• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of Sony's main appeals to gamers is that the PS4 is a no gimmicks console. There is no kinect, no radical waggle wand. Sure there is a bit of move in the controller but it is still a traditional controller. Thats why I think the effort to bring VR to the market is a mistake. I think gamers want to move past the era of experiments and just want to get back to traditional gaming. The no gimmicks approach is what brought them to the prom. Heck, it even made them the prom king.

Asd202

I'd have less demand at those prices, too.

At those prices and with the quality level of PS+ releases on PS3, I don't think I would be moving on to this gen just yet.

Poland console prices were always ridiculous considering the average salaries.

FeiRR

Banned
I'd have less demand at those prices, too.

At those prices and with the quality level of PS+ releases on PS3, I don't think I would be moving on to this gen just yet.

For a full picture: the price is 10% higher than at launch so the demand must have been high and I only started seeing those boxes in the last two weeks. You can get it a bit cheaper online. I don't know if it's retailers being greedy or if it's an official pricing policy by Sony Poland (I could imagine that, they're not exactly great). Makes me only happier that I got mine at launch.

I also observed that PS4 is quite often given away in various kinds of contests and promotions. Something that had been mostly about Apple products before. It helps to create this image of a "cool, wanted product", smart marketing.

I think one of Sony's main appeals to gamers is that the PS4 is a no gimmicks console. There is no kinect, no radical waggle wand. Sure there is a bit of move in the controller but it is still a traditional controller. Thats why I think the effort to bring VR to the market is a mistake. I think gamers want to move past the era of experiments and just want to get back to traditional gaming. The no gimmicks approach is what brought them to the prom. Heck, it even made them the prom king.

VR isn't just some silly input device, it enhances the traditional experience the same way color or HD did. It can make any experience better and more involving without compromising gameplay or design.

ethomaz

Banned
AmazonUK.

Limber up those digits! More PS4s have arrived and we are in stock. Thanks @PlayStationUK http://amzn.to/1pBuSAT #PS4 pic.twitter.com/CYFGFRA4J2 7:30 AM - 29 Mar 2014

Bj1B3eYCEAEmB9y.png

Yoday

And Sony is getting lucky with all of the Microsoft/Nintendo fuckups this gen. They've got hardly any exclusives out right now and not much lined up for the rest of the year, yet they are still selling a shitton because Microsoft and Nintendo fucked their hardware up beyond belief.
- An extremely well designed console
- Courting Indie developers like crazy
- Listening to developer feedback
- Treating the customer with respect
- Completely redesigning the controller
- Providing an amazing value with PS+
- Focusing on the games
- Fantastic community outreach
- Getting exclusive marketing deals with huge upcoming games

None of these things had to do with luck. If Sony had continued to do business like they had with the PS3 MS would have been able to recover from their fumble. Sony completely changed how they approached running the PlayStation brand, and that alone would have made the PS4 more of a success than the PS3, and would have likely still given them the lead. The fact that MS screwed things up so badly just compounded the situation. Most people also have no clue how much more powerful the PS4 is compared to the XBO. Most of the people that know there is a difference in hardware at all just think that it is due to the more complicated RAM setup, and that developers will get over the hurdle within a year or so.

Just ordered myself a PS4.
So freakin' pumped.

I've already got KZ SF, BF4, and inFamous SS waiting for me!
And a nice Vita ready for some remote play action.

VR isn't just some silly input device, it enhances the traditional experience the same way color or HD did. It can make any experience better and more involving without compromising gameplay or design.

Valve and Sony don't seem to agree with you.
I mean you need to redesign the concept of HUD for one.

Slashlen

I don't think it's experimenting that's bad, it's that a forced include ties the console's fate to the experiment. If the experiment works(and VR could), you can get Wii levels of success. If the experiment fails(like the Wii U gamepad), it's an anchor around the console because it keeps the price up and it associates the console with the failed experiment.

Of course, it helps if the platform holder does more to actually try to make the experiment a success. The Wii U and Xbox reek of including things just to force adoption instead of trying to create real reasons to own them. The Wii remote didn't sell the Wii, Wii Sports did. There's a decent chance Sony doesn't support VR properly either, but at least that just dooms VR and not the console.

Dre3001

I agree 100%, and would not at all be surprised to see Sony VR fail. People are tired of the gimmicks and just want to go back to traditional gaming.

Weaing a headset while gaming is anything but traditional. I look at VR having an effect on games the same way 3D or IMAX has had an effect on movies. 3D and Imax both enhance the movie viewing experience but the majority of people would rather just watch the regular movie without paying for those extras.

Hopefully Sony pulls this off but I definitely think they are putting too much faith in VR being the future of their system.

Majmun

I agree 100%, and would not at all be surprised to see Sony VR fail. People are tired of the gimmicks and just want to go back to traditional gaming.

Weaing a headset while gaming is anything but traditional. I look at VR having an effect on games the same way 3D or IMAX has had an effect on movies. 3D and Imax both enhance the movie viewing experience but the majority of people would rather just watch the regular movie without paying for those extras.

Hopefully Sony pulls this off but I definitely think they are putting too much faith in VR being the future of their system.

Have you ever tried out the Oculus Rift? It's an amazing brand new experience and can add a lot to games.

DBT85

Platform: Jan Results -> Feb Results | Percentage Change MOM

PS4: 271K -> ~269K | [-.7%]
XB1: 141K -> 258K | [+83%]
3DS: ~97K -> ~151K - 156K | [+56% - +61%]
PS3: ~53.5K -> ~103K | [+92.5%]
Wii U: 49K -> 82.5K | [+68%]
360: ~48.5K -> 114K | [+135%]
Vita: <17K -> ~24K | [+41%]

It's funny people keep hanging on to this Feburary was close theory when you look at these percentage increases. Every single console rose in sales to include the lowly Vita. For anyone to look at this and conclude the XB1 and Ps4 would of been close in sales no matter the supply situation they would have to believe Ps4 demand imploded and it had no supply problems. Even if you assume that the Ps4 would of had the lowest increase there 41% that would of put it sales at 382K in Feburary.

Excellent summation. Thank you.

Did anything happen in Feb to drive Xbone sales in or did that all start in March for Titanfall? Because if not, is there any reason the PS4 couldn't have experienced similar percentage increases in Feb were stock available? Also bearing in mind that both PS3 and 360 got bigger bumps.

271 + 83% would take it to 495k which would have been huge.

McLovin

Its an option for those who want it. As someone who really wanted an Oculus I'll definitely pick this up instead.

Lacrus

Excellent summation. Thank you.

Did anything happen in Feb to drive Xbone sales in or did that all start in March for Titanfall? Because if not, is there any reason the PS4 couldn't have experienced similar percentage increases in Feb were stock available? Also bearing in mind that both PS3 and 360 got bigger bumps.

271 + 83% would take it to 495k which would have been huge.

Titanfall Beta comes to mind. PS4 was unavailable for half of Feb ( at least online).

Piggus

VR is not a gimmick. You and others will understand that when you experience it for yourself.

Thorgal

Have you ever tried out the Oculus Rift? It's an amazing brand new experience and can add a lot to games.

Not that you aren't right about it being a New experience but i would like to argue that at one point the same was likely said about 3D.

That being said , i would be very happy if it did succeed .

Aside from scattered retail shortages, it looks as though PS4 supply is finally meeting demand WW. The fact that it seems to be happening everywhere simultaneously is a testament to Sony's supply chain management.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

VR is not a gimmick, though

noobie

Banned
Aside from scattered retail shortages, it looks as though PS4 supply is finally meeting demand WW. The fact that it seems to be happening everywhere simultaneously is a testament to Sony's supply chain management.

People dont agree with you

Lol, no. Netherlands, Germany and Belgium are completely dry. No Ps4 consoles in the stores. You can order one, but who knows when you can actually go pick it up.

I'm still waiting for my Ps4 that I ordered last year. (Netherlands) Stock situation is also dire in Germany and Belgium. Only god knows how many times I travelled to those countries to find a Ps4.

Sony is shipping everything to the US and what's left after that to the UK. What was the point to declare a launch in 500 countries when only two get regular supplies?

Curufinwe

They finally have them at my local Best Buys, which is where I want to get it for ease of return if there's a problem and for Reward Zone points.

But I really need to finish Tales of Xillia first.

Wynnebeck

Banned
They finally have them at my local Best Buys, which is where I want to get it for ease of return if there's a problem and for Reward Zone points.

But I really need to finish Tales of Xillia first.

I have a PS4 and I still have to finish XIllia and a whole bunch of other games. The backlog is real.

Majmun

Fair point, but consider how many units those areas will sell with respect to how much threat XB1 poses to Sony's potential market share.

Germany and France are pretty huge gaming markets...

If you add Spain, Italy, Netherland, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries to the mix, the potential userbase could be pretty huge.

Mainland Europe is one of the biggest reasons why Sony always sells so many consoles, and why it will always sell more consoles than MS...

If you add Spain, Italy, Netherland and Belgium to the mix, the potential userbase could be pretty huge.

Mainland Europe is one of the biggest reasons why Sony always sells so many consoles, and why it will always sell more consoles than MS...

I read a post a few days ago that said Spain was starting to see stock. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. Haven't heard anything about France.

Here we go. It was actually the case that Spain had stock all year, and it recently went out of stock:

PS4 is sold out on Amazon Spain too. I'm noting this because it's been available all year, so it's weird seeing it selling out now.

I guess Ground Zeroes and Infamous are doing well.

Shows that UK hasn't been the only place with some stock available recently, at least.

If you add Spain, Italy, Netherland, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries to the mix, the potential userbase could be pretty huge.

Germany in particular was the biggest European market in terms of revenue in 2013. So, they've grown quite a bit over the years.

Majmun

Starting to see stock doesn't always mean that demand has lowered. NA seems to be stocked quite well as well, but the demand still seems to be huge.

noobie

Banned
Starting to see stock doesn't always mean that demand has lowered. NA seems to be stocked quite well as well, but the demand still seems to be huge.

I think we will see the demand is real or not in March NPD.. PS4 availability was much better so the numbers will be quite telling for the demand

Majmun

I think we will see the demand is real or not in March NPD.. PS4 availability was much better so the numbers will be quite telling for the demand

Yeah, can't wait for the numbers :)

But is the Ps4 readily available in NA retail stores as well? Or just online, like in Amazon?

Yeah, can't wait for the numbers :)

But is the Ps4 readily available in NA retail stores as well? Or just online, like in Amazon?

At least best buys, yes. People have also talked about gamestop allowing pick up in store from their website. Others have mentioned them on target shelves. No one has mentioned walmart though.

FTF

I think there's a slight chance it's hit 7m already, or when it shortly does we may not know it, as I don't think Sony is going to keep updating and making a statement every time it hits another million. I'd say release a statement at 7.5m then 10m and then again after the holidays with whatever number it's at.

I think there's a slight chance it's hit 7m already, or when it shortly does we may not know it, as I don't think Sony is going to keep updating and making a statement every time it hits another million. I'd say release at statement at 7.5m then 10m and then again after the holidays with whatever number it's at.
Usually Sony reports about the next milestone 2 weeks into the next month

Even though they reached that said milestone from the end of the prior month

Takes some time to collect data

Couldn't find your original post just a quote of it somewhere. No disrespect.

No worries, bud. I am glad the post could be helpful for insight. I thought it was incredibly interesting as well

The MOM change from January to February has to be one of the weirdest changes ever in NPD history. Market contracted big time for January likely due to weather which spurned growth unrelated to the consoles themselves most likely

Game Guru

I disagree. I think the difference between the Wii and the Wii U & Xbox One is that its gimmicks were inexpensive. The Wii Remote has a cheap IR camera and cheap motion sensing, so the Wii ended up being $250, the right price for a console without a hard drive and with a game. The Wii U's GamePad and Xbox One's Kinect however rose the price of the respective consoles because those gimmicks were themselves expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom