• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Internet's Original Sin. Inventor of the pop-up ad says he is sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A long and interesting article. I'm only taking bits from it:

Ron Carlson’s short story “What We Wanted To Do” takes the form of an apology from a villager who failed to protect his comrades from marauding Visigoths. It begins:

"What we wanted to do was spill boiling oil onto the heads of our enemies as they attempted to bang down the gates of our village. But as everyone now knows, we had some problems, primarily technical problems, that prevented us from doing what we wanted to do the way we had hoped to do it. What we’re asking for today is another chance."

I use the first personal plural advisedly. From 1994 to 1999, I worked for Tripod.com, helping to architect, design, and implement a website that marketed content and services to recent college graduates. When that business failed to catch on, we became a webpage-hosting provider and proto-social network. Over the course of five years, we tried dozens of revenue models, printing out shiny new business plans to sell each one. We’d run as a subscription service! Take a share of revenue when our users bought mutual funds after reading our investment advice! Get paid to bundle a magazine with textbook publishers! Sell T-shirts and other branded merch!
Think of it as an advertising future, or perhaps the world’s most targeted ad.

At the end of the day, the business model that got us funded was advertising. The model that got us acquired was analyzing users’ personal homepages so we could better target ads to them. Along the way, we ended up creating one of the most hated tools in the advertiser’s toolkit: the pop-up ad. It was a way to associate an ad with a user’s page without putting it directly on the page, which advertisers worried would imply an association between their brand and the page’s content. Specifically, we came up with it when a major car company freaked out that they’d bought a banner ad on a page that celebrated anal sex. I wrote the code to launch the window and run an ad in it. I’m sorry. Our intentions were good.

Cegłowski’s speech explains why Tripod’s story sounds familiar. Advertising became the default business model on the web, “the entire economic foundation of our industry,” because it was the easiest model for a web startup to implement, and the easiest to market to investors.Web startups could contract their revenue growth to an ad network and focus on building an audience. If revenues were insufficient to cover the costs of providing the content or service, it didn't matter—what mattered was audience growth, as a site with tens of millions of loyal users would surely find a way to generate revenue.

The key part of investor storytime is persuading investors that your ads will be worth more than everyone else’s ads. That’s because most online ads aren’t worth very much. As a rule, the ads that are worth the most money are those that appear when you’re ready to make a purchase—the ads that appear on Google when you’re searching for a new car or for someone to repair your roof can be sold for dollars per click because advertisers know you’re already interested in the services they are offering and that you’re likely to make an expensive purchase. But most online advertising doesn’t follow your interest; it competes for your attention. It’s a barrier you have to overcome (minimizing windows, clicking it out of the way, ignoring it) to get to the article or interaction you want.

Once we’ve assumed that advertising is the default model to support the Internet, the next step is obvious: We need more data so we can make our targeted ads appear to be more effective. Cegłowski explains, “We’re addicted to ‘big data’ not because it’s effective now, but because we need it to tell better stories.” So we build businesses that promise investors that advertising will be more invasive, ubiquitous, and targeted and that we will collect more data about our users and their behavior.

I have come to believe that advertising is the original sin of the web. The fallen state of our Internet is a direct, if unintentional, consequence of choosing advertising as the default model to support online content and services. Through successive rounds of innovation and investor storytime, we’ve trained Internet users to expect that everything they say and do online will be aggregated into profiles (which they cannot review, challenge, or change) that shape both what ads and what content they see. Outrage over experimental manipulation of these profiles by social networks and dating companies has led to heated debates amongst the technologically savvy, but hasn’t shrunk the user bases of these services, as users now accept that this sort of manipulation is an integral part of the online experience.

What I wanted to do was to build a tool that allowed everyone to have the opportunity to express themselves and be heard from anywhere from a few friends to the entire globe. In 1995, there weren’t a lot of ways to offer people free webpage hosting and make money. Charging users for the service would have blocked most of our potential customers—most of the world still doesn’t have a credit card today, and fewer did in 1995. E-payment systems like PayPal didn’t come online until 1999. But because Tripod’s services were free and ad supported, users around the world found us and began posting webpages they could not host elsewhere.

The great benefit of an ad supported web is that it’s a web open to everyone. It supports free riders well, which has been key in opening the web to young people and those in the developing world. Ad support makes it very easy for users to “try before they buy,” eliminating the hard parts of the sales cycle, and allowing services like Twitter, Facebook, and Weibo to scale to hundreds of millions of users at an unprecedented rate. This, in turn has powerful network effects: Once all your high school classmates are on Facebook, there’s a strong temptation to join, even if you don’t like the terms of service, as it’s an efficient way to keep in touch with that social circle.

An ad supported web grows quickly and is open to those who can’t or won’t pay. But it has at least four downsides as a default business model.

First, while advertising without surveillance is possible—unverifiable advertising was the only type of advertising through most of the 20th century—it’s hard to imagine online advertising without surveillance. The primary benefit of online advertising is the ability to see who’s looking at an ad. Simply paying for online advertising requires surveillance, if only to eliminate clickfraud. And if Cegłowski’s theory is true, there’s no apparent escape from escalating surveillance to create more attractive business propositions.

