• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publishers Donate to Earthquake Relief

Tenbatsu

8zha90.jpg

adriansang said:
Publishers have begun to announce donations and campaigns to support relief efforts following Friday's Tohoku earthquake.

Here's a list of some of the programs that have been announced. I'll update this page with more as they come to light.

(Header image: Alberto "Beto" Gonzales.)

Tecmo Koei
Donating 10 million yen to Japan Red Cross. Also taking donations from employees and the general public. (http://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/php/pdf/news_20110314_01.pdf)

Sega Sammy
Donating 200 million yen. (http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/pdf/release/infomation110314_01.pdf)

Yon-sama
Korean celebrity Bae Yong Joon, a household name in Japan and also the star of a couple of games (which is why I'm including him here), is donating 73 million yen. (Via Sankei MSN)

Nintendo posted a message of concern for quake victims at the front of its homepage.
Nintendo
Donation of 300 million yen. (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/message110314/index.html)

Namco Bandai
Donation of 100 million yen through parent Bandai Namco Group. The company will also be suspending operations in arcades where power conservation is needed, and will be holding back on events. (http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/110314/)

5pb.
As previously reported, 5pb. will slash the price of iOS Memories Off 6 T-Wave from ¥2,000 to ¥350 and will donate all sales of the app through March 31.

Sony
Sony Group (not just the games division) is giving a donation of 300 million yen and 30,000 radios. (http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/Press/201103/11-033/index.html).

There have been mentions of possible support as well. BlazBlue producer Toshimichi Mori said that he will discuss with Arc System Works the possibility of creating some sort of download content for PS3 and Xbox 360 and donating some of the proceeds to relief efforts.

Famitsu.com has been maintaining a list its own list of additional campaigns.

Please lock if old.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sony is donating... radios oO? The ones you put somewhere to listen to music?

Averon

Yoshi said:

You do know large areas in Japan are without power, right? Donating radios so people can get information makes sense.

Yoshi said:

could be emergency radios, when power goes out with no tv for news an FM/AM radio goes a long way of helping people keep up with warnings

What's that for Sony/Nintendo - about $3.5 million/£2.2million? Good start, and it's heartening to see companies like that making significant contributions (and donating radios is a great idea) - unfortunately, I think Japan's going to require a lot more before too long :-(

farnham said:
yonsama gives more money then tecmo koei lol

...and Sony/Nintendo/Namco/Sega etc. etc. gave more than both - so what? People and companies will give what they can afford, and I think it's stupid to play the "X gave more than Y" game. They're giving and that's what matters.

gogogow

Cosmonaut X said:
...and Sony/Nintendo/Namco/Sega etc. etc. gave more than both - so what? People and companies will give what they can afford, and I think it's stupid to play the "X gave more than Y" game. They're giving and that's what matters.
Yeah pretty much, in situations like this it's stupid to argue who gives more or who doesn't give "enough"... every little bit helps.

Tabris

kamorra said:
300 million yen from Sony and Nintendo? Uh, I don't know why but I expected more.

It's probabaly more important for Japan for those 2 to get back to business though.

kamorra said:
300 million yen from Sony and Nintendo? Uh, I don't know why but I expected more.
I was about to say the same thing. Nintendo has like a 10 or 15 billion dollar war chest from what I remember. 3.6 mil is kinda weak.

farnham

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
yeah i agree.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good for 'em.

Though I was expecting Konami to donate too.

Foffy

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Good for 'em.

Though I was expecting Konami to donate too.

They could donate one million troops to aid the rebuilding.

But seriously, this is such a kind gesture by these companies. Well, minus Microsoft's marketing efforts to donate, anyway..

Colocho

Banned
No publisher donated for Chile when we had the earthquake a year ago... nah this is great and very much needed.

MrHicks

Banned
while great and all its still depressing to see how batshit greedy some of these companies are

% wise the average joe sixpack probably donates more then these billion dollar behemoths for fucks sake

LiK

CozMick said:
And Microsoft? no didn't think so........

Too busy working out the marketing side of things first.
Checking to see how much everyone donates and then raise them. :p

Zizbuka said:
$100k? Seriously Microsoft?
I am not an expert on this, but I don't know if you should expect many American companies to donate a whole lot to another first world country which has a good about of money.

(Not trying to say that donating is a bad idea at all, nor that they don't need money. Just that they may not be in as dire need of money as some other countries.)

Either way, every little bit helps. So it isn't necessarily nice to make it a contest to see who is "better" for donating or helping the most.

Why would you do that? said:
Either way, every little bit helps. So it isn't necessarily nice to make it a contest to see who is "better" for donating or helping the most.

Microsoft is being criticized for using the disaster to market Bing, then donates 100K because people were outraged by them trying to profit from this disaster.

Cow Mengde said:
Microsoft is being criticized for using the disaster to market Bing, then donates 100K because people were outraged by them trying to profit from this disaster.
No, I'm smh about that, too, but it seemed that particular post was complaining about the amount of money donated.

I could be wrong, though. It was an assumption...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cow Mengde said:

Sorry for not following but what's the story behind this?

Boney

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Sorry for not following but what's the story behind this?
It was posted just above. They were doing one dollar per tweet or something. Don't use Twitter so I don't really know what it means.

zoku88

Boney said:
It was posted just above. They were doing one dollar per tweet or something. Don't use Twitter so I don't really know what it means.
A retweet is when you take a message that you see and basically rebroadcast it to all of your followers.

Top Bottom