• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 - am I getting HDR or not..?

So, I've been using my PSVR2 for a couple or days and I wasn't really blown away by the HDR. Compared to my TV, the colors are far from black and the colors look almost washed-out.

To the point that it got me worried that HDR isn't even active.

So I checked the video output information in the PS5 system settings and this is what I got:

XHSujA5.jpg

Then I turned my TV on and got this:

9NKTZI9.jpg

It now says YUV422(HDR)

I'm not good at this technical stuff with HDR but is it supposed to look like this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Outlier

The screens in the headset operate differently from your TV.
The screens are OLED with HDR, so it should automatically enable it.

In conclusion: you should be fine.

Oh yeah. I believe the washed out look your experiencing may just be a limitation of the current technology.
I've played both GT7 and Horizon CotM and the brightness is generally dimmer in both games, when compared to my TV, but the lighting effects look great.

I just think we need another generation for the hardware to produce proper visuals.

Last edited:

Oh yeah. I believe the washed out look your experiencing may just be a limitation of the current technology.
I've played both GT7 and Horizon CotM and the brightness is generally dimmer in both games, when compared to my TV, but the lighting effects look great.

I just think we need another generation for the hardware to produce proper visuals.
Ok, thanks 🙂 I shouldn't be worried then.

I'm just a bit surprised since everyone is blown away by the colors, the blacks and the overall vibrancy. But maybe that's just compared to other headsets (which I haven't tried so I can't compare)?

I'm not trying to shit on the PSVR2 but claiming that they could replace sitting in a couch in front of an OLED TV is ridiculous.

I feel your pain OP. I just got my unit in this evening and after hearing the internet gush over the colors, blacks, quality, etc., I was expecting something special, but was confused because it wasn’t really that way from my experience. Now I’m in “adjust expectations” mode.
Yeah, me too. I was on the verge of returning it but when I dived in with more reasonable expectations I had a much better experience, and I think it will grow more and more on me 🙂

Ok, so I just noticed that when I start Horizon I get a message saying "This game supports HDR but your screen doesn't, check your settings bla bla" when using the VR headset.

Isn't that a bit odd?

Outlier

Ok, so I just noticed that when I start Horizon I get a message saying "This game supports HDR but your screen doesn't, check your settings bla bla" when using the VR headset.

Isn't that a bit odd?
That IS ODD. I haven't had this issue as the HDR is automatically on and i can't disable it, on the headset.

something might be wrong.

Top Bottom