• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Owners, do you guys not missing Suspend/Resume feature?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I have been very fond of Xbox One recently. The software is just damn good. I was racing on Forza 5 on Nurburgring track, my goal was 10 lap and I was at 6 when I had to go out. So all I did was paused the game then "Xbox Turn off" "Yes".

Few hours later I turned it on, I picked up the game EXACTLY where I was. The more I think about it, I don't even think this as a feature but a necessity and have been using it in so many scenarios that I can't even start naming right now.

But then today I was playing Need for Speed Rivals on PS4. Not a big fan of the game, its my friends copy, but I thought I can hunt down some trophies. So I was trying to get the Heat 10 Gold trophy. I had to go out in middle and I just turned off my PS4, and then realized I will have to start all over again. I wasn't that mad or anything, but I realised that how important of a feature that is.

Now just think about Destiny, GTA, Diablo 3, Assassins. These aren't typical mission oriented games. Where you can just save and quit. But you might be finding some collectables or exploring or I don't know weird ass police chase and half way through you might have to go do something else.

I don't know if I am the only one making this an issue, but the more I think about it. The more I find this very inconvenient. May be there are people out there, who doesn't think this as a big deal since that's how we have been gaming for many year or who only game on PS4. But my question is to people who have both consoles, and do you feel the same?

I have seen people complaining about MP3 and 3D support. But this is way bigger deal for gaming, and I don't see as many complain as there should be. What you guys think?

eznark

Banned
People complain about it in every firmware thread. and yes, it's bullshit. Especially for games that have fuck-awful loading times like Madden and The Show.

It's the best feature of portables, seems ludicrous they can't figure it out on PS4.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't really care, even though I have it on my vita I still don't see me using it all that much on my PS4.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ps4 loads super quickly so it's not a bad a deal as it could be. Hope they can add the feature soon.

Labadal

I don't care about it. I turn a game off or leave the console on if I have to do something else. I can understand why most would want a feature like this, though.

rav

I haven't experienced it on xb1 yet, nothing I've wanted to play on it in a long time. So, I don't miss it on ps4.

To be fair I haven't 'had it' so I can't miss it. And although I'd like it, nothing takes particularly long to load anymore. So I'm not too impatient for it.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I have both consoles, never used it, never will. I don't like leaving any electronics on while they're not being used.

I've got all three current gen systems and while suspend/resume is certainly nice, i really don't notice not having it when using the PS4/Wii U, in fact i still greatly prefer using the PS4 with its UI and controller.

I will say though that it'd be nice to get an update from Sony on the feature.

gruenel

Not really since I usually do long gaming sessions. The 1 minute it takes me to get into the game doesn't matter to me.

I can see why people who play shorter sessions miss the feature though.

SerTapTap

It'd sure be nice, though honestly without many RPGs or stuff I've rarely been like "damn, I really wish I could suspend this thing!" Best thing I guess would be the faster boot-up. Modern games are far less insufferable in terms of there being 10, 20, 60 minutes between save points. For instance FFX-2, the distance between each save point was already getting to me, and I was really only playing it to screw around. But that's on PS3 so suspend-resume wouldn't save my ass anyway.

Certainly hope it shows up before we start getting some JRPGs

Certainly hope we actually get some goddamn JRPGs

S¡mon

Banned
It's disappointing that it isn't here yet, but it generally boots up quite quick and games usually start-up in an instant so I haven't missed it either. ;)

dugdug

Banned
I honestly didn't think I wanted it until I bought an XB1. It really is an awesome feature.

Like, sure, it's only really shaving off a minute or two, but, it's nice to have.

SDCowboy

I honestly couldn't care less about it. I can understand the frustration though, from the people that want it.

The fucking thing updates so often that it makes suspending and resuming a moot point for me. On the verge of opting out of the preview program as a result.

eznark

Banned
S¡mon;125936144 said:
It's disappointing that it isn't here yet, but it generally boots up quite quick and games usually start-up in an instant so I haven't missed it either. ;)

You must not play The Show.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It would be cool to have, I suppose.

But I have to stop gaming immediately all the time, and just go into the controller interface to power down (but not turn off) the PS4.

Sure, I might lose a little bit of progress, but auto-saves and checkpoints these days are typically very frequent.

suikodan

Yeah, I did buy a PS4 expecting this feature that I "abuse" on Vita/3DS/whatever handheld only to find out that it's not available and worse, it's on Xbox One and didn't get (IMHO) as much advertisement as a "key feature" that I expected from PS4.

Months later, I bought a XBone and having a blast with this feature.

So yeah, I can live with it since PS4 does lots of nice things that is more difficult on XBone (mainly the video/picture sharing feature) but I'll be happy when the patch with the feature rolls out.

Wasn't the PS4 supposed to have that? Guess I forgot.

But I have an Xbox One as well and I never use that feature. I use it all the fucking time on my portables, but they have the kinda games where you can pick up and play for a little while then close and repeat. On consoles however, I've never really felt the need.

RoKKeR

Considering this was something Sony announced back in February 2013 it's incredibly disappointing they haven't yet released it.

Definitely a Top 5 feature on the XBO for me, it's just so convenient for situations like you mentioned OP.

curb

Banned
I thought it would be important to me given how much I like it on my Vita but my PS4 time is much more structured than my Vita time. I use my Vita at various time so being able to suspend is great but I use my PS4 in long-ish stretches at specific times so taking a few minutes to load a save point before a play session now seems seems trivial to me.

I think I would feel weird about leaving it in pause for long periods of time in case the PS4 were to get unplugged. I'm sure I will use it for those situations where I have to step out for a moment, currently I just leave the PS4 on so it isn't too differnt.

Prezhulio

I miss it on ps4, but strangely only when I boot up my xbone and take advantage of it. It still feels so novel for a home console that it catches me by surprise.

I Would have had a lot harder time finishing/wanting to play watch dogs if I had picked it up on ps4 instead of xbone with instant resume, that initial load is ridiculous and I would play in 5-10 minute periods here and there.

I'm playing the last of us in a similar pattern and the load is abnoxious. It's not life ruining, but in a world where my gaming time is very limited and broken up when I have free moment occasionally, the minutes sitting at the load screen really add up.

I need it more than ever now. New puppy, new house, all the unexpected things that happen. Sometimes if I pause to do something it may be 1 minute, it may be 1 hour. Just playing TLOU I don't know where it saves and such and I'd love to just pause, turn it off, come back to in a couple hours right where I left off.

I LOVE it on my portables, so stupid it can't be done on the PS4.

No, I don't boot up my PS4 unless I have plenty of time to play it. Suspend/resume is more important on handheld consoles. I wouldn't mind them adding in the feature, but it's fine without it too.

Top Bottom