• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN/PS+ server issues

Gray Matter

With the amount of threads about the incompetence of PSN just this week alone, I decided to make this thread where all server issues can be discussed instead of having a new thread every other day.

I personally, along with many of you, have been affected by these problems. There are days when my PS4's UI doesn't function. The messages, trophies, friends list won't load, everything is wonky.

Here's to hoping Sony fixes the problem now that we are paying for PSN.

Alternative to fixing the problem

I've been experiencing some ridiculously slow loading times on my Friends List, Profile View and PS Store on the PS4 lately. The worst of which resulted in my friends list taking a whopping 10 minutes to load the online profiles. Needless to say I was rather peeved but I chalked it up to adding so many new friends via Destiny and Diablo GAF and just accepted it.

However, earlier this week my power briefly went out and upon booting up the PS4 again all UI functions were near instantaneous. So I decided to do a few tests the last 5 days and here is what I have found out:
If the PS4 is on for longer than 6 hours the slow down creeps in and gets progressively worse as time goes on.

Only time spent with an application/game in use or suspended appears to count towards the 6 hours. Simply leaving the PS4 on the UI with no applications/games running does not result in any slow down

Slow down seems to occur at the same rate no matter what application/game is running. I tested this running Netflix, Diablo 3, Destiny Beta app (currently just a screensaver), Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, Resogun, Amazon Video, and Trine 2. All began to experience UI slow down at roughly 6 hours active.

Standby mode does not reverse the slowdown but does restart the initial time it takes before the slowdown occurs . So PS4 4 hours on --> Standby ---> PS4 6 hours before slowdown.

A full system reboot (power off not standby) seems to remedy the issue 100% of the time.

This seems to parallel my experiences on the PC with memory leaks. Is there currently any way to measure hardware usage on the PS4? If so it would be easy enough to confirm or disprove my memory leak theory.

Regardless, prior to this I had been keeping my PS4 on standby constantly but discovering this I think I will be powering down after use every time until this issue is fixed.

So GAF if you have been experiencing slow down try a full system reboot to see if it remedies the situation. If it does consider a cold boot every gaming session to avoid further issues.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=128704715&postcount=1

BosSin

Today I couldn't play Destiny properly because it said I no longer had PS+ but my account still shows me as having PS+

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Looks like its back up now. All multiplayer options in Destiny are available. PSN store is up in NA.

Today I couldn't play Destiny properly because it said I no longer had PS+ but my account still shows me as having PS+
That happened to me one time. I've also been locked out of my digital purchases MANY times because it can't verify the lisence or some shit. Diablo 3 was the first and last retail digital game I get. Wish they'd go back to the way ps3 did it. Also yes, my ps4 is set as my primary account, I've done it several times and I still get locked out every now and then; when I do get locked out I need to reset the system once or twice

drotahorror

For several weekends, the friends list is sluggish as heck. Won't load, messages take forever to send/receive, sometimes my apps won't even load. Parties are very hard to start sometimes as well.

This has also carried over to weekdays as well.

GeNoMe

Trying to download Spelunky....but PSN won't let me :(((
E-82000113 error message is driving me insane!

adge_uk

Banned
They really need to start investing in their infrastructure. They do so much well - but the back-end being so shocking lets everything else down.

It's amazing in the worst way that Sony is doing so poorly with PSN. Step one after making a previously free service into a paid one is "don't fuck it up"

FeiRR

Banned
With the amount of threads about the incompetence of PSN just this week alone, I decided to make this thread where all server issues can be discussed instead of having a new thread every other day.

I personally, along with many of you, have been affected by these problems. There are days when my PS4's UI doesn't function. The messages, trophies, friends list won't load, everything is wonky.

Here's to hoping Sony fixes the problem now that we are paying for PSN.
You should quote this post in OP. It seems to solve the problems with slowdowns. Won't help when PSN is down, of course.

In recent weeks I hadn't seen much trouble at all, but in the past 24 hours I've now had issues with messages timing out when trying to send, and this morning I'm seeing other data services inactive.

I haven't had any of the troubles until this morning when people pointed it out and I then went to use the Sony Web Store.

My PS4 is in it's coffin on the way to heaven while I await for it's successor so if they are going to have issues ... now is the time I don't mind.

Violater

I'm convinced that developing and maintaining a contemporary and functional online infrastructure is just not in Sony's DNA.

This is perfect. I wonder why GAF doesn't have Stickies for these type of threads. It would be extremely helpful and super useful for other games as well.

Boke1879

Can someone get a list of Twitter handles for the playstation execs so we can tweet them about this issue.

That's the only way I see them even noticing the problem.

Can someone get a list of Twitter handles for the playstation execs so we can tweet them about this issue.

That's the only way I see them even noticing the problem.

I agree with this as well. Load this OT up with FAQs, who to contact etc, any troubleshooting before hand. Because clearly this shit is getting ridiculous. Sony needs to get royally pressed and called out for this shit. That transparency is not there.

satire77

I have an annoying problem on my ps4 ( and it seems to happen to many other people also).

When i enter the library app, where every game i have purchased is listed, on some of them, when i select them and press 'x' to try to access the game info and download button, the console automatically kicks me out of the library app.

BumRush

Luckily I have never had any of these issues. PSN is lightning fast for me on ps4 and vita (with ps3 being the exception). I downloaded Diablo 3 in a few minutes. I feel for all of you and hope that Sony invests in improved infrastructure.

Tratorn

Luckily I have never had any of these issues. PSN is lightning fast for me on ps4 and vita (with ps3 being the exception). I downloaded Diablo 3 in a few minutes. I feel for all of you and hope that Sony invests in improved infrastructure.

You probably don't have many (50 or even 100+?) people on your friendlist, right? Because the most of the problems occur when you have a certain amount of friends (online) and played one or more games for some time (so not right after the console was started).

I had like 250 friends and now I'm back to 150 and noticed that it's a bit better, but still really bad. I'll probably delete like 100+ more and see if it gets better then...

Gray Matter

You probably don't have many (50 or even 100+?) people on your friendlist, right? Because the most of the problems occur when you have a certain amount of friends (online) and played one or more games for some time (so not right after the console was started).

I had like 250 friends and now I'm back to 150 and noticed that it's a bit better, but still really bad. I'll probably delete like 100+ more and see if it gets better then...

I only have 60 and it's still slow for me

Late Flag

I noticed the exact same slowdown as described in the OP since I added a bunch of GAF friends lasts week (Driveclub). Weird that the network can't handle what seems like a really small bundle of information.

Download speeds are way better now than they were in the PS3 era. That's not what OP is talking about. The slowdown is with part of the UI.

buckeye13

Banned
Maybe it's time to bombard yosp with these comments. I have to admit, I was drinking the ps4 koolaid this gen, coming from 360, but the xbox one is becoming worlds better with their features since launch. Sonys exclusives and now network issues have been very disappointing this gen

Vlodril

Maybe it's time to bombard yosp with these comments. I have to admit, I was drinking the ps4 koolaid this gen, coming from 360, but the xbox one is becoming worlds better with their features since launch. Sonys exclusives and now network issues have been very disappointing this gen

why would you even start with the console war crap i have no idea.

As far as the topic goes i will add that i am also having the issue with the friend list (very slow, some times wont load at all and i got some friend requests notifications only to find them empty and they appeared a day afterwards).

also i am not sure if its a psn thing or on my end thing but in 2 diff locations and lines (200Mbps/10Mbps and 50Mbps/5bmps) the speed is capped at 23mbps for some reason and 2 to 3 up.

geordiemp

Glad people are starting to notice, I started rebooting Ps4 from cold when I start a session.

For the first few hours its usually fine.

why would you even start with the console war crap i have no idea.

People giving their opinion on something is "console war crap"?

As far as the topic goes i will add that i am also having the issue with the friend list (very slow, some times wont load at all and i got some friend requests notifications only to find them empty and they appeared a day afterwards).

also i am not sure if its a psn thing or on my end thing but in 2 diff locations and lines (200Mbps/10Mbps and 50Mbps/5bmps) the speed is capped at 23mbps for some reason and 2 to 3 up.

Why would you think it's on your end? You've got dozens of people in here making it quite clear it's not.

PSN as an entity has an organizational problem. PS1 games aren't PS1 games, they're PS3/PSP/PS Vita games. A lot of indie games that are cross-buy have either separate apps that clog up your download list, or multiple apps that are listed as multiple versions (the number of Flower and flOw apps I have in my downloads list is appalling)

On a design level it's a trainwreck. I truly hope that behind the scenes they're working on a PSN 2.0 that fixes a lot of these issues from the ground up, and everyone will just have to import their profiles to make everything compatible and keep their purchases. It's far from an easy fix, but they dug their own grave on this one

Chaplain

I think if someone were to compile a list of how many times PSN on PS4 had problems this year, that people would be surprised by how many incidents and how often they happen.

Purest 78

Hopefully the maintenance on Monday will fix the issues. After the last maintenance it was running great. This last week or so my friends list at times takes along time to load.

WilyRook

my ps4 download speed is at 41.7 kbps. I'm the furthest from a tech head but, I'm pretty sure that's a little low. On the other hand my upload is 480 kbps, which is a much higher number than 41.7!

Tuesday I got a lot of patches queued and my dl speed has significantly slowed. I'm only dl-ing Dust right now but it's taking way longer than normal. I've powered down my router, redone the connection to PS4 and did hard shut-downs on the systems but to no avail. Just saw there's scheduled fixes in a couple days so hopefully that'll do it.

I haven't had too many problems, TBH. The DDoS was am issue, obviously, and the free weekend really messed with messages and friend requests/list, but I've not had any issues playing online aside from those. That being said, I haven't tried to download this month's games or sync my trophies in a while.

My D/L speed for Destiny and Mordor was well over 6 MBps (note the uppercase B), so I haven't seen any problems on that front. Maybe having a wired connection helps?

Top Bottom