• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 : "number of developers joining has increased from 126 to 505" since Feb 2013

Erasus

Doing self publishing on the PSN store is a great move! Maybe not as easy as just setting up a website and paypal on PC but hey!

Thorgal

showmethereceipts.gif

But seriously let's assume it takes 3 years to make a game and this next gen is 6 years long.
That's on average 168 games a year or 3.2 a week. There will be over 1000 games in the library when it's done. Is this going to be PS2 version 2?

a 1000 is not enough

ps2 by the end of its life had close to 4.000 titles.

Most of it was shovelware but still.

Vodh

That part where Boyes said about one of the indie devs something along the lines of "And those guys thought we wouldn't even want to talk to them, so we've put them on stage!" was honestly the highlight of the first half of the conference. Compare that to Microsoft's "We support indie devs and as a proof we're going to bring you a whatever the fuck has changed version of Minecraft!" and you can see the difference in the approach.

Mlatador

Banned
631 developers? Really? I bet 600 of them are indies.

Anyway, where do all these come from? Didn't some major ones die LAST GEN because competing with AAA/100 million dollar budgets and impressing the dudebros was too much?

Feindflug

Sony is playing all the right notes

Yep, so far they have done an amazing job in almost everything (hardware, DRM, indie games, price e.t.c.)...kudos to the Playstation team for making the PS4 so appealing to the devs and the gaming community as a whole regardless which console was their system of choice on the current generation.

I hope this will continue in the coming years and that we'll end up with a fuckin' awesome system in our hands, it looks like the industry will need a system like this.

a 1000 is not enough

ps2 by the end of its life had close to 4.000 titles.

Most of it was shovelware but still.

So are most mobile apps.
They count everyone that can make a fart app on android too.

Still cool for Sony allowing self publishing. Even thought you could do it on the us xbl indie marketplace. But you don't hear shit about it because you get pushed into the corner. Some minecraft clones made a million i would bet he could have made couple of millions if the market was globally open such a fucked up policies. They do so much for developers but at the same they do so little.

Hope microsoft can also expand that indie marketplace with the WinRT integration and their free visual studio but to do have some us for it you need a $99 dollar per year license to run and debug your game on your home console in my eyes way better then a multi thousand dollar devkit. And there are multiple ways to get it for free from your local ms reps they are really cool too developers got free $500 tickets to tech days and stuff.
If you ask me this is a lost case not having at launch. But it surprises me not given how bad xbone dev environment is compared to the ps4 given the developers tweets about it and rumored hardware problems.

Terrell

Isn't this just the amount of devs with kits?

Cuz that... doesn't always translate into game development. Just saying.

subrock

One thing I was really jealous of on the ps3 was the indie game selection. Can't wait to join the Playstation train on the new console.

Loudninja

PS4 owners are going to be in Indie heaven, maybe this really is the Steambox?
Yep

• Blacklight: Retribution (Zombie) – PS4
  • Contrast (Compulsion Games) – PS4, PS3
  • Pinball Arcade (Farsight) – PS4
  • Warframe (Digital Extremes) – PS4
  • Transistor -PS4
  • Don’t Starve – Klei -PS4
  • Galak-Z – 17-bit -PS4
  • Mercenary Kings – Tribute Games- PS4
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch – Young Horses- PS4
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddyssey New ‘n’ Tasty Oddworld Inhabitants Ps4(Also coming to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita)
  • Outlast – Red Barrels- PS4
  • Ray’s the Dead – Ragtag Studio- PS4
  • Secret Ponchos – Switchblade Monkeys -PS4
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/10/e3-2013-indie-developers-continue-to-choose-playstation/

Not to mention Housemarque is working on a PS4 game.

x360 is still $300 after 8 years, not a chance with how shitty MS has been.

Some journos were expecting a $99 360 announcement and there wasn't one.

Maybe Q4 will still be a competitive one for Microsoft if they do something such as this and just sat on the announcement to save it as their "Oh Shit!" button.

Subsidized Xbone for 199.99 with 2 year XBL contract would do it.

Yeah that makes sense, shave $300 off the price for signing a 2 year contract worth far less then $300 for a service which you'd have to buy anyway in order to do pretty much anything with the console. Good business move.

