• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price drop in the United States beginning this Sunday (2023-08-06)

chonga

it has been everywhere
in 2021 a bag of 185gr of doritos is 1,70 euro now it's 2,70 euro
It is the US, they're probably 50 kilo bags.

'Chips' as they call them have always been way more expensive in the US compared to Europe, no idea why.

Makes the price of the Spiderman console seem that much higher
Since this is a temporary discount, all PS5 models will be around the same price once that bundle is released anyway.

Sony wants to have those huge sales starting in August with thee discounts...then the PS5 bundle in September...Spider-Man 2 release in October...Black Friday in November...Christmas in December. And a redesign somewhere in here.

These next 4 months are going to be insane for PS5's hardware sales and nothing is stopping that train.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
7uqv1l.jpg

jim ryan from ''the art of console war''

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ve felt a price drop was long overdue, there’s times where console manufacturers go to long without a price drop.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Definitely a stock clearing situation. My guess is PS5 Slim will come in at $399 or $349 for the discless version.

sn0man

What if there is `no` PS5 slim in the traditional sense?

What if the Slim is just the PS5 DE, but a new revision of it that gives it a disc drive bay? So the DE covers would still work. It could explain why we are or have not seen any leaks of the new model.
If you’re telling me I can get the DE form factor with a disc drive slot then I’m sold

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not to get political or whatever, but the cost of groceries in general have been on the rise in the states.

And this is mainly due to things that aren't political too. It's the nature of the economy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They’d planned for their hardware revision to launch around September for a while, but the timing of this to clear inventory is also perfectly timed to suck the money out of people’s pockets before Starfield launches and to drive install base ahead of what will probably be a very aggressive Xmas season.

TOTAL MINDSHARE

sacred-symbols-episode-265-total-mindshare-v0-DJ3JWTpuuPIpwhuW7IFmQldXaJlePE9KBsbFB2rpOo4.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I am fully in team slim. Just thinking about an alternative possibility. I could see the slim just being the current DE, albeit a different version of it. One that allows you to slide in/snap on a disc drive attachment (to be sold separately). I mean if I saw something like that I am saying I won't be surprised. A lot of shrinking would have to be done to everything else in that DE PS5 to allow for something like that.

Well yes, but this is all on the assumption that whatever design they go with on the new SKU wouldn't also use some sort of covers too?

The bold WILL be what the new PS5 is. Not sure why people are expecting a true "slim" PS5.

Yeah, here in Latin America, that's about as much as we pay for that.
But then I saw that in some American stores they were selling a dozen eggs for like $6 and I was like "WTF?".
That amount of money buys almost three dozens. What's going on over there?

We had an issue with chickens for a few months that caused the price of eggs to skyrocket. That issue is basically over now.

Good news for those looking to buy. Now's a great time to dip in.

Also nice to see a sale for the DualSense. Been sitting on a wonky right stick for a few months and could use one. Plus it'd be nice to do some couch co-op with a few games. That sexy black one is looking fine.

Generic

Still too much, especially considering it was released almost 3 years ago. No console should be more than $300.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I forgot they had the purple color. Might grab it against my better judgement.
It was a total impulse buy for me because I didn't need it. Couldn't help myself the day it went up on PlayStation Direct. It's the only one I ever want to use.

That said, if I ran across that red one on sale I would probably get that, too.

splattered

It was a total impulse buy for me because I didn't need it. Couldn't help myself the day it went up on PlayStation Direct. It's the only one I ever want to use.

That said, if I ran across that red one on sale I would probably get that, too.

Funny, red and purple are the two controllers I've purchased so far

Kerotan

Well that all but confirms a slim most likely late next month. Sales will be huge between now and Christmas.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
wait is Food this expensive in the US? 2 bags of doritos for 10 ?
that's why electronics are so cheap there:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Those are party size.
Yeah, here in Latin America, that's about as much as we pay for that.
But then I saw that in some American stores they were selling a dozen eggs for like $6 and I was like "WTF?".
That amount of money buys almost three dozens. What's going on over there?
There was a shortage, but they never hit that price where I live, they were like $2.28/dozen and they limited you to 2 cartons. Now they’re $1.54/dozen on Walmart.com.
—-
On topic, I really want that purple dualsense, but black will do to match my DE with black plates.

To the ones saying that this is a desperation move, the PS4 launched on November 2013 at $399

By October 2015 they cut the price to a permanent price of $349, almost 2 years after launch

And introduced the slim on September 2016 at $299.

The PS5 is going to 3 years and never had any permanent/temporary price cut in the US until now.

Orbital2060

If its a permanent global price drop, then Id assume its because of the Switch2 incoming. And the leaks of it coming in 2024. And not something to do with Xbox. Although Sony might find themselves in a situation where both Xbox and Nintendo have cheaper consoles than what they got, and Xbox having a huge library of game pass games and the added value that comes with that. They migjht have to adjust the price of the PS5 because of that, a Switch 2 that beats the PS5 on price and then Xbox with Series S + game pass.

Tsaki

My guess is they're all discless for $399 and you pay Sony extra for a disc drive If you want one.
I agree. I don't think Sony wants to go back to losing money/barely making profit from selling the PS5 at this point and a $350 price tag would lead to that. Taking into account [BOM + packaging + shipping + retailer cut + taxes + currency fluctuations], that low of a price would be pushing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom