• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Virtual Reality speculation

CCP's comments fit well here

“Hold on a second, we haven’t confirmed that Valkyrie’s on PC,” he interjected when I idly noted that Dust 514 is the only non-PC extension of the EVE universe. “It’s capable of playing on PC right now, but we haven’t confirmed what we’re going to launch it on.”

“It technically works on PC, and it’s working fine, but there are other platforms it could run on. There’s nothing that technically prevents it from running on a console, for example.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/24/very-odd-ccp-refuses-to-confirm-eve-valkyrie-on-pc/

Valkyrie is built entirely around VR and CCP has a good relationship with Sony after Dust.

DemonNite

Thats not what they said, they said that the stagnated hardware of consoles doesnt fit to the plans of Oculus. The first dev kit could be easily used on consoles but Oculus wants to get better each year like PCs and mobile devices.

edit:
other side of PS4 VR rumors

Product Manager of nDreams says: VR technology “simply does not exist on the PS4″.
nDreams = made Playstation home, working on a PS4 title for 2014, working on a Oculus Rift game.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ps4-vr-headsets-exist-developers-shoot-rumors/

I hope ps4 gets VR because it would push VR on PC too, more platforms for VR would VR just make more attractive overall.

If it were true, we wouldn't tell all studios anyway. Just the best studios would know ;)

Error404

Banned
I wouldn't expect most AAA games to work very well on it. PS4 isn't powerful enough to do that, but lower end games built around VR should work. It is going to be expensive and I predict it will sell poorly.
that was the case with the kinect and that sold well. It barely worked and yet it sold record breakingly well

I think having a ps3 quality game that uses the extra power of the ps4 to up the res and framerate to work with VR is perfectly fine. Sure killzone shadowfall and games like that with ps4 level graphics wont work because they push the hardware for a different goal. I dont see the issue of having ps3 type games with VR while the pc can do better of course it could so what if its behind the curve. Rift would be getting constant upgrades something a sony vr wouldnt be able or want to do. They cant do that anyway so even if they could match the power of the pcs today they would get left behind anyway.

The notion that the ps4 is not powerful enough dont make sense. So it cant run pong and have vr where you look left and right to change perspective? No of course it could and much better just because it cant match a high end pc doesnt mean it cant work the games would just be more simplistic, like instead of ps4 level lighting and assets have it be ps3 level. Why wouldnt that work?

vpance

The notion that the ps4 is not powerful enough dont make sense. So it cant run pong and have vr where you look left and right to change perspective? No of course it could and much better just because it cant match a high end pc doesnt mean it cant work the games would just be more simplistic, like instead of ps4 level lighting and assets have it be ps3 level. Why wouldnt that work?

Of course it will work, downplayers are just confused. They could run TLoU at 1080p 60FPS with room to spare, and I think most would agree that would look very good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Problem is that 60fps must be rock solid for this to be working, which for AAA games are very, very rare on consoles.

And yes, PS4 is generally strong enough for OR, just not strong enough for AAA games with OR.
You will never see big budget game with OR support on consoles.
KZ:SF multiplay visual quality is AAA enough, and if they built SP game around that it would run on more or less rock solid 60FPS I bet. It can be done, you don't even really *NEED* rock solid 60FPS or else people faint or anything like that. I've been using OR on a much less powerful PC than PS4 is, and its problems stem more from discord between positional movement of your body and what's rendered on screen, than anything else, including framerate changes, which the setup we have certainly exhibits in many demos.

Don't forget also, this device would use a custom display, there's nothing stopping them creating a 1600x900 native display if they have a concern about performance. BF4 being rock solid 60 on that resolution is already a reality. That kind of screen just with less screen door effect would be fine. Biggest problem with devkit OR screen is really LCD retention blur, then screen door, and only then pixel size, and that's a 720p screen.

epmode

Seems like a white elephant, 3D TV adoption should show them there's little appetite for things like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8wSw4bBuA

These failed spectacularly, the unit at our local big arcade back in the day sat there unused, nobody even looked at it. Eventually it was replaced with a Daytona.

There is such a massive difference between the Rift and 3D televisions that it's not even worth discussing. The same goes for the Rift versus early virtual reality. It's likely that you haven't really read about the technology.

EVIL

Seems like a white elephant, 3D TV adoption should show them there's little appetite for things like this.

These failed spectacularly, the unit at our local big arcade back in the day sat there unused, nobody even looked at it. Eventually it was replaced with a Daytona.

3d TV and gaming are 2 totally diffrent things and they both have totally diffrent audiences

and these VR arcade solutions where so horrible its not even funny. you had much better solutions on PC back then VFX1 for example and comparing that to the oculus rift is like comparing a black and white TV from the 60's to an HD tv now.

system11

There is such a massive difference between the Rift and 3D televisions that it's not even worth discussing. The same goes for the Rift versus early virtual reality. It's likely that you haven't really read about the technology.

It's like that you haven't considered most people will not want to put goggles on to play games, not to mention the very obvious problems with motion sickness and turning gaming into an exclusionary passtime in the home.

The Oculus Rift exists for the niche who are interested in it, to be honest I think it would be better if Sony are not wasting resources on it. It's never going to be mainstream, it's never going to be the next big thing, it's just some clever technology that ultimately few people need.

I used the video of the hilarious Virtuality stations specifically, because that too was touted as the next big thing, everything had changed. It's not representative of the current technology, but it is representative of the gushing hypetrain.

I'm not worried one bit about the PS4 power, because when push comes to shove, the VR effect will trump any special effect out there. Sure, in a couple of years it no longer will be true because VR will be much more common.

I'm not worried one bit about the PS4 power, because when push comes to shove, the VR effect will trump any special effect out there. Sure, in a couple of years it no longer will be true because VR will be much more common.

Yeah, people saying PS4 isn't powerful enough are out of their minds.

There are plenty of ways to optimize for the experience of VR. Sure, effects won't be as good, but it's not going to be a terrible downgrade....and the VR effect will more than make up for any degradation in effects.

When I play my 3DS and use the 2D mode, the graphics look like absolute garbage. Pixelated mess, static. But when I turn the slider to be fully 3D, somehow the same image quality looks so much better just due to the 3D effect. Only reason I can think of why this happens is because the immersion of 3D takes the focus away from the less appealing aspects of the graphics.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Past generation Sony exclusives had 3D as a driving force and they still did not used 60hz, even though 3D enabled titles would benefit from that.
There's a hell of a lot more excitement and drive for real VR experiences from devs than there was for 3D. If they want to, and many will, they'll go for it.

I hope they can incorporate strobing OLED. Would be glorious.

If the res is 960x1080 or something any game that's 1080p/60fps will work. They can also tone down settings for VR mode. I expect Sony to really push it among internal studios and indies.

Oculus is aiming to work on phones. Absolutely no reason the PS4 can't do it.

I'm not sure you quite understand what they're trying to do in this regard with the Oculus. It certainly doesn't boil down to "it works with phones".

The Oculus Rift exists for the niche who are interested in it, to be honest I think it would be better if Sony are not wasting resources on it. It's never going to be mainstream, it's never going to be the next big thing, it's just some clever technology that ultimately few people need.

To quote Cliff Bleszinski, "There are two types of people when it comes to the Oculus Rift…There are those that haven’t seen it and those that have seen it and believe”".

KKRT00

There's a hell of a lot more excitement and drive for real VR experiences from devs than there was for 3D. If they want to, and many will, they'll go for it.

Sony had tons of 3D related products to push, but they do not have any for VR right now, so why would VR push be stronger than 3D push from them?

------------
KZ:SF multiplay visual quality is AAA enough, and if they built SP game around that it would run on more or less rock solid 60FPS I bet. It can be done, you don't even really *NEED* rock solid 60FPS or else people faint or anything like that. I've been using OR on a much less powerful PC than PS4 is, and its problems stem more from discord between positional movement of your body and what's rendered on screen, than anything else, including framerate changes, which the setup we have certainly exhibits in many demos.

Don't forget also, this device would use a custom display, there's nothing stopping them creating a 1600x900 native display if they have a concern about performance. BF4 being rock solid 60 on that resolution is already a reality. That kind of screen just with less screen door effect would be fine. Biggest problem with devkit OR screen is really LCD retention blur, then screen door, and only then pixel size, and that's a 720p screen.
BF 4 is not solid 60 in MP, so the mode it was designed for.
KZ:SF is far from 60 in MP.

And people said that even 1080p screen are good enough for clear image with OR.

Its actually amusing when PC audience thinks that OR will make sense mostly in SLI Titan equivalent setups for AAA titles, but console owners think that PS4 is enough.
OR is being designed for high end setups 2 years from now, so how should PS4 be even viable for it?

Also i clearly said that they can do OR enabled games on PS4, but those wont be AAA titles, not even from Sony, except maybe for Gran Turismo.

I just hope that Sony is taking the development of their VR kit seriously and not as some measly side project. I don't want them to rush something out that is missing key features or ignores some of they basics of good VR, like latency. This could be a big thing for Sony if they can make a high-quality VR kit and price it reasonably. I don't want to see Sony announce the thing and treat it like the Move (or many of their other peripherals), where it has some small support for it initially but then drops off like a rock and rarely mentioned again. Sony needs to make a very high-quality, technologically sound VR kit and then treat it like a new console or something that people absolutely need to see to believe, similar to how Microsoft basically treated the Kinect when they announced it.

Oculus can benefit from a strong VR kit from Sony, as a good VR kit from Sony would only help to improve the mindshare of VR and that, for a company built from the ground up for VR, is a great thing.

ido

I used the video of the hilarious Virtuality stations specifically, because that too was touted as the next big thing, everything had changed. It's not representative of the current technology, but it is representative of the gushing hypetrain.

The big 90's VR boom deflated as soon as people actually tried it.

The opposite is ocurring now. The hype rises as more people experience it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Perhaps they are simply driving it at 120 FPS ;)

There's a video here from CES '14 that alludes to what Man is referring to:

We have some tricks up our sleeve on the software side of things, John Carmack has invested a lot into continuing to reduce motion-to-photons latency, to help games that may not be able to reach the high enough framerates to get to low persistence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNQHNkJY1g

It would be a crazy expectation to place on all games, to run at 120fps+ to mesh with low persistence. Unless they only want support from games made exclusively for VR, targeting that kind of framerate from the start, but I don't think they do.

Armaros

Sony had tons of 3D related products to push, but they do not have any for VR right now, so why would VR push be stronger than 3D push from them?

------------

Its actually amusing when PC audience thinks that OR will make sense mostly in SLI Titan equivalent setups for AAA titles, but console owners think that PS4 is enough.
OR is being designed for high end setups 2 years from now, so how should PS4 be even viable for it?

Also i clearly said that they can do OR enabled games on PS4, but those wont be AAA titles, not even from Sony, except maybe for Gran Turismo.

And games are obviously going to stay 60 fps and high FoV (for consoles high), later on in the generations...

The new consoles are apparently so magical that devs can push the limits like they did with the ps3 and 360, without sacrificing framerate, resolution, FoV, all of which are crucial to maintain at a high level in order to give a good experience with VR.

Any drop in graphical fedelity will be instantly noticed while using VR, you have on your face, not 4-6 feet away from you.

If it were true, we wouldn't tell all studios anyway. Just the best studios would know ;)

Shots fired! I'm sure the studio that's working on the secret PS4 Colony Wars project knows about it, right? ;)

The Killzone SF space scenes brought tears to my eyes, just imagine a Space Opera on PS4...with VR added on top of it!

Why does it feel like you are hoping for the worst here? I will take KZ 2 visuals at 60 FSP/VR on the spot. I don't need the game to look like Battlefield 4. Hell Skyrim level visuals with VR would be fucking insane.

Does a handful of slightly toned down effects and AA instantly drop a game's AAA status?
Right off the bat, they're going to want to eliminate any motion blur and depth of field effects, right?

Oculus Rift is on record saying neither console is powerful enough.
They're also on record as saying they'd like to work with both console manufacturers, and that their tech will run on smart phones. :p

Reading up on VR the past couple of years, following great minds like Michael Abrash and John Carmack, I have serious doubts that VR is a smart move for the PS4 right now. They both talk about such highend hardware needed for good VR that it instantly cuts out the PS4 out of the race.

This doesn't mean VR on ps4 isn't possible (if you scale down graphics low enough you can easily meet the insane requirements), but everybody who expects Sony to inject some magical sauce into the hardware and simply "optimize" PS3 and PS4 games for VR is delusional.

We are talking about 120fps on a low persistence OLED (to eliminate strobing) at an ideal 4k resolution with high end AA and 16x Anisotropic filtering. The type of games that can be done at those specs are games like doom3, or HL2. If you go higher up the game generational ladder, then you need to lower device specs, which makes the experience worse like (tons of blur and judder because you then lack a low persistence OLED screen) or lower FPS so your head motions cant be translated as acurate ingame causing nausea and motion sickness, Lower resolution so everything becomes less detailed and you get a screen door effect.

