• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: I would take internet Popups of the early 2000s than the Ads today. It's going to get worst

We gotta do something about ads today guys. Ad blockers plugin and VPN software are just a band-aid to a cancer that will only get worse when AI starts getting commercialized.

It's not a if and a fkn when.

At every level, ads are plauging the net:

Home: Your smart televisions (enable by default) selling your Netflix/Disney+ searches who also sells your data to brands and advertisor.

City: your ISP and Email Provider and Search Engine reading and selling your emails and web history.

National: Microsoft and Amazon selling your shopping and buying habits.

Not even network-level ad filters, while they will still block ads on your network, that information is still being tethered.

There needs to be a drastic shift in how the net works.

For the past 30 years, we had 3 decades of generations try to bring awareness with little changes.

Internet 2? Web2.0? What should we do to break this shakle?

Will we just find the next bandaid plugin or software (as they milk us the same way) and live with this disease?

Do we need a digital Ghandi who fast from the Internet and it convenances, or a virtual MLK who envisions a web where human data is as physical as flesh and bones, or some Messiah like AI who shows us a different way to communicate without the intentet all together? I watch too much star wars and dune.

Nonetheless, change must happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They need to step up the data collection if you ask me - I'm still getting ads for shit I am not the slightest bit interested in.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Idk, going by Musk/Twitter threads that pop up every so often, advertisers are our great moral arbiters and should dictate our daily lives. 🤭

Last edited:

Mistake

Support open source software and services like Quad9. The main issue we have now is that the average person doesn't know how to protect themselves with how complicated everything is, so we all suffer because they're getting taken advantage of. If you ask the average joe what a DNS is, do you think they can tell you? Nope.

Also, our products are made in china, and their ads are aggressive. It's so bad there, I saw ads on a damn projector. So if you think it's bad now, just wait

Last edited:
Last edited:
Support open source software and services like Quad9. The main issue we have now is that the average person doesn't know how to protect themselves with how complicated everything is, so we all suffer because they're getting taken advantage of. If you ask the average joe what a DNS is, do you think they can tell you? Nope.

Also, our products are made in china, and their ads are aggressive. It's so bad there, I saw ads on a damn projector. So if you think it's bad now, just wait
Thanks for the reply. I looked into Quad9 briefly and what I gather is it's just another bandaid software / service to the larger problem that is ads controlling how the intentet is shaped. It filters x from y network.

I don't just want to be blind to ads, I want them to not have an influence over the net even when I don't see them.

Top Bottom