• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 UI hopes and ideas

Jubenhimer

Generally speaking, the PlayStation 4's User Interface is pretty good. The home screen is simple to navigate, its relatively fast, and subsequent updates brought some useful functionality like folders and themes. It's not perfect however, and with the PlayStation 5, I have a few tips and ideas on how to make it better.

1. Ditch the "Live From PlayStation" stuff - The Share button can stay. In an era of social media and online sharing, having a button dedicated to that is now thankfully standard. The ability to upload screens and clips to social media should also stay, as should the ability to livestream from the console without a capture card. What should be dropped however is the omni-present, live social feed that pop up in EVERY icon, along with the Live from PlayStation app. I don't know about you,, but these just feel like useless gimmicks that nobody really uses. If I wanted to watch what other people were playing, I'd Ioad up YouTube or Twitch, I don't need the console bombarding me with what other people or my friends are doing. Have that stuff isolated to the friends list where it makes sense, and keep the home screen to JUST my games and software. Also, Have the screens and clips isolated to a dedicated Album tab, like how it is on the Switch

2. Forgo the labyrinth of menu prompts - It feels like when you're trying to do anything on the PS4, you're constantly bombarded with layers of menu prompts that just feel needlessly obtuse. You get menu prompts for...

*trying to close an app
*choosing whether you want to save a screen or video clip
*bringing up apps currently running
*turning off the console
*putting the console into sleep mode
*waking the console up (which takes forever BTW)
*choosing which profile to log in to
*starting up a game
*viewing your save data.

STOP. we don't need this many menus for basic actions. It's distracting and makes the most simple processes like saving a fucking screenshot take longer than they should. How about this.

3. Use button chords for different actions - Rather than slogging through a maze of menus, why not take a page from iOS or the Switch and give the user multiple options with just a few simple input chords. Instead of backing out the home screen to bring up currently running apps or put the system to sleep, why not have those functions be dictated by PS Button Chords. Double tap to bring up currently running apps, hold and swipe the touch-pad down to access notifications, tap to go the home screen, long press for sleep, and hold and press Options button for power settings. Instead of taking the user out of the game to ask what they want to share when they press the share button, why not map those functions to how they press the button. Single press for screenshots, double press for video clips, and long press for live-streaming. And if you need a menu for more sharing options, a simple PS + Share Chord will bring up a sub-menu without taking you out of the game. There, you got the same options available, without having to pointlessly slog through menus all the time. Was that so hard?

4. Let us re-arrange the layout of apps - Originally, the PS4 home screen organized software based on most recently used. While this got the job done early in the system's life, the ever increasing library made it tedious to navigate. How about taking it a step further though. Instead of just a single strip apps, why not have customizable rows like the 3DS. Pressing the L1 or R1 buttons changes how many rows are displayed at a time. And you can move them to any position you want. Swiping up on the touch-pad or pressing a button could bring up an All Software screen, and can let us pick and choose what we want on our shelf at any given moment. Keep the folders, and you have the perfect home interface on consoles.

5. Tweak the task bar on top - The task bar currently is fine, but could use a few tweaks. Keep the existing tabs like Profile, Friends, Trophies, PS Store, and Settings. But merge Chat and Messages into a single tab, and rename it Conversations as they're basically the same kind of thing. Move the Web Browser to the task bar as its own tab, and add dedicated Save Data, Album, and Controller tabs for easy access.

That's all I have for now. Like I said, the PS4 UI as it is now is very good, but some significant improvements could make it Amazing.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

The current PS4 interface is fine.

For the next generation, just keep the interface mostly the same with some refinements.

No need to fix what isn’t broken.

Sure, it's fine, but its far from perfect. I think Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo should strive to make their system UIs the best and most simple they can possibly be.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I think it’s pretty smooth and lean as is.
My biggest complaint is the forced media apps, I want to remove the apps I have no interest in.

Otherwise I want a stats menu that displays time spent in games and other game specific stats that can be easily setup by the devs.

Gifting would also be great to have.

GamesAreFun

Banned
I'm not fussy about the UI, as long as it's reasonably fast and not too difficult to use. I like the Wii, Wii U, PS3 and PS4 UI, all fine.

A bit trivial, but a UI becomes special when it has cute details and good music, though perhaps it doesn't fit with Sony's image now. I still vividly remember the charming music from various built-in Wii software.

Dante83

Banned
I hope there is infinite scrolling or a something to that effect where once you scroll to the end and if you still continue further, it bounces back to the first app or item.
This is unrelated, but please improve the download speeds. It is very much needed!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't really care how it looks, I just want it to be simple and responsive, I'm not gonna spend that much time on UI.

Just keep the UI clean and make it snappier. Also clean up some of the crappy menu layouts.