I'd hate to say it but VR on the PS4 is simply not something that should be on the cards if you have any hopes of VR making it big. You need an infinitely scalable platform like the PC that raises the bar in performance every month to make VR evolve and expand. Its so early in the VR days that you need these things to mature before you expose it to a mass audience like those available on consoles. Fully expect VR on the PS5 and the next Xbox one but for now it should stay on PC to evolve. (you don't put unbaked bread on the counter for customers to buy)

The reason they mention mobile is because people expect game that graphically look like doom3 on a mobile device, and the platform also raises the bar in performance every month because of the ton of new mobile devices that become available for android. Its why oculus said they will only support android and not iOS since iOS is again a pretty much locked platform with yearly updates in hardware.
Sorry, but this is just a Master Race post. Sure, graphics are better on high-end PCs. We all know this. No one is debating it. That doesn't mean PS4 is insufficient. It can easily do 60fps in stereo, or whatever other hard limits you want to come up with. The only question is what sort of lighting, particles, etc. they can pull off at the same time. As others have pointed out, PS4 could easily do TLoU in stereo at 60fps. I think that's sufficiently wow for most people.

Errrm no.

Running 2 viewpoints would likely take an extra 40% GPU and even less CPU. a VR mode on PS4 would essentially be equivalent graphics to an XB1 game but in stereoscopic 3D
Source? Obviously, I know you don't have PS4 data, but is this based on Rift testing on PC, or what?

They're not rock-solid 60fps because people don't typically projectile vomit when frame rates drop and the devs wanted prettier explosions, not because the PS4 is incapable of producing a steady 60fps. If, as you're trying to imply, people begin to seize with even the slightest drop from 60fps in a VR environment, I'm sure devs will favor framerate over pretty explosions. Yeesh.

There's a video here from CES '14 that alludes to what Man is referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNQHNkJY1g

It would be a crazy expectation to place on all games, to run at 120fps+ to mesh with low persistence. Unless they only want support from games made exclusively for VR, targeting that kind of framerate from the start, but I don't think they do.
I could be mistaken, but I think Durante is saying that if the display needs to refresh at 120 Hz, that's fine; there's nothing that says you need to display 120 unique images. You can run the game engine at 30fps and display each frame four times, for example.

vpance

A relevant Sony patent? Just skimmed through it for now but it references translucent films and light beams. Maybe it's VRD like?

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130286455?dq=inassignee:%22Sony+Corporation%22+retina&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UKnRUqS_HrLlygGLjIDICQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA

The image display apparatus or the head-mounted display unit according to the first embodiment or the second embodiment of the disclosure includes the first mirror, first light deflection means, second mirror and second light deflection means, and converts and emits a light beam emitted from the light source into and as parallel light. Accordingly, an image forming apparatus itself formed, from example, from a liquid crystal display apparatus is not required. Besides, there is no necessity to produce, for example, a two-dimensional image once as an intermediate image in the inside of the scanning means. In other words, an image forming optical system is not required. Therefore, reduction in size of the light source or the scanning means and hence reduction in size and weight of the entire image display apparatus can be anticipated. In the image display apparatus or the head-mounted display unit according to the first embodiment or the second embodiment, the parallel light originating from the light beam emitted from the light source and emitted finally from the second light deflection means is introduced into the eyeballs of an observer. Then, the parallel light passes through the pupil, which usually has a diameter of approximately 2 to 6 mm, of each eyeball and forms an image on the retina, through which it is recognized as one pixel. This is because the light emitted from the second light deflection means is parallel light. Then, such operations are repeated by a plural number of times to allow the observer to recognize a two-dimensional image.

US20130286455A1-20131031-D00006.png

Loofy

Problem is that 60fps must be rock solid for this to be working, which for AAA games are very, very rare on consoles.

And yes, PS4 is generally strong enough for OR, just not strong enough for AAA games with OR.
You will never see big budget game with OR support on consoles.
If thats true then it'll be as much a problem on PC too. I mean, the 290X gets sub 60fps in Battlefield 4, a cross gen game.
We need Occulus to be viable on these fancy $500 steamboxes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

BF4 is as close to rock solid 60FPS in SP as it needs to be. If that's not considered AAA, I don't know what is. I've used dev OR a lot, and while I'm sure not even the 1080p screen will be perfect, 720 is already cool enough, and 900p with OLED would be far better. Things don't have to be "perfect" to be enjoyable. If you think you need 2xSLI Titan to drive a single 1080p screen at 60FPS, that's OK, maybe you want to have some amazing AA on it or something, but for majority of people that's way overkill. To me it's clear that PS4 would easily be able to work with 900p VR screen with just about any kind of game, and I know huge majority of people would be very impressed with how that would look, considering how impressed they are with current, much worse, 720p crappy LCD OR.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seems like it. Expand the viewing size, feed it a stereoscopic source, and boom. They must've figured it out by now.

