• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Xbox Resi4 deadzone workaround is available for Elite controllers

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, it's not really a RE4 Deadzone Fix, so much as a way to set your controller to instantly skip past the deadzone so as soon as you move the stick, the game detects it.

I've done it and it seems to work perfectly, takes about 10 seconds.

I can't edit the title for some reason, but this is apparently possible with Dual Sense Edge controllers too.

This guy explains here (for Xbox)

Given that it's such a simple fix and is so effective, I can't believe that it's not a simple parameter change that Capcom haven't already patched it for all controllers.

Last edited:
I defaulted to controller on my 4k tv, gave mkb on my monitor a go and enjoyed the game so much more. I wonder if this was why I wasnt enjoying on controller?

Kydd BlaZe

I’ve been holding off buying this game because I heard it was a mess on console (PS5 has a different issue with image quality). I was patiently waiting for Capcom to fix these issues, but it looks like they still haven’t even ACKNOWLEDGED any of these problems at all. Utterly ridiculous…at this point I don’t even know if I want buy this game to support this kind of shoddy development, even with this workaround.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Aiming issues in a game where where you literally have to aim at stuff to interact with the game world - and a remake game at that, i just can't...

Listen, i love Capcom but this is pure bullshit and the fact that it hasn't been fixed - or even acknowledged - yet by them is just wrong not to mention incredibly lazy that it wasn't picked during playtesting.Where's the Quality control ?

I just got increasingly jaded with modern "AAAA gaems" and the state they release in, why even reward companies with such practices ?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

PSA: Then it is not fixed.
Fix implies they have resolved the issue but they’ve yet to even acknowledge the problem. This is a workaround.
DpQ9YJl.png

Thanks for the info OP. Hopefully Capcom releases a patch, as they should have already, but it's nice to have something to help in the meantime.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
thank you dualsense edge!
1) Did you feel like this was a problem with the PS5 game originally 2) Did you actually test this to see if it made a significant difference?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS5 version doesnt suffer from this, so you wouldnt even need a DualSense Edge.
Unless you use your DualSense Edge on PC.
PS5 is the one with the low res graphics, not the one with the dead zone.
The PS5 actually has some minor deadzone issues (not as bad as xbox but still), i prefer none thats why i tweak the deadzone on my edge controller.
1) Did you feel like this was a problem with the PS5 game originally 2) Did you actually test this to see if it made a significant difference?
Honestly i dont know, before i hop in the game i just tweak the deadzone, i have finish hardcore and profesional mode, now heading for hardcore S+ rank, so far the aiming feels fine.

Last edited:

Evolved1

Guess
The PS5 actually has some minor deadzone issues (not as bad as xbox but still), i prefer none thats why i tweak the deadzone on my edge controller.

Honestly i dont know, before i hop in the game i just tweak the deadzone, i have finish hardcore and profesional mode, now heading for hardcore S+ rank, so far the aiming feels fine.
Guess I’m a little confused. Dead zone settings on the Edge controller are zero by default. To my knowledge you cannot really reduce it beyond the game’s minimum default. You can adjust analog sensitivity curves, but that doesn’t really address an issue where pushing the stick doesn’t register an input. I’m confused by this thread.

Banned
this doesn't change the Deadzone, this simply changes the reaction curve.

and while the reaction curve is one of the issues with the game, the Deadzone is by far the bigger issue.

and the only way I know how to improve the Deadzone is by using an 8bitdo controller and "smushing" the reaction curve and inner deadzone by increasing the outer deadzone, which pushes the rest of the input range of the stick towards the inner circle.

Banned
thank you dualsense edge!

the dualsense edge literally has no way to improve the Deadzone tho... it works exactly like a default dualsense in that regard

it can be set to a 0 deadzone, but that's basically every controller nowadays, that's the default.

a setting you would need in order to decrease the native deadzone of a game would be a negative/anti deadzone setting, which the Edge doesn't have

Last edited:
I'm playing the PC version with an Xbox controller and while I initially struggled with the controls after some adjustments I seem to be doing fine. Just my two cents.

Edit: it definitely feels worse than Re2 and Re3 Remakes though.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm playing the PC version with an Xbox controller and while I initially struggled with the controls after some adjustments I seem to be doing fine. Just my two cents.

well that would be because it's not as bad on PC.

deadzones in this game on PS5, SX and PC are ~12%, ~35%, and ~25% respectively

well that would be because it's not as bad on PC.

deadzones in this game on PS5, SX and PC are ~12%, ~35%, and ~25% respectively
Gotcha. I thought I was crazy during my first playthrough that it felt slightly "off" and I was wildly missing shots. Spent about 20 minutes in the menus and after 20 hours of playtime I'm doing ok. Would like to see a patch soon though - sniping, hitting the Regenerador parasites, and targeting specific parts during boss battles is still a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Edit: it definitely feels worse than Re2 and Re3 Remakes though.
Try changing the right analog stick to emulate mouse via steam controller config.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Guess

Guess I’m a little confused. Dead zone settings on the Edge controller are zero by default. To my knowledge you cannot really reduce it beyond the game’s minimum default. You can adjust analog sensitivity curves, but that doesn’t really address an issue where pushing the stick doesn’t register an input. I’m confused by this thread.

the dualsense edge literally has no way to improve the Deadzone tho... it works exactly like a default dualsense in that regard

it can be set to a 0 deadzone, but that's basically every controller nowadays, that's the default.

a setting you would need in order to decrease the native deadzone of a game would be a negative/anti deadzone setting, which the Edge doesn't have
wait so whats the point of the dead zone setting on edge ? im confused.

Banned

you can make it bigger so that you can avoid drift.

sadly no "pro" controller that I know of has a negative deadzone setting. all they allow you is to increase the deadzone or turn it off.
a negative deadzone setting would have literally saved RE4 on Series X instantly...

EVERY console maker should take a good look at what Steam does. the settings you have in Steam should be available on all consoles, where you can change your whole layout, deadzones, and reaction curves on a game by game basis like on Steam... maybe even mouse emulation on the stick for the few games that support mouse.

in the Steam version you can simply add a 25% negative deadzone to your controller, maybe slightly adjust the reaction curve to speed up the native one the game has, and DONE... RE4 controller aiming fixed without being beholden to incompetent developers who have no idea how to properly do controller aiming... well to a point... you can't fix the worst of the worst, like games with excessive axial deadzones or ridiculously bad unavoidable acceleration.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I loved every single second of ny time with this game on pc but seriously, the fact that so much people have complained about this and they still haven't done shit is infuriating.

Capcom wake the fuck up honestly, this is a real issue that must be fixed quick
RE8 (I think RE7 too...I think RE2 and RE3 were fine) has the same deadzone issues on XBox and do you know what Capcom did? FUCK ALL! They might be on a roll in terms of releasing banger after banger since 2017 but...They are really assholes for this. Game is still playable for sure, but controls are absolute ass and must totally make the shooting gallery stuff a nightmare because it's already hard on other platforms.

Last edited:

Evolved1

I guess if your stick was drifting, you could raise the setting a bit to compensate. Not every game has deadzone settings, so it doesn't hurt having a system level redundancy. That said, if your stick was drifting on the Edge... it's specifically built to swap sticks lol

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
sadly no "pro" controller that I know of has a negative deadzone setting. all they allow you is to increase the deadzone or turn it off.
a negative deadzone setting would have literally saved RE4 on Series X instantly...
Isn't that what this thread is showing?

Banned
Isn't that what this thread is showing?

nope. this shows how to change the reaction curve.
the reaction curve of the game is also really bad, especially in combination with the awful deadzone, but the deadzone stays the same with this solution.

the only way to change the deadzone on Xbox that I know of is using an 8bitdo Ultimate.
that controller's app lets you increase the outer deadzone. doing that will squish both the reaction curve and the inner deadzone towards the center of the stick. meaning it will both make the deadzone smaller, and somewhat improve the reaction curve.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
nope. this shows how to change the reaction curve.
the reaction curve of the game is also really bad, especially in combination with the awful deadzone, but the deadzone stays the same with this solution.

the only way to change the deadzone on Xbox that I know of is using an 8bitdo Ultimate.
that controller's app lets you increase the outer deadzone. doing that will squish both the reaction curve and the inner deadzone towards the center of the stick. meaning it will both make the deadzone smaller, and somewhat improve the reaction curve.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference, all I know is that I move the stick and the reticule now moves immediately. By my understanding the dead zone is gone.

I forgot to switch modes on the controller yesterday and couldn't work out what was off, so it definitely helps.

Going the other way makes call of duty feel like you just drank a gallon of coffee. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Banned
I'm not sure I can tell the difference, all I know is that I move the stick and the reticule now moves immediately. By my understanding the dead zone is gone.

I forgot to switch modes on the controller yesterday and couldn't work out what was off, so it definitely helps.

Going the other way makes call of duty feel like you just drank a gallon of coffee. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

you might have a really weird definition of "moves immediately" then.
because the fact is that it won't move until your stick is tilted around 30% to 35%, even with the instant reaction curve. normally a game should be 10% and less at most

edit: a video showing the 8bitdo fix

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The deadzone is shit and needs fixing...saying that ive completed the game with no issue. I'd rather they fix that odd texture bug first...or infact all of it at once.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
you might have a really weird definition of "moves immediately" then.
because the fact is that it won't move until your stick is tilted around 30% to 35%, even with the instant reaction curve. normally a game should be 10% and less at most

edit: a video showing the 8bitdo fix

I don't know if you have tried the fix, but I just compared the two profiles on my controller and it certainly seems like less stick movement is necessary to move the reticle with this amended setting than the standard profile. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but when actually playing the game it feels much better, definitely doesn't feel like you need to move the stick a third of the way off centre to register.

I would go as far as to say that if you didn't know it was a problem, when mixed in with Leon's weapon sway, you might never realise.

Last edited:

Banned
I don't know if you have tried the fix, but I just compared the two profiles on my controller and it certainly seems like less stick movement is necessary to move the reticle with this amended setting than the standard profile. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but when actually playing the game it feels much better, definitely doesn't feel like you need to move the stick a third of the way off centre to register.

I did try the Elite 2 yes.
what you feel is the reaction curve being more agressive.

the reaction curve of the game is extremely wide, this means it will only start moving extremely slowly once you are out of the deadzone.
the video I linked also shows how to improve the controls on an elite (using a different reaction curve it seems tho) as an alternative to the 8bitdo solution
so the game will feel more responsive with the Elite 2 controller solution, but not due to a smaller deadzone, simply due to the turn speed being way faster right off the bat

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I did try the Elite 2 yes.
what you feel is the reaction curve being more agressive.

the reaction curve of the game is extremely wide, this means it will only start moving extremely slowly once you are out of the deadzone.
the video I linked also shows how to improve the controls on an elite (using a different reaction curve it seems tho) as an alternative to the 8bitdo solution
so the game will feel more responsive with the Elite 2 controller solution, but not due to a smaller deadzone, simply due to the turn speed being way faster right off the bat
Ok important to get that out there, thanks

Aiming issues in a game where where you literally have to aim at stuff to interact with the game world - and a remake game at that, i just can't...

Listen, i love Capcom but this is pure bullshit and the fact that it hasn't been fixed - or even acknowledged - yet by them is just wrong not to mention incredibly lazy that it wasn't picked during playtesting.Where's the Quality control ?

I just got increasingly jaded with modern "AAAA gaems" and the state they release in, why even reward companies with such practices ?

It's in an awful state aaa industry. So many BS infuriating things lately

Evolved1

Someone please make a thread if they ever actually fix the game and I'll immediately buy it. I was genuinely so excited for this game. Then I downloaded the demo was like, wait.... what ... the... fuck. *long sigh*

Last edited:
Top Bottom