• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Image Ltd

#Phonepunk#

Banned
O0MZHG-1478640387-1280x1280-646315151817.jpg

Who else loves Public Image Ltd? Tbh I am not a completionist but i have owned and loved many of their records and have fond memories of hearing "Poptones" on college radio in the early 2000s and songs like "Albatross" in the background while hanging out at indie rock dive bars and house parties.

PIL are from the first generation of post-punk. One of the original punk provocateurs Johnny Rotten, went on to do a krautrock-and-dub inspired experimental band, trading guitars for saxophones and tape loops. Early on the dub bass of Jah Wobble was a big influence over the sound, which was closer to Can than anything the Sex Pistols ever did. He left after the first two albums, which saw a constantly revolving lineup of drummers and performers that went recorded but unaccredited. Still they kept on making music and eventually, like so many great avant pop musicians (see Bowie) they accidentally got a pop hit.

the first photo in this post is the album cover for 1981's great Flowers of Romance, which features their videographer, Jeannette Lee. they had a lot of cool videos and performances as well as records.

a brief history from wikipedia, for people new to this group:

Public Image Ltd (abbreviated as PiL) are an English post-punk band formed by singer John Lydon, guitarist Keith Levene, bassist Jah Wobble, and drummer Jim Walker. The group's personnel has changed frequently over the years; Lydon has been the sole constant member.

Following his departure from the Sex Pistols in January 1978, Lydon sought a more experimental "anti-rock" project and formed PIL. That year PIL released their debut First Issue (1978), creating an abrasive, bass-heavy sound that drew on dub, noise, progressive rock and disco. PIL's second album Metal Box (1979) pushed their sound further into the avant-garde, and is often regarded as one of the most important albums of the post-punk era.

By 1984, both Levene and Wobble had departed and the group was effectively a solo vehicle for Lydon, who moved toward a more accessible sound with the commercially successful albums This Is What You Want... This Is What You Get(1984) and Album (1986). After a late 1990s hiatus, Lydon reformed the group in 2009 and has released several further albums, most recently What the World Needs Now... (2015).

anybody ever see them perform? or have a favorite song or album? or music video?

Last edited:
When I was younger, I was surprised and it took time for me to really "get" PiL. Love 'em. Still wish I got the reissue of 'Metal Box' and Religion II is one hell of a good song!

DiscoJer

The Order of Death is great. Definitely are more accessible than their (his, really) other stuff and got used in Miami Vice and apparently some movie I hadn't heard of (but did have a soundtrack album)

K1Expwy

The Order of Death is great. Definitely are more accessible than their (his, really) other stuff and got used in Miami Vice and apparently some movie I hadn't heard of (but did have a soundtrack album)

If gory horror in a Blade Runner-like backdrop is your idea of a good time, you should check out Hardware (it has a Bluray release). It's unofficially the first movie adaptation of the 2000 AD comics (as in it's plagiarized), years before any Judge Dredd movie. The plot is really simple and the pacing is slow, so it's not for everybody.

Last edited:
Top Bottom