AkIRA_22

Yep, due to indie policies there will be some really special stuff released for PS4. It's going to be the home for all the best indie games.

While I agree with you, my vita and soon to be ps4 will be my couch and on the go indie machines... The PC is the king of indie games.

Atomski

Not sure why anyone would find this impressive with self publishing included....

If Steam bragged about how many publishers they had based on self publishing I am sure it would even trump Sony's numbers.

Massa

Is Insomniac now on the list of developers?

Would be funny if they're making an exclusive for Sony (Ratchet) and one for Microsoft.

Would be funny if they're making an exclusive for Sony (Ratchet) and one for Microsoft.

Wouldn't be such a big deal I suppose given their history,

What would be a big deal is if Sony hired SOMEONE ELSE to do a Ratchet sequel and gave Insomniac the shaft.

MysticX

image001.jpg

lol, worst developer ever!

Tagg9

I would be very, very surprised if development hasn't already started on a PS4 Ratchet timed to coincide with the feature film in 2015.

syko de4d

2 years xbl is more like 100-120$, so 300$ reduced price sounds a little unrealistic.

And XBL becomming really mandatory on the X1, they would just loose the XBL money with a subscription like this.

onQ123

Didn't save the Dreamcast from the PlayStation 2

Sega Will Give Away Dreamcasts To Lure Subscribers to the Web

Sega Enterprises Ltd., thus far analso-ran in the video-game-machine market, has an audacious new plan to grab market share: Give away the hardware.

Starting in August, Sega will borrow a tactic from the everything's-free world of the Internet and provide its Dreamcast console at no charge. The offer is available to customers who subscribe to a new Sega Web service for two years at $21.95 a month. Customers who have already bought the Dreamcast console, which lists for $199, will get a free keyboard and a $200 check if they subscribe.

Join the Discussion: Are game companies in touch with the desires of their customers?

The company is betting the new strategy will spur sales of its game software and help it tap into the expanding community of Internet game players. "We may give up $400 million in hardware revenue," says Peter Moore, vice president of marketing at Sega of America in San Francisco. But with two-year service contracts, he says, "we can make $1 billion in Internet-service-provider revenue."

Since it introduced Dreamcast in North America in September, Sega's game-console market share has climbed to about 15% from 0.5%. But it is still far behind market leader Sony Corp. SNE -5.47% and No. 2 Nintendo Co., and its rivals planto introduce new machines of their own.

In particular, Sega hopes to steal a march on Sony, which will launch its next-generation PlayStation2 machine in the U.S. this fall. Sales of the new PlayStation in Japan, where it was introduced in March, have been worrisome for Sega: They're way ahead of Dreamcast sales, and sales trends in Japan are often replicated in the U.S. Any market share Sega can gain this year will also help it battle Nintendo's next game player and the X-Box game machine that Microsoft Corp. MSFT -0.91% plans to introducein 2001.

Kafel

Banned
I guess they're indie devs.

I wonder if these guys are thinking in terms of market. Do they think they'll tap in the PS4 power ? They should stay on Vita/PS3 for a moment.

I guess they're indie devs.

I wonder if these guys are thinking in terms of market. Do they think they'll tap in the PS4 power ? They should stay on Vita/PS3 for a moment.

Probably more than just indie. One problem a lot of dev had this gen was making games for PS3 because of the cell. From what I read I think the PS4 is going to be very easy to develop games on.

efeman

Banned
Is there any information on how to actually join the PS4 developer program? If they're opening it up to indies with self-publishing, couldn't it get to a point where anyone could make games?

WolvenOne

Let me know when Sony publishes a list of devs working on PS4 titles. I'd love to see the actual list, seeing as the number itself isn't necessarily entirely significant.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is there any information on how to actually join the PS4 developer program? If they're opening it up to indies with self-publishing, couldn't it get to a point where anyone could make games?

Here ya go!

http://us.playstation.com/develop/

It won't ever get on the scale of something like the iOS App Store since you'll still need a PS devkit to publish games. But if you're a serious dev who's published a game or two, then it should theoretically be very easy to start making PS games.

AznSniper

It's only just a number of developers, but who knows. I believe there was a rumor going around that Insomniac only have Xbox One dev kits. They don't have any PS4 dev kits, but Insomniac is apparently working on a PS3 game though for Sony.

Top Bottom