• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

If competition didn't exist there would be no reason to drop the price of the hardware.
If a market is worth pursuing there will be competition in that market.
And there will always be competition for those dollars outside of any given entertainment sector.

A one platform market that doesn't necessitate that prices skyrocket.
You drop your prices to increase the access of your product to lower end market segments.

Even if Sony had been the only game in town during this generation a $599 PS3 would never have taken off with the mass market and they would have pushed to cost reduce.

And I'm not even advocating there be a one platform market, simply that it's nonsense that "competition" means everybody gets an A for turning up.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Please. His Killzone review was an outlier.

Out of 25 reviews on metacritic, his is the lowest score, and it's a full 10 points below the next lowest score and a full 17 points below the next closest score from a gaming site. His score is also 25 points from the mean.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall/critic-reviews

Whether he's come to terms with it or not, he has an agenda, and he is most assuredly a joke of a writer.

I don't think that score qualifies as an outlier. It's the lowest in the distribution, but being 10 points below the next lowest score isn't dramatic at all on a 100 point scale that has been largely converted from 10 or 20 point scales.

You'd need more data points (i.e., scores for more games on multiple platforms) if you want to use review scores to prove Gies is biased.

My gut says he probably isn't demonstrably biased when it comes to scores. Some of the shit he says, though, is easy to interpret as the product of bias. (Though mere interpretation doesn't make it so.)

If a market is worth pursuing there will be competition in that market.
And there will always be competition for those dollars outside of any given entertainment sector.

A one platform market that doesn't necessitate that prices skyrocket.
You drop your prices to increase the access of your product to lower end market segments.

Even if Sony had been the only game in town during this generation a $599 PS3 would never have taken off with the mass market and they would have pushed to cost reduce.

And I'm not even advocating there be a one platform market, simply that it's nonsense that "competition" means everybody gets an A for turning up.

The Wii U is definitely not getting an A right now so I'm not sure how you ended up there. The point is it's not a very healthy environment without serious competition.

I don't get the joke.

What I want is some context. Cheerleaders can cheerlead but I have no idea how much of an achievement this is and hope somebody can make it clear (Road? Parmenides? Opiate?)

It's the same as when CoD or GTA numbers from first week sales come up in the news. The numbers alone never sound impressive to me without some context and a bar for comparison.
The joke is that your own capacity for logic eludes you, so maybe framing it in the world of dbz will help you understand.. I hoped it would but you're a lost cause. Its historical for a console to sell this much in one region (which includes canada and mexico) in the end it doesn't matter if you're impressed or not, but for those who care, an instant install base is a huge deal, especially for 3rd party publishers.

Please. His Killzone review was an outlier.

Out of 25 reviews on metacritic, his is the lowest score, and it's a full 10 points below the next lowest score and a full 17 points below the next closest score from a gaming site. His score is also 25 points from the mean.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall/critic-reviews

Whether he's come to terms with it or not, he has an agenda, and he is most assuredly a joke of a writer.

Jeremy Parish's review is 10 points lower than Gies' review and will be put on Metacritic in the next couple of days though.

The Wii U is definitely not getting an A right now so I'm not sure how you ended up there. The point is it's not a very healthy environment without serious competition.
I'm responding to the notion that's being perpetuated that "competition" dictates that everyone does well. It doesn't. If you don't disagree, then I'm not sure what you're taking issue with.

Being competitive in the marketplace is on Microsoft, and Nintendo, and Sony, and Amazon if they enter the fray with their microconsole, and Apple if they ever get serious about gaming. If they fail to compete on their merits, they fail to compete on their merits. They need to re-evaluate their products and value propositions.

There is no inherent obligation on consumers to prop up everything for the sake of a "healthy environment." They will simply buy what they feel offers the most value.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=386612

Check this thread out and see why most people stopped listening to RebelFM. This was before Gies was hired to any gaming sites. The guy is terrible and we really shouldn't give him any attention. I don't have a problem with his Killzone score, it wasn't that far off from others, but there's at least a dozen other reasons this guy is a joke.

I don't get the joke.

What I want is some context. Cheerleaders can cheerlead but I have no idea how much of an achievement this is and hope somebody can make it clear (Road? Parmenides? Opiate?)

It's the same as when CoD or GTA numbers from first week sales come up in the news. The numbers alone never sound impressive to me without some context and a bar for comparison.

Okay then. Read the numbers and graphs below. Think about those numbers for a few minutes. If it's still not clear to you after that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Apparently:

Playstation 4 - 24hr - over 1 million console sold through
PS2 took 3 days to ship 1 million units,
Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold
Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold
Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold
Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold

Wii is US+Canada, PS2 is Japanese launch, rest is NPD

Debut months in US:

ps3 = 196,580
360 = 325,902
ps2 = 391,245
wii = 476,140
ds = 479,695
psp = 620,000
gc = 647,466

From my massive database, and from a lot of research and digging check out (nearly) all past USA launches (launch month[/B)]:

*=my own projections from various sources, sorry it couldn't be more concrete but I couldn't find SOLD figures for them. Please help if you do indeed have them.

Below is a chart from earlier in the thread.

yhPw43F_zps63b39dea.png

I'm responding to the notion that's being perpetuated that "competition" dictates that everyone does well. It doesn't. If you don't disagree, then I'm not sure what you're taking issue with.

Being competitive in the marketplace is on Microsoft, and Nintendo, and Sony, and Amazon if they enter the fray with their microconsole, and Apple if they ever get serious about gaming. If they fail to compete on their merits, they fail to compete on their merits. They need to re-evaluate their products and value propositions.

There is no inherent obligation on consumers to prop up everything for the sake of a "healthy environment." They will simply buy what they feel offers the most value.

Of course, I'm just saying that having competitors in the field is a much better option for consumers in the long run. Those who struggle will either learn from their mistakes or disappear and let someone else give it a go, if the market can cope with more than one product.

Cassovia

EUROPE

November 29th, 2013. (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom)

LATIN AMERICA

November 29th, 2013 (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru)

Sony's logistics are pretty good so far, some more facts from my territory:

December 13th, 2013 (Czech Republic, Slovakia) - probably Hungary and other EU countries too.

We are receiving around 10 000 consoles (almost all of them are already preordered) with next shipment arriving early next year.

SparkTR

In how many territories?? 1 million in 24 hours in North America..

The more I think about it, the more I'd say Microsoft can get in the same ballpark in NA. Basically, looking at the 360 and Wii, they were severely supply constrained at launch. There was massive demand for them and not enough machines to nearly satisfy everybody. If they had over a million consoles at their respective launches, I don't doubt they would have sold all of them just like the PS4 did. Microsoft just need to get a million machines on store shelves like Sony did, and I don't doubt the demand will out-strip that. I have no idea about Microsoft's manufacturing and shipment details though.

Atomsky

Banned
Umm wait... Didn't Obama mention something like PS4 selling out right after launch a couple of days ago?

Guy must've had some really reliable source!!!

Into

The thing to remember is that Xbox One has 1 "entrance" and that is this friday. They release to NA+UK and a few other western european "tier 1" countries. That is roughly 90-95% of their entire existing market they are releasing too. After that, there is no any other major releases. When they launch in Netherlands, Denmark, Japan etc next year, its not going to yield any kind of major numbers. They are, more or less, releasing to their entire market, 22nd november. They have to do well.

The PS4 however has 3 "entrances", one was in NA and yielded this result, the other is in Europe, their stronghold. Where if they ship 1 million, they will sell 1 million, no question about it. And last there is Japan in february, where they wont do NA and potential EU numbers, but they will still do some decent numbers. How the PS4 does in Japan is somewhat of a mystery, where as it was easy to see that it will do great in NA and Europe.

Which is why, i dont not see how on earth Microsoft is suppose to take charge as market leader here, the PS4 has to completely fail, Wii U style in Japan, and the Kinect 2.0 has to blow peoples mind so hard that it becomes the original Wii type phenomenon. And they have to not only edge them out in NA, but also Europe, a place where Sony dominates.

To me there is too many unrealistic scenarios that are required to make this happen, Kinect sales have been down, motion gaming in general has fizzled out the way of Guitar Hero/Rockband type games, Just Dance is doing worse than previous several years. Japan will still give some fucks about the PS4, with no competition, it will be the only home console to buy there. Wont outdo the 3DS but it will trounce Wii U and Xbox One. And Europe is just not going to start loving the Xbox, if they did not convert this gen, where the 360 launched way ahead of the PS3, with a far more attractive price, then there is no chance.

The more I think about it, the more I'd say Microsoft can get in the same ballpark in NA. Basically, looking at the 360 and Wii, they were severely supply constrained at launch. There was massive demand for them and not enough machines to nearly satisfy everybody. If they had over a million consoles at their respective launches, I don't doubt they would have sold all of them just like the PS4 did. Microsoft just need to get a million machines on store shelves like Sony did, and I don't doubt the demand will out-strip that. I have no idea about Microsoft's manufacturing and shipment details though.

It seems hard to believe that approaching black friday there is that much demand to hit close to this. I don't doubt it will do great including black friday though. It'll also help since the PS4 will be sold out until Black Friday. It will certainly be interesting.
Which is why, i dont not see how on earth Microsoft is suppose to take charge as market leader here, the PS4 has to completely fail, Wii U style in Japan, and the Kinect 2.0 has to blow peoples mind so hard that it becomes the original Wii type phenomenon. And they have to not only edge them out in NA, but also Europe, a place where Sony dominates.

To me there is too many unrealistic scenarios that are required to make this happen, Kinect sales have been down, motion gaming in general has fizzled out the way of Guitar Hero/Rockband type games, Just Dance is doing worse than previous several years. Japan will still give some fucks about the PS4, with no competition, it will be the only home console to buy there. Wont outdo the 3DS but it will trounce Wii U and Xbox One. And Europe is just not going to start loving the Xbox, if they did not convert this gen, where the 360 launched way ahead of the PS3, with a far more attractive price, then there is no chance.

Wait who realistically thinks Xbox One will beat PS4 worldwide? I thought it was just an America discussion here. There is just no chance.

NolbertoS

Wait so is it "shipped" or actual sold?? Either way great news for Sony. They came guns ablazing next gen and now seem to have not taken for granted there there marketshare after being abit arrogant at the start of last gen

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
"PS4™ was designed with an unwavering commitment to gamers, and we are thrilled that consumer reaction has been so phenomenal," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc.

That really says it all when it comes to the overwhelming positive sentiment Sony has built while Xbox has one foot in the grave.

Can't believe I missed 65 pages before noticing this thread... guess I was too busy playing my PS4 all day! Good on ya Sony!

Quite frankly I think we are looking at the next PS2 in terms of hardware sales and market domination. Scoring so many sales early on means that friends and family are also going to have to get one to play with them and we are going to see this spiderweb effect.

As for the XB1 coming close to the PS4 launch it depends on how many units they allocated to NA, its obviously going to sell out like the PS4, but I don't think they shipped any more than 500k to the USA. They will be behind from the start and I don't think they have any chance of catching up.

Zophar

Wait so is it "shipped" or actual sold?? Either way great news for Sony. They came guns ablazing next gen and now seem to have not taken for granted there there marketshare after being abit arrogant at the start of last gen

Sold through to consumers, although making this distinction is meaningless when it's impossible to find one on store shelves.

Mandoric

Banned
If competition didn't exist there would be no reason to drop the price of the hardware.

Lots of people paid $400 for a 360 at launch when it had hit games, and $400 for a PS3 at MGS4 when it had hit games. Competition creating price pressure on a manufacturer isn't a clear winner for consumers when the competition is in who gets which exclusive and systems are sold at break-even or a loss; we might get $50 or $100 off each one, but still have to buy both to get all the games that would be on one clear winner.

Wait who realistically thinks Xbox One will beat PS4 worldwide? I thought it was just an America discussion here. There is just no chance.

No one who is sane that is for sure. Both will be sellouts through the end of the year. There are less XB1's being shipped than PS4s, according to everyone. Common sense dictates that PS4 will then outsell the XB1 for the remainder of the year.

Quite frankly I think we are looking at the next PS2 in terms of hardware sales and market domination. Scoring so many sales early on means that friends and family are also going to have to get one to play with them and we are going to see this spiderweb effect.

As for the XB1 coming close to the PS4 launch it depends on how many units they allocated to NA, its obviously going to sell out like the PS4, but I don't think they shipped any more than 500k to the USA. They will be behind from the start and I don't think they have any chance of catching up.

The thing that will prevent this from being a PS2 like situation in terms of dominance is that the PS2 absolutely crushed the GC and Xbox. It wasn't just a simple 2:1 domination. It absolutely murdered both of them. At the very least Xbox One will probably do well in NA especially once the price comes down so unless One absolutely flops I doubt it plus the console market has contracted in Japan. Also every developer is multiplatform at least for right now, while the PS2 dominance was built off of exclusivity. If Sony can find a western franchise and take exclusivity over it, it would be interesting, but I doubt Sony is willing to pay when they have a huge collection of 1st party stuidos.

Into

Ive seen it mentioned quite a few times believe it or not. MS themselves believe their market share in Germany will go up, there was a thread about it yesterday.

It's sold to consumers "in USA + Canada."

Some people have graphs comparing the first reporting month USA sales to consumers to first-day USA + Canada sales to consumers.

Sony's figures presumably come from internal estimates sourced from reported preorders and retail reports, while the graphs come from figures provided by the NPD Group.

Just making sure you understand this distinction.

SparkTR

It seems hard to believe that approaching black friday there is that much demand to hit close to this. I don't doubt it will do great including black friday though. It'll also help since the PS4 will be sold out until Black Friday. It will certainly be interesting.

I'm just speculating, but demand is never higher for a console than a launch, and barring any supply issues I think there should be a million NA consumers out there who want one during this 'peak' period, in fact I'd say that about every console launch (except maybe the Wii U), they just historically never had enough consoles to go around. Unless the console market has indeed contracted dramatically and the PS4 has soaked up the lions share of consumers, I think it can achieve that goal.

As for worldwide sales, I'd agree the PS4 is looking like the clear winner, but I'm going to wait a few months to see how things pan out to look at that (and the post-launch outlook of both machines).

daveo42

Banned
Great numbers, but not surprised based on the number of per-orders that Sony stated they had earlier in the year. Good news for Sony here on the solid sales numbers.

I guess it's safe to assume Shadow Fall moved similar kind of numbers huh.

You're assuming a 1:1 ratio? I would think not especially with CoD, BF, AC, Madden, NBA 2K vying for attention. You would think at least with massvie downturns for the first 3 that many people were waiting for the next gen versions. Killzone might only be the 3rd or 4th best selling launch title.

Atomsky

Banned
Congrates on PS4 launch!

And the Irony:

Congrats%20to%20Sony.PNG

I think they are pretty into doing things like this. Their IE team used to send cakes to Mozilla when they shipped a new major update to FireFox.

Result? FF started making minor updates major...
guess they really like cakes after all.

Biker19

Banned
The thing that will prevent this from being a PS2 like situation in terms of dominance is that the PS2 absolutely crushed the GC and Xbox. It wasn't just a simple 2:1 domination. It absolutely murdered both of them. At the very least Xbox One will probably do well in NA especially once the price comes down so unless One absolutely flops I doubt it plus the console market has contracted in Japan. Also every developer is multiplatform at least for right now, while the PS2 dominance was built off of exclusivity. If Sony can find a western franchise and take exclusivity over it, it would be interesting, but I doubt Sony is willing to pay when they have a huge collection of 1st party studios.

All very true, though when it comes to most Japanese 3rd party games, you might want to buy yourself a PS4 or a gaming handheld, cause the only Japanese 3rd party games that Xbox One will get are the ones with bigger budgets, like Final Fantasy XV & Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm thinking this vindicates their weird staggered roll-out. They come into Microsoft's back yard, capture the public consciousness, glut the market with product, and cause considerable consumer fatigue due to the amount of money spent, all in the week before the X-Box One's launch. A pure disruptive strategy.

They know Microsoft is going to be unwilling to commit enough units to other territories to gain a similar disruption of their worldwide launch, especially off the back of this news; if anything, Microsoft is likely to retract again to try and consolidate their base market at the cost of potential market expansion. The lead time they give Microsoft in those few European and South/Central American companies becomes almost meaningless, because they can't commit to shipping enough units to them to actually lock in those markets before the PS4 releases in them.

Basically, they gain the benefits of launching in a single country (being able to launch faster with more supply available at launch), and sacrifice very few of the advantages they would have gotten from doing a worldwide launch. That's some balls right there, Yoshi. I'm liking the cut of your jib.

The thing that will prevent this from being a PS2 like situation in terms of dominance is that the PS2 absolutely crushed the GC and Xbox. It wasn't just a simple 2:1 domination. It absolutely murdered both of them. At the very least Xbox One will probably do well in NA especially once the price comes down so unless One absolutely flops I doubt it plus the console market has contracted in Japan. Also every developer is multiplatform at least for right now, while the PS2 dominance was built off of exclusivity. If Sony can find a western franchise and take exclusivity over it, it would be interesting, but I doubt Sony is willing to pay when they have a huge collection of 1st party stuidos.

Perhaps your right, I think I am underestimating the XB1. They can't have these supply issues forever and once they bite the bullet and cut the price or remove Kinect, they can be competitive again. Sony's done it before with the PS3 when everyone thought it was finished. Their supply issues finally ended, they removed BC to lower the price, and they cut the price. And you are right about games being multi platform. Sony couldn't demand exclusivity even if they outsold the XB1 4:1 for the first year. Wii U on the other hand.... I don't think it would be a stretch of the imagination for it to become the next GC in terms of sales and market share and get dominated by the other two.

LordGouda

I wish I was one of those million. However, I'm content with the Wii U right now and I'm too poor to afford a PS4.

I'll wait until a price drop.

However, that is no small feat. I am impressed at how it sold that much in one day! Really shows the Playstation brand has indeed became the biggest household name. More so than even Nintendo probably.

Top Bottom