• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold over 40 million units worldwide

Ray Down

Banned
Have they even mentioned the Xbox one versions of ffxv and kingdom hearts 3 since announcement? Hell I know Nomura hasn't with kh3

They streamed the Xbox version of the Duscae demo in one video, other than that its been PS4.

Hell Tabata basically said they are prioritizing that version.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
The beast is a PS4

pastrami

Great sales. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up at the end of the gen.

I think it depends on what Sony plans on doing with the PS4. They seemingly aren't doing a die shrink or slim model like Xbox is doing, so there will be a limit to how cheap the PS4 can get. I'm assuming they will just phase out the older PS4 as the PS4 Neo gets cheaper to make, limiting the tail end of PS4 sales. It'll be interesting to see the hardware split when the Neo launches (if we get the numbers).

joecanada

What if the gen is only like 6 years? If they don't make say 100 million in 6 years will people then start saying "oh they only sold 70 million its way down" or will we actually start recognizing sales per year as valid.

jjonez18

What if the gen is only like 6 years? If they don't make say 100 million in 6 years will people then start saying "oh they only sold 70 million its way down" or will we actually start recognizing sales per year as valid.

Barring a catastrophic collapse similar to the Wii, 6 years should be more than enough time for 100m+. It's at 40m with 2.5 years. Even if it doesn't reach it before the PS5 is released it'll do it once it hits budget prices and sells slongside the PS5 for a couple year. Similar to PS1 to PS2.

Edit: No comparable sold-through data for previous PlayStation consoles?

Javin98

Banned
GJ Sony. Comparatively how many units is XB1 at now?
Personally, with how the XB1 has been down YoY notably in two of its biggest markets, I would say the XB1 hasn't even crossed 20 million yet. But since Microsoft prefers to use the superior metric of MAU's, I guess we'll never really know.

Cidd

The fact that Sony still cares about the E3 or even the GDC just showcases how far away Sony is to the really important things.

giphy.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Before i heard anything about the current gen consoles, i had the presumption that MS would destroy everything with their epicness of third party locks, first party avalanche of titles(i assumed that was where all the effort and R&D was going after lackluster last 360 years) and lessons learned from their experiences.

It turned out different than i imagined, and i don't think i could have went back and told my past self without him having burst into laughter.

Sony had lost me for years after their early PS3 debacle and i didn't even really care all that much about what they were doing until the Slim came out.

Goliath

If the PS4 is doing so well then why split the fanbase with a 4K "premium version. They did this with the PS3 and everyone wants the premium version. Why scare early adapters?

Elios83

If the PS4 is doing so well then why split the fanbase with a 4K "premium version. They did this with the PS3 and everyone wants the premium version. Why scare early adapters?

I think the reason is that if they didn't introduce anything new this would likely be the PS4 peak year.
Then as happened in previous console cycles,sales (and profits) would slowly go down until the next round of consoles.
They want to introduce something new enough to keep the interest high (and convince people to upgrade) while remaining within the same gen that they want to extend.
The shift to the 14nm manufacturing process allows them to make this upgrade feasible with a minimum investement.

Freeman

Banned
The PS4 can stand on its own regardless of how the PS4K will affect its sales (PS4 will easily be past 50m at this point). Having two products at two different price points will likely result in more consoles sold overall while also extending a gen where Sony is on top. If priced right they can make both the PS4 and PS4K attractive to different people.

If they could eventually show up with a PS4 Slim it would be even better.

Boke1879

It won't split the userbase though. It's just a premium option for enthusiasts. The OG PS4 will still sell well because it's price point will be more attractive.

Because eventually these sales will plateau and fall off. Hardware refreshes are their way of avoiding that, and to avoid having to start from zero marketshare with another generation and an expensive platform launch.

Elios83

The PS4 can stand on its own regardless of how the PS4K will affect its sales (PS4 will easily be past 50m at this point). Having two products at two different price points will likely result in more consoles sold overall while also extending a gen where Sony is on top. If priced right they can make both the PS4 and PS4K attractive to different people.

If they could eventually show up with a PS4 Slim it would be even better

I was discussing about this in some other thread but I think this can't be considered an optional point.
If they're serious about having a long term dual SKU strategy being able to cut manufacturing costs on the original model, which also needs to be lower priced, becomes an integral part of strategy.
If they're not investing in slimlining the current PS4 it means that there is no long term to keep both models on the market and after a likely transitional period PS4 Neo will simply become the new PS4 on the market.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It would have been largely apparent if they were already. Instead, SE themselves are handling the marketing.

I'm more curious how KHIII will be on Xbox One. KH has totally no history on Xbox consoles and the series is continuous (unlike FF, XI launched on Xbox 360 and all of them are standalone games).

Boke1879

I'm more curious how KHIII will be on Xbox One. KH has totally no history on Xbox consoles and the series is continuous (unlike FF, XI launched on Xbox 360 and all of them are standalone games).

Yea going to be interesting. Especially because I assume at some point SE will put the whole KH collection on PS4.

jeffram

I dont get this.

The PS has been on top 2 generations until the PS3.
Hadn't really thought about that. Only one console has outsold any of sony's 4 consoles during their respective generation. They are 8 and 1 against competition in their history.

Top Bottom