It showed up again this year at CES, under the name 'Sony Smart Eyeglass':

20140107_092300-100224001-large.jpg

They seem to be taking it in a Google Glass-y direction. There's no firm commercial plans but they're thinking about offering it for use in stadiums during the next world cup, for augmented info displays, feeding different points of view to the user, and recording and streaming out personal viewpoints from the stadium etc.

I still feel that Sony is making a huge mistake going with its own VR solution. Occulus tech is already out there and these guys have put the time into really developing the concept.

Sony should jump on board with them. I mean hell, they have that Eve Starship combat game coming for Occulus. Sony has had prior interaction with CCP on the EVE FPS Dust 514. They could work with them to get a PS4 version of EVE: Valkyrie going.

I think the VR console naysaying comes from a place of fear. People want OR to succeed and they think any competent VR solution in the console space threatens that. Pretty odd since OR will always win on specs alone.

I don't know enough to say what the likelihood is of this happening, or how successful it would be, but I would love for them to try. A VR setup and the move controllers could make for some amazing experiences.

This thing needs to look like Cyclops'/Geordi La Forge's goggles with the external front lights interacting with the Eye camera.

I think this will be announced at E3 this year, but the price point will have to be $199 or less, hopefully much less.

In my experience with Sony, they bring out these peripherals and then just don't support them much, making me feel like I didn't get much value out of them. During the reveal they need to have some big name titles supporting it, or even requiring it to really push it.

Do they / we really think a 3D sculpting / puppetry game would sell this? Or even a puzzle game?

If the EyeToy, PS3 Eye, and Move are any indication of where this will go, I don't think people will be missing out on much if they choose to skip it.

That being said since the PS4 announcement, it seems like Sony has reinvented itself, so I'll judge it once I've got my hands on it.

vpance

It showed up again this year at CES, under the name 'Sony Smart Eyeglass':

20140107_092300-100224001-large.jpg

They seem to be taking it in a Google Glass-y direction. There's no firm commercial plans but they're thinking about offering it for use in stadiums during the next world cup, for augmented info displays, feeding different points of view to the user, and recording and streaming out personal viewpoints from the stadium etc.

Specs on those glasses from CdrInfo:

The Sony eyewear prototype houses two small LED projectors, which register data onto a holographic strip in both lenses of the glasses. It features a transparent, 1mm thick lenses with a 90% see-through transmittance and an LCD with a brightness of more than 1,000cd/m2 and a resolution of 400 x 240 pixels. Its weight is 40g.

Up the res and then we're talking. I cant imagine how much these glasses would cost but I guess this is where HMD tech will be headed eventually. Staring into a big LCD strapped to your face seems to be a bit of a heavy handed solution.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still feel that Sony is making a huge mistake going with its own VR solution. Occulus tech is already out there and these guys have put the time into really developing the concept.

Sony should jump on board with them. I mean hell, they have that Eve Starship combat game coming for Occulus. Sony has had prior interaction with CCP on the EVE FPS Dust 514. They could work with them to get a PS4 version of EVE: Valkyrie going.

I thought this at first as well but, as we've seen this year in the console market, competition is good for all of us and as long as Oculus keeps raising the bar it'll force Sony and it's studios to do the same. If only one device came out and tanked, then that'll be it for VR for a while but two devices competing could help keep prices low and give more attention to the movement as a whole. I'd love for a small start up like Oculus to be a de facto standard but if they don't get the resources going then the entire tech goes no where. I don't want Sony to destroy Oculus at all, not by a long shot, but I think they have a chance to get VR to the mass market with the PS4 instead of just PC enthusiasts like Oculus.

Recon

Banned

------------

If that is what OR is aiming for, I dont see how it can be more than a niche product. The requirements to run games for it is too high apparently.

Billen

Banned
All I know is that I need Valkyrie. While I have a hard time grasping a generation striving for 1080P suddenly being able to "do it twice".

I would love if it meant games in vr with graphics similar to No Mans Sky, The Witness etc.

jax

Banned
if they did it right there'd at least be a reason to buy a PS4. The Personal 3D Viewer was heavy as hell and uncomfortable, but maybe this will be different?

tehPete

Banned

Nostalgia moment - I actually had my first taste of VR at the Trocadero when I was a kid; we set out to see the Nickelodeon studio, & on the way out came across this - turning what had been an otherwise boring day of sightseeing around London into the best day ever! It was running a car football-type game, and I was awful at it but I didn't care :D Ty for the video link!

On-topic - The PS4 VR future was sealed for me with the new camera specifications; 3D 640x400@120fps will allow for servicable body motion tracking and replication in VR, and it can even capture at 240fps (albeit at 320x192) if needed. VR really needs full body motion tracking to work, and this allows for it nicely.

Top Bottom