• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UPDATE: IT'S A BUG (for now)] Apparently, Ubisoft is experimenting with pop-up ads in the middle of video games now

n111ck

The ad was not a fake, it was a "technical error"

-

Ads on dash board and ads in the middle of playing a game aren't the same thing.

What is with the disingenuous correlation between the two here by multiple users?

Three pages of nerd rage and it was a bug all along - grievance culture sucks lol..

King Dazzar

Ads on dash board and ads in the middle of playing a game aren't the same thing.

What is with the disingenuous correlation between the two here by multiple users?
Was said tongue in cheek.

However if you genuinely cant see the correlation between: booting up a console and having to move past and interact with a full screen ad, to then have another 3 large adverts permanently be on your home page. And this. Then I'd suggest the irony is that its maybe you being disingenuous. All part of the same problem: intrusive advertising.

Three

And look what happened to mobile games. Complete horseshit . There is no real games there anymore. Its all made for you to buy stuff in game stuff, coins or subscriptions. In the past you could do a on time larger purchase and unlock everything, get rid of ads or they had games that were full no iap.... now most don't even give you that option. Some would require paying $100s of dollars to get the full benefit.
I lucked out by being grandfathered in to some apps for a lifetime membership...all was good until the "new version of the app" required a sub, lifetime was "only for version 1 of the app" . Shit recently seen this same behavior in office applications.. it never ends.
Some games like Angry birds even removed their apps because it was doing well as a purchase, to try and get them on the games that show ads for reoccurring revenue.
In a somewhat unrelated note Amazon echo devices tried advertising to me and for a laugh I said "alexa, stop advertising to me". who knows, I thought, maybe it would listen. It pleaded the 5th. I tried again and it doesn't even say they can't be turned off, it just straight ignores you with silence.

n111ck

That's a weird ass "technical error".

No - 'weird ass' would be having an ad pop up every time you tried to look at the map.

Those pop ups are from Ubisoft Connect which runs in the background with all their games so obviously a bug.

Three pages of nerd rage about ads being added and now, lets see, a further three pages of nerd rage because ads aren't being added.

Xyphie

Seems pretty clear that the map screen is made in like XML and has some network functions for telemetry or whatever and some intern messed up the redirect, but gamers gotta spergout.

Three

Seriously?

Dude, just chill.
I'm pretty chill dude. Somebody else seems kind of triggered in this thread:
This is so obviously a bug with a pop up from the Ubi app - get a grip lol..
Three pages of nerd rage and it was a bug all along - grievance culture sucks lol..
Three pages of nerd rage about ads being added and now, lets see, a further three pages of nerd rage because ads aren't being added.

Just weird how this guy with so few posts and a 2010 account is contributing 8% of his entire post history in this thread while simultaneously complaining about others posting. Just guessing there is something personal about it for him to be this upset about people talking about it. I don't know, Ubisoft employee maybe.

Last edited:

n111ck

Just weird how this guy with so few posts and a 2010 account is contributing 8% of his entire post history in this thread while simultaneously complaining about others posting. Just guessing there is something personal about it for him to be this upset about people talking about it. I don't know, Ubisoft employee maybe.

Clearly I have to get every post approved by Ubi marketing first and its a long process.

Whereas you can just post any old crap ad nauseam.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's finally happening

3yuN55f.png

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Doesn't surprise me with Ubisoft, i turn the overlay off when i'm playing Assassin's Creed just to get uninterupted gameplay, because it does cause problems while i'm playing, i don't need to know about other games to buy when i'm in the middle of playing one of Ubisoft's games anyway, i can do that before or afterwards, they are getting even worse now and they were bad before!.

SJRB

Gold Member

Yes, an amazing bug that magically created code for a fullscreen banner that triggered after a button press, including screen adjustment and UI input commands to go to the store and dismiss the message.

Amazing how a few lines of code just randomly create this output, isn't it?

n111ck

Yes, an amazing bug that magically created code for a fullscreen banner that triggered after a button press, including screen adjustment and UI input commands to go to the store and dismiss the message.

Amazing how a few lines of code just randomly create this output, isn't it?

Sigh..

StereoVsn

No - 'weird ass' would be having an ad pop up every time you tried to look at the map.

Those pop ups are from Ubisoft Connect which runs in the background with all their games so obviously a bug.

Look, it’s ok to take money from Ubi or being employed by them. If you are though defending what surely are upcoming AD tests for a multibillion corps known for terrible practices, well, then you are an unpaid shill which is much worse then a paid one. Also, a shill that’s going to be ignored.

clarky

Gold Member
This will never fly. Not in the middle of gameplay.
No, but before a game loads in, inbetween levels? and on in game billboards? I'm surprised this isn't already wide spread. especially in FTP games.

But yeah gross either way. I fucking hate ad's and avoid when ever possible.

FeralEcho

Yeah everyone jumps to hate/cynicism.

Be better people. My buddy is playing through Odyssey right now and this has not happened to him.
Ofc people rightfully jump to hate on these shit companies when they at every turn try to nickle and dime us.Did you enjoy that 100 dollar full priced MW3 3 hour dlc expansion buddy? Cuz If you stay there taking it up the ass these companies will continue extending that dong far up yours till you say stop but it'll be too late then. So no...we shouldn't be better.These shit ass greedy companies need to start being better and we need to start being more vocal about it cuz they for sure won't stop on their own unless we speak with our wallets.

Klayzer

euDX9YT.gif

wvnative

Ofc people rightfully jump to hate on these shit companies when they at every turn try to nickle and dime us.Did you enjoy that 100 dollar full priced MW3 3 hour dlc expansion buddy? Cuz If you stay there taking it up the ass these companies will continue extending that dong far up yours till you say stop but it'll be too late then. So no...we shouldn't be better.These shit ass greedy companies need to start being better and we need to start being more vocal about it cuz they for sure won't stop on their own unless we speak with our wallets.

I agree some of these publishers are way over the line, first person to criticize them, and ubisoft has been shit the last few years.

But getting angry before understanding the full situation is stupid and unproductive. Criticize obvious intentional bullshit. Like MW3, which is objectively DLC turned premium game, regardless of what activision says, the xbox disc straight up installs MW2 lol.

And I do speak with my wallet, getting everyone else too is the challenge.

JayK47

Has anyone been able to duplicate this? How is this worse than Forza 7 ads in Forza Horizon? The ads in Forza games last way longer.

StereoVsn

Has anyone been able to duplicate this? How is this worse than Forza 7 ads in Forza Horizon? The ads in Forza games last way longer.
You shouldn’t coming back with “Microsoft Too”. Instead you should be going “This is shit. AND MS is shit for doing same in Horizon”.

Of course we already had Xbox thread with Full Page ads for COD that people were defending.

In short, don’t stan for MultiBillion $ or MultiTrillion corporations.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Technical error my ass.

They dipped their toes to see the reaction.
On a side note it’s crazy that they already have the ability to inject ads into your games whenever they wish. And there’s no one that has your back except other players.

Last edited:

n111ck

Technical error my ass.

They dipped their toes to see the reaction.
On a side note it’s crazy that they already have the ability to inject ads into your games whenever they wish. And there’s no one that has your back except other players.
Ubisoft connect has been around for years.

Top Bottom