• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Great question ? so Samsung SSD EVO is the best SSD ? 1TO model is it faster than 500 GO ?

The 1TB SSD is a 840 EVO, while the 500 GB SSD in the list is a 840 PRO.
There's also a 500GB and 750GB version of the EVO Series so maybe thats a better choice in terms of $

I look forward to more details including the specific model number. Thanks for helping out!

Could you just let me know what HDD you are using please.

Latest scores are as follows.

mMgiwxO.png

For anyone wishing to submit further scores. PLEASE try and follow the template below. By all means also link a video in. Also I NEED your HDD model!

HDD Installed (model # & size):
Cost of HDD:
Boot from cold to menu time:
Boot from standby to menu time:
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk/Digital):

HDD Installed (model # & size): Seagate 1TB SSHD 5400 rpm ST1000LM014
Cost of HDD: at time of purchase was listed for $108.00
Boot from cold to menu time: N/A
Boot from standby to menu time: 3-3.5 (background download)
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk/Digital): Resogun: 9 sec from starting game on XMB to black screen

Going to actually set up a camera and stop watch later tonight and test the following

Cold Boot, Boot from standby, Resogun, contrast, warframe, flower, assassin's creed, KZ, and knack. Will try and get videos of all and post them most likely won't be able to pot until tomorrow though

rawd

Are you glad you went for the 512 or wish you went for the 1TB?

Iv no doubt the SSD you got will saturate the controller, likely going to be one of the best out there, Im considering ordering myself, but dropping another £400 on it, hmm

Yeah I love it! .. I don't need 1 TB , rotational or flash mem. The 840 pro 512 is the perfect size and price for what I was willing to spend.

I hope we see some Black Friday deals on this stuff. I'd love to upgrade. But I'm also hoping next year they announce smaller, cheaper 2TB drives that only use one platter and give good speeds.

viveks86

God damn it! I'm caving in! Heading out right now to get a 1 TB Evo SSD. I'm gonna be poor in a couple of hours and it's all your fault, Gaf! This fucking thread! Argh!

No Love

Banned
God damn it! I'm caving in! Heading out right now to get a 1 TB Evo SSD. I'm gonna be poor in a couple of hours and it's all your fault, Gaf! This fucking thread! Argh!

Just buy a 256 GB for now. Its not like ps4 will have a ton of must haves til mid-late next year. Then go for a 1TB that's half the price it is now.

TL24

Just bought a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache HD, will post my results in about 30 minutes here!

**UPDATE**
Alright folks, here's the results so far...

HDD Model: Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache HD
Cost: $80
Boot from cold to menu: 18.45 seconds (started the stopwatch when the PS4 beeped)
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk):

Battlefield 4 --> 20 seconds to boot into the DICE intro, not sure what to compare it to since I haven't seen anyone post their results for BF4 with the stock HDD and other HDD's
Resogun --> 10.48 seconds from the XMB to the Sony screen

Also, here's a great review on my HDD along with the other available high capacity 2.5 HDD's on the market:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/advanced-format-1tb-hard-drive,3046.html

i-Lo

I am surprised at the massive difference between the stock and the other HDD (albeit 7200RPM). Seems like SSHDD is another way to go as well.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Just bought a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache HD, will post my results in about 30 minutes here!
Another 7200 RPM. Good. I'm about to do the same to mine, actually. Replace the default with a 7200 RPM WD. It's only 640 GB though.

Tux

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

IGN's test results. Odd how the Hybrid drive fell behind the stock one when loading into BF4. Then again, the way BF4 works, the hybrid drive doesn't really get used to its advantage. Long play times in between each map load, and almost never the same map 2 times in a row, unless the server is like that.

Yeah, the way the SSHD hybird works is that is learns the most recent cache data patterns. So, writes are no better than a normal HDD (7200). But if you keep using the same data (8GB SSD cache) then it will act as a buffer similar to an SSD. They conditions have to be right thought. That's why second reboots on the SSHD and SSDs are fast(er).

I assume puttinga new hard drive in voids the warranty, right?

I don't really want to risk replacing my hard drive until I'm abspluyely sure my launch unit is working correctly.

Tux

I know right. That 1 TB Evo SSD is the best price I've seen for a 1TB SSD drive.

Has anyone ever tried hooking up a 2 TB hard drive or more by a simple sata cable adapter? I know it won't fit in there but why does it have to? You could mod a sata and power wire to lead out the back could you not?

Skeff

Has anyone ever tried hooking up a 2 TB hard drive or more by a simple sata cable adapter? I know it won't fit in there but why does it have to? You could mode a sata and power wire to lead out the back could you not?

That should work, It did on PS3, I will try a 3TB HDD on November 30th as I'm in UK. If the PS4 can handle HDD's bigger than 2TB I'll probably make my own caddy and use a 4TB 7200RPM.

Tempting as it is, is faster loading times worth $600 considering I already bought an SSHD? In reality, not to me. It's not like I can't afford it either, but I feel that'd be an irresponsible purchase.

My 5400rpm 1TB got Resogun loaded in 11 seconds. What was the time on that initial comparison gif? 20 seconds for stock HDD?

So far I'm not feeling burdened with long load times. Quite the opposite. Everything has been loading as fast or faster than my PS3 games do, and it's got a 7200rpm drive.

When the 1TB EVO comes down in price to around $200 I MIGHT bite. Until then I don't think I'll really NEED SSD.

HDD Installed: Seagate 1TB SSHD
Cost of HDD: $119
Boot from cold to menu time: 17.92
Boot from standby to menu time: 21.59
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk/Digital):
Madden -10.11

Tux

Is the time taken to produce these drives the expensive factor or the parts to do it?

I wish they would just drop the prices and phase out physical drives, like Electronics do, phase out the old...

The Seagate Momentus XL 500GB and 750GB used to be around $70-$90. I think that due to the Tsunami (Twain plants from other companies that were shutdown in 2011) dried up stock. Add the fact that these two drives were already hot items makes them more expensive and harder to find.

The 3.5 inch 3TB WD 7200 Black was over $350-$400 during the floods (for the desktop computer). The 1TB version was not even available for months. The Momentus XL was sold out for months also.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/business/global/07iht-floods07.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Tsundere

Banned
HDD: Seagate 1TB SSHD
Cold Boot to Menu: 17.98 seconds
Standby to Menu: 5.48 seconds

Menu to Game:
  • Resogun: 13.53 seconds

TL24

Another 7200 RPM. Good. I'm about to do the same to mine, actually. Replace the default with a 7200 RPM WD. It's only 640 GB though.

I just updated my result, I'll test this HDD with other games now and post another reply when I'm done.

TL24

Those of you that replaced your HDD 500GB, can you let us know what the brand and model number is so the spreadsheet can be updated?

My previous post has the details but here it is again sir.

HDD Model: Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache HD
Boot from cold to menu: 18.45 seconds (started the stopwatch when the PS4 beeped)

Battlefield 4 --> 20 seconds to boot into the DICE intro, not sure what to compare it to since I haven't seen anyone post their results for BF4 with the stock HDD and other HDD's

Metfanant

so i think ive decided to go with a 7200rpm drive...aiming for ~black friday...see if there are any good deals...

Now...

1. any confirmation about cache sizes and impact on performance?
2. what is the backup procedure like on the PS4? hopefully better than the PS3 was...

Haribo

Banned
Regarding SSHD's, I'm NOT concerned about loading times for games but more dashboard/Netflix usage which could be painfully slow on PS3. If the whole OS ends up on the SSD portion and runs at an equal speed to pure SSD I'm sure it will be worth getting a hybrid (in time for the EU launch) for me.

Hopefully somebody will post a comparison video of the booting, UI & some non-game apps on SSHD vs doing the exact same things on a standard drive.

i-Lo

The Battlefield result is puzzling. According to IGN, the boot time for BF4 on the stock is 10.3 sec. That's nearly half the time it took a 7200RPM drive. Was the game installed on your HDD when you booted it?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm going to do a round of stock testing. And then I'm going to replace it. Brb. Will edit.

What does my replacement HDD need to be formatted in? I'm taking it out of my laptop after all.

3 seconds? that's ridiculous. my stock hdd is closer to 20 lol. did you guys do something in the settings to remove the ps logo screen from stand by?

I might have to upgrade now.

viveks86

3 seconds? that's ridiculous. my stock hdd is closer to 20 lol. did you guys do something in the settings to remove the ps logo screen from stand by?

I might have to upgrade now.

Don't worry about the 3 second boots. People will eventually stop getting it once they have nothing downloading in the background. Once we have suspend/resume for games, I assume all of us would have sub 7 second boot times, irrespective of drive.

Having said that, there is quite a lot of performance gain you would get by upgrading to 7200 RPM, SSHD or SSD.

TL24

The Battlefield result is puzzling. According to IGN, the boot time for BF4 on the stock is 10.3 sec. That's nearly half the time it took a 7200RPM drive. Was the game installed on your HDD when you booted it?

Yeah I'm not sure bro, that doesn't sound right to me either but maybe IGN had the digital copy? I know I can't run BF4 without the disc in so maybe that's why?

i-Lo

Yeah I'm not sure bro, that doesn't sound right to me either but maybe IGN had the digital copy? I know I can't run BF4 without the disc in so maybe that's why?

If you follow the link I provided in the original link (disguised as "IGN") you will notice that they mention that it's the disc version of the game.

I think someone else would also have run tests on BF4 to see what is the trend with that game.

Tux

The Stock HDD is the Western Digital Scorpio Black? If not, I edited my request for more clarifictation.

Pingoreous

For those that asked, Playroom re downloads when you install a new drive and your warranty is not voided when changing drives. Sony said so many times and the hard drive bay has no tamper sticker.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hopefully somebody will post a comparison video of the booting, UI & some non-game apps on SSHD vs doing the exact same things on a standard drive.

SSHD's have a learning algorithm, it's going to take a few weeks before the benefits are really noticeable and comparable for this experiment. First will be some OS boot data then user/game data will follow. This will only be data blocks that are 'hot' as well. Some data may be frequently accessed but doesn't run 'hot' enough.

@above - Another advantage is that when writes are passed through DRAM on an SSHD they go straight into SATA, the AMT will then decide whether or not the data needs to live in NAND and move it up accordingly. On an SSD every write is immediately passed through DRAM and straight into the NAND cells therefore creating much more wear and lessening endurance. Even at an enterprise level, EMC have FAST, NETApp have flashcache and Hitachi have - I can't quite remember their actual terminology, smart pools maybe? These all treat EFD as a cache.

Basically the SSD portion should compliment the DRAM (until it's re-architected). The DRAM isn't so important at the scale we're talking about either. 32MB v 64MB for instance? PS3 and PS4 does use write caching so it's certainly beneficial to a small degree but at the scale we're talking about it's not going to make a noticeable differecne without an atomic stopwatch.

If you really have cash to burn i would say go with the SSD.

7200/SSHD 5400 are both delivering great results. I have the SSHD and i'm extremely satisfied. My background downloading is insanely good, installs for 7GB portions are a min or sometimes even less. All my games (KZ, Knack and all the f2p games) are booting within 10+ secs. Just go with your budget. They all seem to be winners imo.

Top Bottom