Second, not only does advertising lead to surveillance through the “investor storytime” mechanism, it creates incentives to produce and share content that generates pageviews and mouse clicks, but little thoughtful engagement. ....

Third, the advertising model tends to centralize the web. Advertisers are desperate to reach large audiences as the reach of any individual channel shrinks....

Finally, even attempts to mitigate advertising’s downsides have consequences. To compensate us for our experience of continual surveillance, many websites promise personalization of content to match our interests and tastes.

More importantly, Cegłowski offers us a way forward through his own actions. Cegłowski wrote and maintains Pinboard.in, a simple and powerful bookmarking service with an unusual business model. Each user of the service pays a one-time fee, which rises a fraction of a cent with each new user. (When I signed up for Pinboard, it cost $5, and now costs a bit more than $10.) The cost has the benefit of keeping the service spam-free—Metafilter has seen some of the same benefits from their nominal membership fee—and has meant that the service has been profitable since it was launched. Users can upgrade to a $25-per-year version that archives every webpage you bookmark, creating a permanent, searchable archive of your journeys through the web. Cegłowski promises that he will never sell ads on the site and never sell data to third parties, reminding us, “If you’re not paying for your bookmarking, then someone else is, and their interests may not be aligned with yours.”

One simple way forward is to charge for services and protect users’ privacy, as Cegłowski is doing with Pinboard. What would it cost to subscribe to an ad-free Facebook and receive a verifiable promise that your content and metadata wasn’t being resold, and would be deleted within a fixed window? Google now does this with its enterprise and educational email tools, promising paying users that their email is now exempt from the creepy content-based ad targeting that characterizes its free product. Would Google allow users to may a modest subscription fee and opt out of this obvious, heavy-handed surveillance?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
81747-Woody-Harrelson-wiping-tears-w-pcKl.gif

ElRenoRaven

Yea. Apology not accepted. I'm sorry but thanks to him the internet is a shitty shitty place where people are bombarded by ads and where there is an arms race to see how many more ads can be shoved into our faces.

Pagusas

Elden Member
People may think ads ruined the net, but I honestly believe they saved it. Without them everything would either be subscription model or non-existent. The ability to make revenue is what allows a lot of places like Gaf to exist. I highly doubt evil lord could/would keep this place up if it couldn't at least cover its own bills.

Futureman

People may think ads ruined the net, but I honestly believe they saved it. Without them everything would either be subscription model or non-existent. The ability to make revenue is what allows a lot of places like Gaf to exist. I highly doubt evil lord could/would keep this place up if it couldn't at least cover its own bills.

definitely.

and funnily enough for some reason all the ads on NeoGAF are big black rectangles right now ha. And no, I don't run ad blocker.

It must suck to be a guy that thinks ads are what makes the internet so great.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yea. Apology not accepted. I'm sorry but thanks to him the internet is a shitty shitty place where people are bombarded by ads and where there is an arms race to see how many more ads can be shoved into our faces.

Someone else would've invented it six months later.

kick51

Banned

it's really not nearly as bad as it used to be. you don't know intrusive internet until you've surfed on Windows ME using IE.

StMeph

The pop-ups and hijacking ads are awful user experiences, but advertising is pretty critical to making the internet as ubiquitous and free as it is. I don't know that any other economic model would have allowed it to become what it is now. Free airwave TV runs on advertising. Hell, even magazines and newspapers run on a combo payment + advertising. Without it, it wouldn't be the same.

So we would still have gotten to the horrible "innovations" in advertising online anyway.

Koppai

Because a lot of the time when you buy a car you get fucked lol. Good thing we have had popup blockers for the longest time. :)

M3d10n

Yes.

plucked_goat

Neo Member
In real ancient Greece, that gesture would have spared the Gladiator.

Sorry to stray off-topic, but I believe you are correct on the gladiatorial gesture - I think tucking the thumb inside was a signal to the victor to spare the gladiator, while keeping the thumb upwards condemned the defeated gladiator. Unfortunately, however, you've made a slightly bigger historical error in your post :p

Pagusas

Elden Member
It must suck to be a guy that thinks ads are what makes the internet so great.

How did you possibly get that from what I wrote? They are something that allows the internet in its content rich form to exist, a means to an end. Do I like taxes? No. But I do like nice roads, easy to access water and utilities and the other aspects they support. Ads are the same way, something there that allows content that otherwise would have to be directly sold to us to exist in a "free" environment.

I actually love the bottom ad on NeoGAF. Its always Amazon, so if I do a search for something and I'm waiting for a sale I just keep checking the bottom ad for the price to change. It's genius.

How did you possibly get that from what I wrote? They are something that allows the internet in its content rich form to exist, a means to an end. Do I like taxes? No. But I do like nice roads, easy to access water and utilities and the other aspects they support. Ads are the same way, something there that allows content that otherwise would have to be directly sold to us to exist in a "free" environment.
Now you're talking about taxing the internet. My god dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom