tag=viglink20241-20

http://www.amazon.com/WD10S12X-Solid-State-Hybrid-Drive/dp/B00RJWEG2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429465992&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+16+sshd

I want whichever one willl be faster and I wonder if the 16GB of flash will make a difference on the latter.

If I want speed, the 2TB ones are not the way to go, right? What about a 3.5" hard drive. Are read times improved or are they worse compared to a 2.5" hard drive.

le-seb

Whatever you go with, you'll be limited by what the console can host, which is a 2.5" disk with a 9.5 mm maximum thickness.
So, no 3.5" disk, unless you host it out of the console.

And yes, the more flash memory in a SSHD and the better (faster) it should be.
The Seagate you linked only has 8 GB, so you'd better go with the WD one.

93xfan

Banned
Whatever you go with, you'll be limited by what the console can host, which is a 2.5" disk with a 9.5 mm maximum thickness.
So, no 3.5" disk, unless you host it out of the console.

And yes, the more flash memory in a SSHD and the better (faster) it should be.
The Seagate you linked only has 8 GB, so you'd better go with the WD one.

Thanks again. I was considering the Nyko solution for a 3.5. The only thing I'm uncertain about is access times for the Seagate and the WD. WD looks good on paper, but I keep hearing about different drives having different search times and things like that that aren't so easily discernible from the specs listed. I may do a bit more research before choosing one or the other.

edit: did some research on community forums and it looks like the WD SSHD does not work as it should. It also appears to be lifted out of a Sony laptop, rather than being sold in a regular retail box. And if speed and performance is your priority, 2.5" drives sound like they have better density and maybe use less platters.

To anyone who reads this, take anything I say with a grain of salt as I've not thoroughly researched much of this. For me, I believe the Seagate 1TB SSHD will work just fine.

kaiyo

Sony really, Really needs to make the pull firmware easier to find. I thought I was going mad when it kept telling me it couldn't use the 2.50 firmware update I downloaded.

The actual one you need is from a very small icon on that page, which I thought at first was just an image, causing me to scroll up and hit the download button there.

The key is the full file is 700+ megs, while the update is only like 250.

That being said, the backup takes for freaking ever, so be sure to delete any game you really don't plan on playing soon, or don't mind redownloading\repatching. It will save you hours of your time. 250gigs took like 2.5 hours to backup, and about 1.6 hours to restore for me.

Wow, for some reason my backup took close to 6 hours, and it only had like 286gb or so to backup. And I was also using a usb3 portable drive.

jcm

Have any of you had an HDD failure in your PS4? Mine is making an intermittent high pitched whine that I suspect is coming from the HDD. I don't mind replacing the drive, but I'll be irritated if the whine is coming from something else (maybe the power supply?). Any opinions are appreciated.

Elios83

I was thinking about upgrading the PS4 hard drive (at this point I'm forced to uninstall even games that I still want to play and it's boring) and I was looking for a SSHD.

Found this on Amazon (Seagate-ST1000LM014):
http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00BHRWHNI/

point is that I want a 2TB capacity and it doesn't seem to be available yet...
Are there other good options for a 2TB SSHD for PS4?

hesido

So, SSHD speeds are variable according to usage pattern. The bigger the SS part, less variable the speed would be due to running different apps consecutively, but first launches would probably be almost always slower.. Am I right?

So, SSHD speeds are variable according to usage pattern. The bigger the SS part, less variable the speed would be due to running different apps consecutively, but first launches would probably be almost always slower.. Am I right?

Yes, an SSHD will be faster if you play 1-3 games at a time as opposed to going back and forth between 5-7 games as a rule of thumb.

I usually play a game then move on or play MP of another game so I went with an SSHD.

A 7200rpm HD will offer consistent speeds where a SSHD will be faster and slower at times depending on usage.

I'll get a SSD when 1TB hits 150 or less, if Cerny had went with SATA III I would have bought a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO/Pro day one. The SSDs are again limited by the interface this gen which sucks.

nikos

I definitely want 2TB, so it looks like this is the best option.

I read some compatibility issues with Seagate drives in a PS4 that came with an HGST drive. Didn't read much into it though. Is it true, or false/outdated information?

EDIT: Apparently FW 1.70 fixed the incompatibility issue.

Top Bottom