• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 is picked up as a 1080p second screen when plugged to a PC. Controllers recognized too.

Leonidas

Hopefully Sony creates official drivers for it like they did for DualShock and DualSense.

No official driver was what kept me from ever buying the original PSVR, even though I had a PS4 for most of last generation.

Crayon

This is true. That's why I was saying that it's up to the execs to make VR work now. The tech is there.

This is where Jim Ryan will need to play it smart and play the long game, instead of being short-sighted and stupid. So far, Jim has been playing the long game for Playstation. His huge interest in PC is part of that. Allowing PSVR2 to unofficially be usable on PC should also be part of those plans.

It only helps the overall VR market, which in turn helps PSVR2 and a potential PSVR3. If the overall VR market does grow in the next 4-5 years, there will be no PSVR3.

Whether it's easy or hard for the community to make it work is definitely not an accident. Sony's brass and engineers can make it as hard or as easy as they want and I'm sure you are right that there is a strategic consideration there. It's not as binary as official supporter not.

Forsete

Gold Member
As much as I would like there to be official drivers, I think we can forget that.

Sony wants to sell VR for the PlayStation platform. Enough units to make it worthwhile for devs to make VR games for PS.
PlayStation is where they make money, not on PC.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
As much as I would like there to be official drivers, I think we can forget that.

Sony wants to sell VR for the PlayStation platform. Enough units to make it worthwhile for devs to make VR games for PS.
PlayStation is where they make money, not on PC.

I agree I doubt they would ever release official drivers, just hoping they don't try and block it with a firmware update or anything like that.

Crayon

I agree I doubt they would ever release official drivers, just hoping they don't try and block it with a firmware update or anything like that.

That is really how we'll know. If someone gets it working and sony tries to break it, then we know their intentions.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That is really how we'll know. If someone gets it working and sony tries to break it, then we know their intentions.

And if they break it, it'll show me that they don't really care about the VR market. Just short term Playstation profit.

Mr.Phoenix

Apparently, sony didn't lock anything. The PS5 has a USB C standard Virtuaink port (Basically combines DisplayPort + power + USB 3 data). Which was the officially certified connection for VR displays. Problem is, Nvidia stopped putting them in their GPUs after the 20 series, and I think only AMD still has support for them.

funny how a standard the PC established, ended up being supported by a console instead while the PC now has people using pronged cables for display, data and power when there is already a standard that has all that in one USB C cable. Gues the VR headset PC OEMs went their current route because it meant they didn't have to depend on the GPU/motherboard vendors for support of their headset.

Now, even if someone makes a driver that picks up headset and controller tracking n PSVR2, which wouldn't be that hard, people would still need to get a virtual link adaptor.

Crayon

Apparently, sony didn't lock anything. The PS5 has a USB C standard Virtuaink port (Basically combines DisplayPort + power + USB 3 data). Which was the officially certified connection for VR displays. Problem is, Nvidia stopped putting them in their GPUs after the 20 series, and I think only AMD still has support for them.

funny how a standard the PC established, ended up being supported by a console instead while the PC now has people using pronged cables for display, data and power when there is already a standard that has all that in one USB C cable. Gues the VR headset PC OEMs went their current route because it meant they didn't have to depend on the GPU/motherboard vendors for support of their headset.

Now, even if someone makes a driver that picks up headset and controller tracking n PSVR2, which wouldn't be that hard, people would still need to get a virtual link adaptor.

Damn, that is ironic. I didn't realize the situation was quite like that.

Well so far it seems easy enough to get into. We'll see when it's all working. Then if Sony turns a blind eye, we're home free and can use this thing on PC. \o/

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Is this for sure I thought the PS5 was just using USB-C alt mode, or is USB-C alt mode virtual link?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Is this for sure I thought the PS5 was just using USB-C alt mode, or is USB-C alt mode virtual link?
Yup... Virtualink is just one of many USB C alt modes. Its the reason why when you plug the PSVR2 into a 30/40 series card its not detected but when plugged into a 20 series card its detected.

The 20 series cards with a USB C display port support virtual link.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yup... Virtualink is just one of many USB C alt modes. Its the reason why when you plug the PSVR2 into a 30/40 series card its not detected but when plugged into a 20 series card its detected.

The 20 series cards with a USB C display port support virtual link.
My AMD RX 6900 XT also supports this, and I have an PSVR2 so I'm set for whatever comes out of this.

Gamerguy84

So didn't PSVR1 half ass work in PC? I read it wasn't worth going through the steps if you owned another headset which I do.

I am for this working on PC BTW. Being able to plug it into PC would be a cool option to have.

Now the problem is can they make capable drivers that work flawless, unlike PSVR1.

Banned
So didn't PSVR1 half ass work in PC? I read it wasn't worth going through the steps if you owned another headset which I do.

I am for this working on PC BTW. Being able to plug it into PC would be a cool option to have.

Now the problem is can they make capable drivers that work flawless, unlike PSVR1.

PSVR1 worked on PC yes, but PSVR1 is basically the worst headset you can use on a PC, outside of those super cheap Windows MR Headsets... and even some of those are better.

if they get PSVR2 working on PC it would be big tho as it is actually a really good headset it seems.
if I knew the headset works on both PC and PS5 I would get it instantly

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PSVR1 is basically the worst headset you can use on a PC, outside of those super cheap Windows MR Headsets... and even some of those are better.
I mean, all of them are better, even if they're the cheapest model with the worst screens and build quality their tracking and control layouts are well beyond PSVR and suffice for any game save for technical incompatibilities with WMR in general if a game has issues they never cared to fix for them.

Last edited:

Banned
I mean, all of them are better, even if they're the cheapest model with the worst screens and build quality their tracking and control layouts are well beyond PSVR.

you could mix a PSVR with a Valve Index Controller, but that of course would make the cost and setup even less worth it.

but yeah, even the headset tracking is pretty bad and not worth it on PC where you can get cheaper Windows MR headsets with decent inside-out tracking.
like a cheap Samsung Odyssey or something.

Last edited:

Kilau

Is there even a virtual link adaptor that would work with PSVR2?

Seems like we would need a reverse adaptor, one that takes the single USBC and splits it to power/data/video cables.

Banned

Seems like we would need a reverse adaptor, one that takes the single USBC and splits it to power/data/video cables.

some GPUs have USB-C video outputs, on Laptops especially this could work out that way.
alternatively of course someone could come up with a way to send the video through USB like on the Quest, but that would be more in-depth I bet.

But I bet there are some DP to USB-C adapters of some kind

Last edited:

Kilau

some GPUs have USB-C video outputs, on Laptops especially this could work out that way.
alternatively of course someone could come up with a way to send the video through USB like on the Quest, but that would be more in-depth I bet.

But I bet there are some DP to USB-C adapters of some kind
I did plug my PSVR2 into my laptop that has a USBC/DP. It’s how I connect it to my monitor since it has a USBC input.

Nothing detected, headset wasn’t getting any power, not sure if I need to fiddle with settings but likely it’s a no go since that port is directly connected to the 3070 in the laptop.

Banned
I did plug my PSVR2 into my laptop that has a USBC/DP. It’s how I connect it to my monitor since it has a USBC input.

Nothing detected, headset wasn’t getting any power, not sure if I need to fiddle with settings but likely it’s a no go since that port is directly connected to the 3070 in the laptop.

well of course it won't work out of the box.
but there was a guy on twitter who apparently thinks it's possible to make a custom software to use it on a PC.

I bet the headset waits for a signal from the device it is connected to, and it doesn't get that from a PC without any special software

we will see I guess.

Last edited:

Kilau

well of course it won't work out of the box.
but there was a guy on twitter who apparently thinks it's possible to make a custom software to use it on a PC.

we will see I guess.
Oh well I tried it because I read that it was picked up a second monitor and just wanted to see what would happen.

I wasn’t expecting VR or anything but maybe something.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

3070 doesn't have virtual link unless it's different for laptops.

Last edited:

Hoddi

Have people tried DisplayLink? I remember having to install this to make a USB-C to displayport cable or USB-C hub work or something but it worked after I ran this on my laptop

https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads
It wouldn't help with this unfortunately. DisplayLink is basically just a software GPU that encodes display signals on the fly so they can be sent it over regular USB.

It's mainly intended for office work where the whole display isn't updated very often. It's software encoding, basically.

onQ123

It wouldn't help with this unfortunately. DisplayLink is basically just a software GPU that encodes display signals on the fly so they can be sent it over regular USB.

It's mainly intended for office work where the whole display isn't updated very often. It's software encoding, basically.
oh but I was using a USB-C port that actually sent video out but I can't remember why I ended up using this to make a hub or cable work

Hoddi

USB-C alone isn't enough. Thunderbolt similarly uses USB-C but not all USB-C ports support Thunderbolt.

It's basically the same thing here.

Hoddi

oh but I was using a USB-C port that actually sent video out but I can't remember why I ended up using this to make a hub or cable work
Ya, USB-C is a bit of a shitshow since it's just a connector. Some USB-C ports support DP Alt mode while others also support Thunderbolt and yet others support VirtualLink.

In your case, it was possibly the dock that didn't accept video over USB-C. I know many Lenovo and HP docks support DisplayLink but not DP Alt mode over USB-C.

onQ123

Ya, USB-C is a bit of a shitshow since it's just a connector. Some USB-C ports support DP Alt mode while others also support Thunderbolt and yet others support VirtualLink.

In your case, it was possibly the dock that didn't accept video over USB-C. I know many Lenovo and HP docks support DisplayLink but not DP Alt mode over USB-C.

For the record my monitor is a USB-C monitor & it work hooked up directly to my surface but I was just checking out stuff for the hell of it & somehow that download worked with something that didn't work normally

Yes, it is promising.
Obviously, no promises can be made
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Top Bottom