• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro HDD help

so i just bought a PS4 Pro and i'd like so help and suggestions before i start it up

1) External or Internal?

having 20+ games for my PS4 I know it 1TB won't be enough; it was brutal dealing with 500 GB as it is(well 408 GB) so I definitely want to increase my storage space, looking around the net seems this to be the overall best internal HDD:

Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5-Inch

watching how into install HDD in your PS4 Pro seems so easy even a joe shmoe like me can do it

as for external I was looking it this:
WD 4TB Black USB 3.0 My Passport Portable External Hard Drive (WDBYFT0040BBK-WESN)

obviously it was much more space and I won't have to do any unscrewing of my PS4, really no downside(other than loosing it)

2) should I change the HDD(if I go the internal route) before I start up the PS4 pro?

I'm think is should atleast go throught the start up process so I don't screw up anything, but hence why I'm making this thread.

3) any better HDD than the ones I metioned?

pretty explanatory would love to see your suggestions on any HDD you think are better anf the ones I mentioned. have about $150 to spend on one.

thanks for the help in advance, making this thread befrore heading to work so will respond later.

any more tips and suggestions that I should know please let me know!

JPS Kai

Make sure you have a USB storage device handy because you'll need the full PS4 firmware file (not just an incremental patch. It'll take a little searching) before you swap in a new HDD.

Definitely get the firecuda. It's been the best investment to my Pro and I don't have to worry about locking down a USB port that I would otherwise use for the PSVR and two arcade sticks.

SkylineRKR

I heard external is faster. So I'm planning to replace the 1tb in the Pro with my 2tb thats still in the Amateur. Only because I have it already. If I hadn't upgraded my Amateur I would've kept the 1tb in the Pro and work mostly off eternal HDD probably. 4tb should be enough. I'm still fine with 2tb at this point.

For a HDD switch you'll need the 900mb ish update, which is essentially an update for new hardware. Put it onto an exFAT formatted drive with a PS4 map and UPDATE map within that one.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
SSD internal and 4TB mechanical external is how I roll.

Anything I'm actively playing I play on the internal SSD for faster loading.

OP when I got my Pro I installed my SSD before turning it on once.

I heard external is faster. So I'm planning to replace the 1tb in the Pro with my 2tb thats still in the Amateur. Only because I have it already. If I hadn't upgraded my Amateur I would've kept the 1tb in the Pro and work mostly off eternal HDD probably. 4tb should be enough. I'm still fine with 2tb at this point.

For a HDD switch you'll need the 900mb ish update, which is essentially an update for new hardware.

DF video showed a drive being tested both internally and externally on Pro and internal was faster.

Teepo671

I just picked up a pro today and I'm currently backing up the base PS4's hdd as I'm going to switch the 2tb seagate drive in that ps4 with the pro before I fire it up.

I was wondering, if I just plugged the 2tb hdd from the base ps4 into the pro would it automatically reformat the hdd or would I need to reformat it before plugging it into the pro?

dr_rus

1) Your choice. I hate stuff lying around so I'm all for upgrading the internal one.

2) Doesn't matter, you'll have to reinstall system software in any case and this means that you'll get a completely clean PS4Pro after the HDD switch.

3) I personally would avoid Seagate whenever possible but your mileage may vary.

Sweep14

Sorry for the bump but advice required :

Actually got a PS4 Pro with 1TB internal drive + 2 TB external drive with games spread between the 2 drives

I plan to change the internal drive with Firecuda SSHD 2 TB.

After changing the internal drive and installing the full firmware on it, will I loose the games and datas that are on my external drive ? Will it be recognized without problem when reconnecting it to the PS4 Pro with the new internal SSHD ?

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom