• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Nozem

Anecdotal evidence time:

Myself: PS3 + 360 -> PS4
Friend 1: 360 -> PS4
Friend 2: 360 -> PS4
Friend 3: PS3 + 360 -> PS4
Friend 4: 360 -> maybe X1, most likely nothing
Friend 5: PS3 -> PS4
Friend 6: PS3 -> PS4
Friend 7: PS3 + 360 -> PC

(This is EU)

In just 1 store here in Lisbon, Portugal, there were over 300 pre orders. As far as I know this has never happened with previous consoles.

Sony is going to absolutely dominate Europe.

Mung

1 million consoles to play killzone shooter and some mediocre platformer

No it's 1 million consoles to play 1st party games and the best console versions of 3rd party games, as well as the guaranteed great games of the future.

Your tears are delicious.

MDSLKTR

Cool story, bro!
You do know that the PS4 has more than just 2 games in their launch lineup, right?
And you do know you get a lot of free games with it, without paying a single cent, right?
And yet that "killzone shooter" is the most impressive, smooth, stable and interesting game of all the lineup. Hell it's my favorite fps of the year so far.

I doubt there are sales figures, but have they pretty much sold through the initial stock they sent to NA?

There are always sales figures, even if they aren't reported publicly.

They don't need the NPD Group to report on USA sell-through. Sony has other avenues for determining early sales of their products.

I just meant for day 2&3 sales info made public. Are we pretty much relying on anecdptal evidence now to determine whether there are still PS4s available to buy instantly?

Outside of Sony releasing them or stuff like NPD, we won't know day2/3 sales info.

Any stock left in retail now would be extremely negligible at best, at the fringe mom/pop stores.

Skeff

Outside of Sony releasing them or stuff like NPD, we won't know day2/3 sales info.

Any stock left in retail now would be extremely negligible at best, at the fringe mom/pop stores.

Looks like a lot of stores released what I can only assume were unclaimed pre orders on the 17th.

EDIT: No Idea how many, perhaps 1% which would be 10k consoles?

x-Lundz-x

Anecdotal evidence time:

(This is EU)

More here:
Me: PS3 + 360 >> PS4
Friend 1: PS3 + 360 >> PS4
Friend 2: 360 >> PS4
Friend 3: 360 >> PS4

This is my group of close friends. We all played on 360 last gen and only myself and my best friend had a PS3 for exclusives. As soon as both consoles were revealed and we saw how much more of a gaming machine the PS4 was over the Xbone we all instantly decided it would be PS4 this gen. We have been playing all weekend and it's been amazing.

I think it's pretty obvious Sony won over the gamer crowd.

1 million consoles to play killzone shooter and some mediocre platformer
That hasn't been my experience at all. Between AC IV, which absolutely surprised me with how good it is, to Need For Speed Rivals which exceeded my expectations, to NBA 2K14 which is so much fun and I'm not even really into sports, to Killzone which frankly I find a bit disappointing, but the multiplayer is great, to all the free-to-play stuff, to Resogun, and on and on, I've not been short of things to play. In fact I've played more video games this weekend with the PS4 than I did in the first 6 to 8 months of 2013 because last gen had just burnt me out.

And don't put so much stock in what the press is saying. I've been watching the streams (again, on the PS4) of Knack and I can see why the people who actually have the game are loving it. It's the Demon's/Dark Souls thing all over again. The press doesn't get it, but the fans are having a blast. If you dig a bit deeper you'll find a lot of variety in this launch lineup. I'm personally having a blast.

that would be highly improbable , they would be like cranking PS4s all the time

That's not highly improbable at all. There will be another big BF shipment and then another for December. They specifically skipped Japan so they would have a lot of stock. 2.5 million shipped is probably the least we can expect.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Between AC IV, which absolutely surprised me with how good it is, to Need For Speed Rivals which exceeded my expectations, to NBA 2K14 which is so much fun and I'm not even really into sports, to Killzone which frankly I find a bit disappointing, but the multiplayer is great, to all the free-to-play stuff, to Resogun, and on and on, I've not been short of things to play. In fact I've played more video games this weekend with the PS4 than I did in the first 6 to 8 months of 2013 because last gen had just burnt me out.

And don't put so much stock in what the press is saying. I've been watching the streams (again, on the PS4) of Knack and I can see why the people who actually have the game are loving it. It's the Demon's/Dark Souls thing all over again. The press doesn't get it, but the fans are having a blast. If you dig a bit deeper you'll find a lot of variety in this launch lineup. I'm personally having a blast.

Yoshida's stream made Knack look so much better than anything we'd been shown at the various live demos. Looked like a solid 7 to me

That's not highly improbable at all. There will be another big BF shipment and then another for December. They specifically skipped Japan so they would have a lot of stock. 2.5 million shipped is probably the least we can expect.

They have to launch in other territories though. Is this 2.5m number coming from somewhere? Or just speculation?

ramparter

Banned
Anecdotal evidence time:

(This is EU)

I hava a Wii and a 360, I'm interested in Wii U for games like SM3DW but if I were to choose between PS4 and XBone I'd get a PS4 guaranteed.

darkwing

oh my, i forgot about black friday, shesh

but are there any new PS4 games coming next month?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
When are we going to start getting SW tie ratios? I know these things take time but maybe after 1 week? I'm very eager to see how things went since I got 3 games myself and I know plenty of people who did the same.

Cheech

Wow ! Just imagine how many more they'll sell when the real games come then :)

The worst part about that drive by trolling is this is actually one of the more solid console launches I can remember as far as games go. I know I've bought more games this launch than any other going back to the Atari 5200 I got when I was 8 or so.

If there is already a thread for "your personal reviews of your PS4 games", I apologize, but:

CoD: It's CoD. Looks decent enough, plays great.
BF4: Fix the network issues, Jesus. But otherwise, I'm sure will be my favorite launch game when Dice fixes their shit, with the most longevity.
Lego Marvel: My kids love the hell out of this game. I had fun smashing things up as the Hulk when one of my kids relinquished a controller.
Knack: Underrated. Really enjoy playing this with my older kid - the younger one finds it too difficult.
FIFA: AMAZING. The graphics aren't mindblowing, but the AI is vastly, vastly improved over older FIFAs. Has me thinking about picking up Madden just to check out the changes there.
AC4: Own it, but haven't played it yet. Waiting on 1080p patch.
Killzone: Just plain bad. A total failure of game design. Getting traded in today.

Overall, the best launch I can remember. I honestly won't need to buy another game until spring.

When are we going to start getting SW tie ratios? I know these things take time but maybe after 1 week? I'm very eager to see how things went since I got 3 games myself and I know plenty of people who did the same.

The software seems to be doing pretty damn well. EA even put up some sort of FAQ about how to find copies of Rivals because they're hearing reports of sellouts.

VinLAURiA

Banned
The worst part about that drive by trolling is this is actually one of the more solid console launches I can remember as far as games go. I know I've bought more games this launch than any other going back to the Atari 5200 I got when I was 8 or so.

If there is already a thread for "your personal reviews of your PS4 games", I apologize, but:

CoD: It's CoD. Looks decent enough, plays great.
BF4: Fix the network issues, Jesus. But otherwise, I'm sure will be my favorite launch game when Dice fixes their shit, with the most longevity.
Lego Marvel: My kids love the hell out of this game. I had fun smashing things up as the Hulk when one of my kids relinquished a controller.
Knack: Underrated. Really enjoy playing this with my older kid - the younger one finds it too difficult.
FIFA: AMAZING. The graphics aren't mindblowing, but the AI is vastly, vastly improved over older FIFAs. Has me thinking about picking up Madden just to check out the changes there.
AC4: Own it, but haven't played it yet. Waiting on 1080p patch.
Killzone: Just plain bad. A total failure of game design. Getting traded in today.

Overall, the best launch I can remember. I honestly won't need to buy another game until spring.
Aren't most of those multiplats that were already out for other systems, though?

Atlas157

Anecdotal evidence time:

(This is EU)

I might as well contribute to this as well.

Myself: 360 + PS3 > PS4

Friend 1: Wii + PS3 > PS4
Friend 2: Wii + 360 > PS4
Friend 3: PS3 > PS4
Friend 4: 360 > Xbone
Friend 5: PS3 > PS4
Friend 6: 360 > PS4
Friend 7: 360 + PS3 > PS4
Friend 8: 360 > PS4 + Xbone

United States

Asd202

I might as well contribute to this as well.

Myself: 360 + PS3 > PS4

Friend 1: Wii + PS3 > PS4
Friend 2: Wii + 360 > PS4
Friend 3: PS3 > PS4
Friend 4: 360 > Xbone
Friend 5: PS3 > PS4
Friend 6: 360 > PS4
Friend 7: 360 + PS3 > PS4
Friend 8: 360 > PS4 + Xbone

United States

Friend 4 forever alone. Oh maybe sometimes friend 8 will play with him :p.

Cheech

Aren't most of those multiplats that were already out for other systems, though?

Sure, but have you seen what BF4 on PS4/XBone/PC looks like compared to 360/PS3? It couldn't really even be called the same game. Same for NBA 2K14. Even CoD and Lego Marvel, the laziest ports of the lot, look far better and sharper.

Just because it's a multiplatform game, doesn't mean you can discount it. I've played generous amounts of FIFA on 360 and now PS4, and the player AI is so far improved on PS4 that again, you can't really call them the same game at all.

I would not buy either the PS4 or XBone for launch exclusives, honestly. Resogun is amazing and my favorite PS4 exclusive by a wide margin, but $400 amazing? No.

No it's 1 million consoles to play 1st party games and the best console versions of 3rd party games, as well as the guaranteed great games of the future.

Your tears are delicious.

Can't wait until the launch reviews are all out. 360/PS3 would've never had any momentum with some of these attitudes. I don't know how folks forget each and every console launch.

I'm sure this is the question of the year. If I wanted to get a PS4 soonish, excluding ebay and craigslist scalpers, what is the best plan of action?

For the record I had a preorder which I canceled (but since it was via Amazon, maybe I dodged a bullet?). Which I regretted, and pre ordered a Watchdog's bundle, which was cancelled because the game was delayed.

Pain

Banned
I'm sure this is the question of the year. If I wanted to get a PS4 soonish, excluding ebay and craigslist scalpers, what is the best plan of action?

For the record I had a preorder which I canceled (but since it was via Amazon, maybe I dodged a bullet?). Which I regretted, and pre ordered a Watchdog's bundle, which was cancelled because the game was delayed.
Maybe wait for Amazon to restock or try your luck around Black Friday in retail.

Top Bottom