Off topic:

PLEASE Sony. Add a dial around the D pad on dualshock 5 as a mock wheel to use in racing games. It's time a dedicated small grippy dial is added (maybe add force feedback function to this mechanism too).
The days of driving with analog stick should be a thing of the past. You cant achieve smooth driving line with analogue sticks. Can also add menu navigation to the dial to serve other functions part from just driving games.
It would be nice for the dial to have some resistance when driving or the ability to adjust resistance as well.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Built in Clan support.

Ie, let me organize my friends list by setting up a group and adding certain members. Allow games to recognize these grouping in game and preface your name, etc.

More options the better... clan leadership, etc. Games could automatically sort friends list with clan at the top, etc.

Probably would need to limit each person to a single clan for simplicities sake.

TimFL

I don‘t care how the UI looks in the end as long as it has feature parity with the PS4 feature set. Tired of every new console generation pressing reset and starting from scratch, requiring years to hit feature parity with the old generation.
If we start off with another generation that lacks basic fundamentals like contextual PS button for notifications (yep PS4 lacked that fancy „Press PS to open Message / Trophy details“ for a year+!!!) I‘ll fucking riot. Get your grip together Sony.

That being said half or your points are non-issues that beg me to question if you‘re even using a PS4. The share button thing can already be set to do just that (single press for screenshot, hold to open the menu or w/e).

Bryank75

Banned
I dunno, UI seems fine.
I had this idea that PlayStation could award trophies for Nintendo Switch games, you just plug into USB and it awards the relevant ones for what you've done. That would solve Nintendo not having achievements and be a motivation for Nintendo players to have a PS5 too.

Virex

Banned
Keep the current PS4 UI. It does what it needs to do. I just play games so I don't need a bloatware UI with 100s on sub menus to get something simple done etc. PS4 UI is great so just use that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't care, just keep it simple and fast
No more than 1 core + 1GB dedicated to OS

That would keep it slow. Unless they could run it on a separate SoC with its own RAM, you will need to give it more resources on the CPU side, but mostly on the RAM allocation side. A good chunk of that RAM can be given back to the game when the game is back to the foreground (games are and still need to be designed to treat a chunk of RAM they have as temporary storage that has to be recreated if the OS claims it and releases it like in this case).

Also, let’s separate the system reserved CPU, RAM, and GPU resources from the UI.
The home screen UI deals with a lot of network data and caching info is essential to smooth and fast UI operation. I would like a UI that is fuller features than PS Vita (which was certainly no slouch in this regard) and much faster than PS Vita too (PS Vita OS is the definition of speedy ;)).

Last edited:

SonGoku

That would keep it slow. Unless they could run it on a separate SoC with its own RAM, you will need to give it more resources on the CPU side, but mostly on the RAM allocation side.
PS4 uses 1.5 Jaguar cores, considering a Zen2 core is 5x the performance shouldn't that be enough for a snappy interface?
I've read SSD could serve as a cache for suspended apps bringing OS RAM reserve while in game down to 1-2GB

Does that sound reasonable? They could have a secondary arm cpu with its own ddr4 ram (2-4gb) as well

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS4 uses 1.5 Jaguar cores, considering a Zen2 core is 5x the performance shouldn't that be enough for a snappy interface?
I've read SSD could serve as a cache for suspended apps bringing OS RAM reserve while in game down to 1-2GB

Does that sound reasonable? They could have a secondary arm cpu with its own ddr4 ram (2-4gb) as well

When the game is paused in the background it needs basically 0 CPU resources (RAM/CPU reserved by the OS is not the same as resources for the PS5 UI, until you stop pausing the game when you go back to the console main UI screen) and normally is designed to give RAM back to the OS. Using SSD as virtual RAM and main RAM as a cache mostly may reduce RAM requirements, but it is not a proven silver bullet yet.

Look at your web browser and moderate websites you are loading... modern console UI’s use quite a bit of web components in parts of their UI. Now, look at how much RAM they use... ;).

SonGoku

Look at your web browser and moderate websites you are loading... modern console UI’s use quite a bit of web components in parts of their UI. Now, look at how much RAM they use... ;).
I don't mind out of game resource use as long as in game is minimal (1 core and 1-2GB)
I'd rather they don't add more features if it means sacrificing in game resources

Just copy and paste the Vita UI.
giphy.gif

GymWolf

I like the ps1 style with 2 fucking icons, games and saves.

If i want to watch netflix or youtube i have another 38482738 devices, console are for games and stop...

Fuck i'm old...

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I find the UI pretty good, continue to refine it, I would mostly keep it the same - no real issues with it. Back in the day the PS Store would load slow for me, but even that seems to be pretty snappy.

Just copy/paste xbox360 ui and call it a day. Current clustercrap that is in ps4 is terrible.

No thanks, blades back in the day was easy to navigate. Metro style they implemented wasn't even half-ass, it was like a 1/10th ass effort. Now none of my game library coverwork shows up offline, which is all the time now for me as I don't allow my Xbox to touch XBL anymore. Once they put all those stupid avatars and Metro-1/10th ass effort in, went straight to crap.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Something really clean and minimal like the android Niagara launcher would do me...

Niagara-Launcher-Benach.jpg

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The PS4 UI is pretty simple and good overall now.

I absolutely hate the TV & Video section though. Going into a menu and scrolling past featured content ads and apps I don't even have downloaded is awful. Let me put YouTube or Netflix on the home screen.

Your PSN store wishlist not carrying over from their app is stupid.

Nymphae

Banned
Turning off the controllers should be simpler than it is. I remember when things used to have on and off switches.

Turning on is one button - great! Turning off, I have to long press the home button, go all the way to the bottom (because the menus don't let you press up to quickly get to the bottom), over, select turn off device, select which device, then press the button.

It should be something like, hold the PS button for the context menu, then hold the touchpad for 2 seconds to turn it off. You're welcome Sony.

Last edited:
If they make it faster they can just recycle the current one, I don't care, it's painfully slow and opening the store feels like a chore. Last time it froze while I was trying to watch a trailer.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Speedy like ps4 (even though bloat and updates eventually slowed it down some). I also hope the web browser is faster. Ps4 web browser was definitely step up in speed compared to ps3. I hope the os is highly customizable but simple.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just keep it simple and ad free. I only use my consoles for gaming and just need to quickly launch the couple of games I’m playing at a given time. I do my digital shopping in a PC on the web store.

PS4 UI is fine for my needs, but I’m fine with changes as long as it stays clean and simple.

Korso

Have it properly detect how much free space you have... 60GB free space only need 10 but for whatever reason it says I dont have enough...

theDeeDubs

I absolutely hate the TV & Video section though. Going into a menu and scrolling past featured content ads and apps I don't even have downloaded is awful. Let me put YouTube or Netflix on the home screen.

Yeah this is my biggest beef with the UI. I just want to have the apps I use in a folder that I make.

Turning off the controllers should be simpler than it is. I remember when things used to have on and off switches.

I think I read holding down the ps button for ~10 seconds will turn off the controller. It might be slower, but it avoids having to select from a menu.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I just want a UI that doesn't crap it's pants just because I've been browsing the store for too long. They put a band aid on the problem by restarting the store app when it does crash (used to show an error message), but if you were in the middle of going through a long list of games you get thrown back to the top again.

I don't want it to look the same (just for the sake of something new) but the basic concept is fine. The biggest things I want is to be able to opt out of the Live thing and delete apps I don't use.

I don't care, just keep it simple and fast
No more than 1 core + 1GB dedicated to OS
That's not realistic, considering the fact that you need 1GB just for the PVR buffer (15 minutes of 720p30 H.264 video).

There's a reason the PS4 OS consumes 3.5GB of RAM. Expect an increase if PVR gets a bump to 4k60 recording, even if they switch to H.265 (AV1 is highly unlikely to be ready for 2020 consoles/GPUs).

And no, there's no way to disable that. One reason that explains PS4's success is the Share button & social media combo. Nintendo did the right thing by copying this.

We may not like it from a tech standpoint (old school consoles didn't even have an OS), but word of mouth via social media seems to be a necessary evil these days. :)

Btw, the ARM SoC (Aeolia) does not handle PVR at all, even though it has its own RAM pool. PVR is part of the Radeon GPU pipeline (VCE/UVD) and it will be the same for Navi.

AFAIK, it doesn't work like that.

All consoles (Vita/PS4/XB1/Switch) use suspend to RAM (in low power mode) to make the process as fast as possible.

I'm not a fan of WebGL on PS4, if that's the reason it feels sluggish sometimes (although not as bad as XB1 UI):

Can't they just go back to good ol' C++? :)

Last edited:

SonGoku

That's not realistic, considering the fact that you need 1GB just for the PVR buffer (15 minutes of 720p30 H.264 video).

There's a reason the PS4 OS consumes 3.5GB of RAM. Expect an increase if PVR gets a bump to 4k60 recording, even if they switch to H.265 (AV1 is highly unlikely to be ready for 2020 consoles/GPUs).
Yikes that's terrible, there's no way to move recording to a secondary DDR4 pool with ARM CPU?
If we get 24GB we have a bit more leeway to give say 4GB reserved - 20GB games
AFAIK, it doesn't work like that.

All consoles (Vita/PS4/XB1/Switch) use suspend to RAM (in low power mode) to make the process as fast as possible.
But the PS5 SSD is supposed to be blazing fast (1GB/s+), it can move background/suspended apps to the SSD until you use it again

Last edited:
Top Bottom